Major League Baseball: 2017 Season

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 429 comments
Dongers and hits everywhere.
Indeed. I was toggling between yesterday's game and a couple other shows last night. I managed to see all 6 of Toronto's runs (including those massive moonshots), at least 3 crazy, potentially game changing defensive plays made by the Jays, and none of the Reds' runs. Hey, at least I didn't have the misery of watching ex-Red Encarnacion teeing off against us. Lord knows he would have if he was still with the boys from up north.

Indeed. I was toggling between yesterday's game and a couple other shows last night. I managed to see all 6 of Toronto's runs (including those massive moonshots), at least 3 crazy, potentially game changing defensive plays made by the Jays, and none of the Reds' runs. Hey, at least I didn't have the misery of watching ex-Red Encarnacion teeing off against us. Lord knows he would have if he was still with the boys from up north.

Don't worry, we have no-name brand Kendrys Morales to save us (?)

With my Houston Astros off today, I feel it is time to update the standings so far heading into Thursday's games. Where is/are your team(s) right now? Find out below:

--- AMERICAN LEAGUE ---
AL EAST: New York Yankees (30-20), BOS (29-23), BAL (27-24), TB (29-27), TOR (26-27)
AL CENTRAL: Minnesota (26-23), CLE (27-24), DET (25-28), CHW (24-28), KC (22-30)
AL WEST: Houston (38-16), LAA (28-28), TEX (26-28), SEA (25-29), OAK (23-29)
CURRENT AL WILD CARD (best two only): Boston (23-29) and Baltimore (27-24)

--- NATIONAL LEAGUE ---
NL EAST: Washington (33-19), NYM (23-28), ATL (22-29), MIA (21-30), PHI (17-34)
NL CENTRAL: Milwaukee (28-25), STL (25-25), CHC (25-27), CIN (24-28), PIT (24-30)
NL WEST: Los Angeles Dodgers (33-21), COL and ARI (33-22 each), SD and SF (22-33 each)
CURRENT NL WILD CARD (best two only): St. Louis (25-25) and Chicago Cubs (25-27)

There's still a long way to go, so keep playing hard!

He... about to gone. It's being reported that "Hawk" Harrelson, long-time Chicago White Sox commentator, will retire after 18 seasons. I wish him the best in his retirement. We saw last year that the legendary Vin Scully called it a career after 60+ years. Now another famed personality will hang it up.

Thanks for reading, everyone! Good luck to all of your favorite teams moving forward.

[UPDATE] Forgot Kansas City. My apologies! Edits made.

Last edited:
The Reds had no business winning the game tonight against Atlanta. We were down all game (2-0 for good chunk of it) until the Braves blew it by allowing a couple of hits and a game tying wild pitch in the 9th. Mesoraco ended it with a leadoff bomb to left center for the walkoff in 10.

JUST WRAPPED UP...

Edison Volquez of the Miami Marlins threw a No-Hitter in a 3-0 victory against the Arizona Diamondbacks. Ten strikeouts and two walks were issued by Volquez as the Marlins have their sixth No-Hitter in franchise history. So I'm sure Omnis is proud of his Marlins for nailing this No-Hitter.

All other winners from Saturday, congratulations.

Silver Boot action continues. We were done at the Texas Rangers this past weekend. Summary:

GM1 HOU at TEX: 7-1; Houston
GM2 HOU at TEX: 6-5; Houston
GM3 HOU at TEX: 7-2; Houston

The Houston Astros are in Kansas City for a four-game set at the Royals to conclude this road trip. The four-game madness begins tonight. We are 41-16 on the season heading into tonight. Best record in baseball and a huge lead in the AL West.

Good luck to all of your favorite teams, and congratulations to all series winners from the past series.

I cant say I have sat down and watched the Astros play this year but looking at the stats the one issue I see with that team is starting pitching depth. After Keuchel and McCullers there is nobody I would count on to start game 3 of the ALDS/CS/WS.

In Pirates news McCutchen has gone Mr.Baseball and has been spending his time pregame working with Hurdle and HC Jeff Branson rebuilding his swing. Since dropping down to 6th he is slashing .378/.500/.742 1.242 OPS with 3hr 8 RBI in 9 games. Branson was his manager back in A ball in 2006 and was the guy that taught him how to hit.

Scooter Gennett, a player the Reds grabbed off the waiver wire from the Brewers at the beginning of the season, hit 4 home runs tonight. Insane.

I was wanting to give a shout out to John's 'stros too. Maybe the experts were right about 2018.

Somebody must have made fun of Scooter Gennett, and Scooter decided to do something about it. 13-1 demolition of the St. Louis Cardinals in Cincinnati. Wow!

Sadly, my Astros won 11 or 12 straight... and no further. I heard the Astros were up 7-1, but they end up losing 9-7 at Kansas City. That four-game series is now 1-1.

Reds win, Astros lose. Hell froze over?

Congratulations to Tuesday's other winners. Astros unfortunately NOT winners this time around.

Tony Watson's role as closer should be done. In fact, the closer role is overrated. When calling to the bullpen, you should play the matchups. Saves are an overrated and irrelevant stat.

Let me ask a question: If you were an MLB manager, would you insert a middling reliever in high-leverage situations based on a stat and not the result of the game?

Tony Watson's role as closer should be done. In fact, the closer role is overrated. When calling to the bullpen, you should play the matchups. Saves are an overrated and irrelevant stat.

Let me ask a question: If you were an MLB manager, would you insert a middling reliever in high-leverage situations based on a stat and not the result of the game?
Good thing he hired Scott Boras to sell his belt high 86 mph changeup to prospective teams.:rolleyes:

Hurdled again...

If the Tigers could either hit the ball and score runs like the power team they are or just suck, that would be great. Really irritating to watch them put up runs galore one game and then look like the ball is an alien device that should be kept away from instead of hitting it like they are paid to do the next.

Yeah and it pisses me off. The Cardinals bullpen just can't do anything. They end up running their starter to long because of this.

Yeah and it pisses me off. The Cardinals bullpen just can't do anything. They end up running their starter to long because of this.
It's been the opposite for the Reds this year. The bullpen has been great (especially with how much they've been forced to pitch), but the starting rotation atrocious.

Tigers' bullpen looked like they were in their traditional form today. They went back their favorite past time of blowing games or making games that are already hard to win with the score deficit even harder to do.

The Astros' road trip is over. Here's a summary of this four-game set at Kansas City...

* GM1 HOU at KC: 7-3; Houston
* GM2 HOU at KC: 9-7; Kansas City
* GM3 HOU at KC: 7-5; Kansas City
* GM4 HOU at KC: 6-1; Houston

The Astros' 11-game winning streak was snapped on Tuesday, and that would turn into back-to-back losses. At least the Astros can return to Houston on a winning note. We are 43-18 now on the season.

Up next for the Houston Astros... the Houston Astros of Houston will host the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim for a three-game weekend series. Then after that, it's three games in Houston against the Texas Rangers. But first things first- the Angels are coming down to H-Town.

Elsewhere...

* I actually was watching some of the Angels at Tigers game earlier today on MLB Network. LAA was up 5-4 in... I want to say the sixth inning or so. End up winning 11-4 or something like that.

* And I know Dolph Drago must be proud seeing his Cincinnati Reds sweep the St. Louis Cardinals in a four-game set in Cincy. Congrats to the Redlegs.

And also... congratulations to all other winners from today and series winners.

Jameson Taillon has been activated from the DL 5 weeks after cancer surgery and will start Monday. 1st round bust Tyler Glasnow and his 7.45 ERA/ 1.91 WHIP have been sent to AAA Indy. The Bucs are 26-35 and havent had a record this bad since the end of 2011. The stupid thing is they are only 6.5 gb and could still win (they wont) the underperforming NL Central.

The NL Central is pretty bad at the moment. But I have a feeling the Cubs and Cards will eventually go on a roll and start to pull away from the pack like they do every year.

Jameson Taillon has been activated from the DL 5 weeks after cancer surgery and will start Monday. 1st round bust Tyler Glasnow and his 7.45 ERA/ 1.91 WHIP have been sent to AAA Indy. The Bucs are 26-35 and havent had a record this bad since the end of 2011. The stupid thing is they are only 6.5 gb and could still win (they wont) the underperforming NL Central.
The worst part is that most of the games we've won, I counted 12 where the margin was 2 runs or less. 20 of our losses were by 3 runs or more.

They say "a win is a win" but when almost half of them are so close, you can't help but think that we would have an even worse record if it weren't for one of two good at-bats in those games. This situation might have been averted if two of our star players weren't stupid and the team wasn't plagued by injuries (and cancer) earlier in the season (Frazier, Freese, Polanco, and Taillon all saw time on the DL). How can you contend when you have to start guys like Danny Ortiz and Gift Ngoepe regularly? And every single game where the bats get hot, pitching goes cold, and vice versa. I was optimistic about pitching as well, but Kuhl has been inconsistent, Glasnow looks like an absolute dud of a first-rounder, and we all know what happened to Taillon. Cole and Nova have been really good with the exception of a few starts, though as previously stated, the bats turn to ice when our pitching dominates.

We're lucky that our division is 🤬 because without the close pennant race, this team would be done already.

The NL Central is pretty bad at the moment. But I have a feeling the Cubs and Cards will eventually go on a roll and start to pull away from the pack like they do every year.
I don't know about the Cardinals, they are pretty horrible at the moment. I heard a stat the other day on the radio, they've been outscored in the 7th and 8th innings this year, something like 88-37. The bullpen is atrocious.

I'm a Cardinal fan, but I'm not a sheep, there's tons of sheep around here, living close to St. Louis. They do have great fans, but a lot of them are borderline fanboys, to them the Cardinals do no wrong.

I never did think Matheney was a great coach. I didn't like the choice at the time, and even though he's had some success, I still don't. He's a La Rassu( who I always thought was a jackass and highly overrated, he lost a lot more games then he won by his "genius", and should of won more World Series with the teams he's had) clone/wanna be.

The biggest problem with the Cardinals now, is they got super lucky with some low priced players. They won some World Series, and had great success, without going and getting superstars. That's great that that happened, and it seemed like they were picking other teams washed up average players, and they had great runs with them. Some of that's luck I guess, but now they expect that to happen every year, and it just doesn't happen that way usually. Especially with the Cubs spending like they do, the Cards are going to have to spend more to keep up. I'm not talking going out and throwing money around like the Yankees could or did, but they will have to do something.

The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim paid a visit to the Houston Astros for the weekend, and this is what happened...

GM1 LAA at HOU: 9-5; Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim
GM2 LAA at HOU: 2-1; Houston
GM3 LAA at HOU: 12-6; Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim

The Astros are coming back down to earth. We split the 4-game series at Kansas City and lose this series against the Angels. I guess LAA was sick of being owned by the Astros and decided to do something about it. Therefore, we lost this series.

Up next for Houston... the Battle for the Silver Boot continues as the Texas Rangers come on down to H-Town for a three-game set starting on Monday.

Congratulations to all the winners and series winners today.

The Reds continued their storied tradition of never being able to win on the west coast. They blew a 7-3 lead in the 8th to get swept by the Dodgers in LA today.

The Houston Astros are off today, but this is the latest series report as we hosted the Texas Rangers...

GM1 TEX at HOU: 6-1; Texas
GM2 TEX at HOU: 4-2; Texas
GM3 TEX at HOU: 13-2; Houston

So we avoided getting swept by the Rangers. I still think the AL West will be the better of the Texas teams. That is unless the Angels somehow overtake the Rangers in the AL West race.

Up next for the Houston Astros Baseball Club... we host some team called the Boston Red Sox for a weekend series of three games. Oh, and we're 45-22 on the season, still atop the AL West.

Elsewhere...

I saw some of the game last night as the Chicago Cubs were at the New York Mets. First pitch of the game- home run by the Cubs. Next batter up for the Cubbies- another homer. But somehow, the Mets managed to win 9-4 last night after having back-to-back jacks against them by the Cubs. So congrats to the Mets.

Congratulations to all series winners and game winners from today and the past few days.

Nothing new on the Reds' front. 0-6 on the west coast road trip after dropping all three to the Padres following the sweep by the Dodgers.

Alex Avila probably didn't have a great Father's Day with his dad since the Tigers roster Al Avila (his dad and Tigers GM) put together just got slaughtered by the Rays.

Back