Lets see what your operating system is (version 2.0)

Whats your OS?

• Windows 95

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Windows 98

Votes: 6 13.0%
  • Windows 2000 pro

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • Windows ME

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • Windows XP

Votes: 15 32.6%
  • Windows XP pro

Votes: 15 32.6%
  • Linux

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Mac OS (please specify)

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • OS? whats an OS?

Votes: 1 2.2%

• Total voters
For what it's worth, XP is the first (again IMHO) decent OS that M$ has delivered... It's the first system that won't crash on me in a daily basis...

But I think your list is pretty much it. I'm not sure if I want ME of 98SE at 3rd place.. But who cares.. It's 16Bit written for 32Bit processors.. Simply Craptacular...

I always heard that ME has poor memory management, bad hard drive management and crashes alot. ( based on personal expirence also)

Im running 2000 as I have told already. Its very good. and stable

Not sure.. As far as I recall, both 98SE and ME we're pretty crappy..

And yes - 2000 is ok.. Once it has been patched to at least SP3 ;)

Originally posted by Matrixhasu77
Oh you know... that thing that drove me out of my mind trying to put up with its daily tantrums and it's consistant behavior of somehow managing to devour itself inside out everyday just to force me to spoon feed it the kill switch. :odd: Even 8.5 never complained as much as 9 did on that computer...
:lol:

I guess I was lucky then to make a straight jump from 8.6 to OS X 10.2 (and gad, what a jump!). Surely you're desperate enough to plunk down some money for a new G4 iBook? ;)

XP Pro using 120 GBs

Mandrake Linux 9.1 on 40 GBs
( Cant wait for them to release the ISO of 9.2 )
Considering switching to Red Hat though

-Spets

Originally posted by Viper_Maniac
You got that setup as a dual boot?

Why you conisdering Red Hat?

yea, its a LILO boot manager

I like Mandrake a lot but it's been really unstable for me in the past. Sometimes im in the middle of a project, I try to boot into linux and it tells me that hda7( the partition with /home ) needs to be checked, so I go through all of the checking and restart the computer...try to boot linux and same thing. I ran into this problem many many times, I've been really lucky because I am constantly backing up data on another server so I dont loose anything of great value. It's just a hassle to set everything back up knowing that it may go bad next time I try to boot linux again.

-Spets

Originally posted by xAkirax2004
I always heard that ME has poor memory management,

Apparently ME doesn't like anything more then 768mb of ram.

I'm on ME now, but on my new computer I'll be running XP Pro.

I wouldn't mind setting up a file server or whatever, just tool around with linux...

Originally posted by xAkirax2004
Ive just always wondered...what is the best Windows OS?

Ive always thought it went like this...

1. Xp pro/home
2. 2000 pro
3. '95
4. '98
5. ME

Anyone think they could change this who would know this expirence?

The first two places are definitely occupied by XP and 2000, but their order depends on your preference, I think. It's not widely known that Windows 2000 is actually Windows NT 5.0, and Windows XP is Windows NT 5.1.

With that in mind, the list would be:

1. 2000 Pro
2. XP Pro
3. XP Home
4. NT 4
5. 98SE
6. 98
7. 95
8. 3.11
9. Me

I can't believe anyone fell for the Me gag - all it was was Windows 98 re-skinned to look like 2000. And Windows 9x shared far too much code with 3.1 for my liking.

Originally posted by GilesGuthrie
It's not widely known that Windows 2000 is actually Windows NT 5.0, and Windows XP is Windows NT 5.1.
Well I did know that XP is just a spruced up version of 2000...

Originally posted by Sage
:lol:

I guess I was lucky then to make a straight jump from 8.6 to OS X 10.2 (and gad, what a jump!). Surely you're desperate enough to plunk down some money for a new G4 iBook? ;)

Too late.. I bought myself an AMD 2100+ system back in January. Its not the most highend system now but it plays computer games extremely well. If I can I would like to get an iBook or something similar for college so I can have portability. The main reason I got a pc is the cost though. Macs are so darn expensive.

2000 Pro on my personal and work machines. I know a lot of people love XP, but in the short time I've used it, I've hated it. I love 2000's reliability and its classically attractive, intuitive interface.

I'm with big GeeGee on this one...W2KPro is the only MS OS thats worth the money...very relaible...and its aesthetically pleasing too...very nice....:)

It's not widely known that Windows 2000 is actually Windows NT 5.0

I knew that...(built on NT technology?) ...i used to use NT4 workstation...then i got a PC with ME installed...i used it for a week, liked the look of it and hated the performance and whipped it off my system as soon as i got 2000 pro....

i just love the little shadow under the mouse pointer...isnt that the coolest thing?....on this PC its still windows 98se....(blame teh technicians) but at home its different..:)

• Windows 2000 Pro Beta 3
  • Windows Xp Home
  • Windows Xp Pro Corp
  • Windows 95 (for dos games)
  • ArkLinux Alpha 1-6.2.0
  • ArkLinux Alpha 1-8.2.0
  • RedHad Linux 9

Windows 2000 Pro.

It's just so much leaner than XP, Home or Pro.

I never did care for that fancy blue XP stuff. Even though you could make it look "classic" XP still uses like 30% more of your system than 2000 Pro does.

I'm thinking about giving Linux a try, to see what it's about. Didn't know it was free...

Anyways, this is how I would rank them:
2000 Pro
XP Pro
XP
98SE

I can't believe anyone fell for the Me gag - all it was was Windows 98 re-skinned to look like 2000. And Windows 9x shared far too much code with 3.1 for my liking.

It came with the computer.

I would install XP Pro on this machine, but my mum isn't very confident in my abilities to do so.

Originally posted by Cobraboy
It came with the computer.

I would install XP Pro on this machine, but my mum isn't very confident in my abilities to do so.
What!? I format and reinstall Windows all the time, and I can't even install a second HDD properly.

lol.

Your mom doesn't trust your capabilities? Well, as long as you have a CD-Burner you would think she would be okay with it.

I've been doing that stuff for a while, and I do it all the time. There is like no risk involved. You could always image the HD before attempting a new OS install and if you mess up just return to your previous state.

on this one im running xp home on my old one that my moms bf has i had 98se and on the rental i had for a few months i had me and i like it had no trouble whatso ever with it never crashed or did anything funny unlike this xphome does

Back