Lotus Elise 111R

• Thread starter nhizzat
  • 31 comments
United States
Washington, DC
nhizzat
i'm sure i'm not the only one to experience this but on a lot of tracks, midfield raceway backwards for one, the elise seems to lose all contact with the ground even with added downforce. one example is the declining s-turn after the front straight the other is the highspeed s-turn after the backstraight. the rearend just lifts and just wants to come around. anyone know a fix to this? i have everything default except downforce set to 10/10, ridehight 110/115, bound 6/6. those are the only settings i changed. oh and i'm running on SS/SM.

nhizzat
i'm sure i'm not the only one to experience this but on a lot of tracks, midfield raceway backwards for one, the elise seems to lose all contact with the ground even with added downforce. one example is the declining s-turn after the front straight the other is the highspeed s-turn after the backstraight. the rearend just lifts and just wants to come around. anyone know a fix to this? i have everything default except downforce set to 10/10, ridehight 110/115, bound 6/6. those are the only settings i changed. oh and i'm running on SS/SM.
The 111r naturally has a little oversteer and your settings are making it a little more prominent. Level your ride height. A higher rear induces a little oversteer. Max your rear downforce. Available downforce should be 30/30, I would start with 15/30. Run sport softs front and rear. The SS's on the front are heating up quicker and stick better, the SM's don't heat as soon as the SS's and are letting the rear get loose. LSD will help a lot, start with 23/40/20. Increase the deceleration effect as needed,, to help stabilize the rear while decelerating into a corner. Increase camber to 2.0/1.5.

JParker

Now, personally, I dislike the LSD in most vehicles, and *especially* in this vehicle. The Elise is all about handling, and the LSD hampers handling. There is a good explanation about that in the LSD settings screen. You absolutely don't need the LSD in this car, it doesn't have enough power to break the tires loose in most situations, so all you're doing is reducing the car's handling abilities for absolutely no gain.

Also, you don't need the full racing suspension in this car. It is already a sports car. I run with the Sports suspension and I have much better overall handling than I did when trying to use the full racing suspension (and much better lap times on everything but the smoothest courses). This car is light, and racing suspension is stiff, even with lower spring settings. This makes the Elise bounce around too much, your tires lose contact with the ground, and then it's all over.

My suggestions - put all the power you can into the car (331hp), and use the Sports Suspensions at default settings or with slightly stiffer shocks and slightly higher camber.

Then just learn to drive the car. Learn how the oversteer works through some practice and you'll be fine.

Good luck and hope you enjoy the car!

Try telling Colin Chapman his Lotus will go faster if you drive it slower. THIS tune definately uses lsd, full racing suspension and all other modifications and sport medium tires. It definately needs ground effect canting; but no nitrous was necessary for a 1'15.726 at Midfield.
brakes 4/4
springs 7.6/7.4
height 105/155
bound 7/7
rebound 8/8
camber 2.8/1.7
stabilizer 2/2
auto 13
asm/o 0
asm/u 0
tcs 3
downforce 30/30
lsd 10/35/22
weight 10/-50
enjoy

Made a setup for the Elise. Hope some will use it.

Also, on Midfield Reverse, you will want to brake before the downhill left turn after the straightaway, or else you will go flying, and that's no fun. :scared:

This set-up is for the Lotus Elise 111R. It's fully modified with the best parts, including the rollcage, without nitrous, and uses Sports Medium tires. It also gave 1'15.939 on Midfield, and 1'17.621 on Midfield Reverse.

Comments and Suggestions are welcome.

Suspension
-Spring Rate: 16.0 / 16.0
-Ride Height: 101 / 131
-Bound: 7 / 7
-Rebound: 8 / 8
-Camber: 2.2 / 1.6
-Toe: 0 / 0
-Stabilizers: 3 / 3

LSD
-Initial: 25
-Acceleration: 30
-Deceleration: 20

Downforce
Amount: 30 / 30

Driving Aids
-ASM Oversteer: 0
-ASM Understeer: 0
-TCS: 2

Brake Controller
-Brakes: 9 / 9

Transmission
1. Slide "Final" all the way to the right.
2. Slide Autoset to 1.
3. Then slide "Final" to 3.720.
This is the tranny trick, and this is a good base for tuning your transmission for each track.

Ballast
-Weight: 0

© Duck7892

Give these a try as well. Wing was installed, but used no downforce what-so-ever. No ballast was used either. Set those two to your liking.
I turned a 1'17.397 on Midfield Reverse, and
a 1'15.512 on Midfield Normal with these settings.

Lotus Elise 111R

Exhaust : Racing
Racing Chip : Sports

Tire Type : Sport
Front : Medium (S2)
Rear : Medium (S2)

Nitrous : Equip (100 shot) ( I never use for settings tests and time trials )

Turbine Kit : Stage 3
Intercooler : None
Supercharger : None

Brakes : Racing
Brake Controller : Equip
Front : 3
Rear : 3

Suspension : Racing
Spring Rate : Front 12.0 / Rear 10.0
Ride Height : Front 92 / Rear 100
Shock (Bound) : Front 5 / Rear 4
Shock (Rebound) : Front 10 / Rear 8
Camber Angle : Front 2.5 / Rear 0.5
Toe Angle : Front 0 / Rear 0
Stabilizers : Front 4 / Rear 3

Transmission : Full Customize
Gears : 1st : 3.390
2nd : 2.335
3rd : 1.710
4th : 1.315
5th : 1.060
6th : 0.870
Final : 4.600

Clutch : Triple Plate
Flywheel : Racing
Carbon Driveshaft : None

Driving Aids :
ASM (Oversteer) : 0
ASM (Understeer) : 0
TCS Controller : 0 ( I use 0 on all the driving aids, but you can use what you feel better with)

Limited-Slip : Uninstalled
Initial Torque :
Acceleration :
Deceleration :

I'm kind of "specializing" in this car as I think it's both beautiful and insanely fun to drive. I went through a phase with the racing suspension also, but eventually switched to sports for much better handling on rough surfaces (see my above reference to this). Here's my suspension settings (in traditional front / rear style):

Downforce: 15 / 30

Sports Suspension:
Ride Height: as low as possible on both ends
Shocks: 8 / 10
Camber: 2.0 / 2.0

Limited Slip: NONE (Standard)

Driving Aids: NONE

Tires: This config works well on any sports or racing tires

In all other ways I fully mod this model including the roll-cage, NOS etc.

Again, I strongly feel the the racing suspension and LSD are not only unnecessary, they are actually detrimental to this car's handling. Everyone likes something different of course, but I've put a LOT of miles in this model vehicle, so I feel I know it pretty well, for whatever that's worth.

panjandrum
I strongly feel the the racing suspension and LSD are not only unnecessary, they are actually detrimental to this car's handling. Everyone likes something different of course, but I've put a LOT of miles in this model vehicle, so I feel I know it pretty well, for whatever that's worth.
Feelings are great. 👍
I tried your settings and liked them alot, the car had none of it's typical "washiness", it pointed where I wanted and was very stable on the rumble blocks. However, I was unable to get within 2 seconds of the ghost I made using sports suspension, which has less than one fifth the game value of racing suspension, with my settings adapted to it. I think the biggest differences would be traction lost to rear camber slippage and also the fact that a low placed center of gravity is trumped by ground effect downforce in the world of GT4 game physics.
Reluctance about lsd is understandable, times were relatively close, but I "felt" more sure footed braking into the tighter turns with the lsd equipped; the deceleration side advantages should be undeniable, regardless of horsepower or weight, and would justify the cost of fitting and trouble of adjusting. I still believe there could be acceleration side benefits, certainly not deficiencies, when properly tuned.
Rather than being an affirmation of the efficacy of the sports suspension, it proves I have much yet to learn about GT4 car tuning. A racing suspension, besides including any backbone parts of ANY modern performance package (like "sway bars" or stabilizers which apparently are lacking on the sports suspension), provides its 17,000c value mostly in it's adjustability, with the clear implication that it can be adjusted through and beyond the range covered by the sports suspension... hmmm...

💡
Thank you, panjandrum, you have helped me learn the sensation of overly restrictive stabilizers. I cut the stabilizer setting in half and after fine tuning the lsd, turned a 1'15.726 at Midfield normal, my fastest and the best time of the test. It also drove through the corkscrew/hairpin combination with excellent control while fully sliding. Further gains were to be had by adjusting for brake steering, but only a few seconds. I have edited my above post to reflect the new tune.
Perhaps if you still wish to support the idea of using a sports suspension, you could post some times that show how well it works.

I don't keep track of all my times with the different settings. I will occasionally run some time-tests, and as I improve the configuration I'll just delete the older records from the list and keep the best time for each car. Therefore I know that I'm getting the best times with the Sport suspension, but I can't tell you how much better they are than they were when I used the Racing suspension. I remember it was a significant improvement.

I tend to tune cars by feel instead of numerically, and drive cars I think are fun rather than cars which I can win the races easily with.

I can also say that when I switched to Sports suspension I immediately began to win races I was having trouble with before. Most notably I won the entire Japan GT series in the Lotus Elise IIIr. Today I started working on the Dream Car races in the Extreme section and won a 176 point race at Deep Forest against a host of true race cars including the white Ford GT Race car featured in the intro movie (can't remember the year of that car, it's new, an 04 or 05 I think). The Ford came in a little over 4 seconds behind me...

panjandrum
I don't keep track of all my times with the different settings. I will occasionally run some time-tests, and as I improve the configuration I'll just delete the older records from the list and keep the best time for each car. Therefore I know that I'm getting the best times with the Sport suspension, but I can't tell you how much better they are than they were when I used the Racing suspension. I remember it was a significant improvement.

I tend to tune cars by feel instead of numerically, and drive cars I think are fun rather than cars which I can win the races easily with.

I can also say that when I switched to Sports suspension I immediately began to win races I was having trouble with before....
Riiight, sounds pretty definitive, you got me convinced at least :dopey:
Well judging by your response, I think we can safely say that it is not a matter that the racing suspension was too sophisticated for your abilities and rather than employ tunes posted by skilled tuners you chose the simpler option, which luckily worked for you.
Just so long that we have it clear that you aren't trying to convince our newer members the sports suspension is actually superior.

rk
Riiight, sounds pretty definitive, you got me convinced at least :dopey:
Well judging by your response, I think we can safely say that it is not a matter that the racing suspension was too sophisticated for your abilities and rather than employ tunes posted by skilled tuners you chose the simpler option, which luckily worked for you.
Just so long that we have it clear that you aren't trying to convince our newer members the sports suspension is actually superior.

No, I'm definitely not suggesting that the Sports Suspension is better in most vehicles. I run the racing suspension in almost all my cars, unless it is a classic for which I want to keep the original handling for some reason.

In this car, I've had better luck with the Sports Suspension. I've found that to be true of a few of the cars which are already great handlers right off the show-room floor.

why midfield?! thats my question for everyone (btw my elise runs like a champ, and ill soon post all my settings) buy is it universal to go on midfield? id rather go on like the cooler maps like trial mountain, thats one of the best maps in my opinion, its longer, but theres lots of corners and some straights. someone please explain why midfield

djaft3rb3ats
why midfield?! thats my question for everyone (btw my elise runs like a champ, and ill soon post all my settings) buy is it universal to go on midfield? id rather go on like the cooler maps like trial mountain, thats one of the best maps in my opinion, its longer, but theres lots of corners and some straights. someone please explain why midfield
Midfield has a good variety of high, medium, and low speed turns, uneven track transitions, rumble strips, and a fairly long straight.

JParker

ahh, that sounds pretty good there rk, but since trial mountains been around for a while, its easier to master and race, dont gotta worry abuot something new poppin out around the corner

Hey everyone. After going through the susp tuning process on the elise recently; ran it at midfield after someone pointed me to this thread. My best lap was a 1:12.170, FWIW. Here's my settings for comparison.

from: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?p=1751958#post1751958
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

settings:
Front Rear
Spring Rate 6.7 kgt/mm 11.0 kgt/mm
Ride Height 91 mm 94 mm
Shock Bound 4 5
Shock Rebound 5 6
Camber angle -1.7 -1.5
Toe Angle 0 +1 (in)
Stabilizers 5 5

Also, put the limited slip to the settings you suggested (helped a lot), dropped the TCS to 3 (I only had it set high to isolate the suspension probs, didn't want wheelspin confusing the issue any), set the downforce to 15/25, and adjusted what I think the biggest problem probably was; the brake balance settings, to 24/13. I had them set evenly before and the car pretty much went unstable under hard breaking. Car handles like a dream now. Just threw down a 7:12; but I'm sure with a good driver the car should be capable of mid/low 6's. I'll have to throw some softer compound tires on it than the racing mediums I have on there right now; that should also help a lot...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tuned it at Nürburgring....

Cheers

Errrmm.... forgot to mention I went and bought soft racing compounds between Nurburgring and running midfield. Oh, and got the time down to 1'10.944. Nothing near a perfect run so I'm sure it's capable of going below 1'10. Try holding it a gear above what GT4 suggests going into the turns, saving that shift was shaving off about a 1/4 of second in almost every turn for me...

Rybbie
Hey everyone. After going through the susp tuning process on the elise recently; ran it at midfield after someone pointed me to this thread. My best lap was a 1:12.170, FWIW. Here's my settings for comparison.

from: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?p=1751958#post1751958
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

settings:
Front Rear
Spring Rate 6.7 kgt/mm 11.0 kgt/mm
Ride Height 91 mm 94 mm
Shock Bound 4 5
Shock Rebound 5 6
Camber angle -1.7 -1.5
Toe Angle 0 +1 (in)
Stabilizers 5 5

Also, put the limited slip to the settings you suggested (helped a lot), dropped the TCS to 3 (I only had it set high to isolate the suspension probs, didn't want wheelspin confusing the issue any), set the downforce to 15/25, and adjusted what I think the biggest problem probably was; the brake balance settings, to 24/13. I had them set evenly before and the car pretty much went unstable under hard breaking. Car handles like a dream now. Just threw down a 7:12; but I'm sure with a good driver the car should be capable of mid/low 6's. I'll have to throw some softer compound tires on it than the racing mediums I have on there right now; that should also help a lot...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tuned it at Nürburgring....

Cheers

//M-Spec wrote a stickied thread titled "Please Search before requesting/Posting Settings". It is to insure all our valuable tuning information is not lost to scrambled or muddled searches. Imagine your dismay if you had actually followed his advice, but found 5 or 10 different threads, all discussing the Lotus Elise 111R and all covering more or less the same ground. You might even give up before finding the one tune, buried among the rhetoric, that works for you.
Heck, you might even find a thread where people post their tunes with a lap time for comparison. Of course, if you ran a test with stickier tires, then posted your time on the same track, it might confuse people to think your tune was somehow faster...Of course, as long as you keep your brakes around 24, your stopping distances will insure that can't happen, you will still be skidding down while the other guy is headed to the next turn.

rk
//M-Spec wrote a stickied thread titled "Please Search before requesting/Posting Settings". It is to insure all our valuable tuning information is not lost to scrambled or muddled searches. Imagine your dismay if you had actually followed his advice, but found 5 or 10 different threads, all discussing the Lotus Elise 111R and all covering more or less the same ground. You might even give up before finding the one tune, buried among the rhetoric, that works for you.
Heck, you might even find a thread where people post their tunes with a lap time for comparison. Of course, if you ran a test with stickier tires, then posted your time on the same track, it might confuse people to think your tune was somehow faster...Of course, as long as you keep your brakes around 24, your stopping distances will insure that can't happen, you will still be skidding down while the other guy is headed to the next turn.

Yah yah, I'm sorry for making a second thread, no reason to be snide. A simple "check the thread titled "search before blah" would have gotten your point across just as well... I'll make sure to do the search thing from now on.

I wasn't aware that there were "official" tire requirements for this run. I saw one person in this thread mention the type of tires they used. Switched to M/M (with the same brake settings I might add) and ran a 1'12.121. Does that mean my settings are better? Maybe, I don't know; I felt like my lines were pretty good too; so maybe I just outdrove the other people that posted; but I doubt it, I'm sure there are some real pros on this site; I didn't get into "the game" until GT3. So are the settings better? Like I said, maybe, might as well post them for comparison's sake. On a track as simple as midfield, the difference between racing med's and softs isn't all that huge. I'll have to mess with the brake settings and see if I can shave a second or two off just from that. I doubt it, the car doesn't seem to be "skidding down", but I'm happy when I can shave half a second off, so it's worth a try...

Rybbie
Yah yah, I'm sorry for making a second thread, no reason to be snide. A simple "check the thread titled "search before blah" would have gotten your point across just as well... I'll make sure to do the search thing from now on.

I wasn't aware that there were "official" tire requirements for this run. I saw one person in this thread mention the type of tires they used. Switched to M/M (with the same brake settings I might add) and ran a 1'12.121. Does that mean my settings are better? Maybe, I don't know; I felt like my lines were pretty good too; so maybe I just outdrove the other people that posted; but I doubt it, I'm sure there are some real pros on this site; I didn't get into "the game" until GT3. So are the settings better? Like I said, maybe, might as well post them for comparison's sake. On a track as simple as midfield, the difference between racing med's and softs isn't all that huge. I'll have to mess with the brake settings and see if I can shave a second or two off just from that. I doubt it, the car doesn't seem to be "skidding down", but I'm happy when I can shave half a second off, so it's worth a try...

Ok, hate responding to my own posts; but here goes, re-read what I typed and it came across as a little snide as well; re-read yours and it didn't sound so snide as I read into it the first time; blech; not very good at the interpersonal thing on the internet. Changed the brake balance settings a little; car wasn't really skidding to begin with, but it has better turn in qualities now, and trail brakes much better, so thanks for the suggestion. Was able to get the M/M time down to about 1'11.16 and the S/S time to 1'09.705, so definite improvements, partly 'cause of the brakes and partly just from running the course over and over and over again for like an hour:-P I'll have to mess around with the downforce tomorrow and see if I can improve it any more. Cheers...

Rybbie
Ok, hate responding to my own posts; but here goes, re-read what I typed and it came across as a little snide as well; re-read yours and it didn't sound so snide as I read into it the first time; blech; not very good at the interpersonal thing on the internet. Changed the brake balance settings a little; car wasn't really skidding to begin with, but it has better turn in qualities now, and trail brakes much better, so thanks for the suggestion. Was able to get the M/M time down to about 1'11.16 and the S/S time to 1'09.705, so definite improvements, partly 'cause of the brakes and partly just from running the course over and over and over again for like an hour:-P I'll have to mess around with the downforce tomorrow and see if I can improve it any more. Cheers...
It's all good, I will easily take the title of "most abrasive poster," somehow I have this whacked idea it makes people think more, but I can sure catch some heat for it...Enough of me; just to clarify, original time was posted on sport tires, medium if it matters, but, as you say, there is little difference between firmness on similar compound tires in Practice Mode. The reason he used sport tires, I think, is that is what the car is allowed to race with in it's class, and the reason he posted a time is for comparative purposes, granted, this opens the door for future posters to make a "my settings got this many thousands faster a time" post, but it is a racing game, after all.

*edit* just checked the thread, I was the original "time" poster, somehow I thought it was Duck... :embarrassed:

rk
It's all good, I will easily take the title of "most abrasive poster," somehow I have this whacked idea it makes people think more, but I can sure catch some heat for it...Enough of me; just to clarify, original time was posted on sport tires, medium if it matters, but, as you say, there is little difference between firmness on similar compound tires in Practice Mode. The reason he used sport tires, I think, is that is what the car is allowed to race with in it's class, and the reason he posted a time is for comparative purposes, granted, this opens the door for future posters to make a "my settings got this many thousands faster a time" post, but it is a racing game, after all.

*edit* just checked the thread, I was the original "time" poster, somehow I thought it was Duck... :embarrassed:

Ahahahaah; that explains things; for whatever reason I read it as racing tires. Switched out and that dropped me to like a 1'15.8. I'll have to try the settings you guys are using and see if I like the car's handling better. Did have to up the front camber after switching tires...

Rybbie
Ahahahaah; that explains things; for whatever reason I read it as racing tires. Switched out and that dropped me to like a 1'15.8. I'll have to try the settings you guys are using and see if I like the car's handling better. Did have to up the front camber after switching tires...

Haha, I was going to say, how the hell are you getting a 1:12.xxx on sport mediums. I figured you were using racing mediums or softs, then I read a few posts down and saw where you were talking about using those tires.

Latest Posts

Back