Makeshift Shuffle - No Tuning RacesOpen 

@snowgt
I was already thinking of history-limiting the parity system! To better allow for drivers improving over time.

But this system is so new that I wasn't sure where we'd hit that point yet.

Also, that will be putting a demand on @tarnheld for fiddling with the spreadsheet formula, so I was going to wait for his birthday to drop that news on him. :lol: :sly:

OK. Stoners and new formulas = confusion. :boggled:

I've read everything multiple times and just want to make sure I understand it.

Here we go...
My car number today is #10. I have the option to use the #9 car.
We will use the same car # all day, except for drivers with no races.

And what position do I have to come in to maintain 69% funkiness?:P

:lol:

@snowgt & @tarnheld
I don't think everyone would go to 50% exactly.

I also didn't worry about that normalization system, because I wasn't concerned about being that precise. After all, the car lists themselves are rather imperfect, depending on the track anyhow.

My car number today is #10. I have the option to use the #9 car.
We will use the same car # all day, except for drivers with no races.
Yep. 👍

You're #10 or #9.
So you can choose either/or for each of the races. If you want to use #10 for race 1, but #9 for race 2, that's okay. You don't have to choose one number and stick w/ it.
So @ryzno
Race #1 --> BMW Z8 '01 *or* Jaguar XFR '10
Race #2 --> Abarth Grande Punto '09 *or* BMW 120i '04

:lol: You would first need to know how many people show up for the races. :sly: And then have a high tolerance for math. :boggled: :lol:

Anyhow, you're behind in points to begin with because of not being able to make the prior events, so I expect you'll be showing up with your best driving gloves and your lucky pendant. :lol:

Cool. I saw that you commented about oil changes. I noticed adrop in PP after 150 mi. That's my recommended oil change interval.

Oh yeah, for those of us who have been using these cars for over a year, some of them must be ready for an oil change.
Particularly the ones that were also used in longer spec races.

I highly recommend everyone taking a peek at the cars they purchased awhile back.
The older the list, the more likely, and the lower the number on the list, the more likely.

The best way to do this would be to not race at all, and you certainly don't want that! :D

Remember that the purpose of the numbers is close racing for all, and we'll see today if the numbers are good for that. If they are not, we change them.

I am looking forward to today's racing!

Edit: is there a required pit stop on the first race?

Yeah required pit stops in both races.
Both races will have qualifying. (Though on Sarthe, it will be the kind "drive as far as you can in 6 minutes".)

At Sarthe, you're going to need to pit on lap 1 or lap 2. You can't pit on the last lap & cross the finish line in the pit, or your pit stop won't count.
And it will be damage light at Sarthe, but damage heavy at Monaco.

Great races, nice turnout.

Still shaking my head at my total brain failure at Monaco. Worst. Strategy. Ever. Getting second place out of that debacle was rather fortunate. :scared: Having to pass over half the field was not in the game plan!

@tarnheld , the SSR seemed to benefit from a heavy rearward brake bias and no abs; I ran 4/8 and it felt pretty good. Once I destroyed my front tyres though, it was really a pig. Front Left down to 5, nearly 4 at the end. :crazy:

:lol: Yeah, I'm not sure getting in the SSR & then pitting so you have to pass everybody hauling the hot rod truck around tight quarters can even qualify as a strategy. :scared:
Frankly, I think you should be very delighted with your finishing position considering.

I test drove the SSR just to see. And I was like no way am I going to drive that for 13 laps around this place. :ill: :lol:

Just an FYI I only watched one replay so far, and I intend to take a peek at the replay of Monte Carlo before publishing the official results.

@temuster that really stunk that you DC'd. I first checked the thread, and looked if you were offline. After you were offline for over 5min I figured it was a catastrophic DC, and we needed to start the race to keep on time.

@Chiochan what happened to you???

Did I have an invisible car??? :confused: :nervous:

002.jpg
003.jpg

I had 14 before the race started...
I thought I saw 14 in the qualifier results (but I didn't take a picture).

In the end, my results only show 11 cars finishing.

:lol: Yeah, I'm not sure getting in the SSR & then pitting so you have to pass everybody hauling the hot rod truck around tight quarters can even qualify as a strategy. :scared:
Frankly, I think you should be very delighted with your finishing position considering.

I test drove the SSR just to see. And I was like no way am I going to drive that for 13 laps around this place. :ill: :lol:

Just an FYI I only watched one replay so far, and I intend to take a peek at the replay of Monte Carlo before publishing the official results.

Yeah, in the end I was pleased with the recovery. I was kicking myself every stinking lap, though, from the moment I was sitting in the pits and realizing the field was already that strung out. :ill: I just assumed the pack would stay, well, packed, for the first few laps! Definitely made an ass out of me. :dopey:

Le Sarthe: That's definitely an invisible car there! We had 14 at the start, and lost both temuster and Longbow along the way. 12 finished.

I'm missing spraggy in the results from Sarthe. Can anyone tell me who finished before or behind him?

In the race at Cote, I have 12 in the finishing results.
Just as the end timer appeared (when 1st place crossed the finishing line), I saw a message saying that @Chiochan had left the room.

I ruined my qualifying there by putting myself into the wall during qualifying and getting engine damage.
:dunce: :rolleyes:

I think there was an accident or maybe some kind of a jam at Monaco that broke up the pack into 3 distinct clumps by the end of lap 1.

I went into the pit with a tad of damage on maybe lap 4, and it was advantageous because I came out of the pit with nobody in front of me and could push it a bit harder, and so I was able to catch up to @tarnheld after many laps. It was luck on the last corner one lap that Tarn was getting that massive understeer and I was able to pull around the inside to pass... otherwise I would've never passed him anywhere else because I wasn't fast enough or there wasn't enough room where I was.

By the end of the race the 1st clump kept a lead, and the other 2 packs kind of coalesced & melded with some switching over the course of the race, but the initial separation of those clumps can be seen in the total times of the finishing results. So whatever happened on lap one really sorted how things went the rest of the race.

Just happens that with cars like the Traffic list on such a tight track, it's hard to gain back 15 seconds locked in a jam, even over 12 laps.

I think we lost @temuster in the quali at LeMans race, and @LongbowX late in that race. 👎
Not sure about that DCs.

By the way, it was real fun to watch @LongbowX trying to sneak past the humongous SSR of @Chiochan in the first laps at Monaco. David vs. Goliath. :lol: I then damaged the front suspension and had to pit early, and my tires were shredded at the end. The SSR felt like 'understeer city' vs. @watermelon punch's 307. But it seemed if you drive it well it can really go fast around some corners. :D

Well guys, that was a really fun race debut for me in this club and I'm glad to be part of it now.:)
Let me explain my experiences a little:

LeMans
It went better for me than expected as I'm not the biggest fan of this track, but with 4th place I was quite confident. The C 63 had good speed on the straights though it never shifted in 6th gear (I use auto transmission), I was wondering about that.
After the start the field was close together and I could pass some cars due to little position fights going on in front of me. I hope my overtake on @watermelon punch can be considered fair as we had a bit of contact when i passed him her on the inside in turn 6.:confused:
In 2nd lap I had @tarnheld behind me catching up till the 3rd long straigth, then Mulsanne in front of us: I was breaking little late, him even later and so he slipped straight in the gravel.:crazy: We both pitted after this lap but I was able to keep the gap constant during the last lap, but also with no chance on catching the 3rd place.

Monaco
First of all I have to admit I made a wrong decision choosing my car. I quickly tested the SSR half a lap and thought "no way, this will be horrible on that tight course for a 13 lap race". So my choice fell on the 2nd option IS 200 which is quite fast in those slow turns and hairpins but has a lack of speed on the straights.
My qualifying was not good and on the start I tried to keep it a little passive, prior was on avoiding contact because of heavy damage. Then i was stuck behind spraggy who was also in the IS200 and another car in front of him. I was able to pass them up the hill in the beginning of lap 2 but the gap to other cars in front was already huge.
In 4th lap i was astonished by @tarnheld in his big yellow SSR appearing in front of me right after the chicane, almost stopping completely. He must have had an accident with the car in front of him which i was catching up to Rascasse quickly too. The car went wide in that turn and i slipped on the inside. I forgot about the heavy damage that moment and didn't have in mind that the car could aim to pit that lap. Then occurred something I'd call a plain conflict: i was right on track trying to get more left focusing on the last turn. He was left on track trying to move right in the pit, he bumped me 2 or 3 times due to his essential need of a pit stop, maybe he wasn't even noticing me. I guess @tarnheld could have obeserved this spectacle as he was behind me also aiming for pits. Anyways, when i realized what had just happend I was cornering in last turn recognizing a red blinking left wheel on the HUD, no chance to make it to the pits anymore. The next lap kind of ruined my race as it was way slower then before.:boggled:
After the pit stop I had quite a lonely race with @watermelon punch averagely about 4-5 seconds in front of me. During the last laps he she was catching up on @tarnheld, their position fight then made me get closer again. I was able to do two clean last laps but only could make it up to the rearview mirror of @tarnheld.:yuck:

I really enjoyed those two races and am gladly looking forward to upcoming events.:cheers:

Last edited:
That was fun last night.

I wasn't sure how different in top speed the cars on the grid would be like at Le Mans, because that's one thing that makes it really hard to compensate for the slower car. The Jag was pretty good in that respect, but I was a little surprised to be able to get pole (I think @LongbowX being in a 135i made that possible). I actually managed to get a whole lap done just when qualifying finished. Got away well at the start then, but @daddyo845 was able to sneak ahead with the more powerful C63. Bumped into him slightly in the Dunlop chicane, so I let off a little through the Esses, had to lift a bit much going through Tetre Rouge so as not to run into his back again, so then someone in an SL55 went roaring past and I did my best to stay in the slipstream. Braking for the first chicane, I got a little caught out by the others braking points, so I had to squeeze in between the barrier and the other two cars while we went three wide into the right-hander. Wasn't really planned that way, and I'm glad it went without contact. Apologies though for that move - it was pure luck that I juuuust made the corner. Daddy-o in his C63 then got me again on the following straight and I followed him until Arnage where he went wide and into the barrier. As I wasn't losing time in battle anymore, I figured I'd continue and come in after lap 2 and that went well and I was able to maintain my lead, although @amarynceos was inching closer.

If I was surprised about getting pole at Le Mans, I definitely was more about Monaco. Changed to #5 car, and the Golf isn't really a great car to drive and I had thought about trying the G20 instead like Longbow, but then decided to stick it out in the VW. And would you believe it, it actually has some performance in it. Apparently the torque is quite ok (I was worried about losing a lot of time up the hill) and if you don't floor it too early on the exits (and maybe short-shift), it doesn't understeer that much. @amarynceos almost had me at the start, but I managed to maintain a little more speed through Sainte Dévote on the outside, which was important for the whole race. I was slightly befuddled by his early stop though. I thought that either he had gotten damage or he had really good tyre wear and was trying something odd, but in an SSR? :lol: Anyway, I think his problems fighting through the field greatly helped to pull away enough so I could stay ahead after the stop.

I'm a little worried what those 2 races mean for my funkiness though. :boggled:

Oh, and the bonus race was short, but a lot of fun as well. Great driving with good awareness by all!

so then someone in an SL55 went roaring past and I did my best to stay in the slipstream. Braking for the first chicane, I got a little caught out by the others braking points, so I had to squeeze in between the barrier and the other two cars while we went three wide into the right-hander. Wasn't really planned that way, and I'm glad it went without contact. Apologies though for that move - it was pure luck that I juuuust made the corner.

That was me in the SL, just imagine ALF hitting 270+km/h. The glorious moment of top position was too much for me, thinking about the braking needed for this 2 ton monster. I braked too early, let off the brake too soon, managed to touch the outer curbs when accelerating out of the chicane and found myself pointing in the wrong direction. :banghead: Glad that i didn't hit anyone else. Great fun though! :cool:

I got discoed right before the finish. Then I looked out the window and saw there were cable guys working on the cable boxes. I think they turned me off...:mad:. After that had to lay down for a bit. I did have tons of fun while I was present.:gtpflag:

I was reasonably satisfied with my performance at the Sarthe. I managed to qualify in 5th (despite seeing the trails of everyone around me accelerate past me so easily). Unfortunately, the high qualifying position didn't really help me as by the time I reached the first corner I was in 10th. :lol: And being behind those other cars meant I couldn't use the one strength the 135i had: great handling. Still, I think I could have managed a top 5 or 6...until I DCed anyway. :ouch:

I switched to the G20 for Monaco instead of the Golf GTI '01. I didn't get to test the speed, but it drove nicer. So I wasn't put off finding out it was slower, it was still a better drive. I hate Monaco enough by itself, I didn't need to aggravate that feeling further. :P I managed to get some decent dicing in with @Chiochan twice during the race. Before and after the pitstops.

Back