Lets Fix The STRATOS (Thread title changed.)

United States
The U.S
Blu_Subaru22
This thread is dedicated to make the most erratic rally car more controllable. Heres My first set of settings

TCS: 10
Active steering: strong

Aerodynamics: f 13 R 32
Ride height 0 both
Spring rate: 2 both
Damper 2 both
Camber angle: 0.0 both
Toe F 0.00 R 0.20

Last edited:
TCS: 10
Active steering: strong

Well with these 2 enabled, it sort of ruins any cars traits right off the bat. It does certainly do the job of calming any car down however. I don't think the Stratos Rally car was meant to be very drivable, heh. Or at least not with digital throttle control anyway.

I agree with pl-destroy, driving aids, especially at some high levels (TCS10?) just kill the fun and the traits of the cars, I think that if you really like the Lancia Stratos you should learn to control it without aids, you'll see how much funny will be when you tame it.

TCS 10 is overkill, and active steering just muddles up the car's characteristics at the limit (making it even harder to drive IMO). Try TCS at 3, active steering off, and:
- Raise ride height
- Higher downforce at the rear
- Softer rear springs & dampers
- More rear camber
- Negative front toe

After that, practice practice practice.

TCS 10: why? Because the car seems to throw a tantrum in gear 2. TCS 10 will significally decrease the timing it takes to go to gear 3.

Geeeeeezzzz!!, no tcs? I can never do that.

I just recently lowered the ride height to the front it feels a little easier now.
Im sort of a noob when it comes to suspension. But i still manage.

Well with these 2 enabled, it sort of ruins any cars traits right off the bat. It does certainly do the job of calming any car down however. I don't think the Stratos Rally car was meant to be very drivable, heh. Or at least not with digital throttle control anyway.

I know but i want to drive it.

But in the road when i set the TCS on 5 and active steering is off it handles pretty well.

Ok heres a slight update:

Yeah i noticed my car can move better on TCS 7. So i guess i can reduce it by 3

I set the spring rates on 5 and 2

Ride height on front is -10 (not entirely familiar with it post a reply if im doing it wrong)

Damper is 5 and 2

Ok i shall continue to run constant test runs all through out the day

I've been finding that at least on road races, in a real wheel drive car the best way to get rid of excessive oversteer is to make sure your ride height in the rear is alot lower than it is in the front. you should also increase the spring rate in the rear depending how much lower. I got way to used to driving the Veyron around & the GTR & the Skyline M Spec Nur (best skyline I think) that I was having trouble with real wheel drive cars. once I changed the suspension on them, I had no trouble at all. It may just me with that problem but I do know that if you want less oversteer, make your car lower in the rear

I've been finding that at least on road races, in a real wheel drive car the best way to get rid of excessive oversteer is to make sure your ride height in the rear is alot lower than it is in the front. you should also increase the spring rate in the rear depending how much lower. I got way to used to driving the Veyron around & the GTR & the Skyline M Spec Nur (best skyline I think) that I was having trouble with real wheel drive cars. once I changed the suspension on them, I had no trouble at all. It may just me with that problem but I do know that if you want less oversteer, make your car lower in the rear

Thats my best bet but i want to know if adjusting the ride height to the positive side lowers my ride or raises the car.

Alright i did what you guys requested. I set the tcs on 5 and turned off the active steering off and did the following adjustments:

Aerodynamics: 13 and 32
Ride height : -1 and 1
Spring rate: 3 and 2
Damper: 8 and 6 (originally 7 and 9 but made a slight mix up)

The rest is default.

Yeah people werent happy about the whole TCS and active steering, so i developed a tamed stratos without them ( set back to 5 and turned off active steering) i apologize i was just trying to make the rally car stable on dirt.

Ride height -5 and 5

Spring rate 3 and 2

Damper 8 and 6

The rest is default.

Alright despite not too much practice, i still got the hang of it. I can handle it fine. The TCS is 5 and Active steering is off. Again i am sorry for such noobish settings it won't happen again. (I hope)

Last edited:
Update: 1/12/10

Changed a few settings for the BETTER! Heres what I changed:

Ride height: -10 and 10

Spring rate: 6 and 4

Damper: 8 and 6

The rest isnt adjusted.

I also listed a few do's and don't's:

Do:

Counter steer when starting a dirt race (does steer on its own)

Keep letting the car use gas after completing a turn

Drive some what slower in turns in S rank races to prevent massive screw ups from ruin you at the last minute. But only in 1st place should this happen.

Do expect to do some counter steering after going in the air from a hill jump. Its going to need a lot of thumb work to keep still and from going erractic.

Don'ts

Hold gas while drifting

Go above the recommended gear shifts in turns( the red number that flashes)

Well thats all I have to offer so far.

Last edited:
Is the Stratos a particularly horrible car to drive stock? Are there other cars worth tuning to fix the handling? I haven't driven many cars in the game yet, but I definitely plan on getting the Stratos.

Is the Stratos a particularly horrible car to drive stock? Are there other cars worth tuning to fix the handling? I haven't driven many cars in the game yet, but I definitely plan on getting the Stratos.

Well if it was easy (for me) this forum would exist heheh.

Yeah i find it really difficult. The main thing is cars that are MR, FR, and RR are rediculous to drive on dirt. Cars like 4WD and FF don't seem to have a random drifting problem when pressing the gas. Cars like the RX-7 bathurst like to oversteer the slightest turn. Even when you just started the race, and you only pressed the accelerator, it wants to steer to the nearest wall.

Drivetrain that will need slight assisstance: FR MR and RR. So keep that in mind.

Are there other cars worth tuning to fix the handling?
Certainly. Unlike GT5P, where all tracks are flat like a pancake, there are several tracks in GTPSP that are rather bumpy and/or have large elevation differences (or both, like Nurb). Many of the race cars and concepts require tuning to dial out nasty behavior (e.g. raising the ride height on the Mazda Furai will make it a lot easier to drive fast on the Nurb with Pro physics and all aids off).

Certainly. Unlike GT5P, where all tracks are flat like a pancake, there are several tracks in GTPSP that are rather bumpy and/or have large elevation differences (or both, like Nurb).

The Mulsanne straight at La Sarthe is bumpy as hell too. When I did my first lap there it was quite a scary experience (never driven La Sarthe in any other game before). I sure hope GT5 keeps the bumpiness of these tracks and not make them all silky smooth like in GT5P.

The Mulsanne straight at La Sarthe is bumpy as hell too. When I did my first lap there it was quite a scary experience (never driven La Sarthe in any other game before). I sure hope GT5 keeps the bumpiness of these tracks and not make them all silky smooth like in GT5P.

Geez i hope they dont make the same mistake twice.

Ok. Like the title says, i'm not dealing with the stratos rally car anymore. No matter what i do for it to be decent on dirt, it fails. Made it only 5% easier. i cant stand it anymore. No one is helping me all they are doing is "make this softer" or "raise this and that" but when i browse through this site i see SPECIFIC tune ups for cars no one really wants to drive. Conviently no one made specific tune ups for the lancia stratos rally car.

So heres is my question: what is it about a cool rally car being so impossible to drive on dirt? Why is it feel difficult to drive on dirt but easy on the road?

Back