Loving.. absolutely loving the new damage model by PD on GT7

United States
United States
So I’ve been at this game since the start.. the last 2 weeks have been as bad as it’s ever gotten in Sport Mode, dirty driving doesn’t even begin to describe the driving I’ve experienced. Since PD clearly isn’t gonna take a stand when I comes to correcting there penalty system (or lack there of) I’m loving the damage model they’ve implemented this week in the daily races. Anyone else agreed or disagree? Also c’mon PD make the Alpha Romeo 155 available for purchace again!

I don’t spend much time at all in public lobbies, so genuinely curious how this reduces dirty driving.
From what I’ve seen, those guys that drive like this is a basher racing or demolition derby game usually don’t care if they lose, so now don’t they have the satisfaction of inflicting more damage on those they hit to further ruin their lap times and enjoyment, or does damage only apply to person responsible for the collision?
I ask because in single player the AI will hit you and leave you limping along with all sorts of damage whilst they drive off seemingly unaffected by it, which is rather annoying. I just assumed in online mode the damage would be reflected equally on both parties. Is that not how it works?

Not sarcasms at all. When you have a rammer on the course they can only destroy 1 maybe 2 drivers races. The damage slows them down enough to eliminate them.. it’s brilliant!
But it’s the poor chump who got rammed into the wall that gets the real damage, not the rammer. This is the entirety of strategy for races B and C this week: ram people who are in your way, edge them into any number of walls, kill their motor and knock them completely out of contention while only taking a little bit of inconvenient damage to your own car. Meanwhile, they’re in a ditch somewhere and you get to drive along at nearly-normal pace to ram the next sucker in your way. I absolutely hate it.

As long as the rammers aren’t properly penalized, it only encourages the worst kind of offenses. At least this is what I’m seeing today.

Last edited:
Bit it’s the poor chump who got rammed onto the wall that gets the real damage, not the rammer. This is the entirety of strategy for races B and C this week: ram people who are in your way, edge them into any number of walls, kill their motor and knock them completely out of contention while only taking a little bit of inconvenient damage to your own car. Meanwhile, they’re in a ditch somewhere and you get to drive along at nearly-normal pace to ram the next sucker in your way. I absolutely hate it.

As long as the rammers aren’t properly penalized, it only encourages the worst kind of offenses. At least this is what I’m seeing today.
That’s how I assumed it would work so I didn’t understand how this is a good thing to deter dirty drivers. If anything it seems like an advantage for them to ruin everyone’s races even more now.

Well I certainly hope your not right about this being a rammer’s advantage. What game on console has great racing and a fair penalty system? I’d really like to play something fair but I don’t really have the time to try multiple multiple racing games to find out.

That’s how I assumed it would work so I didn’t understand how this is a good thing to deter dirty drivers. If anything it seems like an advantage for them to ruin everyone’s races even more now.

I found at least race B to be clean...I think I am in the same lobbies as bullwinkle as well...

I know people hate when I say this, but if you are better driver than the people ramming you, returning the favor they are doing to should not be hard. Do not do emotional, do it coldly calculated and tell them you will stop when they stop ramming them. If people send me clips of being rammed I will take out the rammers for you. Think of me as Dexter of the rammers. I take no pleasure in it but its rationally the only thing you can until PD fixxes the penalty system.

Heck yeah, good idea, Dexter of the rammers...that's what they should get, sick of them people driving like no one else is on the track, what's the point of them playing the game, seriously I don't get how they can enjoy that...

I found at least race B to be clean...I think I am in the same lobbies as bullwinkle as well...

I know people hate when I say this, but if you are better driver than the people ramming you, returning the favor they are doing to should not be hard. Do not do emotional, do it coldly calculated and tell them you will stop when they stop ramming them. If people send me clips of being rammed I will take out the rammers for you. Think of me as Dexter of the rammers. I take no pleasure in it but its rationally the only thing you can until PD fixxes the penalty system.
What people often (want to) forget is what happened before someone gets rammed. Clips often do not include what went on before someone gets Tboned. Maybe they were being dirty themselves? Of course there are also simple dirty racers, But I seldom get rammed without any provocation that led to it. I never ram people on purpose unprovoked, but sometimes I either make a mistake, the guy in front brakes way too early for my liking, or other people feel wronged on a legit pass but they didnt see you and slam into you.

What people often (want to) forget is what happened before someone gets rammed. Clips often do not include what went on before someone gets Tboned. Maybe they were being dirty themselves? Of course there are also simple dirty racers, But I seldom get rammed without any provocation that led to it. I never ram people on purpose unprovoked, but sometimes I either make a mistake, the guy in front brakes way too early for my liking, or other people feel wronged on a legit pass but they didnt see you and slam into you.
eh you can go back and watch replays. People who are dirty are typically not dirty just to you, they are dirty to everyone. It easy to message these people and tell them what they did, and how to make it stop. They are super easy to identify. These are not people who missed their braking zone, or ran you wide on bad pass once. IE dirty does not equal people who slightly careless....

The thing is someone braking eariler than your liking means you should have not followed so closely. in real race you typically follow further apart till you establish where people are braking.

The people who slam you on legit pass are in the wrong. They need more spacial awareness.

Yes the more sensitive damage model its on point...

About the outcomes well theres infinite possibilities but its very positive, people need to be more carefull, no wall ridings, improve awareness to avoid rammers. Even small damage will ruin the race so no matter if its provoked or not people will be penalised and eventually will learn that its better to be clean.

I think theres a lot of new people playing the game and also returning ones, some are dirty some dont know how to race. Theres nothing PD can do to solve those kind of problems...

People that care enough and pratice enough will climb the ranks and eventually get cleaner drivers.

Dirty people can be found in any game so damage its the best way to penalise them..., permanent damage its even more severe and could be implemented in daily/season races.

But i think permanent damage should only be applied to A+ rank for obvious reasons, people do less mistakes so the possibility of ruin others races its also less.

Last edited:
But i think permanent damage should only be applied to A+ rank for obvious reasons, people do less mistakes so the possibility of ruin others races its also less.
Bro' what?
No thanks!

Could you actually think of a more efficient way of putting a bullseye/target on the back of every A+ driver running ahead of a non-A+ driver?
You'd see people sending it from 2" gaps to try and collect you under braking...

It easy to message these people and tell them what they did, and how to make it stop. They are super easy to identify.
Well, the real ones don't leave their messages or friend requests open so I guess here it goes to tell 'em about it...

Last edited by a moderator:
now people hit the wall and start to weave on the track. it's insane how people always find a way to screw everything up

Last edited:
Dirty people can be found in any game so damage its the best way to penalise them..., permanent damage its even more severe and could be implemented in daily/season races.

The thing is: The damage from the actual car to car contact, is much less severe than the damage we get by just brushing the wall now. So for the dirty guys it is ideal, they can just tap or actually ram you and maybe get a suspension+bumper damage, while we can't avoid the wall and lose our engine... Sometimes we can see the guy coming and try to take avoiding action, but not always, and to add salt to injury sometimes they don't even get the penalty for contact. I know it can't be a perfect system, but as it is now, it's way easier to screw the other players...

The thing is: The damage from the actual car to car contact, is much less severe than the damage we get by just brushing the wall now. So for the dirty guys it is ideal, they can just tap or actually ram you and maybe get a suspension+bumper damage, while we can't avoid the wall and lose our engine... Sometimes we can see the guy coming and try to take avoiding action, but not always, and to add salt to injury sometimes they don't even get the penalty for contact. I know it can't be a perfect system, but as it is now, it's way easier to screw the other players...
Its like real life. Car to car contact usually makes much less damage than by hitting a solid wall. You hit a solid wall IRL and usually bye bye car

Bro' what?
No thanks!

Could you actually think of a more efficient way of putting a bullseye/target on the back of every A+ driver running ahead of a non-A+ driver?
You'd see people sending it from 2" gaps to try and collect you under braking...
Thats what people did and still do.., damage will go both ways so no point on infliting damage, if people do it to ruin others race they will be penalised aswell.., its not random.

I know how it is cause i raced in private leagues with permanent damage.., wich mean a "small" touch and your race its ruined, with permanent damage people needs to box to repair...

It can sounds frustating but it is how racing works in RL..., and if permanent damage was applied to A+ lobbies probably only top splits could have that on since lower splits have A rated drivers also.

That will never happen but if did.., was good also for some top drivers that dont respect slower drivers, dive bombs and forcing others might cost them the race.

Its all good things, if you take the risk you must be ready to pay the consequences..., wich can be good if you respect your and others space.., if not race over.
Eventually people have to be more carefull, learning the danger of first corners and firt laps and so on.

Last edited:
I thought it would make people drive more cautiously but no its more of the same. Now it's even worse when someone takes you out. On top of them not getting a penalty you are now damaged and way behind by the time you recover. Some races are ok but that's diminishing.

It's frustrating waiting for a daily race only for someone to take you out and be 30 seconds behind after the first turn. Sometimes I stay and get some places back but I wanted to play online to race against other good drivers fairly so it defeats the purpose of the game entirely for me.

Thats what people did and still do.., damage will go both ways so no point on infliting damage, if people do it to ruin others race they will be penalised aswell.., its not random.

I know how it is cause i raced in private leagues with permanent damage.., wich mean a "small" touch and your race its ruined, with permanent damage people needs to box to repair...

It can sounds frustating but it is how racing works in RL..., and if permanent damage was applied to A+ lobbies probably only top splits could have that on since lower splits have A rated drivers also.

That will never happen but if did.., was good also for some top drivers that dont respect slower drivers, dive bombs and forcing others might cost them the race.

Its all good things, if you take the risk you must be ready to pay the consequences..., wich can be good if you respect your and others space.., if not race over.
Eventually people have to be more carefull, learning the danger of first corners and firt laps and so on.
OK, I understand your idea a bit better now.
But I think that having heavy damage in the top split(s) only would still be odd because of the way the entry lists are filled.
The "top split" is only the 12, 16 or 20 best times in quali or practice available in the region at the time matchmaking begins.
Given the right conditions, a "top split" could be filled with DR D entries.
So I think it would be difficult to implement in the dailies, maybe a bit more possible in Nations or Manufs.

I'd have thought this would make the 'rammer s', deliberate or not, slowly leave the game.

Don't understand people who derive fun from playing this way, but I imagine it'd get old pretty quickly coming last or near to that most races. They'll then move onto something else. Maybe there's a sub section that like to be a nuisance and have no intention of competing, but that must be a tiny number in the scheme of things. 'How am I going to spend my free time each day. I know, I'll spend hours just ruining other people's races with no care about where I place'. If that was their attitude, they'd soon find themselves in the lowest rank races, well away from most on here I'd imagine.

So I think over the coming weeks, we may start to see an improvement in daily races, as the people who were simply bad drivers (hitting cars by accident, not necessarily malicious) or the 'quicker' but thought it was fair game to take others out the race, get more annoyed and frustrated and move on.

Although as we've seen with other stuff, there's a solid chance pd will reverse or significantly ease damage in the next update due to the amount of people complaining.

Perhaps a case of short term pain for long term gain.

Last edited:
OK, I understand your idea a bit better now.
But I think that having heavy damage in the top split(s) only would still be odd because of the way the entry lists are filled.
The "top split" is only the 12, 16 or 20 best times in quali or practice available in the region at the time matchmaking begins.
Given the right conditions, a "top split" could be filled with DR D entries.
So I think it would be difficult to implement in the dailies, maybe a bit more possible in Nations or Manufs.
was just an ideia that i know will not be implemented, in EMEA theres plenty of people playing in other regions i think many "lobbys" have to be filled with lower ranked drivers.

In my opinion was a good thing if it was possible to implement in oficial events.

1. Cause theres the option of permanent damage in the game and its not used...

2. Top split drivers take races more serious and the implementation of permanent damage could give them an extra thing to think about and make them feel a bit more at risk.

Last edited:
B80
So I think over the coming weeks, we may start to see an improvement in daily races, as the people who were simply bad drivers (hitting cars by accident, not necessarily malicious) or the 'quicker' but thought it was fair game to take others out the race, get more annoyed and frustrated and move on.

Although as we've seen with other stuff, there's a solid chance pd will reverse or significantly ease damage in the next update due to the amount of people complaining.

Perhaps a case of short term pain for long term gain.
Unfortunately, trolls will always exist in competitive multiplayer games and even cooperative ones to be honest. ....then you simply have those who are just bad sports who either intentionally take action against others for various reasons or just want to win at all costs.

These types of people will never go away and yeah, maybe the revised damage model will help over time and/or make racing even cleaner at higher ranks. I guess we'll have to see but to be honest, it only takes one griefer in the crowd to ruin the fun and it's really the big reason I don't play the PvP aspect of most games (against randoms) including GT7.

I really hope they don't dumb down the damage though. Personally, I think it's a welcome change at least in solo play and would even prefer something more unforgiving.

Last edited:
It's all fun and games until YOU get hit by someone, that impact makes you go off road and touch the guardrail or even worse, you kiss the wall, damaging your engine and ruining your entire race, since you lose like 5-10 positions.

And that person who caused the incident doesn't even get a penalty, nor does he get significant damage that would slow his car down.

Oh yeah I love it. So much justice going on now...especially this week in Race B, Dragon Trail reverse...

Last edited:
Unfortunately, trolls will always exist in competitive multiplayer games and even cooperative ones to be honest. ....then you simply have those who are just bad sports who either intentionally take action against others for various reasons or just want to win at all costs.

These types of people will never go away and yeah, maybe the revised damage model will help over time and/or make racing even cleaner at higher ranks. I guess we'll have to see but to be honest, it only takes one griefer in the crowd to ruin the fun and it's really the big reason I don't play the PvP aspect of most games (against randoms) including GT7.

I really hope they don't dumb down the damage though. Personally, I think it's a welcome change at least in solo play and would even prefer something more unforgiving.

YEs agree.

I haven;t had chance to properly play the game past month or so (school holidays, work etc..), but looking forward to giving it a go and seeing what its like for myself. Did get chance to do odd time trial for a few laps on some random track and did clock that car didn;t pick up damage when I hit the wall... not crazy hard, but certainly hard enough to of caused damage I'd have thought, going by the tone of what people are suggesting this new 'sensitive damage' is like. Maybe it doesn;t apply in trial mountain lapping by yourself???

Will certainly make people engage their brain, excercise caution in single player, rather than smashing past cars on bends or using them as brakes!

This is just peak PD.... overcompensating for the broken Penalty system they ported from GT Sport but didn't figure out how to "fix" it yet

Who asked for this over-sensitive damage update? There's a lot more things they can do instead of this

Last edited:
Moved on to iRacing and it’s got a brilliant penalty system. Just thought I’d pop into some of my old posts here as if I was reading an old diary. Don’t miss GT7 one bit. Racing with respectful drivers is so amazing, so addicting, so satisfying! Come on over to iracing and enjoy racing again.

Back