Looking for new Ideas

United States
United States
GTP_Johnny1996
Hi all. As some of you may know, I photograph cars and trains. Most shots are just 3/4 view, and sometimes if it's a car that is my subject, I do some engine shots and detail shots, such as badges. It's all amateur work when it comes to me photographing this stuff. My train photos come pretty much year round but slow down in winter, and my car photos only come from car shows.

Since it's winter and I'm getting rather bored with trains and obviously can't do car shows, I came here to ask if anyone happens to have any suggestions on how to go outside my usual boundaries and do something a little different to change things up. I'd much prefer to do something at least loosely related with cars or trains, or both, but I am open to at least taking some of your suggestions into consideration. The only thing I ask is that it stays in the amateur realm and remains something for me to do at my own pace and on my own time.

I should note that my current camera is a Canon Powetshot SX400 IS, so it's not a full blown DSLR. If it was then this thread wouldn't exist as I'd know exactly where to go to answer my question, which would be taking up racing photography to try to get closer to the racing world since driving isn't currently an option for me. So with that all said, what are some suggestions you guys have, if any? I look forward to your responses and where this could take me.

:cheers:

Are you opposed to shooting nature related things? I keep a good mix of automotive, nature, and architectural photography personally.

Are you opposed to shooting nature related things? I keep a good mix of automotive, nature, and architectural photography personally.
Not really. In two or three years of owning my camera I've only done two or three nature shots. It's just not something I'm real big on but I'd be willing to give it a go.

Also I occasionally do planes if there's any flying overhead when I'm photographing trains. I wouldn't mind doing that some more, but I wouldn't really know what to look for or have any info on the plane itself.

Not really. In two or three years of owning my camera I've only done two or three nature shots. It's just not something I'm real big on but I'd be willing to give it a go.

Also I occasionally do planes if there's any flying overhead when I'm photographing trains. I wouldn't mind doing that some more, but I wouldn't really know what to look for or have any info on the plane itself.

It doesn't even have to be full blown nature shots I suppose. For example I have a gorgeous POV photo I took of a railroad... No train present but it has nature in the back ground. Allows you to be a little more creative possibly?

You could also look at doing street photography or taking pictures of neat views in the city? You can get very creative with those two things and there's really not a limit on the possibilities.

It doesn't even have to be full blown nature shots I suppose. For example I have a gorgeous POV photo I took of a railroad... No train present but it has nature in the back ground. Allows you to be a little more creative possibly?

You could also look at doing street photography or taking pictures of neat views in the city? You can get very creative with those two things and there's really not a limit on the possibilities.
That could work. Or maybe continue to do trains but with more emphasis on the background.

I would like to do some stuff in the city at some point but it's just too far of a trip to make just for photography. And it's rare that if go to the city for something such as a store run, that I have time to go around and shoot afterward.

That could work. Or maybe continue to do trains but with more emphasis on the background.

I would like to do some stuff in the city at some point but it's just too far of a trip to make just for photography. And it's rare that if go to the city for something such as a store run, that I have time to go around and shoot afterward.

Something I've become accustomed to doing is bringing my camera bag with me literally everywhere... you never know what will be picture worthy, and/or be happening. And sometimes you don't want to be stuck with your phone camera

Something I've become accustomed to doing is bringing my camera bag with me literally everywhere... you never know what will be picture worthy, and/or be happening. And sometimes you don't want to be stuck with your phone camera
I've slowly been getting there. Maybe if I start doing that it'll lead me somewhere. 💡

Latest Posts

Back