Mac K Photography *Racing and Panning Shots*

• Thread starter Mac K
  • 91 comments
Canada
Ontario,Canada
macospet1
My What?
I'm an amateur photographer and I currently use a Nikon D5000 that I got last year for Christmas. What do you guys think? Feel free to check out my Flickr photostream as well. I'm not sure what the image size rules are here so I'll post them up in Medium size.
5203034828_b99b1302dd_z.jpg

5171006262_1decd9ba2c_z.jpg

5155400588_147d4717d1_z.jpg

5105435071_6b88f83d7f_z.jpg

4946793217_de126ef960_z.jpg

4943397603_a15e21b121_z.jpg

4923587539_fc38671026_z.jpg

More to come if there is a demand..

Haha, you've been to a lot of the same places I've been this year, I see. (Except Ken Lingenfelter's Garage - which looks absolutely brilliant). Gumball, Mosport...even the Zoo. I'll probably catch you at Mosport next year: which also reminds me that I should actually finish that ALMS set.

Awesome gallery. 👍 Love the tiger shots. Helmet B&W is nice also. Rest are great!

Nostalgia #2 by Mac K Photography, on Flickr

Nostalgia by Mac K Photography, on Flickr

Dark Horse by Mac K Photography, on Flickr

Not so sure I like this shot,

Candy Wrapper by Mac K Photography, on Flickr

Instant Classics by Mac K Photography, on Flickr

Handy tip to all my fellow photographers out there, don't use Windows live or the defualt picture viewer to view your shots, it actually makes your photo look bad, use ViewNX(If you shoot with Nikon) and your pictures we'll look a lot better.. I noticed that today, I was looking through my edited shots with the default picture viewer on my computer and I thought "these can't actually look this bad" so I opened them in ViewNX and they looked much better, needless to say, I breathed a sigh of relief :P

Last edited:
You've got the panning down quite nice. I would suggest trying some different angles and framing now. Go wide and get the scenery in as well in you panned shots or try zooming in to get a partial of the car and from some different angles. Some really nice work 👍

Thank you, I'm actually heading to a NASCAR/Grand-AM race this weekend so I'll take your advice and try my best. I was actually quite happy with my shots that I've been posting recently, they're all from a American Le Mans series race at Mosport(track here in Canada) and I was quite pleased with my panning this year, I came home with only one decent panning shot last year and that one was on par with my worst from this year:P

Panning is pretty tricky thing to master, but you've done really well with it. Look forward to see some carnage NASCAR shots.

Wow. Awesome shots... very clean! I'm heading to a time attack race day @ Zandvoort in a couple weeks... Going to try my luck at panning there as well :D

I have some similar racing work here, and earlier in that thread.

My pics seem a little "flatter" than yours, and I'm not sure if it's not because of my monitor at home, or if it's because the D50's sensor sucks. They look great at home, then I get to work and bring them up and they look a bit dull. I'm still working on the smooth panning, but to get the motion I want I use a fairly long shutter, 1/125, even 1/60, which at 200mm is an eternity. I don't have the best lenses, either, just the kit lenses the camera came with (18-55 and 55-200.) Saving for the 70-300 ED VR lens from Nikon, which is at the top end of what I can spend on glass, and I've replaced the D50 with a D5000, but haven't been to anything with it, yet.

Regardless, I enjoyed perusing your pics. That Muscle Milk Aston sounds incredible, doesn't it? And the camera can't do justice to the green of the Tequila Patron Ferraris, either. That green hurts in real life!

Your pics have much more saturation, to my eye maybe too much, and they have a lower luminosity. I'll play with that with my pics, as soon as I get some to play with. (Thinking about Petit LeMans, and in Novemeber will take in the Blue Angels homecoming air show in nearby Pensacola.)

Last edited:
It's crazy how being somewhere in person shows how different things look than on TV. Never realized those esse's (sp?) were on such a steep hill.

Awesome gallery. I like the Lines of Beauty shot of the Corvette C3, and also Life is Great. Sleep is better shot of the Tiger. :drool: 👍

Thank you. I'm heading back to Watkins Glen next weekend, I leave this Friday and I'll be there for the Vintage Races and Classic Grand Prix, so expect lots of shots of everything from race cars form the 1920s, all the way up to older LMP cars and Trans Am cars. For now I just have one of this epic September sunset I took this evening, enjoy.

End Of The Summer by Mac K Photography, on Flickr

Back