Major League Baseball: 2024 Season

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 71 comments
Shohei Ohtani made his Spring Training debut for the Los Angeles Dodgers, and he launched a 2-run jack. It's Sho-time in Los Angeles... but with the other Los Angeles MLB team.

Josh Donaldson announced his retirement after 13 seasons of service in the MLB. He's been around the block before in lots of games for a number of franchises. I wish Josh Donaldson well in his retirement.

I know it's very hard to feel sorry for the Yankees and our 300 million dollar team, but we may lose our ace for god knows how long (could be 2 years if he needs TJ) and Judge is already banged up - in spring training!

At least we have Soto for a while.

I know it's very hard to feel sorry for the Yankees and our 300 million dollar team, but we may lose our ace for god knows how long (could be 2 years if he needs TJ) and Judge is already banged up - in spring training!

At least we have Soto for a while.
It is not hard to feel sorry for the Yankees 🤣. Ever since Hal Steinbrenner took over they haven't been about winning any chips IMO. He's happy to make the playoffs every year. The Yankees haven't won anything since 2009. They are the Dallas cowboys of MLB.
I feel like the Dodgers are how the Yankees used to be😞. I wish they would fire GM for life Brian Cashman and get someone new in there.

Well it looks like Garrett Cole is going to be out 1-2 months. I wish the Yanks had went after Snell now

kjb
Well it looks like Garrett Cole is going to be out 1-2 months. I wish the Yanks had went after Snell now
2-3 months is extremely optimistic.
Based on how it usually goes he'll spend half the season rehabbing and then in the end have the surgery that was inevitable from the start, with an 18 month recovery time. See you in 2026 Gerrit!

In Cincinnati news, Joey Votto is a Red no more and now finds himself in Toronto. I would have loved to see him retire in Cincy, but I'm sure he'll be happy playing out his twilight year(s) in his hometown. He is the best Cincinnati Red I've had the pleasure to watch in my life, and I wish him well as a Blue Jay. Also, Noelvi Marte has been suspended 80 games for PED's. It's a good thing we have plenty of infield depth and several players that can play multiple positions.

I'm pretty excited for this season after seeing what the youngsters did last year. Hopefully they are as fun to watch.

The MLB Seoul Series begins tomorrow. Both games will be aired nationally on ESPN starting at 6:00 AM Eastern Time from Seoul, South Korea. Game 1 of the Seoul Series is LAD Dodgers at SD Padres (PITCHING: Glasnow vs. Darvish). Game 2 of the Seoul Series is SD Padres at LAD Dodgers (PITCHING: Musgrove vs. Yamamoto).

If you'll be awake to see these two Spring Training games, enjoy the action!

Are you ready, GTPlaneteers? The last of the Spring Training games are wrapping up this week. Thursday is when Opening Day is the first regular season "PLAY BALL" of the season. When the first series of Opening Day get underway, the following matches will be played on Thursday. Find your favorite team(s):

• MIL Brewers at NYM Mets
  • LAA Angels at BAL Orioles
  • ATL Braves at PHI Phillies
  • DET Tigers at CHW White Sox
  • MIN Twins at KC Royals
  • NYY Yankees at HOU Astros
  • PIT Pirates at MIA Marlins
  • SF Giants at SD Padres
  • STL Cardinals at LAD Dodgers
  • TOR Blue Jays at TB Rays
  • WAS Nationals at CIN Reds
  • CHC Cubs at TEX Rangers <<< TEX defending AL Champions and League Champions
  • CLE Guardians at OAK Athletics
  • BOS Red Sox at SEA Mariners
  • COL Rockies at ARI Diamondbacks <<< ARI defending NL Champions

Get hyped, GTPlanet! We PLAY BALL this Thursday to start the 2024 season!

Is there any option to watch MLB condensed/highlights/week in review or similar on youtube or free broadcast?

thanks

Opening Day! Let's go Yankees! But why did it have to be the Astros?

Cauiously optimistic for this year. Soto is a huge upgarde, Stanton looks better than the last couple of years but the team is still oldish and injury prone. Offence will have to carry things, the pitching is a bit dodgy and Cole will miss a couple of months.

Hopefully a good season around the league and not too much off-field drama - other than the gambling man in LA, that story is hilarious. Let's see how MLB tries to sweep it under the carpet to protect their golden boy.

MLB Opening Day for 2024 is today. Let's get it! You all are free to discuss the games all season long whether individual games or series summaries. I prefer summaries just to keep everything together and not post too much. Do as you like, though.

So, uh...

PLAY BALL!!!

The 2024 MLB season is GO! Every game except the All-Star Game matters towards who will hoist the Commissioner's Trophy at season's end. Or, if the Texas Rangers can repeat as Champions.

The Houston Astros' 2024 campaign begins with a four-game set in Houston hosting the New York Yankees. Let's get it!

* NYY Yankees at HOU Astros (4 games)

[GAME 1] It was a partly cloudy afternoon in Houston, Texas, USA as the Astros began their 2024 campaign. They are looking to be relentless, which is their mantra this season. The Houston Astros went up 3-0 after one inning. They added another run on a solo home run in the Bottom of the 2nd. The Yankees finally lit their side of the scoreboard in the Top of the 5th on a bases loaded hit to make it 4-1. A hit-by-pitch that same inning led to the Astros' lead being truncated to 4-2, and then one more run brought the Astros lead down to one. The unanswered runs extended to four thanks to a solo jack to right in the Top of the 6th. Astros' 4-0 lead is now a 4-4 tie. That tie then became a 5-4 Yankees' lead in the Top of the 7th on a Sacrifice Fly with one out. So far, so bad for Houston. Joe Espada will not get his first win as the Astros' coach in this game on this day.
(5-4; New York Yankees)

[GAME 2] AppleTV or somebody got their greedy hands on this game, so I have no recollection of what happened unless I listened on radio. So I can only give out a final score to this game. It was 1-0, Astros. Since... 7 unanswered by the Yanks.
(7-1; New York Yankees)

[GAME 3] Houston can't keep a lead so far this season. Will they finally hold after Mauricio Dubon bangs one to deep right to bring home two Astros in the Bottom of the 2nd? The Yankees took the Astros' lead from 2-0 to 2-1 on a wildly hopped ball to right in the Top of the 3rd. An error by the Yankees on a routine double play let the Astros go up 3-1 in the Bottom of the 5th. Oswaldo Cabrera bangs in a two-run jack to right to tie the game at 3-3 in the Top of the 7th. Juan Soto bombs one to deep left to put the Yankees up 4-3 the same inning. He was an Astros killer in the 2019 World Series, and he did equal damage wearing Yankees colors. Anthony Volpe bangs a homer to left to put the Yanks up 5-3 in the Top of the 8th. Astros still winless so far this season.
(5-3; New York Yankees)

[GAME 4] I didn't get to see this game, but the end result is surely not what Astros fans were hoping for.
(4-3; New York Yankees)

NEXT: vs. TOR Blue Jays (3 games, starting Monday)

That's right- one series played, SWEPT. Houston starts 2024 0-4 after this series. The "Relentless" Astros of this season are looking nothing like the Astros of 2017-2023 so far. They'd better figure things out quickly. Otherwise, the run of success for the Astros may come to an end this season.

Last I checked, the Houston Astros, Chicago White Sox, and Miami Marlins are the only teams that have not won yet this season.

We're off and running on a new season. Congratulations to all series winners so far!

A recap of Cincinnati's first series of the year facing the Nats:

Game 1: Frankie Montas pitched very well in his Reds' debut - 6 innings, 4 hit, 4 K, 0 BB shutout. Two relievers, also new to the club, finished out the game. Emilio Pagan had one bad pitch that resulted in the ball going over the fence for 2 runs. Brent Suter closed it out with 2 innings of clean, no hit, 4 strikeout ball. On the offense, it was a day for journeyman Nick Martini. His first two at-bats resulted in 2 dingers and 5 RBI's. He became only the third player in franchise history to hit multiple homers on Opening Day. The Redlegs cruised to an 8-2 win.
Game 2: Hunter Greene made the start which turned out to be a tough one. He couldn't make it out of the 5th inning as his pitch count added up, but he limited the damage to only 2 runs. The Reds again put some runs on the board - 6 of them to be exact. But the bullpen had an uncharacteristically bad day, all the way down to All-Star closer Alexis Diaz. Cincy was still on track to win going into the 9th inning, but Diaz gave up 3 runs while only recording 1 out. I will say that the umpire was not doing him any favors. He walked the first batter on 4 pitches, though two of them were very borderline and could have been called strikes. Anyway, the Reds could not bounce back and lost by a single run.
Game 3: Another new face, Nick Martinez (not to be confused with fellow teammate Nick Martini mentioned above), had a so-so outing on the mound. 5 innings, 3 runs. Cincinnati put many runners on base throughout the game but struggled to bring them in while hitting into back breaking double plays. The game was tied at 3 apiece until Washington added runs in the 7th and 8th. It looked bleak when Jonathan India came up to the plate with the team down by 2 runs with 2 outs and 0 runners on. The win probability according to whatever stats mlb.com uses had it at 1.4%. But India put up one heck of a fight, fouling off ball after ball on a full count, until he doubled one down the 3rd base line on the 10th pitch of the at-bat. The game was tied one pitch later as Will Benson blasted off to dead center. Two pitches later, the men wearing the Red socks were at home plate waiting in anticipation for Christian Encarnacion-Strand to round the bases as CES absolutely smashed a pitch into the left field stands for the walk off.

Game 1: 8-2 Cincinnati
Game 2: 7-6 Washington
Game 3: 6-5 Cincinnati

A good start to the season, though I failed to mention a couple of downers before the opener, notably the injuries. TJ Friedl fractured his wrist in Spring Training and Matt McLain had shoulder surgery. Timelines to come back are unknown. Nick Lodolo started the season in Triple A Louisville to make a rehab start. He is expected back either the upcoming series or following.

Last edited:
@JohnBM01 how are you feeling about the Astros this year? I knew they got swept by my Yankees but right now to me they don't seem like the juggernaut they used the last couple of seasons. For me I like what I have seen Soto to me he was the difference in the series. It's still very early so we won't really know what either team is until about July

Some "sports expert" noted that the Houston Astros are heading down a slow, systematic decline. The 2022 Houston Astros have been powerful. Last year's team was more fortunate and lucky than powerful. You can't make the Playoffs in March or April. You can't win the World Series in March or April. If the Astros continue to lose with regularity at this point, the run of success may finally end in Houston.

Now let's be fair for a moment. The Houston Astros aren't playing against a bunch of tomato cans. They're playing the New York Yankees. Houston can win; but so far this season, they can't finish. You hate it in baseball when you're winning only to let relief pitching or late play let the other team overtake you and win. What makes things worse is including this past postseason, Houston still can't win at home. Our next series after Toronto will be four games at the Texas Rangers (the team that bounced us last season from an ALCS Championship and the World Series).

Even if Houston sweeps Toronto this series, we'll still be below .500 this season. It's still very early to declare anything just yet. By the way... congratulations to the Yankees out of sportsmanship.

The only remaining Canada team in Major League Baseball ventured down to Houston. Houston, meanwhile, is looking to finally win a game after a four-game sweep against the Yankees to start 2024. Here's what happened in this series...

* TOR Blue Jays at HOU Astros (3 games)

[GAME 1] I didn't see Game 1, but I was smiling wide when I looked on ESPN's website for the score. At that time, it was 10-0, Astros, Top of the 9th. As I learned, pitcher Ronel Blanco threw a no-hitter in this one. Now THAT is how to bounce back after getting swept!
(10-0; Houston)

[GAME 2] No scoring happened until Jose Altuve bombed one 404 feet to left center. It was a 1-0 Astros lead at that point. Josh Hader was looking at securing a 1-0 victory, but then the Blue Jays uncork a two-run bomb to center with two outs remaining in the Top of the 9th. Houston fans were feeling heartbroken at this gaffe as Toronto leads 2-1. Houston ends up suffering heartbreak at the hands of Toronto. Rubber Game tomorrow night.
(2-1; Toronto)

[GAME 3] Rubber Game time in H-Town. Yordan Alvarez bombed one to right-center as Kiermaier could only watch. Astros up 1-0 after everyone was flying Air Yordan in the Bottom of the 3rd. A deep RBI in the Bottom of the 4th was hit by Yordan Alvarez to send José Altuve home from 1st base. Astros now go up 2-0 in this one. An RBI by Chas McCormick in the Bottom of the 5th got the Houston fans doing the "Chas Chomp," as the Astros went up 3-0 on Toronto. Jeremy Peña banged in an RBI the same inning for a 4-0 Astros lead. Yordan be Yordaning, and No. 44 on the Astros had liftoff on a solo jack right-center to make it a 5-0 Astros lead. Two homers were launched by the Astros in the Bottom of the 7th- a two-run blast to center by Jeremy Peña followed by a solo shot to left from José Altuve. JP3 and Altuve extended the Astros' lead to 8-0. Altuve was 0-3 in this game until that massive homer. The Houston Astros blanked the Blue Jays and take the series.
(8-0; Houston)

NEXT: at TEX Rangers (4 games, starting Friday)

The 2024 Houston Astros are now 2-5 on the season, 4th in the AL West.

So the guys who ended our postseason run last season is up next- the Texas Rangers. Our biggest rivals welcome us to Globe Life Field for a three-game weekend series. That will be followed up by a four-game road series at the Kansas City Royals. But first... them Rangers.

Congratulations to all recent series winners! How did your boys do in their most recent series, GTPlanet?

Cincinnati made a visit to the City of Brotherly Love for a 3 game set against the Phils.

Game 1: Andrew Abbott made his 2024 debut Monday evening. It wasn't quite the start he got off to last year when he pitched at least 6 innings in each of his first 3 career starts without giving up a run. But 5.1 innings of 2 run ball isn't too bad. The bullpen looked like the bullpen from last year, working the rest of the game without a run given up. Nothing much notable happened through 9 innings, with Philly scoring 2 in the first and the Reds returning the favor in the 6th. This one went into extras. Then Spencer Steer happened. Career grand slam #1 meant a 4 run lead, and the Phillies could only get 1 back before it was over.
Game 2: Storms rolled through Indy and my cable was out all day as a result. Maybe it was a good thing I couldn't see the game, because the box score was not pretty. Graham Ashcraft was on the mound for the first time this season, hoping to recapture the success he had early last year before injury derailed him. 6 innings, 3 runs - 2 earned, 4 K's. Not bad. The trouble was Bryce Harper. He hit two dingers off Ashcraft, then added one more for good measure against Suter. Yes, I guess you can say Harper broke out of his slump with those 3 home runs and 6 ribi's. By game end, the score was +5 Philadelphia.
Game 3: It was a cold, rainy, windy, miserable day in Philly. Originally scheduled for a 1pm start, it was announced the day before it would be moved back to 4pm. But the weather persisted, and it didn't get under way until darkness hit. In any case, Montas made his second start of the year. Though he couldn't quite finish the 6th inning, only 1 run was put on the board thanks to a Kyle Schwarber (who always seems to kill the Reds) round-tripper with him on the mound. The Redlegs drove in 4 runs throughout the contest with 5 of their 6 hits going for extra bases. The bullpen was solid as in game 1, finishing out the last 3.1 innings of no run ball.

Game 1: 6-3 Cincinnati
Game 2: 9-4 Philadelphia
Game 3: 4-1 Cincinnati

I want to harp on the 4-2 start, but amazingly it's only good enough for a tie for 3rd in the division. The NL Central is balling to start the season. Even the Cards are 3-4 after their worst season I can remember.
NL Central Standings.JPG

The Oakland A's will be relocating to Sacramento for 2025 to 2027 to play in Sutter Health Park, a 10,000 seat stadium home of the Giants Minor League affiliate Sacramento River Cats. This will end the Athletics' tenure in Oakland, which begain in 1968. The A's are expected to move to Las Vegas for the 2028 season.

I know it's early and I know it's not going to stay this way, but I'm just going to celebrate for a brief moment the Tigers are in 1st place overall:
1712264868309.png

Glad the Miami Marlins finally won a game recently. Miami started this season 0-9 until finally knocking down a win yesterday.

I'll let you know how my Houston Astros did on their first road trip of the season in a future post.

Before I talk about the Houston Astros' latest series, I want to honor today being the 50th anniversary of Hank Aaron becoming the new Home Run king on this calendar day (April 8) in 1974.

Last year's American League Championship Series would guarantee a Texas team in the World Series. The 2023 ALCS was between the Houston Astros and Texas Rangers, and every away team won each game. Houston would be denied the chance to defend their 2022 World Series triumph as the Rangers went on to defeat the Arizona Diamondbacks for the 2023 World Series crown. Now Houston wants to take back what Texas has. Fire up the Silver Boot Series.

* HOU Astros at TEX Rangers (4 games)

[GAME 1] I just remembered AppleTV+ got their grubby hands on this game, so no TV coverage for me to see. You'd have to listen on local radio. Final score: 10-2, Rangers.

[GAME 2] The Texas Rangers were first to score in this game, thanks to an RBI in the Bottom of the 2nd. The Houston Astros took their first series lead thanks to a bases loaded error in the Top of the 3rd. The Rangers tied things up at 2-2 with an RBI Double in the Bottom of the . After a wild pitch, Texas made Houston pay in the Bottom of the 6th with an RBI single. Texas went up 3-2 at that point. After Texas put up multiple runs in the Bottom of the 8th, I stopped watching and caring about this game.

[GAME 3] The game's first score was hit in the Top of the 3rd by Yordan Alvarez on a three-run jack to deep right. The Astros took a 3-0 lead on that thunderbolt by Air Yordan. Ronel Blanco was the starting pitcher for Houston in this game. He had a no-hitter through five, and it was broken up in the Top of the 6th. So his chance at back-to-back no-hitters was denied. R. Blanco ends up leaving giving up only one hit. Going 44 innings without allowing a hit is the 2nd-longest streak in Astros history. The shutout was denied in the Bottom of the 9th as Adolis Garcia ("El Bombi") made it home from 2nd base on a wild pitch. Texas now down 3-1 at that point. That is all Texas could do as Houston takes Game 3.

[GAME 4] I didn't get to see the game. When I saw the score, Houston doubled up the Rangers 10-5. Framber Valdez was scratched from this game due to injury. Astros struck first with two runs in the Top of the 1st. Texas hung five on the Astros in the Bottom of the 1st. Since? Eight unanswered by the Houston Astros Baseball Club. On the day of the total solar eclipse, the Astros eclipsed the Rangers to leave Arlington with a series split.

[IN REVIEW]
GM1: (10-2; Texas)
GM2: (7-2; Texas)
GM3: (3-1; Houston)
GM4: (10-5; Houston)
RESULT: series split 2-2

NEXT: at KC Royals (3 games, starting Tuesday)

The 2024 Houston Astros are now 4-7 on the season, currently tied for 3rd in the AL West with Seattle.

Last time the Astros were at the Kansas City Royals, we were failing against a trash team when we should have tried to maintain a better playoff push. Time to see if the Astros can do much better this time around in Kansas City, MO than last time.

Congratulations to all recent series winners and today's/tonight's winners! Let us know how your team(s) is/are doing.

Pitchers dropping like flies, elbow ligaments blowing up all over the place. Strider and Bieber joining the long list. Sad to see. Maybe throwing 100 mph fastballs and 90 mph sliders isn't conducive to good health. Yankees may have dodged a major bullet with Cole so far, but I don't see him getting through his entire contract without some surgery.

The team has been performing unexpectedly well so far. Juan Soto's influence is rubbing off on the whole offence but the pitching has been the bigger surprise. Joint-best record in baseball so far (with the Pirates!) but the schedule starts to get tougher next week.

I'll be honest, I don't really remember what happened during the Reds' series against the Mets over the weekend. I don't even know what channel game 1 was on, but it wasn't Bally Sports. Probably Apple TV or something dumb like that I'm not paying for. I was also slightly distracted by the eclipse, Purdue games, and the F1 race. All I know is the previously 1-win NYM took 2 of 3 against Cincy.

Speaking of pitcher injuries, it was great to see Reds' reliever Tejay Antone back on the mound after missing all of last year and some of 2022 recovering from arm issues (Tommy John amongst other stuff). Unfortunately, he threw all of one pitch in the finale against the Mets before immediately cringing in pain. Already done with a tendon tear from bone and partial ligament tear, and set for a 3rd elbow surgery. It sucks because he was a solid pitcher before the injuries kicked in. :indiff:

You know, a few people have hinted that Major League Baseball should do something about limiting these pitcher injuries. Maybe not throw as hard often with the new pitch clock? I don't know. What do you all think?

People like to blame the leagues for everything that slightly upsets them. How would the league manage each player's arm so they don't get hurt without 1)implanting technology that may or may not exist and 2)violate so many rights in the process.

Sadly, this is progress in the sport. Athletes are reaching the limits of human capacity. Granted, if I tried some athlete's workout routines I'd probably die before they broke a sweat. Pitcher's rely so much on the arm, and we've found how much arms will take. Tommy John surgery is now reaching 50 years of existence, teams are already holding pitch counts over game status, to the dismay of fans watching no-hitters or perfect games when the pitcher is pulled "way too soon". And the only way to counter the "bigger, faster, stronger" idea is for it to become redundant and useless...not happening any time soon.

The only way MLB can do anything is if they look at the research and recommendations for the lower levels of play, look at what is recommended for MLB...and then cut all of it in half AND make it a hard limit per game. I can't see that happening.

The Houston Astros wanted a taste of royalty. So what they did was go to Kansas City, Missouri, USA to meet the Kansas City Royals for a three-game set. Last year, the Astros could have and should have easily taken this series to make their playoffs entry easier. They sadly failed to do so. Now let's see how the Astros do in this latest meeting at the Royals.

* HOU Astros at KC Royals (3 games)

[GAME 1] Houston has a tendency to lose the next game after scoring 10 or more runs the previous game. Let's see if this comes back to haunt Houston again. Fast forward (because storms were in the area here in Houston) to the Bottom of the 6th, and it's a 3-3 tie. Regulation solved nothing, so we needed extra innings to settle this one. The Royals knocked in the walk-off hit to send Royals fans home happy.

[GAME 2] April 10 is a special day in Houston history because it is when the Houston Colt .45s (later to be named the Houston Astros) entered Major League Baseball. Spencer Arrighetti, the Houston Astros' top prospect for 2023, made his Major League Baseball debut in this game. He'll try to pitch well enough to give the Astros a chance at victory. The Bottom of the 3rd became a nightmare for the Astros tonight. All on one out in the inning, on a high heat pitch, the Royals somehow smacked one deep to left for a two-run RBI double. Kansas City up 2-0. A bases loaded RBI single put KC up 4-0 the same inning. Another RBI single the same inning brought home another Royal for a 5-0 cushion. An RBI double brought home two more Royals to go up 7-0, and that basically would take the rookie pitcher off the mound for the rest of the game. The Astros wasted no time trying to start a rally- back-to-back doubles to bring home an Astro and cut the lead to 7-1 in the Top of the 4th. Houston would tack on another run to make it a 7-2 deficit. Kansas City hit a solo jack to right-center to put KC up 8-2 in the Bottom of the 4th. A sacrifice fly in the Bottom of the 6th put the Royals up 9-2. A deep RBI to left let the KC Royals go up 10-2, and I stopped watching the game at that point.

[GAME 3] I did not get to see this day game. Probably a good thing I didn't. Astros' pitcher Hunter Brown became the first pitcher in MLB history to allow 11 hits while pitching in less than one inning. Kansas City put up nine runs in the first inning on the hapless Astros.

[IN REVIEW]
GM1: (4-3, 10 innings; Kansas City)
GM2: (11-2; Kansas City)
GM3: (13-3; Kansas City)
RESULT: KC sweeps HOU in 3

NEXT: vs. TEX Rangers (3 games, starting Friday)

The 2024 Houston Astros are now 4-10 on the season, currently 5th in the AL West.

This run of success for the Astros may be heading towards its sunset. Success doesn't last forever. You are fortunate you even have a long run of success- just ask the NHL's Detroit Red Wings on their string of 25 or so straight seasons of making the playoffs. If 2024 becomes the undoing or waning of the Astros as we know them, hope things get better in 2025. Yeah, I know- 14 games into the season, but this feels like the season is already over even with 150+ games remaining. Well, we get Texas at home next. I'll let you know how that goes in my next summary.

Congratulations to all recent series winners and today's/tonight's winners! Let us know how your team(s) is/are doing.

Last edited:
People like to blame the leagues for everything that slightly upsets them. How would the league manage each player's arm so they don't get hurt without 1)implanting technology that may or may not exist and 2)violate so many rights in the process.

Sadly, this is progress in the sport. Athletes are reaching the limits of human capacity. Granted, if I tried some athlete's workout routines I'd probably die before they broke a sweat. Pitcher's rely so much on the arm, and we've found how much arms will take. Tommy John surgery is now reaching 50 years of existence, teams are already holding pitch counts over game status, to the dismay of fans watching no-hitters or perfect games when the pitcher is pulled "way too soon". And the only way to counter the "bigger, faster, stronger" idea is for it to become redundant and useless...not happening any time soon.

The only way MLB can do anything is if they look at the research and recommendations for the lower levels of play, look at what is recommended for MLB...and then cut all of it in half AND make it a hard limit per game. I can't see that happening.
Odds are it is the go full throttle on every pitch that pitchers are forced to do now. I wonder if raising the mound MIGHT balance out the advantage the hitters have.

The Houston Astros return to their home state to meet their in-state rivals, the Texas Rangers. It has been a brutal season so far for Houston. Will taking on Texas help or hinder their comeback efforts? Let's find out together...

* TEX Rangers at HOU Astros (3 games)

[GAME 1] When I first saw the game, the Astros were being tripled up 9-3 in the Top of the 6th. Texas put on three extra runs, two by an RBI single this same inning. Kyle Tucker gave the fans something to cheer about (finally) by bombing a two-run homer to right in the Bottom of the 7th. The Rangers lead got truncated to 12-5. Astros bang in another run on an RBI by the "Honduran Hammer," Mauricio Dubon. It is now 12-6, Rangers still with the lead. Next batter up drives in two runs on a deep left RBI. Now it's 12-8, Rangers. So five runs were cashed in by the Astros to bring the deficit to four in the Bottom of the 7th. Houston's rally would go no further, as Houston falls 12-8 to start this series.

[GAME 2] I guess FOX wanted to show the woeful Astros get embarrassed on National TV. This Saturday afternoon of baseball saw the Rangers go up 2-0 after the Top of the 1st. Houston finally scored in the Bottom of the 4th on a sacrifice fly. The score is 2-1, Rangers now. Houston tied it up at 2-2 in the same inning on a Kyle Tucker RBI. The Astros added a run on an RBI single by Caratini in the Bottom of the 7th. Astros take a 3-2 lead at that time. José Altuve brought two Astros home on a deep RBI double to left. The "Little Giant" gave the Astros a 5-2 lead. With the bases loaded that inning, Kyle Tucker missed on a homer that hooked foul, but a deep RBI to left-center brought home two runs. Eight unanswered became nine unanswered when another RBI was knocked in by the Astros. The Astros ended up winning this one 9-2. Rubber Game of this series is tomorrow afternoon.

[GAME 3] When I first saw this game, it was an 8-2 lead by the Houston Astros in the Bottom of the 7th. Houston banged in three runs in the Bottom of the 7th. Marcus Simien jacked a three-run bomb into left on just one pitch to make the Astros' lead 8-5. Now the Astros will have to work a little longer. No further damage was done by Texas, and so the Houston Astros take down their rivals from the Dallas-Fort Worth area in this series. Houston never trailed in this game. José Altuve hit two solo jacks against TEX's Nathan Eovaldi.

[IN REVIEW]
GM1: (12-8; Texas)
GM2: (9-2; Houston)
GM3: (8-5; Houston)
RESULT: HOU wins series 2-1

NEXT: vs. ATL Braves (3 games, starting Monday)

The 2024 Houston Astros are now 6-11 on the season, still last (5th) in the AL West.

After a split at the Texas Rangers, we take two out of three from the Rangers here in Houston. The next two opponents for Houston are teams they faced in the World Series. Our first Interleague series of the season is coming up. Up first is Atlanta (2021 World Series opponent), followed by going to the Washington Nationals (2019 World Series opponent) next weekend. The 2024 Astros are becoming hard to watch with their consistent failure. Thankfully, though, the Astros pick up a couple of wins to try to work towards getting out of this hole they've dug themselves in.

As I learned, the game on Saturday somehow was also on local TV (Space City Home Network); and I didn't realize it until I saw highlights of the Saturday game on YouTube.

Congratulations to all recent series winners and today's/tonight's winners! Let us know how your team(s) is/are doing, if you want to.

Back