LSD differential [Initial Torque], any explanation on what its or how it work ?

• Thread starter ekhlious
  • 4 comments
United States
United States
I know what L.S.D is and I understand how it works but this specific attribute[Initial Torque] I don't get it I tried google it but still doesn't understand it, any help is appreciated thanks

I'm a bit late to the party guys, but here goes anyway:

In real life, in clutch-type LSDs, there is a spring which presses the clutches together, even if no Accel or Decel ramp is currently activated. This makes the LSD act as "locked" initially but it can be made to slip by applying different torques to the wheels. The clutches can only grip so much under spring pressure, obviously a bigger spring means more pressure and therefore clutch grip. It is sometimes called breakaway torque. Imagine jacking up your drive wheels, engine off and in neutral, immobilising one wheel by chocking it, then trying to turn the other wheel. It wont move until you press hard enough, and this is the "breakaway torque" or "initial torque" (IT). It would usually be quoted in Newton metres (Nm) (or foot pounds in Imperial), but.....

In GT it is a percentage. The same as the Accel and Decel settings, also percentages. I strongly suspect these all to be "percentage lock" but this is a guess (I didn't code the game so no way to know for sure). Higher percent means a stronger lock. For example if you have an arbitrary 100% of torque going into the diff, the diff can send a max of 80% Tq to the wheel with more grip, and a minimum of 20% Tq to the wheel with poor grip, the difference being (80-20) = 60% lock, 60% torque difference. The reason I think it works this way is that "percent lock" is used this way in some real life LSD documents.

In game, the difference between Accel (or Decel) and Initial Torque is important. If you use a high Accel (say, 40% or more), and leave IT at 5%, the LSD will have different behaviours when off throttle (IT setting 5% used), and on throttle (Accel setting 40% used). This can give a noticeable change in handling when pressing the throttle, particularly when exiting a corner. If the change is too extreme for you then raise the IT a little to make it closer to the Accel setting and re test. In a way, you could say that the IT is a "mid-corner" setting and the Accel is obviously the "corner exit" setting.

Practically
i) In a long corner, periodically pressing then releasing the throttle will let you feel what happens. Tsukuba final corner is where I usually go to test.

ii) It is my current belief that a high IT will override a low Accel setting in GTS, but some people (in GT6 at least) think the settings add (so when accelerating IT 5 + Accel 10 = 15 overall lock)

I usually leave the IT quite low, but then I usually use quite low Accel settings in the first place. I tend to balance my mid-corner handling with suspension settings before adding an LSD, so I don't need the IT to do anything really, unless the transition to throttle is feeling horrible.

Back