Logitech G29 Force Feedback

Turkey
Turkey
Hi everyone, this is my first post here, I need help with an issue I'm having with my wheel.

I've been playing Gran Turismo 5 for a few weeks and I'm trying to get gold medals from everything.

I heard that gold medals are much easier playing with a wheel. And I had this G29 sitting around for a few years now and I've finally decided to use it.

But I can't play at all. I think this is called force feedback, and it's very immersive. But it's not easy. I tried two different advanced NASCAR special events and one beginner AMG event with the wheel, but I can't even drive straight. There is a stong resistance to my steering and the wheel moves on its own to left and right slightly all the time and all I'm doing is trying to stabilise the vehicle.

In options (in-game), there is a setting to reduce force feedback to 1 from 5, and it certainly helped, but it's still much more difficult for me to control the vehicle and even go straight, compared to a controller. I ended up getting back to my controller and got my golds from all those beginner AMG events including the full lap, but I'm so much disappointed right now.

I searched online for a way to disable force feedback and tried a few suggestions I found, but nothing worked so far. Unplugging the power cable didn't work, the wheel completely stops responding when I do that. And I also tried downloading the logitech steering wheel sdk on my pc and disable ffb by doing something I found on a website, but I couldn't make it work either.

I also downloaded Logitech gaming software and then Logitech G-hub or whatever it was called and the only setting I can find is the centering spring strength, but making that 0 didn't have any effect. The wheel is still very difficult to control, there is a very strong resistance to my steering and I can't drive, it's so frustrating.

Any way to turn ffb off? Or any other suggestions?

Thanks...

Changing settings using a PC will do nothing to the wheel on the PS3. The Logitech wheels do not remember any settings between one device and another.

The more downforce a car has the harder the wheel will be to turn. Try it with an MX5 or something and get used to it before going to the fast race cars.

Changing settings using a PC will do nothing to the wheel on the PS3. The Logitech wheels do not remember any settings between one device and another.

The more downforce a car has the harder the wheel will be to turn. Try it with an MX5 or something and get used to it before going to the fast race cars.

Thank you very much! I guess I gotta get better at it with practice then :)

The FFB settings in GT5 go from 1 to 10, as far as I remember, so if you want less FFB set it to 1.

Yeah thanks. I set it to 1 and I still suck :)
When I had my G29 it was terrible playing it on GT5, and I tried every setting but still no good. The G29 loves GT6 but hates GT5, so I ended up playing GT5 with a DS3 and GT6 with a G29.
The G27 wheel was very good for GT5 and I got all gold except for the Sebastian Vettel X Challenge all silver, and that was my first wheel back then.

Yeah thanks. I set it to 1 and I still suck :)
When I had my G29 it was terrible playing it on GT5, and I tried every setting but still no good. The G29 loves GT6 but hates GT5, so I ended up playing GT5 with a DS3 and GT6 with a G29.
The G27 wheel was very good for GT5 and I got all gold except for the Sebastian Vettel X Challenge all silver, and that was my first wheel back then.

Maybe it's not you that sucks, but the G29 on GT5 like @fordlaser said. I used a G25 on GT5 & it was awesome with the FFB on 10. However, the G29 has to be put into 'PS3 Mode' for it to work on PS3 because it doesn't have its own software driver but instead runs on the DFGT's driver. Maybe that's somehow the source of the issue. I have a G29 in a box somewhere, maybe I'll set it up & try it out on GT5 to see if there's a difference for myself...

Last edited:
I'm on a t500, so I don't really have much to offer. Either, your wheel setup is faulty or you just need to get used to a FF wheel. All I can say is, newcomers to my rig spent a lot of time fishtailing and over-correcting. Even if everything is set up perfectly, it does take a bit of getting used to but once you start to "take control" it all becomes clear.

Just to add....T500 wheel and pedals behave pretty much the same in GT5 and GT6. But even after years of playing I will admit that sometimes it seems excessively resistant when it shouldn't be.

Last edited:
I'm on a t500, so I don't really have much to offer. Either, your wheel setup is faulty or you just need to get used to a FF wheel. All I can say is, newcomers to my rig spent a lot of time fishtailing and over-correcting. Even if everything is set up perfectly, it does take a bit of getting used to but once you start to "take control" it all becomes clear.

Just to add....T500 wheel and pedals behave pretty much the same in GT5 and GT6. But even after years of playing I will admit that sometimes it seems excessively resistant when it shouldn't be.
A G29 does not preform well for GT5 but it preform very well with GT6, and G27 is ideal for GT5. I don't think there is anything wrong with his G29, because it is not a ideal wheel for the game using any setting.

A G29 does not preform well for GT5 but it preform very well with GT6, and G27 is ideal for GT5. I don't think there is anything wrong with his G29, because it is not a ideal wheel for the game using any setting.
That is too bad. Sounds like you have been unlucky @emboliformis . I can only recommend what I know. Whatever you buy, make sure it is future-compatible. Best of luck.

Whatever you buy, make sure it is future-compatible.
Or backwards compatible depending on your needs ;).

I have two Thrustmaster wheels and while they both play GT Sport my T-GT won't work for GT5 or 6 but will work for GT7 when it comes out. My T500 on the other hand may not work for Gt7 but does with GT5 and 6.

It's complicated.... or switch to PC.

Or backwards compatible depending on your needs ;).

I have two Thrustmaster wheels and while they both play GT Sport my T-GT won't work for GT5 or 6 but will work for GT7 when it comes out. My T500 on the other hand may not work for Gt7 but does with GT5 and 6.

It's complicated.... or switch to PC.
Sony are doing themselves no favour are they! This sort of rubbish is part of the reason I intend moving to PC. The other reason being multi screen support.

Last edited:
That is too bad. Sounds like you have been unlucky @emboliformis . I can only recommend what I know. Whatever you buy, make sure it is future-compatible. Best of luck.
No not unlucky mate I mainly Got the G29 for GT6 & Gran Turismo Sport, and I never had any plans not to play it on GT5. A couple of years ago I tried the G29 on GT5 because it was like a G27 and the wheel was shocking, and I should not have never sold my G27 and I am still kicking myself. Anyway I sold my G29 and brought wheel better wheel for GTS, and I play GT6 & GT5 with a DS3 now.

Thanks everyone for your replies. About the unplugging the power cable method, I'm not sure if it's supposed to work or if that's a joke, but I wish it worked. When I do that, my steering isn't registered at all. The vehicle just steered to the left on its own and then I got disqualified (it was an advanced NASCAR event).

For now, I'm back to my controller and I'm still trying to gold my last events. I finished all the licenses and most of the special events. Only the AMG intermediate full lap and all 5 expert (wet) events left. Oh and also Vettel, I haven't touched those yet :)

Simple solution... Just get a used older Logitech Driving Force setup on Ebay or where ever.

Thanks. I'm considering that tbh. But I'm not sure if it is going to make a significant difference. Do you have any experience with that model on gt5? Is it really much better/easier than a regular controller? I only need the Vettel challenges now. I managed to gold my last AMG events. But the Vettel special challenges are so brutal.

Thanks. I'm considering that tbh. But I'm not sure if it is going to make a significant difference. Do you have any experience with that model on gt5? Is it really much better/easier than a regular controller? I only need the Vettel challenges now. I managed to gold my last AMG events. But the Vettel special challenges are so brutal.
If you can get your hands on an G27 for the Vettel special challenges is ok, because that is a go to wheel for them events.

Oh, good to know, thanks :)

Though if the updates/patches get fixed, I believe I might be able to use an exploit to make those vettel events easier on a certain patch. But I prefer doing them properly. It's too difficult with a controller.

Back