Live Stream: Sony PlayStation 5 Games Showcase

For PlayStation Plus members, we’ll have a special new offering on PS5 – the PlayStation Plus Collection**. PS5 owners with PS Plus will be able to download and play a curated library of PS4 games that defined the generation, like Batman Arkham Knight, Bloodborne, Fallout 4, God of War, Monster Hunter: World, Persona 5 and many more. The PS Plus Collection will be an added benefit to the existing PS4 benefits that PS Plus members receive for a single subscription price.

MEH!!!...... Backward compatibility is pure BS.

It does not look like there will be backward compatibility for any owned PS4 discs.

Last edited:
So you have to subscribe in order to play games you own?It's sounding a lot like the Game Pass on Xbox with that ending statement. Or is the BC and this PS collection going to be separate features?

There's never been a Gran Turismo title available at launch for any of the Playstations before, I don't see why people were expecting that to change...

100$ more than the XSS is kind of expensive, too.
Technically not true, in Europe we had GTHD tech demo at launch.

True, it’s not a full GT title, but it was a GT at launch (I know it’s a stretch, but it’s a fun bit of trivia).

Is it written anywhere that the only difference in the two options is the disc player ,that's a expensive disc player if so.

Well it is an Ultra HD Blu-Ray drive, even PC ones are quite expensive. Its never been confirmed if there are any other differences but Sony have never given any reason to think there would be.

So you have to subscribe in order to play games you own?It's sounding a lot like the Game Pass on Xbox with that ending statement.
Yep, you have to subscribe to access BC PS4 games, and I'd be very surprised if there aren't any additional charges for each game too.

Yep, you have to subscribe to access BC PS4 games, and I'd be very surprised if there aren't any additional charges for each game too.
I think you might be misconstruing it. That sounds less like BC and more like a subscription service to play games, much like Xbox Game Pass. Any one have any clarification?

. Its never been confirmed if there are any other differences but Sony have never given any reason to think there would be[/QUOTE]
That's the bit that concerns me,maybe over the next few day's they will clear this up before people part with pre order cash

Thought my ps2 came with GT3 in Murica.

Edit: ya got me there, I didn't get a ps2 at launch but not long after.

Also remember that XSS will need Seagate Memory Unit and they are 100$ or more. I think we were told the XSS is shipping with 500gb or 512gb. Which isn't much these days

GT3 was bundled with the PS2 at the game's launch, not the console's launch. :P

Good point on the SSD, though I assume the XBone Seagates are probably going to be compatible?

Either way, both consoles' launch titles are a bit meh.

I think you might be misconstruing it. That sounds less like BC and more like a subscription service to play games, much like Xbox Game Pass. Any one have any clarification?

You can play any BC PS4 game you own for free. The PS Plus selection is a selection of PS4 games added to the service, so that new players to the PlayStation family can play a selection of great games included in the subscription.

As far as I'm aware, PS4 discs will play on a PS5 console.
Also, PS4 digital games you own should be downloadable onto your PS5.

I believe that list is just a freebie list for PS Plus subscribers.

Well I hope that is the case for the sake of everybody buying at launch. It just seems strange to me that there is still no mention of PS4 disc based BC in the latest blog.
https://blog.playstation.com/2020/0...499-for-ps5-with-ultra-hd-blu-ray-disc-drive/

I'm fine with the games presented. Final Fantasy XVI, Demons Souls and Spider Man got me very interested in PS5. But I really missed Horizon Forbidden West and, of course, GT7.

There's never been a Gran Turismo title available at launch for any of the Playstations before, I don't see why people were expecting that to change...

100$ more than the XSS is kind of expensive, too.

The XSS is vastly underpowered in comparison. The digital PS5 is an actual PS5. To me its a much more compelling purchase. Especially with the lack of storage on the XSS, poor for a digital console but obviously MS want you to buy extra stuff.

GT3 was bundled with the PS2 at the game's launch, not the console's launch. :P

Good point on the SSD, though I assume the XBone Seagates are probably going to be compatible?

Either way, both consoles' launch titles are a bit meh.

Can't wait for Godfall actually. Need a new hack slash looter for the winter months. Also finished Spiderman recently so I'm ready for the new Spiderman. And that demolition arena game looks interesting as I am a big Motorstorm fan since day 1.

Well I hope that is the case for the sake of everybody buying at launch. It just seems strange to me that there is still no mention of PS4 disc based BC in the latest blog.
https://blog.playstation.com/2020/0...499-for-ps5-with-ultra-hd-blu-ray-disc-drive/
I guess I'm talking semi-old news, but I haven't seen anything that changes what I've heard so far.
There were a few caveats, such as developers needing to tweak PS4 digital games therefore perhaps not all PS4 games would be ready at console launch, and I believe you need a DS4 to play PS4 games, but otherwise to my knowledge, full green light for BC.

It seems to me that list of games is just a 'thank you' for upgrading to the PS5.
I'm assuming PS4 owners won't have access to them.

Since there was no GT7 today (Was Demons Souls the only “repeat” presented today?) Is there any timeline on the next possible event Polyphony could possibly, potentially be tethered to?

Not seeing any updates on GT7 was a bummer for almost everyone. But at least the teaser for the new GoW game made me hooked despite being 35 minutes late.

Technically not true, in Europe we had GTHD tech demo at launch.

True, it’s not a full GT title, but it was a GT at launch (I know it’s a stretch, but it’s a fun bit of trivia).
Fun fact: It could have been the most monetized game in the GT series.

Wow, those games looking really really good. What a presentation. And finally the final prices and release date. I'm filled with anticipation. Would be purchasing PS5 soon as available. Can't wait.

Since there was no GT7 today (Was Demons Souls the only “repeat” presented today?)

Demons Souls, Oddworld Soulstorm, Spiderman, Deathloop, and Resident Evil 8 had all been seen before in one way or another.

It's a 4K UHD drive though.

Also, in the long run it's far cheaper, it's cheaper to buy physical games, and then you can sell/trade them too

Not to mention you can borrow games from friends to try them out or play them completely and then just return them. Free.

Back