Liveries on PS4/XB1 idea

• Thread starter GTAndy36
  • 49 comments

GTAndy36

Premium
United Kingdom
Wiltshire, UK
AndySimba
Not sure if this idea has been discussed anywhere. I've been nattering with a friend this evening and thought I'd ask the question.

With the lack of a livery editor for the consoles at the moment, what about having an online hub for PCars that people can create an account for, and link their PSN/XBL account with. This online hub can then store custom liveries which can then be accessed through your game, as long as you're signed in of course.

Would this be a possible idea? I'm not sure how the PC version works with liveries, but it can't be beyond the realms of possibility that this could be a viable idea... I would have thought... discuss?

Like this http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/ for Project Cars

In battlelog you can make custom emblems for youre soldier, weapon, vehicle. You can make loudouts for youre soldier, weapon, vehicle. This is then reflected in game. You can even join servers via battlelog and this is all for console.

Ive snooped around in the project cars files and liveries are just .dds files you can open these in GIMP, Photoshop etc.

..\Project CARS\Vehicles\Textures\CustomLiveries there are wireframe .dds files witch you could use to make liveries from. And simply upload these via an interface.

Thats me thinking outloud though dont know if its all possible. And theres the recources, money and development time. Maybe somthing they can look at after relaease.

Lets see what the wmd forum guys think.

I thought something similar, even using a USB stick to copy files similar what you can do on Forza to import custom images to use as decals

Not sure if this idea has been discussed anywhere. I've been nattering with a friend this evening and thought I'd ask the question.

With the lack of a livery editor for the consoles at the moment, what about having an online hub for PCars that people can create an account for, and link their PSN/XBL account with. This online hub can then store custom liveries which can then be accessed through your game, as long as you're signed in of course.

Would this be a possible idea? I'm not sure how the PC version works with liveries, but it can't be beyond the realms of possibility that this could be a viable idea... I would have thought... discuss?

I also suggested this in one of the other threads last week. It's as simple as it could get on console. I'd prefer something like this as using Photoshop is much better and easier than an in game editor like Forza or Shift 2 had.

Blank templates could be available for each car on the PCars game site (or hub that you mention) that you only get access to once registered and verified with a valid console network ID to verify ownership of the game.

I would add an essential feature in game to let the user select whether to view user created liveries.

As far as how it works on PC I assume it's something like this. The car's blank template is edited in your photo editing software, saved in a particular file format then placed in a folder on the PC. It then simply shows up as a livery option in game for the relevant car.

Many of the liveries that will be in game are created by WMD members. Even if console users can't have the above yet I would be happy if new liveries kept being added to the game by the WMD team. It can't be a big process, post release, to let WMD users submit liveries on their website and vote reasonably large quantities of them into the game come update time.

A question to WMD PC testers. Once you are using a self made livery on a car online does it show up on other players PCs?

Last edited:
Realistically there's no excuse why the console versions can't support custom liveries for, at the very least, the player's car. All that's missing is the infrastructure and SMS could easily do that with some form of a web tool that accepts .ais or .pngs or whatever files are used for liveries, and then allows the consoles to download them.

Realistically there's no excuse why the console versions can't support custom liveries...

:dopey:

Seriously though, there are many valid excuses why there is no custom livery support in Project CARS. The most obvious one being that there is a limited money and time budget. Another being that racing related features have a higher priority. One more is that it might not be that simple to get even a USB or web download feature in unless you're a first party developer, and maybe not even then. Yet another being that there are tons of nice liveries in the game already and there will be DLCs to cover more. That being said, who knows what might happen... :)

Last edited:
Seriously though, there are many valid excuses why there is no custom livery support in Project CARS. The most obvious one being that there is a limited money and time budget. Another being that racing related features have a higher priority. One more is that it might not be that simple to get even a USB or web download feature in unless you're a first party developer, and maybe not even then. Yet another being that there are tons of nice liveries in the game already and there will be DLCs to cover more. That being said, who knows what might happen... :)

If you ask me it all comes down to the fact that PC players expect to be able to mod and customize various aspects of a game. After well over a decade of sim racers setting a precedent for that level of freedom, the PC community would be (rightfully) up-in-arms if Project CARS suddenly had all these limitations. Meanwhile, on consoles custom liveries are a rarity outside of Forza, and although other games have entertained the idea it's never well executed or treated as a priority. So SMS is trying to save development time and effort on the console releases where they can. It makes sense, I was just speaking from a technical standpoint.

^ Right, while a downloader thing isn't so technically demanding, it's still quite a few hours for coding something decent, and then having it tested and approved.

P.S. Thanks for taking the "The Dude" quote so well - I always wanted to use that one for some light banter... :) Good sport! 👍

A lot of things like this have been stymied by the tight restrictions on external files and websites by MS and Sony, not through a lack of development from SMS. Don't you think the devs could knock something up very quickly by creating the livery on a PC, and then transferring it to your Xbox, via an installer, with the Gamertag of the person it belongs to? That's not the issue.

I want to clarify my question earlier, since I used a poor choice in wording. While I would like the ability to make a completely custom helmet (and car) livery and import it to my ps4, what I was thinking of is more along the lines of the way custom paint jobs work in Driveclub, except it would be for a helmet. Have set design schemes and sponsors that you can choose from (maybe change locations of sponsors and whatnot) and then select colors, types of paint, etc.

Thanks for the responses everyone. Really great to know that such ideas have been discussed behind the scenes, and that there will be a ton of liveries available from SMS and the folks that have and continue to create them. If we had a new download of liveries every 3-4 months from the team, that would be mega!

A lot of things like this have been stymied by the tight restrictions on external files and websites by MS and Sony, not through a lack of development from SMS. Don't you think the devs could knock something up very quickly by creating the livery on a PC, and then transferring it to your Xbox, via an installer, with the Gamertag of the person it belongs to? That's not the issue.

I always thought the issue was Sony/MS not wanting to foster copyright infringement/theft of assets and explicit content. Because once you allow external files into a game like Forza or Project Cars, you open those floodgates. But even if that's the excuse, why is it that that kind of stuff can fly on PC but not consoles?

I always thought the issue was Sony/MS not wanting to foster copyright infringement/theft of assets and explicit content. Because once you allow external files into a game like Forza or Project Cars, you open those floodgates. But even if that's the excuse, why is it that that kind of stuff can fly on PC but not consoles?

That's exactly the reason why not. The reason why it's not a problem with the PC, is because there is no overlord, no first party owner like there is with MS and Sony, nobody to get tetchy over possible legal issues. The most recent thing we've had is the FIA getting it's knickers in a twist over the masses of F1 mods around.

As long as we have a safety car design for a bmw street car or something (unless they ever come out with the SC later in a update), Im all set.

That's exactly the reason why not. The reason why it's not a problem with the PC, is because there is no overlord, no first party owner like there is with MS and Sony, nobody to get tetchy over possible legal issues. The most recent thing we've had is the FIA getting it's knickers in a twist over the masses of F1 mods around.
Oh I didn't know about that. Found it and more.

Maybe WMD could have a monthly competition for new liveries, and have the best 3 (or 5 or 10) available across all platforms. This would allow console users to design their own livery with a hope of getting it in game, and the rest of us would be spared the childish scrawls we often see on other titles.

Maybe we could have a topic here on GT Planet where we could vote on our favourites.

Maybe WMD could have a monthly competition for new liveries, and have the best 3 (or 5 or 10) available across all platforms. This would allow console users to design their own livery with a hope of getting it in game, and the rest of us would be spared the childish scrawls we often see on other titles.

Maybe we could have a topic here on GT Planet where we could vote on our favourites.
We did something similar for picking liveries so i don't see why not

Here's a thought. Maybe it's a dumb question but I'm new to PC games and I've never made a livery. I know there's no livery editor on console, but will console players, or anyone for that matter, be able to access the livery templates in order to create liveries of their own, even if they can't use them on console?

Don't see why not, they shoud be available on the pCARS website, but for what end?
I guess he means if something like a monthly competition went ahead, or SMS at some point decide to add new community liveries, everyone would have access to the templates so everyone could get involved... maybe.

Back