Looking for help

  • Thread starter Thread starter Internomad
  • 34 comments
  • 2,120 views
Thanks very much for the advice, it's all very helpful. I know how to do the tune ups now, so that's sorted, what I don't know, is how you work out what speed you need for each track?

Run the track a few times and make note of your highest speed on the fastest part of the track. This is typically at the end of the longest straight stretch right before your braking point. Set the transmission for a little bit faster (but fairly close to your noted max) than that number. Run the track a couple more times and see if your max speed has gone up due to running lower gearing. Again make note of your top speed. If it's just a Time Trial then you're pretty much sorted. If you're racing against other cars then you need to take into account drafting off of other cars and adjust the tranny so that with that drafting you're still hitting your maximum speed but not on the rev limiter for the motor. Ideally you want to reach the maximum speed possible without hitting the rev limiter. This will give you your fastest acceleration yet not hinder your top speed by bouncing off the rev limiter. After a little experience you'll be able to guess pretty accurately at what you'll need for each track.

Sark
 
Nothing wrong with the DFGT fella hook it up with the as mentioned wheel stand pro and a couple of bungee straps for the said floppy pedals (check utube for DFGT bungee cord mod) and its all you need at this stage tbh. I run an established series and would like to think im pretty serious about online racing and it does me just fine.:) Anything you need car wise/set up wise add me if you like im more than happy to help where i can.:cheers:

Oh and im 37 with a couple of kids myself more power to ya elbow sir we need more oldies around here!!.;)
 
@Internomad, looks like you're getting great advice and you can see the community is a big support.

If there were one nugget I would give you to start it would be to go slow. This game doesn't just come to anyone, they have to get it by trial and error. I have played since GT first came out and hours and hours of driving slow cars, reading about real racing techniques and doing License Tests until they are all Gold really got my foot in the door.

Every itteration of GT that comes out I do the same thing.... License Tests First/All Gold. I did not do that with GT5 yet because my patience ran thin this time! Maybe why I don't play GT5 as much as I used to play the others in the series. From what I can tell this really is built for the racer that has a good Wheel and Pedals and really leans on the competitive online aspect.

I've always been stuck to playing with friends and family locally and the adjustment is not easy. You'll find Bruno the Bruiser on every public lobby you join and be ready to be scolded by every pro GT driver out there when online.

Ok, no more grumpy guss here... Awesome game and you made a good choice going with GT5
 
Thanks guys to all of you for the fantastic response and advice, I really appreciate it.
 
Back