Looking for help

  • Thread starter Thread starter Internomad
  • 34 comments
  • 2,120 views
Messages
11
United Kingdom
Lincolnshire
Messages
Internomad
Hi guys, first of all let me introduce myself. I am a married man with 2 adult sons and am a former soldier with 14 years service in the British Army and have now retired early and enjoying life.

Ok, so I'm a complete noob at car racing games but decided to check some out after downloading the Real Racing 3 app for my iPad. After reading many reviews and looking at countless videos, I decided that GT5 was the game that would provide me with the in-depth action that I am looking for. Irealise that it is not an easy game, but that is why I am here. :)

My game arrived this morning, I installed it to the HDD on my PS3, as recommended, all the updates where d/l and installed and I got the DLC which was available to me via Voucher Codes received with the game and now I have 26 cars at my disposal with a few other gifts too. So now I need to know where to start, what car to start with and how to tune them up.

Guys, I will be grateful for any advice that you can give me or any other help too. Thanks.
 
Hi guys, first of all let me introduce myself. I am a married man with 2 adult sons and am a former soldier with 14 years service in the British Army and have now retired early and enjoying life.

Ok, so I'm a complete noob at car racing games but decided to check some out after downloading the Real Racing 3 app for my iPad. After reading many reviews and looking at countless videos, I decided that GT5 was the game that would provide me with the in-depth action that I am looking for. Irealise that it is not an easy game, but that is why I am here. :)

My game arrived this morning, I installed it to the HDD on my PS3, as recommended, all the updates where d/l and installed and I got the DLC which was available to me via Voucher Codes received with the game and now I have 26 cars at my disposal with a few other gifts too. So now I need to know where to start, what car to start with and how to tune them up.

Guys, I will be grateful for any advice that you can give me or any other help too. Thanks.


Add R3dnekteddybear an i can help you threw out the gt5 came.
 
You have joined the best Forum on the internet for Gran Turismo 5

You can start with the license tests and some of the offline Aspec events.
Low power cars are good to get you going.
For tuning assistance I use two sections of GTPlanet
Praiano has very good tunes for my driving style
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=201649
and Adrena has many tunes from a variety of tuners
https://sites.google.com/site/gt5tune/

You can send a Friend Request on your PS3 to Racin-Rev and if you find you need a car for a particular event you can send me a message and I will either send you the car of put it on share for you to use.

I don't do online races or lobbies but many others on GTPlanet do.
You will find many racers here on GTPlanet that are really willing to help you.
:cheers:Cheers Mate
 
I decided that GT5 was the game that would provide me with the in-depth action that I am looking for. Irealise that it is not an easy game, but that is why I am here. :)

Welcome to our addiction!

GTPlanet features forums dedicated for virtually every aspect of this awesome game and a very helpful and active community.

As for looking for a place to start I would suggest either A-Spec Beginner or the License Tests (which will teach you driving theory and car control.) The tests are not necessary to play but can be helpful depending on your knowledge of driving techniques. The game helps you at first with tips and a bit of instruction but this quickly ends and you're left to your own devices.

The most central theme of Gran Turismo that you'll encounter is the PP (Power Point) system. This vehicle rating is typically the prime factor in limiting vehicle choice for races and series.

Depending on how you learn you may want to read the wealth of information about every aspect of the game or just jump in with both feet and learn everything on the go. Most importantly, drive and have a good time! Good luck!

Sark
 
I agree with Sark, best place to start is with your licence tests. They really give you a feel for how to drive within the game and if you stick with them, they'll help you get the most from it too.

When you need quick cash then try your hand at one of the seasonal races. Plenty of tips and help over in the Seasonal forum.

And..... welcome to :gtplanet: and to GT5. :cheers:
 
If you can't win any races you could always ask people on here they may give you an car.
 
Another thing you can do is try out the Time Trials going on in the Seasonal section of the games.They will be under a green banner.Every two weeks they introduce 2 new time trial races and two new drift trial(yellow banner)races where you can test your skills against the rest of the GT world.You don't even need to buy the cars for the trials this time,just show up and you're good to go.Throw down one clean lap and see where you stand.

Welcome to :gtplanet:
 
You'll be addicted in no time!

If you could afford a dfgt or some kind of wheel I'd certainly recommend it! Just makes the game more fun!

Tell your wife it'll help you make smarter car purchases in the future!
 
To get the most out of "The Real Driving Simulator", I strongly suggest that you get a steering wheel. The best entry level wheel is the Logitech G27 (the DFGT has flimsy plastic pedals, not good), & the cheapest stand for it would be the Wheel Stand Pro. If can afford to spend more, then get a race seat like the Playseat Evolution or something similar. If you don't play GT with a wheel, you're missing out on the best part of the game imo.

Once you have a wheel, head on over to Open Lobby & find some Shuffe Race rooms that say something along the lines of "Clean Or Kick" in the room title. Find a group of clean drivers, add them as friends, & prepare for some awesome & fun racing.


👍
 
Is there a place to add friends ingame, or is it just through the PS3?
 
Is there a place to add friends ingame, or is it just through the PS3?

If you see someone you like, go to their name in the lobby list and hit x. It'll give you options and one is "add friend"
 
VBR
The best entry level wheel is the Logitech G27 (the DFGT has flimsy plastic pedals, not good), & the cheapest stand for it would be the Wheel Stand Pro.

I agree, but you forgot to mention that the price difference is in the region of 150% to 200%. And the DFGT's pedals may be flimsy but the wheel in general gets the job done very well indeed, thank you.:)
 
Is there a place to add friends ingame, or is it just through the PS3?

Once you add someone on the PS3, they are added in GT5. You can also press the PS button & scroll over to "Players Met" (i.e. online) & add them that way. It's good to add players you meet online after races, cos sometimes you haven't got the time while racing online, you just forget.

@ Geopan973 - The DFGT is a good wheel, but the pedals are not. G27 is better if you can afford it.
 
You have joined the best Forum on the internet for Gran Turismo 5

You can start with the license tests and some of the offline Aspec events.
Low power cars are good to get you going.
For tuning assistance I use two sections of GTPlanet
Praiano has very good tunes for my driving style
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=201649
and Adrena has many tunes from a variety of tuners
https://sites.google.com/site/gt5tune/

You can send a Friend Request on your PS3 to Racin-Rev and if you find you need a car for a particular event you can send me a message and I will either send you the car of put it on share for you to use.

I don't do online races or lobbies but many others on GTPlanet do.
You will find many racers here on GTPlanet that are really willing to help you.
:cheers:Cheers Mate

Mate, I'm having a bit of trouble understanding Praianos tuning methods. What part of it do I require to look at and use. I already have the right thread for the car I want to tune, but don't really know what to do?
 
VBR
To get the most out of "The Real Driving Simulator", I strongly suggest that you get a steering wheel. The best entry level wheel is the Logitech G27 (the DFGT has flimsy plastic pedals, not good), & the cheapest stand for it would be the Wheel Stand Pro. If can afford to spend more, then get a race seat like the Playseat Evolution or something similar. If you don't play GT with a wheel, you're missing out on the best part of the game imo.

Once you have a wheel, head on over to Open Lobby & find some Shuffe Race rooms that say something along the lines of "Clean Or Kick" in the room title. Find a group of clean drivers, add them as friends, & prepare for some awesome & fun racing.

👍

This would be my advice too. You can be just as fast with a DS3 and if you only plan on playing a couple of hours a week you might want to stick with a controller. But if you want to get the most out of the game, get a wheel. G27 is a great wheel, there are others. A cockpit is great too or at least a permanent place to put a wheel. There are forums here with that info:

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=163

If you have the time and are handy, there are plans there for building cockpits.

The other thing I would suggest, and this is my personal opinion, is to avoid racing tires on anything but racing cars, and avoid using all driving aids from the beginning except for ABS (later on you can try without ABS). Racing tires give you unrealistic grip levels and take away the character of the car.
A trained chimpanzee can drive most street cars on RS tires so if you want a challenge and really want to learn the subtle nuances of driving in GT5, avoid them as much as possible.

The other aids are like an invisible hand that cover over and mask your mistakes, so you never learn to deal with what the car is really doing, or how to drive within it's limits. Most any high level series or competition on GT5 is done without SRF and traction control and usually on stock or street tires for street cars and race hards or mediums on only the fastest racing cars. If you learn the game with them on, you'll just have to relearn to drive without them later, so save yourself hours and hours of heartache and do it right from the start.

Good luck!!
 
Add me on psn: bri79

I always have cars to borrow, let me know what you need
 
Internomad, nice to meet you and welcome to GT Planet:tup:
There are numerous tuners on here that are very good.
praiano
Motor City
kremke
wallbanger
RKM
Mad Finn
If I missed any sorry:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:
If you need any help I sent you a private message,we are both in the same age bracket.
My PSN name is abetterplaya and I'm on now
 
Hi and welcome to gtplanet, send a friend request to me THE_MUTTS_NUTTS_ and I will send you some cars to help you on your way.
 
Welcome to GTPlanet! Doing Seasonal Events is a great way of earning money fast and earning lots of it. :)
 
Hi and welcome to gtplanet, send a friend request to me THE_MUTTS_NUTTS_ and I will send you some cars to help you on your way.

Mate,it says your ID is not registered, I put it in exactly how you typed it in this post.
 
Hi guys, first of all let me introduce myself. I am a married man with 2 adult sons and am a former soldier with 14 years service in the British Army and have now retired early and enjoying life.

Ok, so I'm a complete noob at car racing games but decided to check some out after downloading the Real Racing 3 app for my iPad. After reading many reviews and looking at countless videos, I decided that GT5 was the game that would provide me with the in-depth action that I am looking for. Irealise that it is not an easy game, but that is why I am here. :)

My game arrived this morning, I installed it to the HDD on my PS3, as recommended, all the updates where d/l and installed and I got the DLC which was available to me via Voucher Codes received with the game and now I have 26 cars at my disposal with a few other gifts too. So now I need to know where to start, what car to start with and how to tune them up.

Guys, I will be grateful for any advice that you can give me or any other
help too. Thanks.
Welcome to the best game of this virtual planet with greater emotion, if you need something about some tweaking this and place (gtplanet)
 
Is there a place to add friends ingame, or is it just through the PS3?
I speak English very short to simplify use translator, even so if you need some car or something else related to cars can ask, my id xande1959
 
Internomad
Mate,it says your ID is not registered, I put it in exactly how you typed it in this post.

Thats strange? Whats your user name I will send you one instead
 
User name is Internomad

How did you like the Altezza last night?You were getting better with it every lap.
I will send you another car later this evening,tell me what you want.
 
Mate, I'm having a bit of trouble understanding Praianos tuning methods. What part of it do I require to look at and use. I already have the right thread for the car I want to tune, but don't really know what to do?

Don't know if this will help but ---

Tune use by Racin-Rev, on Flickr
 
Thanks very much for the advice, it's all very helpful. I know how to do the tune ups now, so that's sorted, what I don't know, is how you work out what speed you need for each track?

How did you like the Altezza last night?You were getting better with it every lap.
I will send you another car later this evening,tell me what you want.

Was great fun mate, really enjoyed it. As for another car, I can't really think of one atm, however, one with really good acceleration would be nice. :)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks very much for the advice, it's all very helpful. I know how to do the tune ups now, so that's sorted, what I don't know, is how you work out what speed you need for each track?

If you are using praiano's tunes,adjust the final gear,left for longer straight tracks which will give you more top speed,or right for for shorter straights which will be a bit slower.
 
Last edited:
Back