Make drifting its own set of missions

Take the drifting out of the regular mission menus and make it it’s own set of missions. I have zero interest in drifting games which means I have little to no patience in learning how to do it well.
For the players who enjoy drifting, absolutely have fun, but games need to stop forcing EVERYONE to do drifting and I find it really annoying that I can’t get gold in the mission menus as a result.
If there was a a mission menu that was solely drifting it wouldn’t be so bad, I could get bronze in all of them, as I have done in the mission menus, but to be locked out of the gold reward on 4 of the 7 missions (I did manage to get gold on the second mission menu) is more than a little annoying.

Take the drifting out of the regular mission menus and make it it’s own set of missions. I have zero interest in drifting games which means I have little to no patience in learning how to do it well.
For the players who enjoy drifting, absolutely have fun, but games need to stop forcing EVERYONE to do drifting and I find it really annoying that I can’t get gold in the mission menus as a result.
If there was a a mission menu that was solely drifting it wouldn’t be so bad, I could get bronze in all of them, as I have done in the mission menus, but to be locked out of the gold reward on 4 of the 7 missions (I did manage to get gold on the second mission menu) is more than a little annoying.
Well drifting is part of the art of driving , and managing it can help you in classic ''racing'', as for example when you loose car.
Look at it as a precious tool and learned it , and you might finally enjoy it once you start to be able to to do nice slide.

Drifting is a very japanese art, accelerating in a straight line is a very us-american art. I fear we will not get rid of both. :crazy: I also find them pointless and boring...

It’s a racing game, and drifting is not racing.
I consider WRC to be the pinnacle of racing.
Yet I dont see a benefit of a drifting event being in Gran Turismo as a car collecting simulator 🙄

Edit: the best German racing driver of all time is Walther Röhrl 😉

Last edited:
You’re not forced to do drifting, you’re rewarded for it. With a bit of practice you’ll be able to achieve gold.

I'm probably in the minority on this one - I have a second account which is just focussed on drifting!! I find the drift challenges amongst the easiest to gold (except the one at Daytona!) and every now and then I'll take out one of my purpose-built drift weapons for a slide around Suzuka or Tsukuba, just for the lols.

Yet I dont see a benefit of a drifting event being in Gran Turismo as a car collecting simulator 🙄

Walther is maybe one of the best drivers of all time period, in my opinion. To win drivers championship in what is (arguably maybe) the absolute pinnacle of the craziest form of racing on the planet is another level.

Anyway, drifting is brutal in this game with the snap oversteer. My kid absolutely kills it though. It's about all he does in GT7. Thankfully I have him to cover my lack. 😂

Only tip I have for Golding the drift missions, is not to use a wheel!
I can concur with this statement. Definitely easier on controller...

20970947615993541.jpg

So we had the "The Sun Also Rises" mission set...

How about "The Rising Sun" set next? (Initial D) :lol:
Does this come with a new AI specialized on drifting?
I mean, Sophy already did quite a show and I am unsure how a 360 contributes to its directive of doing fastest laps only, but propalby an AI that is directed to be fastest with the highest steering angle positive, and we call it "Bunta".

GT is a racing game, drifting is not a contest of who finishes in front of the other driver, therefore is not a race. Drifting is like figure skating, compared to speed skating. Speed skating is a race, figure skating is a ballet contest, where the winner is voted by a judge. Drifting takes skill, I’m not saying it doesn’t, it’s just not “racing”, in any form of the word.

Last edited:
GT is a racing game, drifting is not a contest of who finishes in front of the other driver, therefore is not a race. Drifting is like figure skating, compared to speed skating. Speed skating is a race, figure skating is a ballet contest, where the winner is voted by a judge. Drifting takes skill, I’m not saying it doesn’t, it’s just not “racing”, in any form of the word.
I'm wondering if you know my friend Rich... you've just made the exact argument he loves to make. Sport is measurable in time or position. Games are measured by points. Anything judged by a panel is basically dancing.

I had to switch to a controller to do the drifting. I just can't do it with a wheel. I remember passing them with the wheel and then came back later with a controller to gold them all in a couple hours. I hope they never return, felt like a waste of time, but being the 100% GT completionist that I am, they must all be golded.

Jerome

drifting is not a contest of who finishes in front of the other driver,
With mentioning WRC I think I was pretty obvious I relate drifting with the arts of finishing in front of other drivers, whereas your position is drifting as the purely scoring contest which I agree is not a good fit for GT.

You know you can cheat on the drifting missions?

Check the leaderboards ;)

The thing is, the game isn't looking for drifting per'se it's looking for wheel spin or slip. You can understeer through a corner and get points.

The main thing is if you want to get through them YouTube is your friend. There are a couple of game friendly exploits to complete them. Use them, move on.

I can't stand GT rally physics or events but have to grind them way more than a car sliding a bit and me learning a bit more throttle finesse. Horses for courses.

Drifting is boring and pointless, I’d be fine with removing it all together. It’s a racing game, and drifting is not racing.
Awktually...GT is a driving game. Hence the "Real Driving Simulator" in the title, not "Real RACING Simulator". Drifting is a form of driving. :) But, I agree, it should be separate and more for those of us who enjoy it. I wish there were online leaderboards for drift mode on each track, so we can see where we stand against other players.

Last edited:

Aktually...GT is a driving game. Hence the "Real Driving Simulator" in the title, not "Real RACING Simulator". Drifting is a form of driving. :) But, I agree, it should be separate and more for those of us who enjoy it. I wish there were online leaderboards for drift mode on each track, so we can see where we stand against other players.
If GT had open worlds, I’d give you that one. But it’s a track only game, so I see it as a “racing game” I guess.

And I don’t dislike drifting, it’s fun to do, and it takes a lot of skill. I just don’t like that drifting is scored by judges, it makes the results WAY to subjective, like any other judged sport/contest. With racing, you either cross the line first or you don’t, period. Or even golf, where you take less shots or you don’t, much much less subjectivity in the end results. I don’t know how many times in the past I’ve seen one guy pummel another guy in a boxing/MMA match, only to see the guy who should have lost, get more points by the “judges”, and “win” the match because of it.

Last edited:

If Gay had open worlds, I’d give you that one. But it’s a track only game, so I see it as a “racing game” I guess.

And I don’t dislike drifting, it’s fun to do, and it takes a lot of skill. I just don’t like that drifting is scored by judges, it makes the results WAY to subjective, like any other judged sport/contest. With racing, you either cross the line first or you don’t, period. Or even golf, where you take less shots or you don’t, much much less subjectivity in the end results. I don’t know how many times in the past I’ve seen one guy pummel another guy in a boxing/MMA match, only to see the guy who should have lost, get more points by the “judges”, and “win” the match because of it.

Style is a scoring criteria, so that will always be subjective sadly.

In boxing it's sort of the same although punches landed factors more than style.

It's the car equivalent of aerobics or ice skating or even snowboarding, diving etc.

There is judgement on technique not fastest finisher.

I agree with your point though, but expressive sports are judged this way.

Style is a scoring criteria, so that will always be subjective sadly.

In boxing it's sort of the same although punches landed factors more than style.

It's the car equivalent of aerobics or ice skating or even snowboarding, diving etc.

There is judgement on technique not fastest finisher.

I agree with your point though, but expressive sports are judged this way.
Yeah, that’s why I went with the speed skating vs figure skating analogy the first time. To each their own, I just want the least amount of subjectivity in the results, as is possible.

Latest Posts

Back