• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 986 comments

JohnBM01

20 years!
Premium
United States
Houston, Texas, USA
JMarine25
This is the thread for the 2014 season of Major League Baseball. Of course, this thread involves all the games that matter- not this Spring Training stuff. The boys of Summer will be more than ready and more than willing to battle for 162 games in determining who will be playing for a championship. From "Play Ball" to the final out or a walk-off score, it's time to Play Ball on a new season of Major League Baseball.

So, uh... PLAY BALL!

Atlanta may have signed Ervin Santana, but fears now are that Brandon Beachy AND Kris Medlen will require Tommy John surgery (both AGAIN).

Blitz24, have you any expectations on the New York Mets this upcoming season? Could they win the NL East?

They could if they hit on everything. There is still no player for SS and 1B as Tejada, Davis and Duda have been woeful this spring training. If their SP can mature and the bullpen is effective they could compete for wild card. The NL East is not that strong.

EDIT: Patrick Corbin to have TJ surgery. Jose Iglesias may be out entire year as well.

Last edited:
By the looks of things, the Reds won't be going anywhere this season (and that was most people's gut from lack of offense). And now apparently Chapman got nailed in the head by a line drive today. Great. :indiff:

Still going for the Yankees. Even though wheelchairs aren't easy to roll around the outfield at speed.

By the looks of things, the Reds won't be going anywhere this season (and that was most people's gut from lack of offense). And now apparently Chapman got nailed in the head by a line drive today. Great. :indiff:
I'd be surprised if Cincinnati didn't post a +.500 record. I would be floored if they weren't fighting for the Wildcard.

Still going for the Yankees. Even though wheelchairs aren't easy to roll around the outfield at speed.

Didn't you know? The stadium is built as a bowl. It's downhill from home plate to 1B and down hill from the OF to the infield :dopey:.

No more Choo. No more Bronson. No leadoff or center fielder unless Hamilton actually gets on base. Chapman out until probably late May. Price doesn't think Latos will be ready for the start of the season. And Schumaker, albeit a backup, apparently dislocated his shoulder and will be out for a month. Yep, things looking great for the Reds for the start of the season...:irked:

No more Choo. No more Bronson. No leadoff or center fielder unless Hamilton actually gets on base. Chapman out until probably late May. Price doesn't think Latos will be ready for the start of the season. And Schumaker, albeit a backup, apparently dislocated his shoulder and will be out for a month. Yep, things looking great for the Reds for the start of the season...:irked:
Could be worse. You could be the Mets.

First game of the season saw Kershaw and the Dodgers knock off Miley and the Diamondbacks 3-1. Game two is in 80 minutes from this posting.

**** this Dodger's TV network.

Edit- Jurickson Profar out 10-12 weeks with torn muscle in right shoulder. It's our year!

Last edited:
Not an Indians fan, but, Terry Francona made a decision on a Opening Day slot mid-inning. Right hander Blake Wood was pitching against the Reds, when Francona yanked him for a reveler. However, signs looked promising for the right hander when he asked...

“When I went to take him out, (catcher Luke) Carlin was coming, and I told him to stay back there a little bit,” Francona told FOX Sports. “I went out there and asked (Wood) if he ever made the team on the mound? He was like, no. I go, ‘Well, you just did.’ After that, we came and talked to him (in) the dugout, but you could tell he was pretty excited.”

Wood pitched 106 games with the Royals in 2010 and 2011, but Tommy John surgery sidelined him for 2012. Most of his 2013 season was relegated to the minors for recovery.

The Indians lost that game 5-4.

Weekly Standings: 3/30/14

I'll do this every Sunday before that night's games, however, since this is the start of the season, I figured that I would make an exception.

Not much can be said this week, however, a pair of regular season games was played over the course of the previous week, so I can't deny the need for the standings.

American League

East

Team W-L PCT GB WCGB* L7

Red Sox 0-0 .000 -- -- 0-0
Orioles 0-0 .000 -- -- 0-0
Blue Jays 0-0 .000 -- -- 0-0
Rays 0-0 .000 -- -- 0-0
Yankees 0-0 .000 -- -- 0-0

Central

White Sox 0-0 .000 -- -- 0-0
Indians 0-0 .000 -- -- 0-0
Tigers 0-0 .000 -- -- 0-0
Royals 0-0 .000 -- -- 0-0
Twins 0-0 .000 -- -- 0-0

West

Astros 0-0 .000 -- -- 0-0
Athletics 0-0 .000 -- -- 0-0
Angels 0-0 .000 -- -- 0-0
Mariners 0-0 .000 -- -- 0-0
Rangers 0-0 .000 -- -- 0-0

National League

East

Marlins 0-0 .000 -- -- 0-0
Nationals 0-0 .000 -- -- 0-0
Mets 0-0 .000 -- -- 0-0
Phillies 0-0 .000 -- -- 0-0
Braves 0-0 .000 -- -- 0-0

Central

Cubs 0-0 .000 -- -- 0-0
Reds 0-0 .000 -- -- 0-0
Brewers 0-0 .000 -- -- 0-0
Pirates 0-0 .000 -- -- 0-0
Cardinals 0-0 .000 -- -- 0-0

West
Dodgers 2-0 1.000 -- -- 2-0
Rockies 0-0 .000 1.0 -- 0-0
Giants 0-0 .000 1.0 -- 0-0
Padres 0-0 .000 1.0 -- 0-0
Diamondbacks 0-2 .000 2.0 -- 0-2

*Wild Card Games Back is incalculable at the present time

Last edited:
Mike Olt, former top 50 MLB prospect in Rangers system who struggled with post concussion syndrome/eye issues and was a throw in in the Garza trade due to struggles, has made the Cubs roster as starting 3rd baseman. He had an awesome spring and appears to be back to his old ball mashing ways. Could be a good story for Cubs and be the start of prospects dominoes falling. Javier Baez should be called up by June/July and would shift to second if Olt succeeds.

Unlike the Cabrera deal the Trout signing looks like a great deal for both parties. Smart move by Angels.

Tonight will be the first of many Sunday night matches from here on out with Major League Baseball. We got the Los Angeles Dodgers at the San Diego Padres tonight. San Diego will send Cashner to the bump while Villain's Dodgers will counter with H. Ryu. SoCal swagger is on the line in this NL West clash. Good luck to both teams tonight.

Rangers trail the Phillies 13-8 in the 7th. It has been a sloppy one...Texas pitching has had control issues, giving up 13 runs (11 earned). Defense has been dazed as well.

The good thing in all of this? They lit up Cliff Lee for 8, much to the pleasure of Ranger fans.

And we already have an extra-innings walkoff... courtesy of Neil Walker, with the Pirates beating the Cubs, 1-0 in the 10th.

My only prediction for the Astros is they will finish no worse than 64-98.

Well, the Astros will host the Yankees- the team that swept us to extend our 15-game losing streak. The real long shot is that Houston OVERachieves rather than have their 4th straight 100-loss season.

Congratulations to all winners from today and tonight.

Mets lose after bullpen surrenders 5 runs in the 9th and 10th inning.

JOSE FERNANDEZ PUT A PINGASO ON THE ROCKIES. Fish undefeated!

Surprise! Reds manage a whopping 3 hits and get shut out 1-0 by the Cards. Cueto takes the loss after pitching 7 innings, giving up 3 hits, walking only 1, and striking out 8. Can't stand Molina (though I respect his talent), but it only took his 1 hit to finish us off.

Pitching will keep us in the games this year, but I'm afraid zero offense will do us in. :indiff:

Astros are still undefeated..... they are also winless this year.

Tough day to be a RP.

Texas bullpen had problems, KC couldn't close it out, Oakland just gave up 2 runs in the ninth, Arizona has coughed up a lead, the Mets 'pen imploded.

Anyone see Don Baylor fracture his hip catching the ceremonial first pitch from Vlad Guerrero? Pretty nasty and you could tell immediately that something bad happens. He has a form of cancer that predisposes him to fractures like this.

The start of a new season always tends to bring speculation as to what could be. You never know what will come your way once a new season starts. Even for someone who isn't really a baseball fan, I'm just wondering when my beloved Houston Astros will actually wake up and become relevant again. The Rockets are doing great. All I'm hoping for is the Astros and Texans to get their heads together and keep H-Town relevant. That said, it's Yankees at Astros as the first series of 2014. It was Yankees at Astros to close out last season, and the Yanks swept us last season to extend our current 15-game losing streak. I learned not too long ago that we traded J.D. Martinez.

Tonight will be pretty cool- Alvin boy Nolan Ryan will throw the first pitch while Craig Biggio will catch. And of course, Derek Jeter will have his sort of Farewell tour with this being his final season. We'll see what happens. The Yankees will go with C.C. Sabathia. My Astros will counter with Scott Feldman.

Besides NYY at HOU, here are the other series to kick off Opening Week (pitching match in parentheses):
* Los Angeles Dodgers at San Diego (Z. Grienke vs. I. Kennedy)
* Colorado at Miami (B. Anderson vs. N. Eovaldi)
* Toronto at Tampa Bay (D. Hutchison vs. A. Cobb)
* Philadelphia at Texas (A.J. Burnett vs. M. Perez)
* Atlanta at Milwaukee (A. Wood vs. K. Lohse)
* San Francisco at Arizona (M. Cain vs. W. Miley)
* Seattle at Los Angeles Angels (E. Ramirez vs. C.J. Wilson)
* Cleveland at Oakland (C. Kluber vs. S. Kazmir)

It's a 162-game marathon in Major League Baseball. Hope your team(s) do whatever is possible to become playoff contenders. Then hope they'll be World Series contenders. Then hope they'll WIN the World Series. No matter who your favorite teams and players are, more than ever...

Good luck to all of your team(s) this season.

ASTROS WIN!

It was 6-2 tonight in Houston in favor of the Astros. The long losing streak stemming from this past season ended up being a victory for the Astros. Scott Feldman took the win for HOU while C.C. Sabathia was the losing pitcher for NYY.

Happy to hear the Yankees lost. :D I heard Scott Feldman only allowed two hits through 6.2...very impressive. I remember the last time he started against the Yankees (in a Texas uniform) he got shredded. Hopefully he does good down there in Houston.

Meanwhile, Texas gets their first win of the season in walk-off fashion. Texas pitching was much better than yesterday, only allowing 2 runs for the Phillies. With Shin-Soo Choo on second in the bottom of the 9th, Adrian Beltre hit a single to right-center to win it.

Latest Posts

Back