Livery Report System Being Abused (ATTENTION PD)

• Thread starter LeGeNd-1
  • 66 comments
I think we can all agree that anything against the law should be removed.

I still didnt see anything that directly addresses team branding or liveries .
It just seems odd to me that say castrol is only harrassing Gtsport artists of liveries but none the other games that have the ability to create the same. types of detail in liveries . Adds a bit of spice to life i suppose .

It just seems odd to me that say castrol is only harrassing Gtsport artists of liveries but none the other games that have the ability to create the same. types of detail in liveries . Adds a bit of spice to life i suppose .
It's not going to be a specific brand doing it.

It's most likely players that are not happy with/offended by/etc when they see specific liveries or decals uploaded and they just report them over it.

Have you been reading my posts? It doesn't need Castrol to complain for them to be removed. If a user reports it and PD know they don't have the rights to use it, they will remove it just in case Castrol do come knocking later.

What other games do you play where UGC is not removed frequently?

Last edited:
So yes, the TL;DR is that essentially people are gaming this system knowing that once they report them, PD must remove them if anything within the livery infringes. Even if the copyright holder themselves haven't made a claim. Because if they don't, the holder can later present evidence of reports and PD knowingly doing nothing about it. Which isn't good for PD.
I haven't followed every single post so forgive me if I missed something, but I find it odd that it's happening at all considering I haven't heard it being a thing with other games, Forza in particular.

EDIT: I see it was addressed, actually. I still find it odd that a game that has had a livery editor for over 10 years has had no issues, as far as I can tell, compared to one that barely added one in it's most recent iteration.

Last edited:
I haven't followed every single post so forgive me if I missed something, but I find it odd that it's happening at all considering I haven't heard it being a thing with other games, Forza in particular.

EDIT: I see it was addressed, actually. I still find it odd that a game that has had a livery editor for over 10 years has had no issues, as far as I can tell, compared to one that barely added one in it's most recent iteration.
I don't play Forza but you can't directly upload decals there can you, only recreate stuff with shapes? If that is the case, it changes things because no matter how good, they're never 1:1 copies and easier to argue against it being infringing.

But still in the end I'm still guessing based on how other companies deal with UGC. It is still up to the company, PD don't have to remove anything without a complaint from the actual copyright holder. Its just safe to do so from a legal POV.

If other companies prefer to wing it and just hope they get no complaints from the holder, it's on them.

Last edited:
I don't play Forza but you can't directly upload decals there can you, only recreate stuff with shapes? If that is the case, it changes things because no matter how good, they're never 1:1 copies and easier to argue against it being infringing.

But still in the end I'm still guessing based on how other companies deal with UGC. It is still up to the company, PD don't have to remove anything without a complaint from the actual copyright holder. Its just safe to do so from a legal POV.

If other companies prefer to wing it and just hope they get no complaints from the holder, it's on them.
That's true, I didn't think of that aspect. Weird loophole there it feels like, to be honest, as you really wont be able to tell most of the good ones apart from the actual liveries at all. Hell, people even do lifelike portraits on it, that's how good people get at creating things with it.

How the two games approach the livery editor can very much be the difference in outcome, and is probably something that would definitely alleviate the situation here if they adopted it the way Forza does it.

Last edited:
The Op stated that liveries were being removed because of the amount of likes they have and others for what they only know , reported them so they could have their own liveries as the most liked .

So far i have not seen anything to suggest that copyright holders are the ones taking down popular liveries that were user made.

And as i pointed out , The game itself has does not have a option for reporting copyright strikes.

The evidence clearly shows that the op so far is right .

It is an automated system and anyone can get anyone elses liveries removed.

Now the other game i was talking about is Iracing were you can use photoshop to import liveries , infact i could pay someone to make me one that looks just like say a DEI paint scheme , who Dales widow is extremely mindful of Dales brand and copyrights stuff all time , would not say anything about it because thats exactly the scheme i use .

Nothings ever been said by anyone one there ever.

Have you been reading my posts? It doesn't need Castrol to complain for them to be removed. If a user reports it and PD know they don't have the rights to use it, they will remove it just in case Castrol do come knocking later.

What other games do you play where UGC is not removed frequently?
Unfortunately yes i read your posts , but even if i did not read them , so what ? I myself am not going to lose sleep if you read mine or not so that just seems weird to ask .

The Op stated that liveries were being removed because of the amount of likes they have and others for what they only know , reported them so they could have their own liveries as the most liked .

So you think liveries are being removed purely because they're being reported x number of times, not because of their content? That would be a terrible reporting system. Unless you have some examples of cars removed that are purely painted in colours and no logos or copyrighted designs (like the FNF cars) then there is no evidence to support that.

So far i have not seen anything to suggest that copyright holders are the ones taking down popular liveries that were user made.

This is why I asked if you were actually reading my posts. I never said it was the copyright holders taking them down.

Now the other game i was talking about is Iracing were you can use photoshop to import liveries , infact i could pay someone to make me one that looks just like say a DEI paint scheme , who Dales widow is extremely mindful of Dales brand and copyrights stuff all time , would not say anything about it because thats exactly the scheme i use .

Nothings ever been said by anyone one there ever.

https://ir-core-sites.iracing.com/members/pdfs/iRacing_Custom_Paint_Policy_2_23_2011.pdf
(c) Your Paint Schemes may not infringe the copyright, trademark, publicity/privacy right or other intellectual property right of any third party. Without limiting the foregoing, you may not include in your Paint Schemes any trademark, logo, graphics, or any other content or materials of any third party unless you have obtained express written permission from the owner of the trademark, logo, graphics, or other content or materials to do so

In addition to all other rights and remedies that we have, we may (but are not obligated to) remove any of your Paint Schemes if we feel they violate any of the terms of our Terms of Use and End User License Agreement or are otherwise objectionable or inappropriate

Last edited:
So you think liveries are being removed purely because they're being reported x number of times, not because of their content? That would be a terrible reporting system. Unless you have some examples of cars removed that are purely painted in colours and no logos or copyrighted designs (like the FNF cars) then there is no evidence to support that.

This is why I asked if you were actually reading my posts. I never said it was the copyright holders taking them down.

https://ir-core-sites.iracing.com/members/pdfs/iRacing_Custom_Paint_Policy_2_23_2011.pdf
I know what it says , problem for you is iracing has plenty of unlicensed liveries that never get removed unless of course it is some type of image most would agree should be removed.

The other is iracing does have real eyes on their users . they dont use a automatic system like PD uses .

As per the op , they brought up the idea that people were using the reporting function to take down liveries they think are more popular than their own . I am not the op .

A company like House of Kolor most certainly has copyrights on tints so why couldnt a single colour livery get reported and taken down ?

I know what it says , problem for you is iracing has plenty of unlicensed liveries that never get removed unless of course it is some type of image most would agree should be removed.

The other is iracing does have real eyes on their users . they dont use a automatic system like PD uses .
So that sounds less that it's allowed like you're insinuating, and more of it's just harder to sift through for them.

A company like House of Kolor most certainly has copyrights on tints so why couldnt a single colour livery get reported and taken down ?
Wait, so are you agreeing or disagreeing that copyright infringement might be a thing in this case?

So that sounds less that it's allowed like you're insinuating, and more of it's just harder to sift through for them.

Wait, so are you agreeing or disagreeing that copyright infringement might be a thing in this case?
my whole point is based on what the op wrote, my opinion is its automated system , no human eyes look at any the complaints on gtsport in regards to liveries being reported and deleted.

Pd is not going to change that , and it will never have any effect on me , as i do not care if any livery i make gets likes or not.

I just feel bad for the people that do put effort in and have it deleted because so and so cant deal with that livery having more likes .

It is as simple as all that .

This is really weird. @OnlyOne07 liked it 25 minutes ago!

upload_2021-5-15_11-16-29.png

And I can see it there, and if I click that link, I can see it.

upload_2021-5-15_11-17-43.png

But when I cut and paste the link, it disappears again.

upload_2021-5-15_11-18-17.png

I think I'm going mad.

Just reposted it and...

upload_2021-5-15_11-22-2.png

Last edited:
Yeah, I just noted that in an edit.

It got another like, and it appeared in my feed, I then noticed the different link, but now it's went away again. Weird.

I can't see it with both links. Possibly you can see it because you're the original uploader? Weird.

Also even if the livery is removed people can still like it, so it's not a sure fire way to know if others can see it or not.

This is really weird. @OnlyOne07 liked it 25 minutes ago!

View attachment 1010992

And I can see it there, and if I click that link, I can see it.

View attachment 1010993

But when I cut and paste the link, it disappears again.

View attachment 1010994

I think I'm going mad.

Just reposted it and...

View attachment 1010998
In my screen it appeared as deleted, and I tried to like it and it allowed me to! I also tried from different country pages but that didn't make any difference concerning the deletion.

This happened in ‘The Golf Club 2019’. They have a feature that allows you to design and play your own golf courses. After officials at Augusta complained to HB Studios, any UGC that contained references to Augusta golf club was removed from the games search features. This was one of the PGA courses that were not included within the game.

Seems like it won’t be long before people start deleting all the UGC of anyone they had run-ins with, during the race! :scared:

I don't have the patients, skill or anything else needed to make even a half decent livery so I'm thankful to all those that spend there time making the game look better for us all!!!!
Seen offensive liveries that should be banned, but never reported....although have to admit I have punted drivers off because of there livery choices before.
Anyway you lot keep up the good work so I don't end up with all pink cars or something equally boring.

Not that I agree with it personally mind you, I agree with the article author Ferrari were being absurd. But it happens.
It's worth noting that in some jurisdictions, if a company fails to do something about a trademark infringement as soon as they become aware of it they lose exclusive rights to that trademark. Ferrari have trade marked all their car shapes. If someone clones one of their cars, they become aware and they fail to pursue the matter, it becomes legal in some places (USA for one) for anyone to copy their cars.
The same may be true for copyright, if the copyright holder does not pursue infringements of which they become aware it may be the case the intellectual property concerned reverts to public domain.
So why would the game allow you, and even encourage you to create replicas, if someone can just come along and remove them at will?
Replicas are fine legally in terms of colour scheme, provided you use decals from only the default included decals as far as brand names and that the designer of the original scheme has not copyrighted it or registered it as a trademark. If you check the game credits and acknowledgements you'll find references to all the manafacturers and included decal brands listed for copyright purposes. Any UGC for brands not on that list is potentially a copyright or trademark infringement unless the user who created the content has independantly obtained approval from the trademark owner or copyright holder.

On this note, someone mentioned Castrol as an example. Castrol would not kick up a fuss because they are one of the brands which PD lists in the game credits as having given approval for the use of their brand.

It's one thing to delete the liveries (I personally don't agree with it but I also don't know every law of every area in the world), but it is downright intolerable to ban someone for previous works they had no idea at the time would later be deemed as not allowed.
This is becoming YouTube levels of stupid. For the last few years, YouTube has banned people seemingly at random with the excuse that some of their old videos violate the new terms of service and now it seems like the same thing is happening in GT Sport. This needs to be stopped, because many people know how bad it has gotten on YouTube and we definitely don't want that for Gran Turismo.

Yeah. It's too easy to exploit the system when it comes to reporting. Since it's automated, anyone can falsify the report and get the person they're reporting banned for it. I've been a victim of it recently and my attempts to reach out to anyone on the matter have fallen on deaf ears so far.
I made a thread earlier mentioning this because I got a 30 day ban for absolutely nothing which means I was possibly targeted.

Back