Lexus IS F CCS-R '11 One Lap Time Trial: Nürburgring 24H

• Thread starter JogoAsobi
  • 424 comments
Yeah, I understand HOW to drive the car. The HOW isn't the problem. The problem is that the car doesn't always respond the same with the same inputs.
Ive even gone so far as to take long looks at the telemetry data, and see where my breaking and acceleration points are in comparative laps, and they are within milliseconds of each other. Yet, despite the consistency of the driver inputs, sometimes the car will rotate under throttle, and sometimes it will hopelessly plow towards the guardrail, and on rarer occasions, it will try to swap ends. I have literally lost my lap on the right hander into Hohenrain because the car suddenly decides to not turn in.

This car is an absolute pile...
Well one thing is that yoy have to be as close to the inner cerb as you can since there seems to be a lot more grip there! And yeah, dont touch the cerb or you are dead!

Assuming that the game does a good at simulating real life, there are other forces at work than just driver inputs. Car speed, Yaw, weight transfer and/or road imperfections are just some of the things that can affect how a car reacts at a given moment. Also you need to take into account how abrupt your inputs might be. Simply lifting off the throttle while cornering is enough to send some cars into a spin.

While watching my replay there are some high speed sections where the car will bounce and slide ever so slightly as the weight comes back down, then the tires regain grip and grab on to the track as if they were claws. It's a beautiful thing.

Youre preaching tot he choir here. I have about 18 years of real racing experience, so all of that is well understood. Considering that touring car, and rally have been the two areas of motorsport i have focused my racing "career" (if you can call it that) on... things like weight management, inertia, and suspension movement are three of the primary handling characteristics that you need to manage, and exploit to get fast times.

When this event first started, i was very excited to get into a heavier, softer, more inertia based touring car. As i felt i would suit me well, and man have i been sorely disappointed.

Though, i should say that thus far, i have only been trying with the DS3, tomorrow i will get out the wheel and see if that makes any difference. If i get it first lap out, i am going to be a little pissed.

Youre preaching tot he choir here. I have about 18 years of real racing experience, so all of that is well understood. Considering that touring car, and rally have been the two areas of motorsport i have focused my racing "career" (if you can call it that) on... things like weight management, inertia, and suspension movement are three of the primary handling characteristics that you need to manage, and exploit to get fast times.
Well I have no experince in actual racing at all, but this one felt like you have to be right on the money whit timing and rythm to be fast. Once I got that brake lift off timed whit gear down change and turn in I started to go faster. And I'm quite sure this would be easyer whit wheel, becouse it's a lot easyer to notice the weight chance (I think)but havent really played whit pad since gt3 so cant really be sure !

I've got a bizarre data log comparison of my fastest lap and a more recent go. The recent one is 15 seconds slower than the best... yet, if I'm just looking at all four wheel speed recordings... I should have been hugely better off time wise than I clocked. (I need less time for my ailing father and just a few seconds of conscious reasoned thought to follow up on my 'observation'.) But, what an odd thing to see.

Back