Like feature should go

• Thread starter jeffgoddin
  • 44 comments
Wait, so you guys took a thread which was (mostly) full of nice pictures and discussion and a good place for people to browse in general, and took it private?
It seems that the problem with the DYSAGT thread was that the active people thought what they were doing was too good for the average user to browse through every few weeks.

Ever since someone decided to throw me an invite late last year, I've always thought of treating it as a casual off-shoot of the infamous 'Did I Just See Something Good Today?' thread which died shortly before the convo started. So I've rarely posted beyond answering the odd question on car identification.

I also doubt that much of what goes on in there now would be missed in the public thread, really. It usually consists of one or two members posting shots that they inevitably post in the main thread anyway, announcing which car events you or so-and so attended/going to attend, or banter. And while I do think a good deal of the discourse that may have once been present in the respective public threads has migrated over to the private thread, the casual nature of it hasn't exactly encouraged the same level post quality.

I'm not overly fussed about the present state of the current DYSAGT thread. It'll probably never be as active as it once was even with the same people uploading about as frequently as ever, but it's true that a lot of the crosstalk and sometimes off-topic tangents are filtered out elsewhere.

TB
💡 ... :dunce:

Good one mate. 👍

I honestly do not see any places that have significantly poorer post quality. If anything, I think it may have reduced post count. Which is not always a bad thing in my opinion.

There has been a noticeable reduction in the +1s and 'LOL's that follow posts since the "like' system, making the flow of a thread less congested with applause.
As many have mentioned, that quick click on the like button carries multiple messages - it is a response that flexes with the context of a post.
When I press 'like' on a post it means I agree with what is said, or that i found it humourous, or that I acknowledge that the person I addressed has read and agreed with my post.
Or that I learned something new from that post.

Or that I was simply blown away. In a good way. ;)

I'd rather have the like system stay instead of having the +1 posts come back in full force. Having to skip past a bunch of those posts got really old in my days as a guest before I joined the site.

I like the like function, & to show just how much I like it I've liked every post in this thread so far (even if I didn't actually like it). Now like mine too!

29e67c7.jpg

;)

Last edited:
VBR
I like the like function, & to show just how much I like it I've liked every post in this thread so far (even if I didn't actually like it). Now like mine too!
That's called logrolling, and it's the reason we no longer have the +rep system.

That's called logrolling, and it's the reason we no longer have the +rep system.

No mate, it's called a "joke". The only truth in what I said is that I genuinely like the like function.

Last edited:
VBR

As a bit of a warning, in rare cases, the mods don't take kindly to over-use of the Like system, either. We've had to talk with a handful of members who give thousands of likes in extremely short periods of time, but nobody's been banned specifically over it.

Some folks actually make great posts without care for how many Likes they get...it also evens out. Some folks don't use the Like button...that's okay too.

Back