Logitech G923 rattle fix

• Thread starter hawkeyez
  • 9 comments
Canada
Canada
the-1st-hawkeyez
Hey everyone thought I’d post a fix I did on my wheel which rattled a lot.

All you have to do is grease up some O Rings and roll them over the helical gears on the motors.

****The green arrow shows O Ring. Red arrow shows the movement I had found. That O Ring took up almost all the slack, it still moved a tiny bit after so I don’t think it is going to be hard on the motors at all. I also used silicone die electric grease and greased up all the gears while I was in there.

Raced all day today on GT7 and didn’t make a noise once. Even when I got rammed and flew off the track. My game settings are Controller Vibration 25 (Trueforce), Max Torque 3 and Sensitivity 7.

It has been bugging the crap out of me for many months and I’m so glad I finally disassembled it to figure out what the problem was. The wheel has less play in it as well. Feels like a brand new wheel, better than the day I got it.

Funny thing is it rattled so bad I contacted Logitech and they had me jump through their Logitech support hoops they make you do (have to take videos and pictures etc) they confirmed it was hooched and sent me a replacement wheel. The replacement wheel is still in my front closet unopened haha. I used this rattling wheel because of the way my rig is, I was lazy and didn’t want to fish the wires back out. Anyway, it’s a super easy fix. Make sure you use silicone grease.

Attachments

• ECBB0A48-FE6E-4139-AF75-7BBBBE558BA6.jpeg
    ECBB0A48-FE6E-4139-AF75-7BBBBE558BA6.jpeg
    106 KB · Views: 46
  • 3FF37B40-EE07-428A-9F76-ACB8E294A156.jpeg
    3FF37B40-EE07-428A-9F76-ACB8E294A156.jpeg
    105.4 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Canada
Canada
the-1st-hawkeyez
That's a great bit of advice, well done.
I just watched your video. My screws weren’t loose on the mounting plate for the motors but I had slightly play in the wheel itself. The o rings behind the helix gears took up that play or most of it. I didn’t want to jam it up so I put the o rings in and held the plastic hub against the metal plate and turned the wheel and it didn’t feel like it was binding at all. I may even pull it apart later and put small o rings in front of the helix gears to take up the rest of the minimal play. It’s like 1/16th if that. I am worried it might put extra stress on the motors but I do have a spare wheel so….. hahaha

Canada
Canada
the-1st-hawkeyez
Of course its clipping the ffb is so weak so its really hard to avoid :) But if the noise is gone even when you go on the gravel or during heavy ffb moments I am mightely impressed :)
Movement wise my G29 is fine, are you sure it's not clipping ?
I don’t know what clipping is, but I can usually feel/save a slide. On road coarse with my headset on, I can’t say I can hear any rattling nor can the people I race with. On a dirt track, I can hear it trying to knock away at those bearing housings but it’s definitely muted, which is ok I rarely race the dirt tracks. People I race with couldn’t hear it on a dirt track.

The people I race with have been racing a long time, way back to GT Legends and we’re fairly hardcore into it. I raced GT Legends too but it was more of a race every couple weeks out of boredom.

They have T300‘s and all I can say is I can keep up with them most of the time, and occasionally beat them. The odd race where they know the track very well I struggle. But neither of us have driven Road Atlanta for a long time and we are all very even on that track. I struggle with Monza against them for some reason. Haha

i guess in a nutshell, the rattling was so bad I was this close to throwing it thru my front window. So I’m a happy camper and I don’t think I’ve noticed any difference in FFB. And Ive gotten faster because before I was subconsciously trying to drive in such a way to reduce the rattling. Once fixed I was very very competitive with them.

Last edited:
Canada
Canada
the-1st-hawkeyez
Of course its clipping the ffb is so weak so its really hard to avoid :) But if the noise is gone even when you go on the gravel or during heavy ffb moments I am mightely impressed :)
Helical gears tend to ”float” by nature, the weird part is I didn’t see any clips, thrust washers or thrust bearings. So for some reason they’re just allowing those gears to hammer away at that bearing housing which looked like a small regular ball bearing. I’m guessing they epoxy the gears to the shaft since there’s no c clips or anything on either side. I could be wrong but I think the o-ring behind the gear is a good fix as it doesn’t take up all that float, as I said I could still move the shaft about 1/16th of an inch. In a sense I’ve installed “rubber” thrust washer/bearings.

Maybe Logitech knows more than I do and I’m missing something but they’ve had many many years to figure this out and they obviously never put any effort into it whatsoever.

All that being said, if they drop their price on the Logitech pro to $800 I’d buy it and sell my wheels, I’ve got two old Logitech momo’s as well as a G29. But I’m hesitant to buy Logitech again. Lol