Lighting and Night Racing

  • Thread starter Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 62 comments
  • 4,805 views
lil_viper
live4speed
Neons, in a GT game, do you take Gran Turismo seriousely or do you wish it was shoved into a blender with NFS:Underground?
I said I know it will never be in the game. I was just giving ideas of what would be cool to see.....geeze!!!:trouble:
Live4speed, I think you're ditching out this idea too fast, as are other people. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely HATE nfsu. It sucks in every possible way (cept for online). But I think that neons on my stock model t would look pretty damn cool. You (of course) would have the option not to put them on. I am, again, NOT a "all looks, no racing" type of guy. I understand the purpose of "body kits" and "aesthetics". My point is, they wouldn't slow down the car at all, just add a few ounces onto it. But only on night tracks, such as SSR or the upcoming Paris Rally Tarmac (in the other forum). It wouldn't be used on F1 cars, race cars, etc. Only road cars. It's sketchy :indiff: , but may please all those "N0s"s out there. ;)

EDIT: John, some great ideas bud, but could you please cut down on the length of those posts? It took me a half an hour to read this thread...

I like the idea of a different weather effects. Instead of a sunset for Laguna or a bright, sunny day for Grand Valley, you can either pick the time of day or it would be included in the "race information" in the Sim mode. Headlights for night races would be freakin awesome, imagine doin Lowe's turn with nothing but your headlights...no look to the side, no look behind you. It would make for a VERY tough Formula GT (if the AI improves like their supposed to). I love it. 👍
 
TriplePlay
EDIT: John, some great ideas bud, but could you please cut down on the length of those posts? It took me a half an hour to read this thread...

People are free to express themselves however they choose too. I'd rather have to deal with 3 pages of text that's not verbose crap than read another 'tunner cars are teh kool' thread.
 
Night racing & Lighting... Now this would be really sweet...

I don't know how many of you really drive in real life though but at night if someone is behind you all you can see in your rear view mirror is two (or more depending on how many cars are behind you!) white lights in it... So if they were to do this realistically the rear view would become pretty much useless... especially if they had proper race lights on the cars like they do in the night stages of the rally...

And there's another thought... Night stages on the rally... That would also be sweet!! I remember some of the old Rally games like Colin McRae 2 that had some pretty good effects for night time racing with various different bits of the track being lit up in real time depending on which way you were facing (And the occasional blinding photograph that really pissed/put you off!!)

I would like to see GT4 have better lighting effects than previous GT's and I would also like to see changing light conditions... like for instance the SSR11 enduro could start in the middle of the night and as you raced the sun could start coming up... (And the ferris wheel would get turned off at 4 in the morning or something!)

C.
 
In revival of this topic, I decided to think. Maybe the lights are realistic as is. But when you look at "Le Mans 24 Hours" and even "Grand Theft Auto: Vice City," the lights are pretty bright and very vibrant. But I think from a distance, if a car is way behind you at night, the only thing you're "supposed" to see are just those blinding lights. And it isn't until he/she comes closer that you really begin to wonder.

So if the lighting is more powerful, when you see the Oreca Dodge Viper, you should see from pretty bright amber lights in which light up a lot of the course ahead. But so far, one game I remember playing which did the lighting just about right was Need for Speed 3 on PC. I remember night racing in a Corvette or something on that mountain course. While I was speedfreaking trying not to get arrested, when I saw my lights on, I can see a lot of the course brightened around my way. Then, NFS3 had an interesting approach. If you turn on your lights in one instance, you get your normal lights. But if you press the key to turn on your lights again, your highbeams will be used while driving. If you're in racing, I'd guess you want to use your highbeams with such features. But if you have lights, maybe you can press L3 or R3 (i.e., the Analog stick buttons) to flicker your lights to get people to move out of the way. By then, at least the lighting will be brighter if only for an instant. I kept seeing that old rally car in Photo Mode at San Marco, and I can imagine the car would be much brighter with all the lights on. I don't think GT4 is restricting brighter lights, just that, maybe lighting can be enhanced without being too bright or too blinding.

What do you think? Or do you have anything to contribute to this?
 
NFS3, IMO, did the best job with a night race. RSC2 has also done an excellent job with night rallying,. Your headlights, and just a very few other things should be able to help you.

Now for example, the desert courses in RSC2, you could see the moon, and stars. When it was raining, lightning would light up everything. I think PD could learn from RSC2's night courses.
 
JohnBM01
flicker your lights to get people to move out of the way.
Oh the silent horn eh? :)
The only question is, would the AI's move? Also they could be used to distract drivers infront of you, I remember watching the end oh an alms race were a 550ferrari was right on the bumber of a C5 r. It was flickering it's high beams as fast as it could trying to get the vette to mess up. It would be nice to have that sort of ability but I could see it getting cheap/annoying.
 
I don't think the 550 did that. See if a car is behind a slower car, and wants to pass, the blue flag will be waved, and that would mean the C5R needs to move so the 550 can get by. The R-GT at Infineon, got the blue flag because a faster Porsche was trying to pass.
 
McLaren F1GTR
I don't think the 550 did that. See if a car is behind a slower car, and wants to pass, the blue flag will be waved, and that would mean the C5R needs to move so the 550 can get by. The R-GT at Infineon, got the blue flag because a faster Porsche was trying to pass.

It was the last lap. The ferrari was desperate for any opportunity to pass. It was trying to create one.
 
Yeah I can believe they do that, I find it cheap as hell though.
 
I would like lightning, it is a very clever idea, and should be included. It would add some sort of spice, and flare, along with a seam of reality, because not all days are meant to be sunny. 👍
 
Some cars in the JGTC flash their lights all the time! How irksome!
I do like Grand Valley Speedway Reverse and Deep Forest Reverse. Very nice sunsets.
An early morning race would have a nice pinky-bluey colour. But a true dark night time race is sorely needed. If I remember correctly there was a nightime race in Rome in GT2. That was pretty dark.
 
After spending alot of time playing GT4P I think it would be nice to see the fuji international speedway being raced on in the dark with the high speeds and hard braking the glowing brake discs would look really good :)
 
The Ring in Pitch Black with your lights guiding you around the winding corners....that would be cool......and would use less graphics (see less of the track at night).....
 
Well the ring doesn't have any street lights ;). A track like this would need real time lights ala RSC2. Would be awesome though, the nurb in a super car in pitch black, lol, good thing it doesn't let you trash your car!
 
I have thought about an option such as chosing the time of day you wish to run as an ok one, but only one I want to see in Arcade mode. What do you guys think of a chose daytime option only in arcarde mode?

BTW, RSC2 did an awesome job with it's night racing. On the desert tracks, as I said, you could the moon, stars, and when raining, lightning. I still say PD could learn from this game during a daytime option.
 
I think night racing should happen on tracks you race during the day as well - like the Nordschleife or maybe NYC or something, so you actually get to see the differences night can make, instead of always feeling the lighting is static.
 
If the times of day are static I think they should put the tracks in the championship in order of the times. For example you start a championship during daytime, next race it's sunset, next one night, next one sunrise, and the final one daytime again. But they would have to adjust the "day count" for that..
 
How did the day count work in GT3?
 
the ring at 12 at night with high beam lights with 6 freinds online doing a endurance with pit stops!!!.

that would be heapps good fun.
 
Well, let's come up with a makeshift scenario about the Nurburgring. Let's say that Nurburgring Nordschliefe looked as urban as San Francisco, Paris, or Tokyo. You can have an idea as to how a 19.6 mile (is that right?) race course is like. For those who played Tokyo Xtreme Racer Zero ("Wangan Midnight" in the arcades), Tokyo Xtreme Racer 3, the Midnight Club series, Ridge Racer V track "Bayside Line," or anything like that, can imagine what a greatly-urbanized race course would be like in the mold of Nurburgring Nordschliefe. Even though Nurburgring Nords is based on country roads, but I'm kind of speaking in the context of taking a race course with nothing but trees and roads, then converting it to trees and roads and modern buildings/houses.

So, I just wanted to come up with a makeshift scenario about lighting and night racing in regards to Nurburgring Nordschliefe.
 
for the day/night racing, long ago Dreamcast MSR use realtime clock already, the lighting changes according the course location.

but if we keep adding new ideas to GT4, i think we will need to wait another year or so..haha
 
i think with nurberg just keep it how it is there are other good race tracks in the city at night to drive.

ok a couple of cool examples of the batherst 24h and some night driving that needs to be in GT4. oh and this race track needs to be in GT4 as well its the best Track in australia.

EDIT: the bright light in the distance on the first pic is where the start finish line is all the way down at the bottom of the hill.

645_23112003IMG_5789_m.jpg


645_IMG_606923112003_m.jpg


645_IMG_582823112003_m.jpg


1140_24hr15_m.jpg
 
Any pictures of the track layout?
 
here is the track layout.
you can play this track in the toca race driver game. if it was in GT4 the track would be better to race on.

ans1-3.jpg
 
Before I begin this post, I'm sorry for the Atlanta Falcons losing to the Baltimore Ravens 24-0. But of course, it's preseason NFL action, so I'm sure the ATL Falcons will have a great season en route to the NFL Playoffs and perhaps the Super Bowl.

Anyhow, Bathurst is the latest member of the Endurance Racing club. Welcome to the party, Bathurst! Feel free to mingle with Sebring, Petit Le Mans, Daytona, and of course, Le Mans among others. I know I mentioned an urbanized community for night racing. Bathurst is an interesting situation. Bathurst is a semi-permanent racing circuit. I hear it's used only twice throughout the year. But to me, it looks more like your average road course race. Because when I think of street courses, I normally think along the lines of Long Beach, Monaco, Norsring in Germany, and beautiful Surfer's Paradise for you Australian folk. See an Australian circuit missing? You're right. Adelaide. I still wished I could have seen all of the tape-delay coverage of the "Race of a Thousand Years." Adelaide is also interesting. It is a pure road course, but it's a street course. You can only see a few buildings close to the track, and with certain views, you can see downtown Adelaide. I'd like to see in the future, PD try to implement Adelaide. If they don't get Bathurst, I'd surely tack on Adelaide if I were PD. And oh yeah. NO CANBERRA! Want to know why? Play "Pro Race Driver" make it to the "Power Racing Tier," then race Canberra in a Time Trial. 'Nuff said.

Carry on discussion, please.
 
well as you can see buy that pic that Bathurst has its fast bits. and yes only twice a year once for the bathurst 1000km with the V8 Supercars and once for The Batherst 24h. i prefer the 24h cooler cars and NIGHT!!. i hope they put batherst in i mean if they are gonna put aussie cars in that game atleast put a aussie track in.
 
Bathurst would be scary at night. Those hills are a lot steeper in real life than what they look like in TV footage. Most of the turns accross the top are also blind.
Back in the early sixties the road surface was not very good and there weren't any of the crash barriers that it has now.
The headlights would have to be improved if we have to race at night on onlight tracks.
 
I found a way to simulate night driving on GT4, but you all might not agree with it..

Try adjusting the Brightness/Contrast of your TV screens so that it gets really dark. Then play with the game... hahaha!

It's stupid I know, but it might just work for those who are desperate enough to get the Night conditions.
 
Uhmm... pare... don't ressurect 2004 threads! This was all written before GT4 came out!
 
Back