Lift off throttle on controller am I going crazy

I'm not lucky enough to play Forza5 on a wheel, so I'm playing with a controller, one thing I find really weird is when I lift of the throttle eg depressing the throttle, it feels like the engine is engaged for too long, its like it's still pulling but I'm not giving it any gas. Is this realistic in a manual car if I don't kick the clutch while lifting off the gas.

This is most apparent when I'm unintentionally power sliding and I want to lift off the gas to stop the drift, but because the car still seems to pull the car, it keeps drifting smoking the tires even though I'm completely off the gas

Thats kinda car physics 101 - you lift off the gas, the weight transfers forward, unloads the rear wheels, and you spin. A light application of throttle to keep the weight on the back wheels, but not spin the tires up too much is the best way to recover from a slide. Of course, if its too far gone there isn't much you can do.

I also always purchase the race diff for ALL of my cars regardless of class. You can set the second slider (the name escapes me) lower to help keep the drivetrain lash a little less when braking into a corner. Also with higher horsepower rwd cars, downshifting while turning and braking is a bad combo (as it is IRL) - will snap the rear end out.

Thanks for the tip but it doesn't seem like you are answering my question, i'm not talking about spinning out, i'm talking about how the engine is still pulling when I lift off the throttle. It's pulling hard enough to break the tires from the cement even though I'm completely off the throttle. Yes if I wait a split second longer it will stop pulling but it feels like it pulls too long after I lift off the throttle. However maybe this is how a manual car drives in real life? if the clutch is still engage, lifting off the throttle completely will still keep the tires spinning hard enough to break the grip threshold. Not sure?

I have since played with the control deadzone settings but it still feels a little off. Need to play this on a wheel
Thats kinda car physics 101 - you lift off the gas, the weight transfers forward, unloads the rear wheels, and you spin. A light application of throttle to keep the weight on the back wheels, but not spin the tires up too much is the best way to recover from a slide. Of course, if its too far gone there isn't much you can do.

I also always purchase the race diff for ALL of my cars regardless of class. You can set the second slider (the name escapes me) lower to help keep the drivetrain lash a little less when braking into a corner. Also with higher horsepower rwd cars, downshifting while turning and braking is a bad combo (as it is IRL) - will snap the rear end out.

is your tv set to pc or game? that will give the delay some times if it isn't, but besides that i'd have to see a video because i haven't encountered a delay in throttle

Thanks for the tip but it doesn't seem like you are answering my question, i'm not talking about spinning out, i'm talking about how the engine is still pulling when I lift off the throttle. It's pulling hard enough to break the tires from the cement even though I'm completely off the throttle. Yes if I wait a split second longer it will stop pulling but it feels like it pulls too long after I lift off the throttle. However maybe this is how a manual car drives in real life? if the clutch is still engage, lifting off the throttle completely will still keep the tires spinning hard enough to break the grip threshold. Not sure?

I have since played with the control deadzone settings but it still feels a little off. Need to play this on a wheel

I am answering it - your issue is weight transfer, not "pulling" - the engine is also braking as well, so the car doing is two things when entering a corner - it has very little weight over the rear, and the engine is also braking your rear wheels as you are off the throttle. There are more advanced techniques such as left foot braking while applying throttle but that seems to be a bit farther along than where you are.

It not just manual cars although due to no torque converter, when the engine is off the gas there is 100% engine braking with a manual car. There is no pulling though; is just that when driving very fast you have to be mindful of where the weight is shifted on the car - brake and throttle are the only things that effect this really, at least front to back. Steering of course will shift it right to left.

Try this to see what I'm talking about - buy the Ford Focus ST, and brake going into a corner, and then turn with no throttle applied. The rear end will step out - when you apply gas, the rear end will step back inline - this is weight transfer, and car physics 101 - I use that car as an example because its front wheel drive, so the engine has no bearing in this case, and because it has heavy lift off oversteer - I have to drive that car into a corner either on the brake, or on the gas - usually both - will have the gas applied to pull the back end in line, and the brake applied to keep from overspeeding the corner - two benefits; no wild slide that you have to correct, and no turbo lag when exiting the corner.

edit: I am also on a wheel so throttle and brake control are a bit easier, for me anyway - I am still impressed with the new controllers ability to tell you when you are sliding though, so I am sure controller experts can do this just as easily, I am just not one of those :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the long detailed answer, but I still think you are still talking about something entirely different.
I do by the way heal toe and left foot brake when the situation demands I shift the weight of the car to the front in Forza 4 and GT5/GT6 on a CSR-Elite using custom board to work with TH8RS Shifter. However what I'm talking about feels more like a delay. I do have my TV in game mode and the throttle response is good, its only when I lift off the throttle that it feels awkward, but maybe its because I'm use to the possibly incorrect physics of GT5/GT6.

The test I'm doing is taking any high power RWD car and performing a donut, when I lift off the throttle, the time it takes for the car to stop seems longer than it should. I however do not know how real life cars react in this situation so I'm asking you this. No I am not talking about weight shifting of the car when I lift off the throttle.

I am answering it - your issue is weight transfer, not "pulling" - the engine is also braking as well, so the car doing is two things when entering a corner - it has very little weight over the rear, and the engine is also braking your rear wheels as you are off the throttle. There are more advanced techniques such as left foot braking while applying throttle but that seems to be a bit farther along than where you are.

It not just manual cars although due to no torque converter, when the engine is off the gas there is 100% engine braking with a manual car. There is no pulling though; is just that when driving very fast you have to be mindful of where the weight is shifted on the car - brake and throttle are the only things that effect this really, at least front to back. Steering of course will shift it right to left.

Try this to see what I'm talking about - buy the Ford Focus ST, and brake going into a corner, and then turn with no throttle applied. The rear end will step out - when you apply gas, the rear end will step back inline - this is weight transfer, and car physics 101 - I use that car as an example because its front wheel drive, so the engine has no bearing in this case, and because it has heavy lift off oversteer - I have to drive that car into a corner either on the brake, or on the gas - usually both - will have the gas applied to pull the back end in line, and the brake applied to keep from overspeeding the corner - two benefits; no wild slide that you have to correct, and no turbo lag when exiting the corner.

edit: I am also on a wheel so throttle and brake control are a bit easier, for me anyway - I am still impressed with the new controllers ability to tell you when you are sliding though, so I am sure controller experts can do this just as easily, I am just not one of those :)

Thanks for the long detailed answer, but I still think you are still talking about something entirely different.
I do by the way heal toe and left foot brake when the situation demands I shift the weight of the car to the front in Forza 4 and GT5/GT6 on a CSR-Elite using custom board to work with TH8RS Shifter. However what I'm talking about feels more like a delay. I do have my TV in game mode and the throttle response is good, its only when I lift off the throttle that it feels awkward, but maybe its because I'm use to the possibly incorrect physics of GT5/GT6.

The test I'm doing is taking any high power RWD car and performing a donut, when I lift off the throttle, the time it takes for the car to stop seems longer than it should. I however do not know how real life cars react in this situation so I'm asking you this. No I am not talking about weight shifting of the car when I lift off the throttle.

My mistake then! Sorry for misunderstanding. But then this is accurate below:

So I know what you are talking about but that is a weird test :) - I too have the same thing happen if I am doing donuts - you lift of the throttle and it takes awhile to stop spinning - and no, that is not the way cars behave irl - I think its a weird inertia model that fm5 has - it does the same thing with awd cars too in a spin - quite funny on a replay is a high horsepower awd car at full throttle and full lock - when you lift off the gas it takes 2 or 3 spins at full speed to stop rotating - and I don't think that is accurate (does not have an awd car) - I can say that with a rwd car that is not accurate though - you lift off the throttle, it stops spinning pretty immediately - I have my rim scratched to prove it, and yes I drive a manual transmission :)

But that is an odd test unless its just for laughs - I am not sure the physics model with Forza 5 is supposed to be or was bothered with to be accurate when cutting donuts :D

My mistake then! Sorry for misunderstanding. But then this is accurate below:

So I know what you are talking about but that is a weird test :) - I too have the same thing happen if I am doing donuts - you lift of the throttle and it takes awhile to stop spinning - and no, that is not the way cars behave irl - I think its a weird inertia model that fm5 has - it does the same thing with awd cars too in a spin - quite funny on a replay is a high horsepower awd car at full throttle and full lock - when you lift off the gas it takes 2 or 3 spins at full speed to stop rotating - and I don't think that is accurate (does not have an awd car) - I can say that with a rwd car that is not accurate though - you lift off the throttle, it stops spinning pretty immediately - I have my rim scratched to prove it, and yes I drive a manual transmission :)

But that is an odd test unless its just for laughs - I am not sure the physics model with Forza 5 is supposed to be or was bothered with to be accurate when cutting donuts :D
thanks for finding the quote but although its not a donut simulator it is a powerslide simulator and playing on controller it seems un nessarily hard to correct from a powerslide because of the strange input delay

thanks for finding the quote but although its not a donut simulator it is a powerslide simulator and playing on controller it seems un nessarily hard to correct from a powerslide because of the strange input delay

K. I do not suffer from this issue whatsoever then, no throttle lag on either controller, or wheel. I still say weight transfer, but hey - I gave it a shot, several times, and now you ARE saying its an issue with powersliding off throttle(when you said it was an issue only with donuts???) after I told you why you were having issues with power slides off throttle but do what ya wan with that info mang, maybe if you ask enough times someone will give you the magic answer that you like.

Hmmm im not getting your logic at all in my world doing a donut is a powerslide but in a full circle now if the physics are off on donuts its off on powerslides because a donut is a powerslide. You can talk about it like its different if you want, thanks for atleast testing it maybe it only more pronounce in some cars im using an Aston Martin Vanquish
K. I do not suffer from this issue whatsoever then, no throttle lag on either controller, or wheel. I still say weight transfer, but hey - I gave it a shot, several times, and now you ARE saying its an issue with powersliding off throttle(when you said it was an issue only with donuts???) after I told you why you were having issues with power slides off throttle but do what ya wan with that info mang, maybe if you ask enough times someone will give you the magic answer that you like.

Thats called drifting. Donuts the front wheels don't really move forward very much. Do not own the Vanquish but I would indeed purchase the race lsd for it and drop the second slider way, way down just to see if that helps.

<-- does not drift sorry

Latest Posts

Back