Making new pedals for DFGT ??

Netherlands
Utrecht
YukinoSuzuka
Hello all,

As anyone knows, the pedals from the DFGT are rubbish, braking without ABS is impossible! The easiest way is to buy the G25 or G27 set from Logitech or my favourite, the Forza Motorsport CSR Elite Wheel. But it's not for free, so there's option 2 : Modify the pedals.

Lucky bastard that I am, Logitech gave me a new DFGT by problems with the brake-pedal, a common problem of the DFGT. Because it wasn't an electric problem, I think I can use the electric parts from the pedalset and make a set of my own.

pedalensksksksksksksk.jpg

P2.jpg

Are there examples of DIY pedal sets ? I've searched this 'hardware' forum for 10 pages or so and google, the only thing I can find is modding the original pedals. Not the solution for me.

Hope I get some help/advise and visit the DIY shop for some materials to build this thing :)

I have these 20eur DIY pedals. It's just some off-the-shelf brackets, some 12mm plywood, threaded rod, alu U-profile and a sheet of an old PC case. There's a loadcell brake pedal. They're not yet finished but minus the clutch pedal you could build similar pedals, possibly reusing the DFGT pedal potentiometers. Pedals are very adjustable and you can put a variety of springs in there.

imgp0073vi.jpg

Also, take a look into these brackets. You could easily make your pedals look neater and also be modular.

00005068673250686732_z1.jpg

You are familiar with the soft golf ball mod? It really helps a lot, it gives a bit of a load cell like feeling. It prevents me from braking too hard anyway.

See here:

Last edited:
You are familiar with the soft golf ball mod? It really helps a lot, it gives a bit of a load cell like feeling. It prevents me from braking too hard anyway.

See here:

Top tip 👍:bowdown:

I've tried it with a soft tennisball, but I think it was to soft, the pressure on the brake-pedal was not enough to brake without ABS.

Hopefully it's a hole-in-one :D

*But I still want to build something out of brackets/metal, just like Jet Badger did ;)

I have these 20eur DIY pedals. It's just some off-the-shelf brackets, some 12mm plywood, threaded rod, alu U-profile and a sheet of an old PC case. There's a loadcell brake pedal. They're not yet finished but minus the clutch pedal you could build similar pedals, possibly reusing the DFGT pedal potentiometers. Pedals are very adjustable and you can put a variety of springs in there.

imgp0073vi.jpg

Also, take a look into these brackets. You could easily make your pedals look neater and also be modular.

00005068673250686732_z1.jpg

Hey Jet Badger, I found your topic on TWIP :)

Seems a very solid pedal set 👍

The few things I don't understand :

- Your brake pedal has another kind of spring, silicone and I red something about magnets ? Will you make some pictures from it ?
- I also noticed the loadcell discussions here on GT-planet and a few on TWIP. Is this instead of the pots ? If yes, can I simply switch to loadcells and will the PS3 / GT5 understand these cells ?

My English is bad, but technical english is so difficult for me 💡

Hi, Yukino

There's a relatively light spring on the brake to simulate the "dead zone" of real car brakes (the travel of brake pads before they actually contact the discs) and then a rubber piece to give the pedal some travel after you "hit the brakes". The spring is random I found laying around and the rubber piece is an old furniture foot.

The brake assembly:
imgp0062g.jpg

imgp0065e.jpg

The loadcell is from digital bathroom scales (the left one in the picture). With a Loadcell Amplifier you could simply plug it in just like a potentiometer. Though most this kind of loadcells have only 3 wires as they're uni-directional (but doesn't make difference for our purpose) and the schematic for connecting it to the amlifier is this:

(mrbasher's info and picture)
30j0d2t.jpg

Also only the brake makes use of a loadcell, clutch and throttle are completely fine with potentiometers/hall sensors.

The talk about the magnets is about magnetic hall effect sensors that would replace potentiometers. For the sake of simplicity it's easier to use potentiometers as hall sensors are sold just as electronic chips and you need to rig them up properly to get a good performance from them. I haven't yet got around to making a sensor that would work properly. If you're interested in hall sensors check this link, it also shows how to make a sensor yourself.

Don't worry, my english is no better aswell :)

Cheers!

Thanks for the explanation !

main1.jpg

I'm thinking to use your idea about braking, spring + rubber busher. I won't use the loadcell, because I'm not that smart with electronics. I just try to re-use the original pots. I've this rig now (kinda, copy of this frame), not sure yet if I make a reverse pedal set or original one that stands on the plate.

Lot's of measuring and drawing work to do :D

*And for the next few months I found some squash-balls for my current set of pedals. Today a race on Rome with the Alfa Romeo TZ2 :D

Last edited:
Back