Little-Known or Forgotten Racing/Driving Games

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 558 comments
Yeah, DT Racer imo was to the PS2 what Vanishing Point was to the PS1. They were both great looking racing games that looked like they could have been really fun, but the horrendous driving physics ruined what could have been great gameplay. It goes to show how important physics are in any racing game as they can make it or break a game. I mean, I'm not the pickiest gamer when it comes to driving physics by any means, if there's weight to the cars and I'm able to keep them under control, then I'll gladly play through the game. However for DT Racer, the physics were just too bad for me to enjoy the game at all.
Indeed. I am not the pickiest either, but some games just aren't as good as they could be because of the physics. DT Racer is a good example and I also feel the same about NFS MW 2012 and NFS 2015. (Yes I know they aren't obscure) Although I liked NFS 2015, the physics prevented it from being as good as I was hoping it to be. NFS MW 2012 however, I wanted to like it, but it's physics and controls ruined it.

Do not even get me started with the collision detection for all three of those games....

Last edited:

I hope i'm not the only one who enjoyed this game. I remember there were some Touge races.

I logged a lot of hours into this game on both PS2 and PSP.

The one gripe I had with the game was the drifting physics.

Has anybody played Scud Race aka Sega Super GT (for US and EU versions)?
images

images

images

When I first played this back in 2004, the graphics were great at that time for a 1996 game. Physics were like Daytona and Outrun but in a different way. It also features the BPR car series and you have 4 cars to choose from (as seen at the top).

I'm glad there's still some Scud Race pods around in my local arcade shops but age has worn them down. The brakes do not work plus sometimes the wheel gets stuck for unknown reason.

I'll tell you right now- Super GT/SCUD Race is my all-time favorite arcade racing game. You have no idea how jacked I get racing the Beginner-Night course in something like the McLaren F1 with that great song playing. This game is more forgotten than little-known. If you want little-known from SEGA, I EASILY will mention "Le Mans 24." It was too bad that I don't think America got to see "Le Mans 24." It's a very cool game from what I've seen in videos and pictures.

I'll tell you right now- Super GT/SCUD Race is my all-time favorite arcade racing game. You have no idea how jacked I get racing the Beginner-Night course in something like the McLaren F1 with that great song playing. This game is more forgotten than little-known. If you want little-known from SEGA, I EASILY will mention "Le Mans 24." It was too bad that I don't think America got to see "Le Mans 24." It's a very cool game from what I've seen in videos and pictures.
Maybe with the use of the MAME emulator, I can play Scud Race.

Oh and let's not forget that Scud Race was the first Sega arcade game to utilize Sega Model 3.

The Super Beginner Course was my favorite though.

This may already been said, but most of the Genki games have a little cult following. Ever since I got Kaido Battle 3 (2005). Which, has some stuff from Kaido Battle 2: Chain Reaction to it.

The Genki games are fun, just wished they did not cancel the Fast And The Furious game since it had a trailer in the movie 2 Fast 2 Furious.

From Tokyo Xtreme Racer 1 - Import Tuner Challenge (Getting it soon, hope I have no regrets..) are the best little known racing games I own.

This may already been said, but most of the Genki games have a little cult following. Ever since I got Kaido Battle 3 (2005). Which, has some stuff from Kaido Battle 2: Chain Reaction to it.

The Genki games are fun, just wished they did not cancel the Fast And The Furious game since it had a trailer in the movie 2 Fast 2 Furious.

From Tokyo Xtreme Racer 1 - Import Tuner Challenge (Getting it soon, hope I have no regrets..) are the best little known racing games I own.
Import Tuner Challenge is the weaker and bad TXR game plus it didn't have the sense of speed like the other TXR games.

Import Tuner Challenge is the weaker and bad TXR game plus it didn't have the sense of speed like the other TXR games.
It may be weaker, but from what I have seen the game is pretty good on customization, like the vinyls (Not as good as FM4 or others), though it had a lot stuff in the interior, and being that a triple turbo is awesome.

I'll just try it anyway, most games that Genki brought out it's still a bit better than most games of this age and day.

I hope i'm not the only one who enjoyed this game. I remember there were some Touge races.

yes this game I just picked up a copy over the weekend.

although the handling and physics are horrible the customization and variety of highway battles and touge are very in depth

The fast and furious game is actually pretty good, I've been playing through it again recently. The car list is impressive too, cars like the 270R are even there

It's just painful how hard it tried to be TXR

Has anybody played Scud Race aka Sega Super GT (for US and EU versions)?
images

images

images

When I first played this back in 2004, the graphics were great at that time for a 1996 game. Physics were like Daytona and Outrun but in a different way. It also features the BPR car series and you have 4 cars to choose from (as seen at the top).

I'm glad there's still some Scud Race pods around in my local arcade shops but age has worn them down. The brakes do not work plus sometimes the wheel gets stuck for unknown reason.
I love this game!!! There's a cabinet at one of the gokart tracks not far from my place, and I'm not sure what exactly I love about it, but I adore it. Plus there's a secret that you can use on it, where instead of the cars you see there, you can use a school bus, a tank, a cat or a rocket! :lol: Good old arcade game secrets!

Ah yes FnF Tokyo Drift.

The drift and sprint events are ok at first but once you reach Suicide Mountain aka DK Turf, you will rage and be forced to cheat just beat DK. In fact the only car that can match up to DK and Kazuya Bai is the Fairlady Z based from my experience of finishing FnF.

How did I cheat? By doing donuts continuously until I gain a lot of points for the opponent to not catch up.

Oh and the highway races, interesting at first but then the game becomes so hard to the point where you need to grind some cash to buy the Vette C6.R. Yes there is a race car in the game.

Customization? Loved the selection of bodykits and even some obscure ones similar to the ones you see in NFS2015's bodykit selection. But yes there has been no game that has customization like FnF.

I like the fact that Brian and Dom makes an appearance in the game but there's one problem. Brian's Skyline is the same Skyline featured in SRS. I wished they could've used either 2F2F Skyline or the Supra.

But overall good game but just like NFS2015, the physics is what killed the game.

An old favorite of mine....

53607front-2443.jpg

They released a PS2 version of the game, but I am going to talk about the GBA version since they both are entirely different games.

I grew up with this game and it has been a favorite for mine ever since I bought it and if I ever play my Gameboy Advance, this is one of the first I reach for. Various challenges in this game that can keep one occupied for a while without being harshly difficult. The game has various Corvettes and possibly some you have never seen before. The graphics are very good for a GBA game and the scenery is amazing, even in a general sense. It's kind of reminiscent to the classic NFS games in a way. The physics are actually not bad.

Although I don't see much talk about this game, people refer to it as "bad" and I don't really understand why. It has it's own unique style even when compared to the PS2 version. I think this game is a must have for any GBA players and it's one of the few handheld games that didn't suck when compared to it's console version. (To me) I think it was an American release only though.

Last edited:
I mentioned "Le Mans 24" in a recent post. It's just sad this game didn't get as much attention in the United States as Super GT/SCUD Race. I kind of think this game probably could have been better than Super GT/SCUD Race had it been marketed here.

Looking at Touge Max G, I was thinking of the GT1 version of Special Stage Route 11 for some reason. Only rather than trying to drift a front-wheel drive car, I'd rather any Nissan Silvia or a Toyota Supra any time. Heck- even give me a Toyota MR2.

Not many people know this, but Touge Max G had both cars and bikes. More importantly, you could challenge one against each other. Drifting with a bonus tractor was also cool. :lol:

It was a good game. Great soundtrack, in-depth gymkhana events and diverse car selection. You could even drive fantasy road-going Toyota Corolla WRC car.

I mentioned "Le Mans 24" in a recent post. It's just sad this game didn't get as much attention in the United States as Super GT/SCUD Race. I kind of think this game probably could have been better than Super GT/SCUD Race had it been marketed here.

Looking at Touge Max G, I was thinking of the GT1 version of Special Stage Route 11 for some reason. Only rather than trying to drift a front-wheel drive car, I'd rather any Nissan Silvia or a Toyota Supra any time. Heck- even give me a Toyota MR2.
I think SCUD Race/Super GT gained a lot of attention because...

1. It's using the all new Sega Model 3 that time so you know Sega will promote SCUD Race as the flagship game for Model 3.
2. BPR Car Series heavily promoted this game despite being short lived from 1994-1996.

So yeah, its more on promotion.

Stumbled across an old PS1 racing game I've never even heard of until now.

I'm safely assuming that this game was only sold in Japan.

I have been playing this recently, very cool game and excellent graphics for its time, better than GT in my opinion. Touge Max 2 is also worth checking out, but the story in that game is really short tho.

What about the Juiced racing series?

I still have the PS3 version of Juiced 2, but it no longer works and I've had some really bad history with it when I was younger, like when I was eight years old, playing the game, I couldn't stop yelling and saying all the cuss words I knew at that point since the Drift Endurance events were so hard and that the physics are very awkward that one mistake could lead to disaster unlike the first Juiced. What I could remember though is that I nailed one Drift Endurance event with my favorite car of all time which was featured in the game. I'm sure most of you guys know what that car is.

They say Juiced 2 is nothing like its predecessor in terms of gameplay due to the fact that it lacks the crews and respect system and that the physics are completely different, one thing to notice with the first Juiced is that the cars accelerate quite quickly, have surprisingly tight and stable handling and decent braking, it's that the only issue are that the cars are really slow, but the faster your car is, the more "impossible" it may seem to drive. In Juiced 2, the physics feel like an even more arcade version of Forza's physics where it is really slippery and could lead to one wrong move.

One thing that I really remember about the Juiced series is the green RX-8 from the intro movie and promotional posters, as well as a character named "T.K.", in which when I used to play the first game, I always called him "Total Knockout".

I'm sure most of you guys know what that car is.
Is it the 2.2l Toyota Camry?
I still have the PS3 version of Juiced 2, but it no longer works and I've had some really bad history with it when I was younger, like when I was eight years old, playing the game, I couldn't stop yelling and saying all the cuss words I knew at that point since the Drift Endurance events were so hard and that the physics are very awkward that one mistake could lead to disaster unlike the first Juiced. What I could remember though is that I nailed one Drift Endurance event with my favorite car of all time which was featured in the game. I'm sure most of you guys know what that car is.

They say Juiced 2 is nothing like its predecessor in terms of gameplay due to the fact that it lacks the crews and respect system and that the physics are completely different, one thing to notice with the first Juiced is that the cars accelerate quite quickly, have surprisingly tight and stable handling and decent braking, it's that the only issue are that the cars are really slow, but the faster your car is, the more "impossible" it may seem to drive. In Juiced 2, the physics feel like an even more arcade version of Forza's physics where it is really slippery and could lead to one wrong move.

One thing that I really remember about the Juiced series is the green RX-8 from the intro movie and promotional posters, as well as a character named "T.K.", in which when I used to play the first game, I always called him "Total Knockout".
I've put in a considerable amount of time on Juiced and a lot more on Juiced 2 on PSP and a bit on PS3. They did take it in a different direction, but the gameplay feels similar- especially when you mentioned the driving part.
The drift and sprint events are ok at first but once you reach Suicide Mountain aka DK Turf, you will rage and be forced to cheat just beat DK. In fact the only car that can match up to DK and Kazuya Bai is the Fairlady Z based from my experience of finishing FnF.
I wished I had knew about the car choice then. I went through a good number of cars when I got to Suicide Mountain.

I just realized how the title of the mountain is rather... disturbing.

And coincidentally T.K would be the first crew leader (Urban Maulerz) you will meet and race.

The Juiced series was kinda weird for me. I mean despite the handling (FR cars were completely unstable to drive especially the Viper.), I was able to get use to the handling and master the use of the maxed out Viper. Plus the crew system is what I liked about Juiced.

Then there came Juiced Eliminator which is just a PSP port of Juiced but with new crew leaders, tracks, cars, and soundtrack (Eliminator has better soundtrack than both Juiced and Juiced 2).

And when Juiced 2 came out and first played it on the PS2, I am very glad that they improve the handling and made the FR cars driveable. But then again the lack of crew progression (you can just buy Driver X to destroy the crew races), the uninspired tracks and soundtrack, it left my taste for the Juiced series as bland.

I wished I had knew about the car choice then. I went through a good number of cars when I got to Suicide Mountain.

I just realized how the title of the mountain is rather... disturbing.
I also just realized by now that the D-Stars (the second crew that you will face in Suicide Mountatin) consist of real life D1GP and Formula D drivers such as Nomuken (Ken Nomura), Dai Yoshihara, Kazuya Bai, Rhys Millen, and more.

Is Ford Racing 3 for PS2 worth considering? I heard it has great deal of multiplayer and single player modes, but if the car handling is not good, I wouldn't risk.

Is Ford Racing 3 for PS2 worth considering? I heard it has great deal of multiplayer and single player modes, but if the car handling is not good, I wouldn't risk.
I have it on PC and the handling isn't too bad, quite arcadey though.

Car wise it's pretty good, having most of Ford's well known models all the way up until 2004 and has a decent selection of tracks.

Not meaning to be a **** about it, but what version of the game did you play? It's been years since I played it, largely due to it drawing out feelings best described as "Inhuman and disturbing", the cars were sluggish in a straight line, handled like old mule, and had brakes from 1928.

Granted, I just played SEGA GT 2002, aaand that may well be the worst handling game I've played, but the physics of Juiced aren't what gives me the urge to destroy it, possibly much worse. That goes to...almost everything else in the game, including the voice actors.

Back