Live Stream: LEGO Speed Champions Arrives in Forza Horizon 4

What a load of crap. LEGO is something for kids. And PG really thought this would be 'amazing?' Yet they make it a pain in the arse to win new desirable cars that people actually want like the Z4, AMG GT 4 door etc. I can see why they made it so easy to obtain this expansion. Because it's crap, pure and simple and they know it.

Yet they make it a pain in the arse to win new desirable cars that people actually want like the Z4, AMG GT 4 door etc.

Not really. These tasks are quite easy to complete for anyone with adequate driving skills. They even lowered the required difficulty for the championships back in May for all those complaining. And even if you still find them difficult to obtain, there's always a second chance. The Z4 recently returned as a Forzathon prize, and this entire month is loaded with returning or hard to find vehicles for those who've missed earlier opportunities. Which is more than what can be said about rare cars in past Forza games.

Last edited:
Eeeehhhhhh... dissapoint. Enjoyed the base game, thought there were a lot of great things in it but it never quite grabbed me fully. Was hoping the expansions would be awesome, but they both ended being nowhere near as cool as the hotwheels one looked to me. Even though I never got FH3. Ah well, at least I didnt bother with the season pass :lol:

^ I respectfully disagree with you, Josh. I don't consider myself a bad driver and last month after 6 plus hours of frustrating races and challenges I obtained 36% completion and just knew I wouldn't reach the 50% for the Austin Traveller. Due also to not having XBLG so some desirable cars like the Apollo Emozione are impossible to get.

I work long hours throughout the week and simply don't have the time nor desire to come home and put H4 on. Why they couldn't make these cars DLC as well as prize cars is a mystery.

But this LEGO expansion is simply not what this game needs IMO. LEGO was something we did in primary school, shouldn't have any place in a legitimate racing game.

But this LEGO expansion is simply not what this game needs IMO. LEGO was something we did in primary school, shouldn't have any place in a legitimate racing game.

I believe that the Lego expansion is a bit of an odd choice and it's certainly not my favourite choice for a DLC pack but primary school? I'm 33 and we've got quite a few Lego sets at home, they're great fun even as an adult!

As someone who hated the idea of a Lego expansion I gave it a try and so far I'm enjoying it BUT it feels like they've missed a huge opportunity with the Lego cars. They're barely modifiable. Why not let us do silly things like stick a pig on the roof or attach crazy parts to the car? That's the whole joy of Lego! Having only 3 new cars really sucks too.

I will say though that the world they've built looks fantastic and the bricks themselves have some incredible textures and surface response going on. The way they reflect the sunlight showing tiny scratches is superb. Massive kudos to the art team!

I may have also let out a pretty big laugh at the intro where the car revs up and then drives forwards towards the rectangular portal thing before just bouncing off the wall :lol:

Agree with all you said. The funny thing is, in one of the intro videos they actually stick a pig on top of the LEGO F40. :P

Agree with all you said. The funny thing is, in one of the intro videos they actually stick a pig on top of the LEGO F40. :P

I saw a screenshot of that bit ahead of the launch and assumed it was something we would be able to add. Given that the cars are made from bricks the modification options are really lacking. I also took my Lego F40 onto the mainland last night and ended up doing highway runs against people in super/hypercars for most of the evening. It's quite a quick car once it gets going, I have no idea if the stats are the same as the regular F40 though.

I still have the feeling that this is just a parody of GTS Vision GT cars and fictional tracks. as they are mixed with reallife tracks/cars aswell. :D

Can someone tell me who has the Lego expanison, if it's worth buying it or not?

I saw a screenshot of that bit ahead of the launch and assumed it was something we would be able to add. Given that the cars are made from bricks the modification options are really lacking. I also took my Lego F40 onto the mainland last night and ended up doing highway runs against people in super/hypercars for most of the evening. It's quite a quick car once it gets going, I have no idea if the stats are the same as the regular F40 though.

The Lego version has slightly higher stats. I don't have the Senna yet so I am not totally sure there yet.

What a load of crap. LEGO is something for kids. And PG really thought this would be 'amazing?' Yet they make it a pain in the arse to win new desirable cars that people actually want like the Z4, AMG GT 4 door etc. I can see why they made it so easy to obtain this expansion. Because it's crap, pure and simple and they know it.

Im in the same boat. I haven't been able to get any of the prize cars due to time constraints. Auction house never has them. Wouldn't mind paying $3 or so a piece. But I'm welcome to enjoy legos.

This is just big joke. This expansion is not worth My time. Playground games could have made a much better expansion. I though it could not be worse than hot wheels but i was wrong. Even Fortune Island is better. And Considering we had to Wait another month. I was expecting something better. I am bit tired of the Main map. I hope the make a 3rd expansion and a Much better one

Nfs started out a solid street racer. But started adopting far fetched themes like ramps and ergo to please "everyone".
And it sold a ton up until this literal most recent installment in 2017, which I'm pretty sure still sold millions too. So because you don't like it means that everyone else doesn't, or what are you actually meaning? Because going of it's actual popularity even after you bringing that up, it doesn't make sense with what you're attributing it to.

This is horizons 2nd wacky expansion. Would you be ok with similar themes being put in the base game for horizon5?
Probably, because as I've been saying a lot, Horizon is extremely stale and is in desperate need of some fun injection and the run of the mill expansions just aren't doing it for me, nor is the base game which largely mimics all past iterations. However, until that time actually happens and we know what it actually is, how are you going to even start pretending?

Last edited:
Nfs started out a solid street racer. But started adopting far fetched themes like ramps and ergo to please "everyone".

Ramps, the most arcade of aspects. Time to eliminate danger signs from Horizon, then. And the reason why NFS is failing is because they keep going back to the same two wells of street racing and cops and exotic racers in order to please everyone (or at least, the two most vocal groups of fans), and it's obvious that it's diminishing returns, especially with Ghost's actual development capabilities.

This is horizons 2nd wacky expansion. Would you be ok with similar themes being put in the base game for horizon5?

Disregarding the fact that the Hot Wheels expansion gave FH3 the shot in the arm that it needed when it began to sag in the second half of the game's life, the fact of the matter is that Horizon as a series is awfully samey by this point, and the LEGO expansion, at least as of now, again gives it the quick shot it needs to be worth playing again. Think about it for a second: do you really, really think that any of the stuff within the LEGO expansion is actually going to be put in Horizon 5, in it's current form? I could see some aspects (Building a house) maybe, in a more 'realistic' form. But boost jump ramps and LEGO bricks? Come on.

You can hate on the expansion all you want, I don't really care. But the way you, and others, have been desperately grasping at straws, saying stuff about 'believe-ability' and 'realism' (forgetting that Horizon isn't the hardcore cruising sim you seem to think it is, and conveniently forgetting some aspects that break those two buzz words) and posting some of the most asinine and frankly embarrassing comments trying to paint those who might actually enjoy the expansion, or not mind it, as somehow childish or crazy (?) is legitimately reached the point of frustration.

NFS is actually failing due to bad physics, uninspiring scripts, and a progression system that is too involved with grinding and luck. Street racing and cop chases are their staples and I'm sure the fans will never be tired of them. I can never imagine them doing something different like Lego, or even Hot Wheels or anything like that. Their games are more toward having an action/thrilling F&F type vibe. Forza Horizon is different, despite being more "realistic" for an arcade game (which made them successful in the first place), the fact that they don't revolve around stories involving crime or conflict, and evading the law, makes them more free to experiment in ways others could only imagine before. Some franchises may benefit from thinking outside the box, but some also are great when they stick to their original formula and just perfect it everytime.

NFS is actually failing due to bad physics, uninspiring scripts, and a progression system that is too involved with grinding and luck.
NFS never really had great physics, and actually, there's been improvement over the last iteration and that much is fairly obvious. Their scripts have always been uninspiring, dating as far back to the Underground series. That's really not a new thing. I think that there's just a lot more choices on the market for such similar games, that do things much better, so they're falling behind, I feel.

As for the progression system, you really don't need the best of the best in order to complete or beat the game. I didn't even put much effort into that part of the game and it was still fairly easy to get by just fine.

To say they're failing because of things that have been happening in the game for almost two decades, that have been happening even during their popularity spike, just doesn't really add up in my opinion. That's coming from someone who has had a fairly negative opinion of their games this generation.

NFS never really had great physics, and actually, there's been improvement over the last iteration and that much is fairly obvious. Their scripts have always been uninspiring, dating as far back to the Underground series. That's really not a new thing. I think that there's just a lot more choices on the market for such similar games, that do things much better, so they're falling behind, I feel.

As for the progression system, you really don't need the best of the best in order to complete or beat the game. I didn't even put much effort into that part of the game and it was still fairly easy to get by just fine.

To say they're failing because of things that have been happening in the game for almost two decades, that have been happening even during their popularity spike, just doesn't really add up in my opinion. That's coming from someone who has had a fairly negative opinion of their games this generation.

To me personally, I liked those aspects in the early games like Underground, Most Wanted 05, and Carbon. However in something like NFS 2015, I wasn't a fan of the handling, the cop chases were too easy, and cut scenes took cringe to another level. I can see what you're saying about more choices in the genre though. Forza Horizon definitely has a great advantage with its better graphics and physics, so lots of people would prefer that.

To me personally, I liked those aspects in the early games like Underground, Most Wanted 05, and Carbon. However in something like NFS 2015, I wasn't a fan of the handling, the cop chases were too easy, and cut scenes took cringe to another level. I can see what you're saying about more choices in the genre though. Forza Horizon definitely has a great advantage with its better graphics and physics, so lots of people would prefer that.
I also wasn't a fan of the handling. 2015 was the worst game I've played from them, but it also sold like damn hot cakes too for whatever reason. I've always thought the stories they've had were cringeworthy though.

Damn, didn't realize how many people thought the Underground series of NFS games were the "early" ones.
Most talk has been stemming around its recent iterations. Did anyone really say that it was the early ones? Regardless, the first Underground came out 16 years ago. For some, it's all the know because that's what was out when they were born.

Also, it kind of is actually one if the series earlier games. It's the 7th game in the series of 24.

Last edited:
Back to LEGO. I'm surprised to say that I'm enjoying it.

Good points:
  • The overhead map is a work of art
  • They haven't just plastered LEGO everywhere, instead it's an enhancement to a normal enough map. This is a good balance
  • Proper dunes in the desert area
  • Oval and tracks in the north are a nice change from all other Horizon street racing
  • Crashing through LEGO structures and seeing bricks fly is fun even for the 100th time
  • Trailblazers are a lot more challenging than Fortune Island, and need real planning and thought
The fact that it only starts with 3 of the LEGO cars is a disappointment, but I assume we will get more as the weeks go by. I'm ok with that as long as they are not stuck behind annoying seasonal challenges.

This LEGO expension is awesome! Really loved the Hot Wheels expansion in FH3 and so far really digging this one too. Just wish they would take this one step further and release an entire game the size of FH4, but in LEGO. :)

I see LEGO Speed Champions as a preview of what Playground Games is capable of if they were to enter a more accessible and fantasy-oriented arcade racing market. The more I play the expansion, the more I hope there is substance to those "Forza Kart" rumours because I can see this concept doing really well as a standalone game - The humour, visuals and atmosphere are all seriously well executed. 👍

My only criticism is that there are a few too many "realistic elements" in the map. I'd prefer it if the map was fully lego since places like the Falcon Circuit, Brickchester, Airport and other fully-lego landmark areas look fantastic under FH4's lighting model.

I understand why people don't like it considering the target demographic of the base game, but LEGO Speed Champions is best enjoyed when you forget about realism and just ignore any logical thought processes; the whole concept is intended to put a smile on your face and I think that is gaming enjoyment in its purest form.

This has been the most funniest expansion I've ever played on Forza. So much to do, and so much to see. I literally stayed up all night just messing about on the map, and the challenges are almost complete!

I couldn't care less what the "realism" crowd had to say, because THIS is why I still enjoy gaming. If everything was heavily based on real life, I would have given up and moved on. People need to stop being so grumpy and taking everything seriously, and just enjoy the damn thing. It's fun, and I just love smashing through all those lego pieces (btw, the sound of the logos are spot on!)

It explains why PG and T10 are my most favorite developers still, because they know how to making a fun racing game with lots of stuff to do and cars to collect and drive. It is why I will continue to support them onward. Not turning this into a versus thread, but Gran Turismo was similar to this (fun wise) until it dwelled into a market I don't I will support ever again. I hope GT7 will be different and as fun as Forza with lots of cars to collect again, I dunno...

Ramps, the most arcade of aspects. Time to eliminate danger signs from Horizon, then. And the reason why NFS is failing is because they keep going back to the same two wells of street racing and cops and exotic racers in order to please everyone (or at least, the two most vocal groups of fans), and it's obvious that it's diminishing returns, especially with Ghost's actual development capabilities.
NFS is failing because of poor management and game choices. The most recent titles seem like they developed a solid foundation, but a fair amount of developer decisions seem to keep the game from reaching its full potential, whether its physics, AI, game progression, or some other individual area that could be thought out a bit more.

The cops and robbers aspect however, has always been a huge hit for them as the Hot Pursuit games are some of the most well-beloved. Many, including myself, have been more than welcome of a back-to-basics HP game with no crazy storyline, just a bunch of the hottest cars on the market, cops, and real-world based locations. It was a winning formula for them, it just needs a new, imaginative, shot-in-the-arm to work in this day and age.

I've always found Need for Speed's "edgy" obsession with the more Fast & Furious side of car culture, to be off-putting and lame, and I've never liked the way the cars handle - the wrong side of arcade, whereas I think Horizon lands on the right side.

Then again, I suppose if I'm honest, I haven't really LOVED a NFS game since Road & Track Presents: The Need for Speed.

To bad these aren’t jokes because they’re pretty damn hilarious. People say the darnedest things to justify their ridiculous reasoning.

Well a lot of Forza Veterans are pissed off with this expansion. Go head over to Forza Central see why a lot of people are pissed off.

Back