Makeshift Shuffle - No Tuning RacesOpen 

Tonight's races I got a couple of really nice car/track combinations.

First, I don't remember having that much fun on Spa EVER.
I'm not keen on the track, I don't race it often, and I rather stink there, and I probably only finished before @amarynceos because he was lacking an oil change in the Cooper. :lol:
BUT... The Delorean there was just really fun to drive. :)

And the Alpine at Matterhorn Rotenbugboten was also surprisingly fun. I always liked the car, but expected it to be kind of sluggish there, but it seemed just right.
Though true confession... I did a little bit of unintentional off-roading. :guilty: I doubt it gained me any time at all, and probably slowed me considerably, and I lifted throttle... though with momentum, and I didn't dare jam on brakes or I would've been spinning. But I just got real over exuberant with that car there. It was all somehow floaty or something. (And no I'm not on anything. :lol:)

Of course then I suddenly came over hot & tired. I hate when that happens. It's not sleepiness because I'm only getting sleepy now after having a snack & buying a bunch more of the 80s cars & changing the oil. (That'll take it out of anyone though. :lol:)

But @LongbowX :
I made lots of lists now I don't necessarily prefer. :lol:

Although it depends on the day.

The hot hatch list was @daddyo845 's idea & I don't remember being that excited about it, as I'm not actually all that crazy about those cars... but now I like that list A LOT. 👍
Suddenly last week when we used it, it was, at least for that day, my favourite list. :lol: :boggled:

But today the Legends & Luxury are my favourite lists. Because I just raced them! And I thought, yeah, I love these cars!!
If you asked me on Sunday, I would've said Luxury & Traffic were my favourite lists.
Of course I would have to also say I don't actually particularly like any of the cars on the Traffic list... :odd: But I think it's a really fun list as a whole list.

No, I can't explain myself.
I don't think I'm fickle. Maybe I'm just a novelty junkie. :lol:
That could explain why I like to slip in some odd tracks & combinations into the line ups... Let's see what happens! :mischievous: :D

IF YOU PLAN TO ATTEND:

Friday 30 January 2015
2:00pm US EST / 7:00pm GMT / 8:00pm CET / 11:00am US PST / 19:00 UTC
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Shuffle Mixer - Track Day
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Combo TBD

I will be attending this Track Day.👍

My favourite order would be like that:

Red Bull Ring
Nürburgring Type V
Brands Hatch GP 80s
Monza 80

I sure do love the Ring and it would be fun to do some races there. Especially the 90's cars might fit it really well.👍

The Reason why I put Red Bull Ring above is simply because I didn't have the chance to race this track a lot yet. Since PD brought it into the game it was chosen rarely for Seasonals which is actually a shame (same with Monza 80, Brands Hatch 80s).:banghead:
I like the layout of this track: long straights, hairpins and an Omega.:cool: Since it's kind of a high speed track Low Power Cars might not be the best choice for racing there but that may be my personal opinion.

Brands Hatch is a great track too, ranked 3rd in my list just because I did some races there recently.

And Monza, well, it's not the worst track in game but always seems a bit boring to me.

Dang, missed that Toscana seasonal! Anyways, as i got that prizes out of pure luck, i would like to hand the parity pick over to @temuster. He is a great fellow racer, and i'm sure he would be higher in the rankings, if he wouldn't have the DCs in the parity races. :cheers:

And Monza, well, it's not the worst track in game but always seems a bit boring to me.
I'm curious.. which track in the game DO you think is the worst?

Anyhow, I've always disliked Monza. I remember when it first debuted in GT, and I was all hopped up for it... for some reason I thought I'd like it. And I didn't.
And I too have often thought it was rather boring most of the time, punctuated by annoying parts.
BUT... I have to say... I really like the Monza '80 track!!! 💡
I'm not really sure what it is about it, but it's like a whole different track, and much better.

@watermelon punch We haven't run the 90s enough for me to dislike it yet. :P And it includes many cars I consider fun to drive, so. Hopefully that never happens!
I'm convinced now, that no matter what kind of list we put together, I'm going to like it. At least the day we race it. :lol:

@Patrick8308
I don't even count SSRX as a track. :lol: I mean to like it or dislike it. It's just an odd huge oval. It's just like you can't compare Daytona Super Speedway to Grand Valley. Apples & oranges. However, I prefer Daytona SS over Indy Motor Speedway. In fact, I prefer Motegi SS over Indy SS.
My least favourite tracks are Madrid Mini Reverse, Madrid Reverse, Matterhorn Short Track, London Reverse, Indy Road Course, and all configurations of Silverstone (except Stowe, Stowe I don't mind).
Mostly if I don't like a track it's because it's confusing or makes me car sick. :lol:

@GranTurismo916
That's neat...
Does that capture thing work if you use it while watching a replay?
I need one of those. :lol:
I've long been VERY annoyed with the fact there's no way from the PS3 to upload a video of a replay to Youtube... like is possible in other racing games.
I would love to be able to capture just little highlights while watching replays.
I personally wouldn't be recording my races, as I would find that too often humiliating. :lol:

@GranTurismo916
That's neat...
Does that capture thing work if you use it while watching a replay?
I need one of those. :lol:
I've long been VERY annoyed with the fact there's no way from the PS3 to upload a video of a replay to Youtube... like is possible in other racing games.
I would love to be able to capture just little highlights while watching replays.
I personally wouldn't be recording my races, as I would find that too often humiliating. :lol:
Yes, and I'm probably going to record the replays later.

TODAY'S RACING

Friday 30 January 2015
2:00pm US EST / 7:00pm GMT / 8:00pm CET / 11:00am US PST / 19:00 UTC
Shuffle Mixer - Track Day

Nürburgring Type V
1-lap races
Race #1: Mazda MX-5 Miata (NA) '89
Race #2: Vintage List
Race #3: Hot Hatch List
Race #4: 90s List
Race #5: 90s List

Come early, come late, leave early, stay late, just join in. 👍

(Could be a bonus race too... perhaps with Legends or Luxury list, depending on if anyone is interested.)

Oh man nurburgring is one of my favorite tracks and I'm going to miss most if not all of the event. I also don't have the '90s cars ready either :guilty:

Sorry for my lag in that race, I don't know why it happened. Hopefully it didn't hurt anyone too badly. It probably did though...sorry. :guilty:

Great racing today! :cheers:

Well, for the most part. :P I don't yet know what happened in Race #5.
It's really too bad if lag has plagued us, since I had such high hopes with my new modem and the complete lack of invisible cars today.
Or it could be that 2 races in a row with the 90s Sports list may have been too much too soon for us. :sly: :lol:
Just kidding :D:D

I'm holding the results until the incidents can be stewarded at the availability & convenience of drivers being able to review the replays. A private Stewardship Conversation has been started for those who completed Race #5.
All discussions of Race #5 will only be conducted there until we have the facts before us. 👍
So check your inbox. ^^

RESULTS
Thursday 29 January
Shuffle Mixer -- Series 13 -- Event 2

1. GranTurismo916 / atongo619 (16 pts) (3/1)
  2. amarynceos / GTP_amarynceos (14 pts) (1/4)
  3. Chiochan / ChuthuluGoat (10 pts) (1/1)
  4. watermelon punch / wat3rm370n (10 pts) (0/4)

Race #1: 5 laps @ Indianapolis Super Speedway

IMG_9766.jpg

Race #2: 3 laps @ Grand Valley Speedway

IMG_9769.jpg

Race #3: 3 laps @ Nürburgring GP/F

IMG_9772.jpg

Race #4: 3 laps @ Spa-Francorchamps

IMG_9774.jpg

Race #5: 3 laps @ Matterhorn Rotenboden

IMG_9778.jpg

Both me & tongo did some unsanctioned off-roading at Matterhorn. :ill::crazy: But I don't think that really helped anything or changed anything.
But what an exciting drive! :lol:
Condolences to the goat... It never occurred to me how poorly the Dome would be at Matterhorn. :eek:
And, note to @amarynceos - remember to get that Cooper's oil changed. :lol:

Thursday's current point standings:

1. amarynceos / GTP_amarynceos (35 pts) (2/6)
  2. Chiochan / ChuthuluGoat (33 pts) (2/2)
  3. watermelon punch / wat3rm370n (29 pts) (1/5)
  4. daddyo845 / daddy-o845 (28 pts) (2/2)
  5. aceboy127 / aceboy127 (24 pts) (0/2)
  6. ryzno / ryzno (16 pts) (0/1)
  7. GranTurismo916 / atongo619 (16 pts) (3/1)
  8. AngryEater / AngryEater (9 pts) (0/1)

Racing last night was fun (Nürburgring always is), but I had mixed fortunes.

I didn't quite get the logic behind not having some form of qualifying for race 1, because I saw right away it would be difficult when I was being placed at the back and Longbow was somewhere up front. The Ring is very narrow, so it sometimes takes a while to get by other cars and being in the same car you can't make up that much time on competitors. Once I got up to 2nd with Longbow leading, the first intermediate showed a gap of 2.2s. The race finished with 2.3s. (It fluctuated between 1.3 and 3.x seconds in between)

In race 2 my Civic gave me some unexpected pace, but I couldn't compete with tacom08's Alfa Spider. I was in the lead coming down from Döttinger Höhe, but the power was just not enough to hang on to it.

In race 3 I had a lap-long battle in the Swift with tacom08 for 3rd&4th. I would get by and get spanked on the straights. Repeat several times. Got close to 2nd position twice, but once the next straight came, also had no chance to hang on. Happy with 3rd though.

In race 4 I was in the Lancer Evo II. Fun car to drive, if you don't get taken out by various incidents 3 times before you reach Flugplatz. Took me half the lap to find a way past melon in the TVR then, and managed to squeeze by daddy-o in the last chicane for 4th.

Race 5 had a dismal beginning, including a non-self-induced trip to the gravel-cum-spin. Despite all of that the Z 300ZX was a really good car for the track and I managed to get up into second in the end, only a second or so behind the winner.

Anyway, I'm happy with my performance overall, although it didn't translate into the results in every race necessarily.

shuffle 1st race grid order suggestion

I suggested earlier but it may have gotten lost in the shuffle of the thread... ;) :rolleyes:

If the interested, we can do a manual grid line up based on the parity car assignment.
@WarriusZero does a similar line up procedure, based on previous week's races, for the first race at zero cup and it's time-saving & seems to work well. 👍

After the vision test, we all cancel entry to the track, then re-enter to drive out onto the track.
Then the host calls out the parity assignment order (minus members not present).
Anyone without a parity assignment would be placed in the back. (in order of room arrival)
Anyone arriving AFTER the line-up is started, would get in the track in the back last place. (in order of room arrival)

Last edited:
I have updated the "prohibited conduct" list in the OP (post #1)

Specifically, this section:
(the enlarged print is what has been added)

In This League Thread
  • discussing topics that are likely to lead to arguments, insults, or offense (such as politics or religion)
  • insults, rude jokes, incendiary comments, double entendre, etc.
  • generalized complaints about drivers or incidents that could lead to misunderstandings or bad vibes
  • lodging race incident reports - use the private conversation feature of the forum
  • debating the car list ordering -- Use the TT thread ( http://bit.ly/makeshift-timetrial ) to discuss that
  • asking others questions of a personal nature that may be unwelcome
  • obviously - anything that's against the AUP of GTPlanet forum
  • when in doubt, use the Private Conversations feature of the forum 👍

shuffle 1st race grid order suggestion

I suggested earlier but it may have gotten lost in the shuffle of the thread... ;) :rolleyes:

If the interested, we can do a manual grid line up based on the parity car assignment.
@WarriusZero does a similar line up procedure, based on previous week's races, for the first race at zero cup and it's time-saving & seems to work well. 👍

After the vision test, we all cancel entry to the track, then re-enter to drive out onto the track.
Then the host calls out the parity assignment order (minus members not present).
Anyone without a parity assignment would be placed in the back. (in order of room arrival)
Anyone arriving AFTER the line-up is started, would get in the track in the back last place. (in order of room arrival)

If you say "based on parity car assignment", does that mean best first or best last on the grid…? To make it more interesting or challenging for all, I'd suggest the latter.

If you say "based on parity car assignment", does that mean best first or best last on the grid…? To make it more interesting or challenging for all, I'd suggest the latter.

:boggled: It's so confusing because the best cars are the last cars on the lists, and everything is backwards. :lol:
(This is why sometimes last place will jump into #1 car on the list for the next race, by mistake.)

I was trying to figure out how to make it clear.

So here is the parity car assignment list:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...ooM/pubchart?oid=717242305&format=interactive

Click just once on "average funkiness".
And you will see the list sorted.
If we had a race right now, if all racers showed up... (first we'd need 2 rooms :odd:, but disregard that)

spraggy0558 would be on pole, and snowgt would be at the back of the grid, followed by anyone who showed up late or never raced before.

Does this make sense?

NOTE: IF you're reading this many hours later... the list will have changed from new races in the data. :boggled: :dopey: :crazy:

Last edited:
RESULTS
Track Day Nurburgring V
Friday 30 January 2015

1. snowgt / GTP_SnowCrash (33 pts) (0/4)
  2. *tacom08 / tacom08 (28 pts) (2/0)
  3. Patrick8308 / Patrick8308 (22 pts) (0/2)
  4. tarnheld / tarnheld (19 pts) (1/0)
  5. nickg07 / Ballist1x (19 pts) (0/2)
  6. watermelon punch / wat3rm370n (19 pts) (0/0)
  7. Chiochan / ChuthuluGoat (15 pts) (1/1)
  8. LongbowX / LongbowX (15 pts) (1/1)
  9. daddyo845 / daddy-o845 (11 pts)
  10. spraggy0558 / spraggy0558 (10 pts)

Race #1

td21.png

Race #2
td22.png
Race #3

td23.png

Race #4
td24.png

Race #5
td25.png

OFFICIAL RESULTS: #7 & #8 are reversed

Post-Race Penalty:

Patrick8308: Post-race contact concession
Penalty: 1 position
Lap 1 contact incident.

There were several race incidents in the 90s list races, which were reviewed.
This is probably to be expected since the list is new, and the cars unfamiliar to most yet. And probably a lot due to both unfamiliarity with one's own car assignment's brake points, as well as the brake points of other cars in the race.

Until we are more familiar with the cars, I think we can try more especially to exercise more caution in future, particularly in the following areas:
1) restraint regarding off-roading incidents
2) anticipating likely times for the concertina effect (particularly in the first lap of a race, and especially Turn 1)

Otherwise, fun times at the ring!
I had some very close racing, and saw some really close finishes for several drivers in some of the replays! Look at some of those gaps that are so close in 2, 3, & 5!
Must've been a lot of tension heading into the end of the straight. :lol:

:boggled: It's so confusing because the best cars are the last cars on the lists, and everything is backwards. :lol:
(This is why sometimes last place will jump into #1 car on the list for the next race, by mistake.)

I was trying to figure out how to make it clear.

So here is the parity car assignment list:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...ooM/pubchart?oid=717242305&format=interactive

Click just once on "average funkiness".
And you will see the list sorted.
If we had a race right now, if all racers showed up... (first we'd need 2 rooms :odd:, but disregard that)

spraggy0558 would be on pole, and snowgt would be at the back of the grid, followed by anyone who showed up late or never raced before.

Does this make sense?

NOTE: IF you're reading this many hours later... the list will have changed from new races in the data. :boggled: :dopey: :crazy:

I'm not sure I based my comment from earlier on the right assumptions. You were talking about the grid order for the first race of an event where everyone is in the same car, or weren't you?

Because in such a case, the quali would tend to reflect the order of the parity funkiness anyway, so it would make sense to skip it and just assume that's what it will be like and use it with best (drivers) start at the back.

When everyone is in different cars, I would favour a quali run, because the car assignment is supposed to already include the handicap.

Looking at Sunday's schedule, it seems like someone has a sense of humour. Guess I will find out how long it takes to go down the whole Hunaudières in a Kei car. :lol:

Latest Posts

Back