Major League Baseball: 2014-2015 Off-Season and Spring Training

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 67 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking of the Cubs...
Cubs legend Ernie Banks has died

CHICAGO — Cubs legend Ernie Banks has died at Northwestern Memorial Hospital in Chicago, according to a Cubs source. “Mr. Cub” was 83 years old.

Cubs Chairman Tom Ricketts released the following statement Friday night:

“Words cannot express how important Ernie Banks will always be to the Chicago Cubs, the city of Chicago and Major League Baseball. He was one of the greatest players of all time. He was a pioneer in the major leagues. And and more importantly, he was the warmest and most sincere person I’ve ever known. Approachable, ever optimistic and kind hearted, Ernie Banks is and always will be Mr. Cub. My family and I grieve the loss of such a great and good-hearted man, but we look forward to celebrating Ernie’s life in the days ahead.”
[Source]

MARLINS GOT ICHIRO. I'm so happy. Always wanted to see Ichiro in person.

Small market teams aren't going to have a chance. Being a Reds fan, thank goodness this plan won't go into affect (if it ever does) for a few years.

However, I believe Manfred has shown more interest in the possibility of reinstating Pete Rose than previous commishes. Still a long as hell shot, but Cincy fans would appreciate it.

The league and the union have announced changes to the rules to quicken the pace of the game. The Rundown:

- Managers must now challenge plays from the dugout instead of the field. This should eliminate the on the field delays that were taking place in 2014 when the managers took the field to talk to the umpires while the team video staff review the tape of the previous play to see if it would be challengeable.

- Batters must keep one foot in the batters box at all times, unless an established exception occurs. It is not clear how many of those exceptions are available, but during testing in the 2014 Arizona Fall league, those exceptions include, foul balls, foul tips, time being granted by the umpire, and wild pitches.

- Play will resume promptly once television coverage comes back from commercials.

- Timed pitching changes.

Penalties for violations will be fines, and not balls and strikes. The idea is to change players habits.

MLB also announced changes to its replay system, allowing managers to continue keeping their challenge for each overturned call. In 2014, Managers would have lost their challenge if they challenge a second time if their first was successful. In addition, Managers would have two challenges per post season game, regular season tie-breaker, and all-star games.

With teams attending Spring Training, this is a chance for us to get to see teams compete and warm up their current and new players. This is also a chance to maybe generate some conversation and get some thoughts on all the teams before the Opening Day game on April 5 with the St. Louis Cardinals at the Chicago Cubs. The first series for my Astros will be at home against the Cleveland Indians on April 6.

If you want to discuss this new season or start some conversation, feel free to do so. Heck, I'll even try to ask some of you all how you feel about your team(s). You surely can get my thoughts on my Astros if you request. It's time to gear up for a new season of Major League Baseball.

I just saw ESPN's "Around the Horn," and I heard that the Philadelphia Phillies lost to the University of Tampa! Can you believe it? The University of Tampa is an NCAA Division 2 school (non-football school, I believe) whom took on the Phillies. The U. of Tampa Spartans beat the Fightin' Phils 6-2. From what I heard, this is the first time a college/university beat a Major League Baseball team in four years. You can look on Facebook or Twitter or elsewhere for memes on the Phillies losing to the U. of Tampa Spartans.

It's just Spring Training, but I'll be damned if my team loses to a college or university. Then again, it speaks to the level of parity in baseball. Has to be sad if you're a Phillies fan to lose to the University of Tampa.

Just remember- this is all Spring Training. Dress rehearsal. Grooming. Doesn't mean anything towards the regular season. Still- it stinks to lose like this to a team like this. Or as a saying I once read (indirect quote): "winning isn't everything, but losing really sucks."

Well, Phillies fans better hope that that doesn't set the tone for a year of losing. As for me, I'm wondering how the AL Central will pan out this year. On paper, it looks to be a three way fight between the Tigers, Indians, and Royals.

Well, Phillies fans better hope that that doesn't set the tone for a year of losing. As for me, I'm wondering how the AL Central will pan out this year. On paper, it looks to be a three way fight between the Tigers, Indians, and Royals.
The Phillies have maybe a chance to finish 4th in the NL East. The team has become old and poorly run. Howard cannot be moved, Hamels wants out, Papelbon is overpaid.

How do you feel about your Mets this upcoming season, Blitz24? I figured I'd ask you this since you're here.

100% dependent on their hitting. They could be an 85-90 win team if their hitting is more timely. They have one of the most overlooked staffs in baseball. They have 7 starters for 5 spots right now.

Since my local telly won't show pre-season Rangers games (either that, or I just can't find them), I really can't say much about the team heading into the season. Losing Ron Washington with about a third of a season left last year was a critical blow to me in their efforts in futility. But then again, losing all the time speaks of the depth of the AL West.

I know that this year may shape up to be a rebuilding year for a new manager, but I don't mind a bit.

Well, I still think the Texas Rangers are not going to be a doormat. Maybe the Rangers don't have the firepower they used to have, but I don't think they aren't going to be a team to pass over in the AL West. Even as a Houston Astros fan, I'm not going to blow over the Texas Rangers.

Well, I still think the Texas Rangers are not going to be a doormat. Maybe the Rangers don't have the firepower they used to have, but I don't think they aren't going to be a team to pass over in the AL West. Even as a Houston Astros fan, I'm not going to blow over the Texas Rangers.
Like I said, when you had three teams last year in one division fighting over two or three playoff spots, then your division is in a position of strength. Despite losing Prince Fielder early in the season last year, we were pretty much in the chase until Wash resigned. Again, being the fourth best team in the division that had the majority of the teams in it be above .500 is really nothing to sneeze at. I just personally think that this year could be better served as a rebuilding year since they are pretty much under a new system.

Spring Training is well underway today with plenty of games. Recently as of this post, Philadelphia beat the New York Yankees 3-1. Other teams either are in progress or will play shortly. One of the upcoming Spring Training games will be the Cincinnati Reds vs. the Cleveland Indians. Yep- Buckeye State pride on the line.

Good luck to all of your teams during this time of Spring Training.

More Cubbie news: According to the Bleacher Report, the team had considered playing ALL of their home games next season in Milwaukee as construction crews finish phase 1 of Wrigley Field's overhaul. The news comes as the crew fell behind schedule in repairing the foundation of the bleacher section of unexpected cracks. Originally slated to be completed at the start of the season, the unexpected weather has caused the finish date to be pushed back to June at the earliest.

Mayor Rahm Emanuel has refused to grant special permission to the team to allow a round the clock construction crew to finish construction in a reasonable amount of time.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...um=referral&utm_campaign=programming-national

We shipped off Dexter Fowler to the Cubs during the off-season, and I think Fowler will greatly help the Chicago Cubs. He's a solid player from his service to my Astros. I'm sure Cubs fans would absolutely love to have their brutally long futility come to an end. These moves may certainly help the Cubs' cause.

Let me see if I can get some more GTPlaneteers thoughts... AnthonyD1993, you mentioned the AL Central being a three-way fight between the Indians, Royals, and Tigers. How do you feel about your Tigers this season in the AL Central and maybe for this season overall?

I typically don't make predictions until I see some results on the field. However, based off of last season, I'm expecting them to get between 85-90 wins and be a playoff team.

Not expecting much from the Reds. No offense (though players being healthy might help) and 2/5th's of our starting rotation gone (Latos and Simon). I'm hoping the bullpen can pull it back together after last year's disastrous season. Adding Burke Badenhop is a plus.

The first two Spring Training games against the Indians were a 10-0 win and 4-2 loss. Votto still hasn't taken the field. And Homer probably won't be ready for the start of the season.

With the Cards strong every year, the now yearly contending Pirates, Brew Crew which is always a factor, and a significantly improved Cubbie team, the Redlegs could very well finish last in the NL Central this year. At the same time, I could see them finishing as high as 2nd (though unlikely). So many factors will be at play.

Honestly think that M's have a chance of winning the west this year. If they can stay healthy, they got a good shot. If it does come true, I'll be first in line to buy playoff tickets.

I think I'm going to be a Diamondbacks fan.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/12420150/arizona-diamondbacks-offering-churro-dog

mlb_dessert1_600x400.jpg

Texas Rangers Ace Yu Darvish with a sprained UCL and is likely to undergo Tommy John surgery.

How do you feel about the Miami Marlins this season, @Omnis? Can they contend in the NL East (even if for a Wild Card), or is there still a lot of work before the Marlins become any kind of serious threat?

You're asking me? I don't know. But I think if they can stay healthy, they can certainly challenge deep into the playoffs. Stanton at the plate and Fernandez on the mound always gives us a fighting chance.

Texas Rangers Ace Yu Darvish with a sprained UCL and is likely to undergo Tommy John surgery.
He had that issue since last year, to be honest. I don't know the reason why he didn't take the second half of the season last year to have Tommy John surgery.

In other MLB news:

- The A's are without OF Josh Reddick for 4-6 weeks due to an strained oblique. The initial forecast for the injury was two weeks, but now he will miss Opening Day all together.

- Kansas City have come to terms with RHP Chris Young for one year. He will be paid a base salary of $675,000, and with incentives, will max out to $6 million. Young, in his ten seasons with Texas, San Diego, NYM, and Seattle, has a 65-52 record, a 3.77 ERA. He has also won the AL Comeback Player of the Year Award last season after missing most of the 2013 season with thoracic outlet syndrome, and sporting a 12-9 record and a ERA just a tick above 3.6 with Seattle.

Last edited:
Cliff Lee will go and have an MRI. Likely may need to see Dr. James Andrews. His 2015 season is in question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back