Looking for some help/tips/someone to drift on a DFGT!

Portugal
Lisboa
tronrider345
I need lots of help .. basiacly everything :crazy:

I can't drift, my car just oversteers and understeers .. I'm using a Fairlady Z '07 with 390BHP and 1392KG on CH tires.

I already improved a bit on throttle control, but I'm always desperate on when to turn the wheel, how much , etc...

Would anyone be kind and give help to a wheel noob? :guilty:

My PSN - tronrider345

I can give paints or share cars in exchange of help also. 👍

:cheers:

This kind of post is averaging about 1 a month I'd say. The short of it. A, keep your drifts shallow at first, until you are used to how fast you have to move the wheel, and how much. Start off with whatever car, at stock levels. then do one mod at a time. A power adder, then drive it again, then another, then drive it again, then suspension, then drive it, then tune a little on the suspension, then drive it again. It's a touch of a pain, but until you are good, this is the best way to get used to drifting with the wheel.
One thing I would like to point out, at first drop you FFB level low, like 1 or 2, and you have to saw the wheel a bit. This is the one thing that took me a while to pick up. I know it sounds odd, but for some reason, to hold a drift, you need to keep the wheel moving back and forth a little bit, otherwise you will end up grabbing traction or spinning it around. But like I said above, start stock, then work your way up. and do one mod at a time, feel it out, then move on.

Every car is different. I know some cars I need to start the drift long before I come into the corner, others can be not as much. Counter steer is important as well. BUT and this is a big booty, if you have the TCS @ 1 or above then you will get major oversteer. I personally noticed I had my cars set up for grip driving, that caused problems too. Dont be too stuck on one type of class of car (FR, 4WD, RR, MR, FF). You might find a class that works just for you. I found for me 4WD works the best!

Of course 4WD works the best, you have control of 4 wheels, not 2 ;)

So, I don't do 4WD on drifting.. and I always have all ads except ABS off!

. BUT and this is a big booty, if you have the TCS @ 1 or above then you will get major oversteer. I personally noticed I had my cars set up for grip driving, that caused problems too.

well, the point of drifting is major controlled oversteer..

always put your aids off except abs if you use it.

but for a tip, just practice, practice and practice. It takes a while before you get used to it.

also you can use tunes like the one's from twinturboCH for the s-chassis and rx-7.

Here is the secret to your steering:

drifting001Big.jpg

Big mistake most people make is jerking the wheel, or turning it at a higher angle than you want to go. When drifting, the front wheels do not point to the inside of the corner, if executed properly. They also do not point to the outside.

Look at this image, and draw a straight line through the front tires going out in front of the car. The tires always point where you want to go.

As for drivetrain... it doesn't matter. You can drift without any power application to any of the wheels if the circumstances are right. Power just makes things easier. My suggestion? Pick something with a power-to-weight ratio around .15HP per kilogram, or about half of what you have now. Learn to drift that first, you will mess up more, but you will be forced to focus on balance, steering, and control to drift instead of using only throttle.

Then, you'll find you can drift better and faster with less power, instead of more. Trust me on this.

Last edited:
What normally happends is, on 2 my car goes to the left instead of the right like the image.. or off road.. :indiff:

then you're countersteering too much, or/and not applying enough power.
you really have to develop a feeling for steering and power, it comes after practicing a lot

please correct me if I'm wrong

yaman is correct, to a point. Too much countersteer (wheels away from the path you want) will pull the car that direction. But that's ONLY if the wheels have grip.

For example, if your car has a heavy rear weight bias, the front wheels may not have enough weight on them to dictate the direction of the car. Thus, that 'pull' is less noticeable. On a front bias car, it makes for a more drastic effect. The same goes for when the rear has a lot of weight on it, the power output dictates the direction you are going.

yaman is correct, to a point. Too much countersteer (wheels away from the path you want) will pull the car that direction. But that's ONLY if the wheels have grip.

For example, if your car has a heavy rear weight bias, the front wheels may not have enough weight on them to dictate the direction of the car. Thus, that 'pull' is less noticeable. On a front bias car, it makes for a more drastic effect. The same goes for when the rear has a lot of weight on it, the power output dictates the direction you are going.

So Yaman is completely correct. Weight has nothing to do with it. If you countersteer too much, and dont throttle enough, every car will snap back.

So Yaman is completely correct. Weight has nothing to do with it. If you countersteer too much, and dont throttle enough, every car will snap back.

What if the front wheels are slipping too? How much is 'too much' and 'not enough'? It's a little more complicated than "just countersteer with throttle". You should know that. It has to do with grip, which the only way you can change your tires grip in the middle of a drift is weight distribution.

I wouldn't say that Yaman is completely correct if there are circumstances where he wouldn't be, and there are. It's fine for a new player, but it really oversimplifies things to say he is completely correct.

One more thing to add, since grip was brought up, you generally want more grip when drifting with a wheel then you need when drifting with a ds3. I was messing around with a car last night, at first I used the ds3 and was drifting autumn ring mini r. With the ds3 I had great drifts, but as soon as I got into the g27, I was fighting to keep the car under control. I decided to put CM tires on it and that alone made a world of difference. So it stands to reason that cars you had tuned using the ds3 will need a bump up in tires or the suspension/lsd tuned to provide more grip.

I've had my.g27 for about a year now, and I'm still learning things. If you're running on CH tires, try bumping them up to CM and see if that helps out. The biggest hurdle I think people have when switching up to a wheel is that you can't go from lock to lock with a flick of the thumb anymore. Traction becomes a lot more important with a wheel. Try to keep your drifts shallow at first and minimize how much steering input you need to use. Same for throttle control. You can't just slam and go. Thats why I always tell people that just made the switch to start with a stock car. Something like an FC or S14/15. It's going to be far easier to control and understand whats going on starting off there. Then when you think you have the hang of it, slowly start tuning the car. Don't make big leaps in power or huge adjustments to your suspension tune.

Practice practice, practice. There's no magic tune or advice we could give other than the hands on approach. I use nearly the same tune on every car. I call it the " osaka street drift tune" which is ride height set to it's lowest (i hex edit til it sparks on small bumps) front toe @ -.50, front camber @ -4 or 5, rear @ 0-2, i usually leave the rest whatever it defaults to. Lsd is usually set to 1.5 way or 2way.

Here's more advice; run -4 or more camber up front, it helps with front traction @ angle.... and that's irl advice, i ran the above on my s14.

Thanks for all the help!

I'm also sorry, I am not very good at showing my problems, I prefer to show than to tell .. :indiff:

Can anyone come online to see if they can help me or just for practice?

Back