Manual Transmission

  • Thread starter Thread starter fantasywave
  • 36 comments
  • 1,852 views
I can't find anything conclusive (although, i am at work, and should probably be doing something else :)) I did manage to find some some hilarious stuff from people who have no clue what they're talking about:

" Avoid coasting with the clutch all the way down (called "riding the clutch"), as this will cause needless wear and tear on the clutch. When stopped at a traffic light, put the gearshift into the neutral position and release the clutch rather than sitting with the clutch engaged."

i also found some good propaganda about obeying the 55mph speed limit (published in 1980) :)
 
kylehnat
Please point me to your source; I'd like to see it.

Word of advice - Don't start questioning Famine.....!
 
kylehnat
... And, no there aren't any changing variables in that.
:eek: :boggled:

Not even wind, weather? Cold air will make your engine perform differently from warm air. There wasn't a gust of wind at all that may have hit your car, from any direction?

Did you weigh exactly the same? You hadn't just eaten, or been to the bathroom, possibly altering your weight by up to 1kg? You had exactly the same amount of fuel on board, so that in both tests the car was having to carry exactly the same weight? That's with you included of course. You hadn't picked up any bugs or mud? These would also increase the weight of your car.

NEVER say that variables were constant. They very rarely are. :)
 
Flerbizky
Word of advice - Don't start questioning Famine.....!

LOL.. my jaw dropped when I read the first sentenced!.. I thought to myself "this dude must be new!".. hahaha
 
Mistral1
You do not trust Famine?? :eek:

I take issue with his comment "coasting is the enemy of fuel economy". That is wrong. His reasons (as well as mine) are not completely accurate, but the fact of the matter is, coasting is beneficial to fuel economy. if you're going down a hill with the clutch engaged, you may not be using more fuel, but because of the resistance of the engine, you are wasting the potential energy given by the hill. Even if you don't like that reason, think about it: Two identical cars going identical speeds hit a flat stretch of road. One pushes in the clutch and coasts, while the other doesn't. Who will go farther before the car comes to a stop? Theoretically, they both used the same amount of fuel, but who went farther on that given amount? Isn't that how mileage is measured? That's all I was trying to get at in the first place. And my number of posts has nothing to do with how much i know compared to someone else. I'm speaking from years of experience with manual transmissions.
 
This same question appeared a few months ago and according to the experts, modern fuel injected cars completly stop supply of fuel to the engine when going downhill when in gear with no pressure on the gas pedal.
If you put the car in neutral and roll, fuel is still being pumped to the engine.
I never saw a link to a manufacturer that actually stated this. So I am still unsure?
 
Back