Major League Baseball: 2011 Thread

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 770 comments
Taking a job that pays more isn't being selfish.

Please... :rolleyes: He's made $10M a year for several years to play the game he loves. It's not like he's a guy going from $30k to $75k working at a trash job just to provide for his family.

Any of you want to share your memories of Jorge Posada, as he officially retired today?

Please... :rolleyes: He's made $10M a year for several years to play the game he loves. It's not like he's a guy going from $30k to $75k working at a trash job just to provide for his family.

He had a super team friendly contract, the team was earning 3-4 times as much as they were paying him. Whats wrong with asking for more? Nothing. Were talking about billionaires paying these guys a couple million more. Most of these owners are greedy as hell. Look at teams like the A's and Pirates. Prime examples of owner greed.

Posada had a good career but nothing more really.

Yep Posada had the good fortune of being on great teams. Not that he was he weak link but never was he a standout to me. Plus he played for the Yankees... I'm not a Yankee fan.

Lincecum was reported to have signed a year ~40 million extension today. I didn't hear if that was rumored or it was a done deal or not though.

Oh and how can you blame Pujols for leaving for more money? You can't be serious.

Last edited:
So the Tigers signed Prince Fielder today for 214 million over 9 years I believe. Did not see that coming. Now Tiger fans have even more reason to look forward to spring training and next season. I can't wait.

There was an article or two today that showed the risk that Detroit was taking by signing Fielder for that long and for that much money. Apparently first basemen/dh of his height and size begin to deteriorate at the age of 33 or so. If that holds true in Fielder's case then the Tigers have 5 years to win big. Another article addressed the subject of what the Tigers will do when Martinez comes back next year. Talked about moving Cabrera back to third and platooning Fielder/Martinez at first/dh. Idk but that seems like a good problem to have to me. As a Brandon Inge fan, I will be sad that if this means he will be cut or traded. He's been my Tiger for a long time.

If they expect him to play the way he does now for 9 years.... :lol:

With long term contracts no team expects the player to play the way they do in their prime for that long. But he is only 27, its not a stretch to think a player of his caliber can be still be very good into the mid 30's. Also Fielder isn't as big as people like to make out, remember he wears his uniform really baggy.

I'm kind of surprised they went out and spent the money though, as they are one of the 7 teams that are going to pay for in the near future or are paying for it now.

Both of those players will be fine. They'll just become DH's when their bodies start to go. Plus, Prince Fielder in a Tigers uniform is just epic.

I do have to agree that them signing 10/9 year deals on AL teams is perfect. Fielder will be 36 when his expires. If he stays healthy and productive he could easily get another 5 year deal after that.

He had a super team friendly contract, the team was earning 3-4 times as much as they were paying him. Whats wrong with asking for more? Nothing. Were talking about billionaires paying these guys a couple million more. Most of these owners are greedy as hell. Look at teams like the A's and Pirates. Prime examples of owner greed.

Posada had a good career but nothing more really.

This. Any time people grumble about athletes being greedy and overpaid, all I think is that while they definitely do get paid pretty insane amounts, I'd still rather see an amazing talent like Fielder or Pujols making that money instead of a billionaire owner.

Prince Fielder will be a beast for the next decade unless he turns into David Wells. All he has to do is lose weight over a winter and nobody would make such a fuss any longer.

I do have to agree that them signing 10/9 year deals on AL teams is perfect. Fielder will be 36 when his expires. If he stays healthy and productive he could easily get another 5 year deal after that.

Fielder also is a workhorse, has been so far throughout his career. Talk about big guys look at Ortiz he is still performing. It helps being in that ballpark though. Cabrera/Fielder is filthy.

In other news the Giants signed Ryan Theriot for 1.something million... Something we needed, utility depth but the mighty Frenchmen are once again reunited!! Fontenot and Theriot played at LSU together, then Chicago.. Now here! UNSTOPPABLE! Sorry, I know the Dodgers had a monopoly of old utility middle infielders going on, but did you really think you were going to get Theriot again? Tsk Tsk Colletti, you just got out Sabeaned.

Though you guys still have Uribe.. He scares the crap out of me.

ny_u_reyes_b2_576.jpg

Lol. He looks a lot more hispanic now.

Prince Fielder will be a beast for the next decade unless he turns into David Wells. All he has to do is lose weight over a winter and nobody would make such a fuss any longer.

I think people are more afraid that he will become his father.

In other news the Giants signed Ryan Theriot for 1.something million... Something we needed, utility depth but the mighty Frenchmen are once again reunited!! Fontenot and Theriot played at LSU together, then Chicago.. Now here! UNSTOPPABLE!

The Silent T Infield.

Sorry, I know the Dodgers had a monopoly of old utility middle infielders going on, but did you really think you were going to get Theriot again? Tsk Tsk Colletti, you just got out Sabeaned.

I'm glad. I have zero interest in him coming back to the Dodgers.

Though you guys still have Uribe.. He scares the crap out of me.

Uribe scares the crap out of me as well. He needs to have a big comeback year. So far his time in Los Angeles has been awful.

Back