Lightweights

  • Thread starter Thread starter samj_13
  • 33 comments
  • 1,592 views
Messages
1,069
Messages
gtjezard
Messages
sj11393
As you might guess from the title, this is a thread about lightweight cars, cars 1400Kg or less. Which one's your favorite and why is it your favorite?

To get it going, mine has to be:

A) The Lotus 111R, really quick, perfect handling
B) Caterham 7, same as above, except even lighter
C) Shelby Cobra 427, awesome pure American sports car.
 
The Ginetta G4. With full modification, its acceleration is incredible. The power/weight ratio of 250HP for 400kg rivals some race cars.
 
G4, funnest car I've ever driven in a racing game. Ever.
 
400kg? Holy creeeap!!!
I say the Mini cooper monte carlo rally car, but thats in GT2 , I dont have:( GT4.
 
I would say the Lotus Elan, that car is really fast when tuned.
 
S.S. Trueno, BMW M3, Ruf Yellowbird, Ford RS200, Mazda RX-7.

My Favs :)
 
Hmm let's see...I'd say the Shelby Cobra (duh, look at my avatar) because it's a blast to drive without aids on N2s (I was even lucky enought to see one - or a replica - stopped at an intersection once when I was walking home. She was silver/grey with red stripes - awesome.). I love the roar of the engine, the spongy suspension, and it's compact little chassis. Can't think of anymore right now, I'll edit this and add more later.
 
My disk bit the dust today, so until and if I get it resurfaced, I'm going to have to guess on the weight of the Suzuki GRX R/4 -- the one that looks like an electric razor.

I'm surprised no one's mentioned it yet. It must be light enough. That car just simply rocks out. It handles beautifully straight out of the box, and you can tune the suspension to get all kinds of different handling styles.

The Catterham is interesting, fun, yes. But you can't race it anywhere! It's ok to drive just for fun, but then WHY can't you get dirt tires for it when it looks so much like a dune buggy? Sheesh!

The Ginetta is also awesome in p/w, but the handling makes racing mostly a matter of luck unless you have exceptional skill. That car is B-spec only for me, whereas the Cat and the Suzuki are A-spec only.

"You get more nookie on a Suzuki"
 
Are you kidding? The G4 handles quite well, and is a blast to drive. Fully tuned I can tear apart cars twice as powerful in A-Spec, on any twisty track. It's one of my favorite cars in the game.
 
samj_13
C) Shelby Cobra 427, awesome pure American sports car.

Despite the British chassis and body?

Lancia Delta S4 - Crazily quick in real life and the game
Renault 5 Maxi - As above
Caterham Fireblade - Quick but challenging
Suzuki GSXR/4 - Very quick but easy to drive
Formula GT - Just because :)
 
3-Wheel Drive
The Ginetta G4. With full modification, its acceleration is incredible. The power/weight ratio of 250HP for 400kg rivals some race cars.


INCREDIBLE, that's the word that fits. :drool:
 
3-Wheel Drive
Are you kidding? The G4 handles quite well, and is a blast to drive. Fully tuned I can tear apart cars twice as powerful in A-Spec, on any twisty track. It's one of my favorite cars in the game.

Who's kidding whom? The Gineta handles like a drunk squirrel. I know I'm not alone in having issues with this car. There have been many threads discussing how to tame it.

Granted, it has awesome speed and p/w, but it's unstable, and has inertia problems. It's likely that mine can be greatly improved with tuning.

The lighter the car, the more sensitive it is to tuning.
 
The G4 is a great handling car at lower speeds, once you get much above 100 mph then it has some quite serious instability issues. That for me makes upi part of its charm.

Agree with most that have been said above, apart from the best Kei car, sorry but (in my opinion) that quite easily is the Mazda Autozam AZ-1. Tune this little car up and you have an amazing drivers car.

Here are a few write-ups, pictures and settings for anyone interested.

Caterham Fireblade
And mines Orange - anyone have a problem with that colour :)

Mazda AZ-1

Ginetta G4

Renaultsport Clio

Regards

Scaff
 
TVR 350C of course and the Renault Clio Phase 2
 
Scaff


hmmmmmm, might give this one a try now that you mention its a good trainer car. I cant cope with the Alpines, this AZ might give me a chance to learn how to cope .....

I can do wonderful donuts though with every alpine :sly: but thats all I manage to do with them.

thx 👍

AMG.
 
The TVR Cerbera Speed 12. Only 1049kg. It should count, as it is light and has an awesome power to weight ratio for the car that it is.

xjr-9
 
Favorite light weight is the Oper Performance S2000. The car is like 900 something kg. I just like how nimble the car is through corners and the 10k rpm redline is to die for.
 
AMG.
hmmmmmm, might give this one a try now that you mention its a good trainer car. I cant cope with the Alpines, this AZ might give me a chance to learn how to cope .....

I can do wonderful donuts though with every alpine :sly: but thats all I manage to do with them.

thx 👍

AMG.

Give it a go and let me know what you think, that particular set-up is tuned for Deep Forest.

Regards

Scaff
 
xjr-9
The TVR Cerbera Speed 12. Only 1049kg. It should count, as it is light and has an awesome power to weight ratio for the car that it is.

xjr-9

im not sure about that, for me it handles like a boat.
 
samj_13
C) Shelby Cobra 427, awesome pure American sports car.
*caugh* British... Almost every thing about it yells out load.. British..
 
Master_Yoda
*caugh* British... Almost every thing about it yells out load.. British..

Except the name "Shelby" and the number "427".

The cobra is a kludge. Shelby wanted an American sports car to be competitive in Europe, so he did the American thing: Throw as much power as you can at the problem. The car has only one thing going for it: brute power, combined with light weight. In handling, it's mediocre at best. It's just a banal re-engineering of a British sports car.

Around the same time he was producing the Cobra, he convinced Ford to give him a blank check budget to develop a -real- GT car from scratch, and the result is the Ford GT, a much greater accomplishment
 
Razzbar
Except the name "Shelby" and the number "427".

The cobra is a kludge. Shelby wanted an American sports car to be competitive in Europe, so he did the American thing: Throw as much power as you can at the problem. The car has only one thing going for it: brute power, combined with light weight. In handling, it's mediocre at best. It's just a banal re-engineering of a British sports car.

Around the same time he was producing the Cobra, he convinced Ford to give him a blank check budget to develop a -real- GT car from scratch, and the result is the Ford GT, a much greater accomplishment

Well, the 427 did have an incredible track record, and is the most reproduced kit-car in the USA.

The GT had a better run at Le Mans though...
 
My current favorite lightweight is my fully tuned, Turbo & NOS Daihatsu Midget II D-type '98. It is ridiculously quick, well-balanced, and super fun to drive.

Current fastest time at Tsukuba is: 0'59.784 :dopey:
 
Superhero Wally
Suzuki GSXR/4
I don't know if it gets any better than that.

If it does, I'd like to know. I love the little shaver. It can beat cars with 2x the horsepower. Of course, there are cars with 3x the horsepower, which may explain why it isn't more popular.

It's about the funnest car there is.
 
Back