Managing throttle & Trail braking with DS4.

• Thread starter aureliocr
  • 20 comments
Mexico
Tijuana, Mexico
Has anybody with a DS4 mastered using no traction control (or TCS set to 1) thus managing the throttle on exit and also trail braking?
I’ve lowered my TCS to one while setting hot laps and I can kind of get used to it then, but in a lobby there’s just no way i can get used to it. Same goes for trail braking, the issue I have with this is the deadzone for the left trigger is gigantic and i cant get it right, either i under break or over shoot it.

It seems kind of impossible for me using a DS4 to get good at these 2 things, or maybe i should stop whining and practice.

Does anybody have any suggestions?

Has anybody with a DS4 mastered using no traction control (or TCS set to 1) thus managing the throttle on exit and also trail braking?
I’ve lowered my TCS to one while setting hot laps and I can kind of get used to it then, but in a lobby there’s just no way i can get used to it. Same goes for trail braking, the issue I have with this is the deadzone for the left trigger is gigantic and i cant get it right, either i under break or over shoot it.

It seems kind of impossible for me using a DS4 to get good at these 2 things, or maybe i should stop whining and practice.

Does anybody have any suggestions?
it is manageable :) both actually

Options:
a) search online and find pages and pages of potentially dense info
b) ask on a thread where it is being discussed

long story short I believe it's lightened braking whilst turning into the corner

OK

So do your main hard brake in a straight line, then tap, tap, tap as you go round the corner?

I dont think I'm the best person to answer this as I literally had to google the definition the other day lol but my theory is brake later than you normally would before the corner, but lightly apply whilst turning the car not necessarily tap tap tap. the balance in braking reduction and increase of steering provides maximum grip.

thats my take on it anyway?? im sure others out there are better equipped to answer your question.

OK

So do your main hard brake in a straight line, then tap, tap, tap as you go round the corner?

Basically yes, turning while the brakes are applied. What you have to do on Maggiore's big turn on the bottom of the hill and also the long wide turn at Interlagos for example.

I bleed in the throttle while easing off the brakes. In some corners, like the Lago Maggiore, I am still giving some throttle while braking.

You might also be having issues with throttle because PD, in their infinite wisdom, made throttle imput non-linear with how much you press your R2 button. With only about 80% of your R2 pressed you already achieve 100% throttle.

Meanwhile, braking imput IS linear(and it shouldn't be).

We discussed this in another thread here, I believe PD got both buttons mixed up...If that is even possible.

Yes to both

Edit: no idea what dead zone you’re on about?

When I press on the left trigger ever so slightly nothing happens, and if i press about 20% more than that the brakes are about 50%. This doesn’t happen with the throttle, I feel i can control it a bit more than the brake.

Best example I can think of is the first corner at Suzuka where you hardly brake in a straight line at all.
(Depending on the car and tires of course)

That corner never really feels like trail braking to me, I know technically I am braking while turning, but I think the turn is much too wide.
A good example for me is the tight right hander at the bottom of the hill on Dragons Trail - heavy brake for a good while, then lighten on the brake and turn.

That corner never really feels like trail braking to me, I know technically I am braking while turning, but I think the turn is much too wide.
A good example for me is the tight right hander at the bottom of the hill on Dragons Trail - heavy brake for a good while, then lighten on the brake and turn.
Wide corner or not, it's still trail braking. Both 1st and 2nd corner at Suzuka (or is it just one big tightening corner? :confused:), at least I am applying the brakes and cornering at the same time. Or trail breaking if you will ;)

The thing I would focus on first though is not trail breaking or entry speed of the corners. But rather exit speed.
Learn how to control your throttle is more important I would say. Because you carry whatever extra exit speed from the last corner all the way to the next. And therefore you will see the most improvement by focusing on this.
But how?

Practice, practice, practice
Know your car and know your track.
The way I do it is by just do a lot of laps with one car and maybe using SS tires instead of RH/RM/RS/RSS.
No aids barring ABS on weak. That way you'll learn little by little what works and what doesn't (when to go full trottle, when to feather the trottle, racing lines etc.). Then when you feel "I've got this", change to racing tires do some laps and see if your laptimes have improved... ;)

Last edited:
Back