Major League Baseball: 2019 Season

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 319 comments
Well, the Reds finally broke through for some runs today, scoring 5 times. Unfortunately, the pitching had its worst performance of the season, leading to yet another 1-run loss in extra innings, 6-5. :banghead:

I'm really shocked at how the Tigers have started this season. I'm not expecting this to last, but its nice to see that the young talent has some promise for future seasons.

I read the Reds' 1-7 start to the 2019 is tied for the worst start in franchise history. Meanwhile, the Detroit Tigers are currently 6-3 after their latest game and 2nd in the AL Central. The Tigers defeated Kansas City 7-4 in MoTown.

We finally have won successive games and even logged our first shutout win of the season. We are also assured our first series win of the season regardless of what happens in the finale of this 3-game set with Oakland. The Houston Astros defeated the visiting Oakland Athletics 6-0 tonight. I'll do my series summary once this series concludes. Possibly rough weather is anticipated here in Houston tomorrow; but thankfully, we play in a ballpark with a retractable roof.

Congratulations to all other winners on today's games, including another win by Blitz24's New York Mets.

Summary time! The Houston Astros had their first home series of the 2019 series as the Oakland Athletics paid a visit to H-Town. So let's discuss what happened in this series...

GM1 OAK at HOU: (3-2; Houston)
GM2 OAK at HOU: (6-0; Houston)
GM3 OAK at HOU: (9-8; Houston)

It took three series, but we finally win a series for once in 2019. Even sweeter in a sweep. The Houston Astros were in an offensive firestorm for Game 3. We won Game 3 on a walk-off walk with the bases loaded and one out in the Bottom of the 9th. A four-pitch walk to José Altuve sealed the deal. Hey- we'll take it. We are now 5-5 on the season, 4th in the AL West.

Next up for the Houston Astros... we welcome some team called the New York Yankees starting tomorrow night for a three-game set. So it's my 'Stros against the Bronx Bombers.

Elsewhere, here is a little rundown of completed games from today...

* The Houston Astros' next opponent is the New York Yankees, so how did the Yanks do today? Oh, they just defeated Baltimore 15-3 in Baltimore. Nothing special. It was a win for Domingo German. BAL's loser was David Hess.

* The Cincinnati Reds are stuck on one win so far this season, and Pittsburgh wasn't going to make things easy. The Reds drop another one, 7-5 at Pittsburgh. Winning for the Buckos was Chris Archer, and the Save went to Richard Rodriguez. Anthony DeSclafani took the loss for CIN. So I guess now this is now OFFICIALLY the worst start to a season for one of the proudest franchises in Major Leage Baseball.

* Cincinnati failed, so how did the other Ohio team do? Barra333's Toronto Blue Jays took a 3-1 defeat to the Indians. Mike Clevinger was CLE's winner along with a save from Brad Hand. The loser for TOR was Marcus Stroman.

* 12-5 was the score in the south side of Chicago as the Seattle Mariners downed the Chicago White Sox. The win went to Wade LeBlanc for SEA while Ivan Nova took the loss for CHW.

* The Detroit Tigers did good again defending home against Kansas City 3-1. The win went to Tyson Ross, and Shane Greene got the Save for the Tigers. Brad Keller got the loss for the Royals.

* The New York Mets lost 12-9 at home to the Washington Nationals. It was Max Scherzer with the win for Blitz24's Mets. The Mets saw Zack Wheeler take the loss.

* In St. Louis, the Padres fell today 4-1 to kolio' Cardinals. STL won with Adam Wainwright and a save from Jordan Hicks. The loser for the Padres was Matt Strahm.

* The Milwaukee Brewers topped the Chicago Cubs 4-2 in Milwaukee. The Brew Crew won with Zach Davies and a save from Josh Hader. The floundering Cubbies saw Kyle Hendricks take the loss.

Congratulations to all recent series winners as well as those who won today/tonight.

[UPDATE] Wrong team for a noted member! Changes made, of course.

Last edited:
The Cincinnati Reds are stuck on one win so far this season, and Pittsburgh wasn't going to make things easy. The Reds drop another one, 7-5 at Pittsburgh. Winning for the Buckos was Chris Archer, and the Save went to Richard Rodriguez. Anthony DeSclafani took the loss for CIN. So I guess now this is now OFFICIALLY the worst start to a season for one of the proudest franchises in Major Leage Baseball.
Another day, another fail. The most interesting thing about this game, though, was the bench clearing brawl. Derek Dietrich, the hero on Opening Day with a clutch home run, hit a mammoth shot to dead center. The ball ended up in the water. Dietrich admired his hit for a lengthy amount of time before finally starting to round the bases. Archer took exception to that, and threw behind Dietrich his next time up (as everyone was expecting). The umpire warned Archer but didn't toss him. This irritated the Reds' manager, David Bell. THEN Puig came out of the dugout and it was on. In all, 5 were ejected including Bell, Puig and Garrett for the Reds, and Kela and Vazquez for the Pirates. Fun times.

* The New York Mets lost 12-9 at home to the Washington Nationals. It was Max Scherzer with the win for Blitz24's Nats. The Mets saw Zack Wheeler take the loss.
When did I start rooting for the Nationals?

Yeah, Dolph Drago, I read something about Yasiel Puig getting into it with somebody. Man. Reds Nation none too happy so far this season.

And sorry, Blitz24. I edited the previous post.

You folks get ready for the next series, whomever your favorite team(s) will clash with next.

So the Tigers are doing good. I did not expect that at all, I mean sure they played the Royals who are probably one of the worst teams in the MLB, but still they beat the Yankees too. Shane Green is a saving machine too with 7 so far, which is pretty impressive.

Also Christin Stewart rakes.

So the Tigers are doing good. I did not expect that at all, I mean sure they played the Royals who are probably one of the worst teams in the MLB, but still they beat the Yankees too. Shane Green is a saving machine too with 7 so far, which is pretty impressive.

Also Christin Stewart rakes.
This being the Tigers bullpen, Greene will get injured soon and the bridge will fall into the Detroit river.

This being the Tigers bullpen, Greene will get injured soon and the bridge will fall into the Detroit river.

I mean you're not wrong. The wheels will fall off the season by the end of May at the latest and the dumpster will catch on fire.

The Blue Jays hitting has been brutal. Setting strikeout records all over the place, and have already been no-hit into the 6th 4 times. Fortunately the starting pitching has actually been pretty good, making the margin of the losses not look as bad. The problem with the starters doing well is that they (Stroman, Sanchez, Shoemaker) will likely get traded. The highly regarded farm system better come through as advertised, or it is going to be a looong 5-10 years until the next crop are ready.

Here's a question:

Which "streak" ends first?

Chris Davis' hitless streak

OR

Trevor Rosenthal's Infinity ERA?

I want Chris Davis to go 56 games without a hit to be the anti-DiMaggio.

I want Chris Davis to go 56 games without a hit to be the anti-DiMaggio.
Tony Bernazard went 57 plate appearances without a hit (he did, obviously get walks) so that will be Davis' target.

I find it interesting that the defending World Champion Red Sox are off to an abysmal start, currently 3-8.

Meanwhile the Phillies are off to one of their best starts ever, currently 6-2.

I find it interesting that the defending World Champion Red Sox are off to an abysmal start, currently 3-8.

Meanwhile the Phillies are off to one of their best starts ever, currently 6-2.
I'm wondering if the Nationals are going to be legitimate. Their bullpen is laughably horrible.

I'm wondering if the Nationals are going to be legitimate. Their bullpen is laughably horrible.

Yeah but it's improving. They only gave up one run in the eighth last night which brought their eighth inning ERA down. Never mind that it turned out to be the winning run.

Another day, another fail. The most interesting thing about this game, though, was the bench clearing brawl. Derek Dietrich, the hero on Opening Day with a clutch home run, hit a mammoth shot to dead center. The ball ended up in the water. Dietrich admired his hit for a lengthy amount of time before finally starting to round the bases. Archer took exception to that, and threw behind Dietrich his next time up (as everyone was expecting). The umpire warned Archer but didn't toss him. This irritated the Reds' manager, David Bell. THEN Puig came out of the dugout and it was on. In all, 5 were ejected including Bell, Puig and Garrett for the Reds, and Kela and Vazquez for the Pirates. Fun times.
In case anyone missed it;

Not unreasonable for the Bucs to be mad over a braggadocious statement like that. The Archer pitch outside of Dietrich was too far; he should've pitched close inside and moved him off the plate. Regardless, the fight + bullpen ejections may have actually helped the Pirates due to the recent struggles of our two strongest bullpen arms, plus a much needed fire inside the team.

After miserable offense game after game, the Reds broke out for 14 (FOURTEEN!) runs tonight against the Fish. Finally have win #2 on the season. Castillo pitched 7 scoreless innings, allowing only 2 hits, with 1 BB and 8 K's. Lorenzen completed the shutout with a 2 hit, 1 BB, 4 K performance the final two innings. Castillo has allowed a grand total of 5 hits in 3 starts with 2 runs allowed.

They showed an interesting stat during the game. The Reds also started 1-8 in 1995 before breaking out for 13 runs in game 10 of that season. They went on to finish that year 85-59 (the final time they made the playoffs until 2010). So there may be hope after all if history were to repeat itself.

Edit: Forgot to mention the Reds hit back-to-back-to-back homers in their 7 run 6th inning.

deGrom is human after all. Gives up 6 ER in 4 IP, ending both his QS and personal start streak of 3 ER or less in a start as the Mets get crushed 14-8. They have given up 26 runs in their past 2 games.

Bright side? 1B Pete Alonso has been worth the wait as he hit 2 HR last night. That's 4 in the past 3 games.

At the start of the season, I did not expect a trip to Fenway to face Sale would the catalyst for the Blue Jays to start scoring runs....

At the start of the season, I did not expect a trip to Fenway to face Sale would the catalyst for the Blue Jays to start scoring runs....
Don't worry, the Blue Jays did not think so either.

Most Blue Jays fans didn't expect them to score runs until the offspring of several former major league players arrive in a couple of weeks.

Most Blue Jays fans didn't expect them to score runs until the offspring of several former major league players arrive in a couple of weeks.
At which point, the current Blue Jay pitchers will acknowledge their arrival by giving up even more runs!

So it's time for the New York Yankees to come on down to H-Town. After disposing of the Oakland Athletics, how did we do against the Bronx Bombers? Find out here with this summary:

GM1 NYY at HOU: (4-3; Houston)
GM2 NYY at HOU: (6-3; Houston)
GM3 NYY at HOU: (8-6; Houston)

For the first time in Astros' history, we swept the New York Yankees. We also are undefeated at home so far this season. 6-0 currently! And... I'm sure the Yanks will return the favor when we go to the Yankees in June for a four-game set. The Yankees plated the first runs in all three games. The Astros had to bounce back all of those times. Also, we were up 7-2 in Game 3 until the Yanks decide to start scoring runs in the Top of the 8th. José Altuve put up two jacks in Game 3 to now have 101 total home runs. All in all, it's great to go perfect at home and improve to 8-5 on the season.

Up next for the Houston Astros Baseball Club... we take Thursday off and start playing some road games against AL West teams. This is a Seattle-Oakland-Arlington trip. Three games at Seattle are coming up starting on Friday night.

Congratulations to today's/tonight's winners as well as recent series winners.

They're on a streak! :lol: The Reds won their 2nd straight game tonight against the Marlins. Only this time, it took them until the 8th inning to score any runs. Two solo home runs that inning were enough to overcome the solo shot hit by Miami earlier in the game. A 1-run victory! Who'd have thunk it? 2-1 was the final.

The Reds will go for the sweep tomorrow before an off day, then to Monterrey, Mexico for a couple "home" games against the Cards.

Reds swept away the Marlins. Meanwhile last night, the Mets won a game scoring 9 runs on 5 hits, which is a bit ridiculous. They scored 6 of the runs on just 2 hits (the first hit resulted in a base runner thrown out on a wild pitch). They walked 6 times in the 5th inning. They face the Braves tonight.

The Braves managed to get their All-Star 2B Oscar Albies extended on a stupidly cheap 7 years for $35 million contract.

Reds swept away the Marlins.
The question is...are the Reds finally doing what they should be doing? Or are the Marlins just that bad? Anyway, it was another shutout pitched by the club. They only gave up single run over the entire 3 game series, the first time they've achieved that feat since 1926 against the Brooklyn Dodgers! And they still shut out the Marlins despite Sonny Gray getting drilled in the leg by a line drive in the 2nd. He managed to make it through 4 innings before exiting with a stiff calf. The bullpen picked up the slack no problem. Hopefully Gray will be okay.

Oh, by the way...the Reds' starting rotation has the lowest ERA in the National League. It shows just how bad the hitting was to have the record they do. It also shows how impressive the pitching has been despite Alex Wood (who was probably going to be the #1 starter) not having made a start this year, sitting with an back injury.

Back