Logitech/Logicool G29 troubleshooting

• Thread starter whiteusagi
  • 13 comments
Japan
Yokohama
Apologies if this is in the wrong forum, but as this is a relatively common wheel among GTS players, I am hoping to find someone who has/had a similar issue to what I am currently experiencing.

The main issue is that my G29 simply fails to work anymore. The wheel/base was never dropped, and has not seen any abuse, so this sudden change was quite surprising. Logicool (essentially Logitech here in Japan) does not conduct repairs, and simply sends full replacements if they can confirm validity of warranty. However, since my G29 (Purchased in November 2017) has passed the 2 year warranty period, the support team at Logicool have stated in clear terms that there are no means by which they can help or assist my case. I initially chose Logicool over Thrustmaster due to perceived reliability advantages, but the lack of any repair options has left me with a relatively sour impression where I am hesitant to drop another $450 USD (The G29 costs significantly more here in Japan than in the USA, where I have seen them go for as low as $190 new with shifter) to purchase another G29. As such, I hope to turn to the community to see if anybody might be well versed enough with the G29 to diagnose the issue.

More specifically, when plugged into USB in the PS4, the G29 will not begin calibration (no spinning whatsoever). The two outer green LEDs on the RPM indicator flashes intermittently once or twice before going blank again, so I assume that electricity is at least making its way from the base to the wheel. However, the LED by the PS3/PS4 switch does not light up, and none of the buttons on the wheel will respond to any inputs. Switching between PS3/PS4 modes has also proven fruitless.

Reading online, it appears that even without a power supply the wheel should at least be able to function as a controller just by plugging it in via USB, but my G29 fails even in that regard. The G29 will also not calibrate when plugged into a PC, as Windows throws out a message saying that the connected USB device cannot be recognized. No luck plugging into a PS3 either, with the same LED lights on the RPM indicator flashing but not registering any inputs. Some people have mentioned experiencing issues due to a wire coming loose within the base as well. Since then, I have also taken apart the G29, unplugged/replugged all connections, yet unfortunately am still experiencing the same issue. Nothing appears to be obviously out of place when taken apart.

Even more frustratingly, I have searched long and hard both in English and Japanese to see if anybody has experienced any similar issues, but to no avail. If anybody knows what, if anything, the flashing of the outer green LEDs indicate, please kindly let me know. Any assistance at all would be most sincerely appreciated. Thank you.

It sounds like it's power related with the LED's flashing then going off so you could try a new power supply for it.

Thank you very much for your replies!

Check if your toggle switch is in PS4 mode (PS3/PS4)?
Unfortunately, I have tried both PS3/PS4 modes, but the G29 remains motionless regardless

It sounds like it's power related with the LED's flashing then going off so you could try a new power supply for it.
I tried swapping out a power supply with another device that uses the same output and has the same plug as the G29. However, while the G29 + other device's power supply did not work, the other device + G29's power supply worked fine, which leads me to believe that the G29 power supply is working properly. Also, the LED flashing occurs as long as the USB is plugged into the PS4/PS3/PC, regardless of whether or not a power supply is also connected.

You could trying taking it apart and see if anythings come loose or has got really dirty. Its pretty easy to take apart and put back together again.

Ah OK. That was the only thing I could think of.

Hope you get it sorted.
Thank you very much for the well wishes! I definitely hope to sort out this issue as well.

You could trying taking it apart and see if anythings come loose or has got really dirty. Its pretty easy to take apart and put back together again.
Thank you for your suggestion! I have already taken apart the wheel/base, and unplugged/replugged all connections in hopes that something simply came off loose, but unfortunately the issue persists, and none of the symptoms have changed. Regards to dirt/dust, my G29 appears to be very clean (with grease being in the right places as well).

Any additional suggestions would be most appreciated. Thank you!

Try to start the PS4 into safe mode and restore the PS4 database with the wheel plugged in as the needed controller. Power off the ps, wait a bit and hold down the power button until you hear a second beep, press the ps button and restore the database.

Thank you very much for the suggestion! However, when I tried this, the wheel would not connect as a controller, at which point the database restoration had to be performed with the DS4. I have tried taking apart the G29 once again, only this time I have taken a couple pictures. For those who are familiar with the inner workings, does anything look particularly out of place?
View media item 63992View media item 63991

The cable in the wheel rim looks like its connected upside down...Dont want to look into mine right now for 100% confirmation but the plug looks like its been forced a bit to accept the cable position ;)

Thank you very much for the reply again! It looks like the connector only goes in one direction and isn't able to be inserted in any other orientation. Just to double check, my wires from top-to-bottom going into the wheel are as follows:
-Black
-Yellow
-White
-Orange
-Blue
-Green
-Red
Is yours setup differently? I understand not wanting to open up your wheel unnecessarily, but if/when you happen to have the chance, a quick look would be most sincerely appreciated. Thank you again.

Hi Whiteusagi

I have recently experienced the exact same issue with my G29 wheel.

I think its the power connection on the wheel, where the power supple plugs into the wheel.

Let me know if you have sorted out your issue or not.

I'm very sorry to hear that you're experiencing this as well, although to some degree I'm glad to see that I have not been the only one to encounter Logitech/Logicool's failure of the G29. Yes, I actually resolved my issue! I found a working G29 locally, and after swapping parts between the two in order to identify the point of failure, it came down to the circuit board inside the wheelbase (not the circuit board in the wheel itself). Afterwards, I searched online and found a replacement G29 wheelbase circuit board, and have not had any issues since replacing the board. Best of luck to you in getting your wheel fixed!

I am having a similar issue except the controller part does work. I took the motherboard out of the base to look at it. I noticed that when no motors were plugged into the board, I could turn it fine. With them plugged in, there was resistance when spinning clockwise, meaning there was a load. I unplugged everything from the board except the motors, there was still a load. I removed the board to try and find a problem. I noticed a diode connecting the ground to positive. That might be why the resistance is only in one direction, but im not sure why it wont spin. Not sure of the voltage the motors use, if i could find it then I would try powering them with another source. Typed on a phone so probably spelling mistakes.

Latest Posts

Back