Makeshift Shuffle - No Tuning RacesOpen 

I had this silly racing sim for ps2. I forgot what it was called exactly but it was title corvette something. Odlly enough it wasn't strictly a corvette racing game. But to the point, they had this silly mechanic where if you were being closely followed by an opposing driver, your virtual driver would get nervous and the whole screen would start to get blurry and your driver would be driving all over the road and he would be very difficult to control. It was a stupid game simply because of this and it made it almost impossible to drive.
I think that was a Shift.
I remember watching my spouse play that one... and when he'd have an accident you'd hear the virtual driver grunt and moan, and the screen would get blurry.. tunnel vision & so forth.

It's kind of like how people are excited about Project Cars supposedly going to have a crane come & take your car away when you have an accident. That's too real. Who's going to want to spend 10% of their gaming time waiting for a crane to take their car every time they have an accident. I think that would get old real quick. :odd: :lol:

I like realism... but let's not get carried away. :rolleyes: :lol:

I played Real Racing on iOS a bit and the idea of bonus money for how clean you raced was just so simple and worked very well. Also the need to repair and wait for the car to be repaired worked in a way...

So the point is not so much the damage and effects but the being careful not to get that far. Other thing would be some bounces and rocks or torn rubber on the road so going 100% on the edge (of your skills) would get really scary :)

Next event...

(I don't see a lot of people signed up yet? :odd:)

Tuesday 3 March 2015

2:30pm US EST / 7:30pm GMT / 8:30pm CET / 19:30 UTC
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Shuffle Mixer -- Series 16 -- Event 2
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cars Needed: Traffic list, Retro list, 90s Sports list
Race #1: 1 lap @ Nürburgring 24hrs // Toyota Tacoma X-Runner '04
Race #2: 4 laps @ London Reverse // Traffic
Race #3: 4 laps @ Tsukuba // Retro
Race #4: 3 laps @ Midfield // Retro
Race #5: 4 laps @ Midfield Reverse // 90s
Race #6: 3 laps @ Fuji F // 90s

Check post #2 or the community/club events for other events that have been scheduled this week. 👍

Nope I can't make this one either. I'm pretty sure my racing will be limited to the weekends at least for now. Fridays are possible too.

Last edited:
Nope I can't make this one either. I'm pretty sure my racing will be limited to the weekends at least for now. Fridays are possible too.
We'll look forward to seeing you when you can make it. 👍 :)

Oh, also, there was some discussion of making a Friday 7:30pm US EST shuffle as well.
I'm free this Friday night so I'm going to go ahead and schedule some racing & see if anyone's interested. 💡

I'm going to limit the night time ones to 2 car lists for now, to help participants more easily prepare. Hope that might attract more interest.

People keep asking me about North America evenings... but then I don't see many signing up. :odd:
I mean literally, I've had 4-5 people ask me about North America evening events in the past 2 weeks. So there clearly is interest - it's not just me & @Chiochan !! (Though I'm sure me & the goat can have plenty of fun racing just each other - we're exciting enough for a whole grid sometimes. :lol::mischievous::sly:)

Tuesday 3 March 2015
Cars Needed: Traffic list, Retro list, 90s Sports list
Race #1: 1 lap @ Nürburgring 24hrs // Toyota Tacoma X-Runner '04:cool:
Race #2: 4 laps @ London Reverse // Traffic:mischievous:
Race #3: 4 laps @ Tsukuba // Retro:dopey:
Race #4: 3 laps @ Midfield // Retro:embarrassed:
Race #5: 4 laps @ Midfield Reverse // 90s:P
Race #6: 3 laps @ Fuji F // 90s:sly:

This is gonna be 🤬 goood!!:gtpflag:

Hey. I'm new here. I had about 24.5 million credits to throw at the car lists, so I've managed to purchase everything, except the retro cars so far. I'll probably finish that sometime tomorrow. If anyone's interested, the total cost so far was about 5.5 million credits. Anyway, I think I saw something about an event scheduled for this Thursday. I have plans for that day, but the weather might mess with them, so... yeah. Can I sign up as a "maybe"? I'll need to look over how car assignment works again as well. Once I get through a few races with you guys, I should have it figured out completely. If not, I'll have to take another look through the list of upcoming events, and see which ones I might be able to join. Monday and Friday evenings at 7:30 or 8:00 EST would work well for me too.

@terrordog1490

It was late when I saw your post last night. So I'll try to answer now...
And hopefully this will also help the other couple of new members who will be looking here too. :) 👍

First... 5.5 million. :)
The Retro list is pretty cheap - less than half million.
Of course we will soon be unveiling 3 more lists. :lol:
But you can always check the schedule and just buy the lists as they're scheduled, for events you plan to attend.

Anyway, important to get the oil changed in all cars, since the testing of the cars has all been done assuming oil will be changed.
In case anyone doesn't know this ... you can go into GT Auto, and then use the Start Button Menu to switch cars as you give them oil changes. If you have your garage sorted by the purchase date, that really helps if you've just bought the cars.
(Tip: Don't use mileage sorting in the garage - it's flawed.)
When I buy a bunch of new cars, I "get in" the cars, and then I have my garage sorted by "recently used"... so then they're all at the top (the recently purchased cars, because I "got in" them all when purchasing them.)

And here is our spreadsheet with the cars...
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...t_AXGvJY6Hh-J2OSK-IOFSooM/edit#gid=1988929993
You can sort these by the different columns (for example, put them in order by car).
This can make purchasing and oil changes a little easier.

I see you're signed up in the Community/Clubs already. 👍
So from there, to sign up to let us knowing you're coming to a scheduled event... You go into
Community / Clubs / Makeshift Shuffle / Events
Pick the event, and hit the "sign up".

Almost everything is covered in detail in the OP.
Most important is the Race Procedures & Rules.
Also to make sure you have the cars and your cars are fit to enter the track under "tuning prohibited".
Otherwise you can purchase tires if necessary or ask questions in the lobby.

The important thing is to have the car lists in front of you nearby during the event, so you can refer to it.
I use pieces of paper with the car lists on them. Others use a tablet or smartphone with the car lists on it.

If you're planning to Race Thursday and/or Friday evening you will just need these lists so far:
Traffic, 90s Sports, Vintage
(So you're all set with that for this week.)

We also have a Sunday afternoon series.
You don't have to participate in every event in a series to come. You can just come whenever you can. 👍
We also have no problem with late joining or early departures, if that's what your schedule allows.
(You'll see that we have a lot of "daytime" races too scheduled... those races are European evening. So just take note about the scheduled time for YOUR time zone. If it's US Eastern... that's the first listed in post #2 because that's MY time zone too. :))

The point about signing up is to reserve a spot, and so we know you might plan to race.
Mostly this now is about the room settings for participants. We limit it, so we want to make sure I don't set the room so that someone can't join who wants to.
Also... you want to sign up to show people we're racing and attract others to join up too!
Right now we have just been having 4-6 on evenings US, but several people have asked me about evening races recently, so I expect more will join if people realize it's HAPPENING.
:D

RE: Car Assignment system

We actually have TWO systems.

One is normal shuffle.
The other is parity shuffle.

Normal shuffle
(explained in the OP)
You just see what position you finished at in the prior race... and then pick that car on the list with the corresponding number.
Don't worry if this seems confusing at first, and if you're unsure at first, ask in the lobby. Others will help. 👍

Parity shuffle
(explained here)
We have a system in a spreadsheet that tracks drivers' finishing positions in prior races. And based on your finishing positions in the most recent races, you're given a Parity Car Assignment.
http://bit.ly/shuffleparitycar
(Obviously you won't have one of these until you participate. After you do some races, then you will see your name & assignment in that list.)
(This system makes for closer racing among varied speed drivers in longer races where ordinarily the grid of racers would get spread out. So it's kind of like a handicap system - just less obvious.)

And... if you have any questions about the actual car lists or how they are put together, I'll direct you to our Time Trials Testing thread:
http://bit.ly/makeshift-timetrial
That's where we discuss the actual cars and their performance, and make plans for lists, etc.
The reason this is kept separate is because not everybody is interested in that and we go a little crazy discussing the cars, and that would make this thread too confusing with too many conversations that are not relevant to just participate in racing.

Shuffle Mixer -- Series 17 -- Event 1
Sunday 1 March 2015

90s Sports @ Madrid Reverse

Circuito de Madrid.jpg Circuito de Madrid_1.jpg Circuito de Madrid_3.jpg
Circuito de Madrid_2.jpg

Circuito de Madrid_4.jpg Circuito de Madrid_5.jpg Circuito de Madrid.jpg Circuito de Madrid_6.jpg Circuito de Madrid_7.jpg Circuito de Madrid_8.jpg

Wednesday 4 March 2015
Shuffle Mixer Parity in the Cities - host wat3rm370n
Parity Car Assignments, heavy damage, 1 mandatory pit stop
Race #1: 14 laps @ Madrid Mini // Vintage
Race #2: 14 laps @ Rome // Retro
Race #3: 14 laps @ Tokyo R246 // 90s

(You will only need your car assignment car you pick for those lists today.)

ATTENTION NEW DRIVERS:

This is the rules for parity car assignments:
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...scheduled-events.293390/page-76#post-10413437

Today, anyone without a parity assignment, will be assigned cars this way:

Race #1:
Car #6 or #5

Race #2:
If you win the race 1 you will drive #4 or #3,
if you podium race 1 you will drive #5 or #4,
if you finish last race 1 you will drive #7 or #6,
any other finishing position in race 1 - #6 or #5 again

Race #3:
whatever # you were assigned for race #2

Sorry for flaking on the parity assignments. Just when I was getting used to the shuffle system... Ha. I'll read the rules and won't make those mistakes of choosing the wrong car again. Thanks, watermelon for steering me in the right direction and coaching me through it.

At Tokyo I was having a good (but too short!) dice with tarnheld when I overcooked it going into turn 2. Driver error all the way. I have an uncanny ability to throw it all away when out front. Then my Fanatec wheel decided to turn itself off not once, but twice during the remaining laps, forcing me to pit twice I think. I've been having overheating issues with it especially after some vigorous "sawing away" episodes. I tried to stay off the racing line while I limped to the pits but apologies if I caused any issues out there.

Sorry for flaking on the parity assignments. Just when I was getting used to the shuffle system... Ha. I'll read the rules and won't make those mistakes of choosing the wrong car again. Thanks, watermelon for steering me in the right direction and coaching me through it.
No no problem!! We caught it! :)

I hope I didn't sound harsh. :nervous:
I'm feeling under the weather and I realize I've been a little bit in over-freak-out mode. :crazy:
:ill:

I've raced in the wrong car myself. :guilty:
It happens!

I just get frantic about checking the cars, especially in the parity races.
Because obviously it's a little more complicated, and it IS hard to understand at first.

And so I have this horrified fear that someone will race a longer parity race in the #1 car (slower than any other car in the race) and then rage quit in justified frustration and never want to race with us again thinking we have terribly unfair racing. :crazy: :odd: :mischievous: :scared: :nervous:
And then everybody will be mad at me. :guilty::( :(

I may be overreacting. :odd: :lol:
But that's the kind of thing that goes through my head. :lol:

Append: I apologize for using up all the last of the smileys. ;)

Last edited:
Alright. The normal shuffle system seems simple enough.

I've actually spent a grand total of about 6 million credits now. That is also including oil changes and getting the sets of tires as needed for each car in each list. Since I already had so much money, it's actually easier to just have every car, instead of having to check and make sure I have cars from the lists we're about to use when I need them.

My RL plans for tomorrow are canceled, but I am unsure of whether I'll be able to jump in or not anyway. I also haven't signed up for tomorrow yet. I'll take a look at it again tomorrow, hopefully in time before you set up the room. At any rate, I will definitely see you guys on Friday night.

Also, I think I might want to look into the time trials sometime as well. I'll wait until after Friday night. I'll be sure to post questions about that in the proper thread.

Horrible car choices -- yes you can choose between two cars in parity races -- combined with sloppy driving let me enjoy the first two races from the back of the grid. That A310 is really challenging, it hates cutting throttle -- or any correcting moves, for that matter. :eek:
Last race started well -- i managed to survive the first half without damage, while being attacked by culturalsnow. 👍 But feeling the cold breath of longbowx approaching was too much for me, i missed that crucial braking point at the end of the straight and rammed the car into the barriers. :scared: Sorry for the quit, had to put myself in the freezer for a while.

But fun racing, this was a hardcore parity with heavy damage and all the scary walls around all tracks! :D

Today's Racing:

Thursday 5 March 2015
Spec Variety Cup - host wat3rm370n
Tuning Prohibited, Heavy Damage, No Enforced Pit Stops
Race #1: 6 laps @ Willow Springs: Streets of Willow // Fiat Panda Super i.e. '90 (comfort medium tires)
Race #2: 6 laps @ Nürburgring GP/D // BMW 2002 Turbo '73 (comfort soft tires)
Race #3: 6 laps @ Tskuba // Nissan Skyline 2000GT-R (KPGC110) '73 (comfort soft tires)
Race #4: 6 laps @ Laguna Seca // Chevrolet Corvette Coupe (C2) '63 (comfort soft tires)
Race #5: 6 laps @ Mid-Field Reverse // Nissan Fairlady 240ZG (HS30) '71 (comfort soft tires)

I already see 8 people signed up. :)👍

And these cars, except for the Panda, are all slated to be on our upcoming Historic car list for shuffle. 👍
So you're not just purchasing these for a one-off. ;)

Horrible car choices -- yes you can choose between two cars in parity races -- combined with sloppy driving let me enjoy the first two races from the back of the grid. That A310 is really challenging, it hates cutting throttle -- or any correcting moves, for that matter. :eek:
Last race started well -- i managed to survive the first half without damage, while being attacked by culturalsnow. 👍 But feeling the cold breath of longbowx approaching was too much for me, i missed that crucial braking point at the end of the straight and rammed the car into the barriers. :scared: Sorry for the quit, had to put myself in the freezer for a while.

But fun racing, this was a hardcore parity with heavy damage and all the scary walls around all tracks! :D

Yes, the walls were not made of marshmallows!! :eek:
As I found out early on at Tokyo. :ill: :lol:

@tarnheld I really wondered why you chose the Europa for Madrid Mini. :odd: I figured you thought it was the right choice because of the ratio of straight parts on the track, but I think the corners on Madrid Mini really do cancel that out... well, especially in a heavy damage race. :lol:
Your choice of the A310 instead of the Fairlady also mystified me. :boggled::eek:

But I tend not to judge people's choices, because sometimes people pick cars for reasons of personal preference to drive it for 20+ minutes, and I can't fault that.

Like I had noted that @John Wells chose the Cosmo instead of the Lancer 74... which was a really gutsy choice at Madrid Mini. But then I thought... you know, if you're a car lover, who wouldn't choose the Cosmo over the Lancer 74? Couldn't fault that! And really, the Lancer has a tendency to turn drivers into Joey Chitwood, so there's no telling what would've happened on that corner that juts out anyhow. :lol:
(Would've provided me with photo ops :mischievous::sly:, but that's not the right reason to subject someone to a car they don't like. :lol:)

Anyhow, sorry I'm behind on posting results. 👎
And sorry I've been a little hot under the collar. :(
But I've been a little harried the past 2 days with less than optimum physical condition and some Real Life to deal with. :yuck:
And I must admit, actually racing takes priority over math & race director duties which can wait. :guilty::lol:

And again, sorry for using up all the smileys. Hopefully there are some left for others. heh.

RESULTS

Tuesday 3 March 2015

1. snowgt / GTP_SnowCrash (31 pts)
  2. temuster / temuster (28 pts)
  3. amarynceos / GTP_amarynceos (25 pts)
  4. tarnheld / tarnheld (24 pts)
  5. culturalsnow / culturalsnow (23 pts)
  6. watermelon punch / wat3rm370n (15 pts)
  7. Chiochan / ChuthuluGoat (8 pts)

Race #1: 1 lap @ Nürburgring 24hrs // Toyota Tacoma X-Runner '04

1. GTP_SnowCrash
  2. temuster
  3. GTP_amarynceus
  4. wat3rm370n
  5. ChuthuluGoat
  6. culturalsnow
  7. tarnheld
  8. wild_child (DNF)

Penalty:
@temuster - Post Race Concession 1 position
End of Straight going 3 wide, bump pass of @snowgt and bump of @amarynceos

Race #2: 4 laps @ London Reverse // Traffic

IMG_0257.jpg

Race #3: 4 laps @ Tsukuba // Retro

IMG_0259.jpg

Race #4: 3 laps @ Midfield // Retro

IMG_0262.jpg

Race #5: 4 laps @ Midfield Reverse // 90s

1. GTP_amarynceus / S4
  2. GTP_SnowCrash / Fairlady
  3. tarnheld / Silvia K's
  4. culturalsnow / Celica
  5. wat3rm370n / NSX
  6. temuster / Lancer

Penalty
@temuster Post Race Concession to wat3rm370n
Lap 1 failure to hold line before tunnel resulting in contact
Lap 3 improper re-entry to the track resulting in contact with @watermelon punch no concession made

Race #6: 3 laps @ Fuji F // 90s

IMG_0268.jpg

Reported incident reviewed and found to have 2 wheels still on track, no infraction.

Attachments

• IMG_0253.jpg
    IMG_0253.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0266.jpg
    IMG_0266.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 9
I chose the Europa because i enjoy driving this funky little car. :D But the high speed corner on Madrid Mini was really a test of courage. I tried the Fairlady on Rome, but i was bothered by the understeer and wanted to try the Alpine. Little did i know what hides behind the pretty surface... :crazy: :D

Back