Maintaining DR rating

• Thread starter MattWang
  • 11 comments
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Not sure if this has been covered or not, so if it has please close/remove.

I’ve finally got some consistency, and have a DR rating of C and creeping towards B. However what is the best approach when I make a mistake/punted off etc. I had it the other day, started 3rd got punted off at the first corner, dropped to last and was so far behind. So I finished last, and my DR points too a big hit.

Am I better off quitting? Trying to get a fastest lap? Or just complete the race?

...dropped to last and was so far behind.

When you say that, do you mean so far behind the lead group with little chance of a good result or so far behind the person in front you'll be racing alone? If it's the latter, I can understand quitting (bigger DR hit) but the former means you've still got a race on...of sorts. You're still going to take a small DR hit but you also qualified quicker than those at the back. Why not have a bit of fun running a recovery race? They're great practice and you can also try and limit DR damage.

(Don't sacrifice SR if it's that sort of race though. You don't want to risk a reset.)

I've quit races for various reasons. I say don't. Ever.

If possible best option I think is to finish the race, maintain SR so you can try to make up the DR next race.

Some would recommend dropping SR to get lower match ups. It depends on how you approach it. If you are confident you can get a fast qualifying time, the lower SR races will be easier. If like me, you have no hope of a fast qualifying time, the higher SR races tend to be cleaner and thus easier rear to mid pack.

I've quit on ovals before because in those race you get lapped and if too far back, you're just in the way. For these in the future I am going to try to pit and pause till the race is over. And see if that works better.

Never quit. Even if you finish last you will still get some DR from other quitters! Quitting also costs 5 SR.
A fastest lap is fun to set, it won't give you any DR though.

The only time quitting is beneficial is when you're trying to get the 15 consecutive clean races badge/thingie. Quitting preserves your clean race streak. So if you're close and think you lost the clean race bonus, you can always quit to try again.

@O604 You can sit in the pit as long as you want (don't select anything) and you will still gain DR from others that DNF.

One deciding factor can be the room itself. Quitting in a room where everyone has higher DR than you won't cost you that much. Quitting in a room where you are the big cheese costs a lot.

Thanks for asking this question. I recently started mid pack, got hammered by someone in the Southern Hemisphere and was last. As I tried to make my way back through the pack the back markers, also from the Southern Hemisphere! Kept smacking into me when I got beside them.

So, I guess it’s bad for DR to quit before the race even starts if you see certain flags?

Thanks for asking this question. I recently started mid pack, got hammered by someone in the Southern Hemisphere and was last. As I tried to make my way back through the pack the back markers, also from the Southern Hemisphere! Kept smacking into me when I got beside them.

So, I guess it’s bad for DR to quit before the race even starts if you see certain flags?

There sure are some rotten bush tomatoes in Australia :lol:

You can leave matchmaking before you enter the lobby and you won't lose DR/SR. You have to either close or suspend GTS while it's loading the track / waiting for other players. As soon as you enter the lobby, you have also entered your DR. That also means that any disconnects that happen after everyone is in the room will give you DR.

When you say that, do you mean so far behind the lead group with little chance of a good result or so far behind the person in front you'll be racing alone? If it's the latter, I can understand quitting (bigger DR hit) but the former means you've still got a race on...of sorts. You're still going to take a small DR hit but you also qualified quicker than those at the back. Why not have a bit of fun running a recovery race? They're great practice and you can also try and limit DR damage.

(Don't sacrifice SR if it's that sort of race though. You don't want to risk a reset.)
Yeah, when you’re so far behind and have no chance of catching up. Last week race A and being over 15 seconds behind 2nd last place after being punted off twice

it's always worth continuing on. someone else can always also have an accident. additionally, it's worth the practice.

quitting just places you last but you don't see it.

Your rank seems to be important to you so finishing the race will at least limit the damage to your DR. As others have said, people often drop out or end up deep in the kitty litter as well.

If it's one of the daily's with weak boost or slipstream on, definitely stick at it.

Back