Manual Vs Automatic, why not equal

You seem to be under the assumption that choosing between Manual and Auto in the global assist settings somehow changes the actual transmission on the car you're currently driving in GT7?

That's not the case. Choosing Auto shifting in a car that comes stock with a manual transmission doesn't mean the car suddenly gets a magical PDK for free. It just means the game will shift the car's manual transmission for you.

If you want to actually change the transmission type, you need to buy the parts from the Tuning Shop. You get a choice between "Racing Manual" and "Racing Sequential".
Yeah, multiple people have mentioned this and he doesn't seem to get it and/or accept it.

@John Smith UK I'd like to add to others' suggestions of giving manual a go by stating that Gran Turismo only really came alive for me when I finally learnt to change gears myself. I think it was GT5, and I would use the racing lines assist to allow me to focus on the shifting (in those days the racing line would show braking areas IIRC).

I'm not talking about getting competitive or 'better'... I'm talking about the actual act of playing the game itself became complete, I could feel everything. This is all on controller BTW.

By the time GT Sport came around, I had the desire to improve my pace, so the next aid to find the bin was TCS. Now I'm a comfortable A/S driver, which is somewhere I never DREAMED I could be 5 years ago.

NB. It took a long time to get out of B rating!

and I’m not a technical person but when you ask an engineer what transmission is in the car the chances are it will be one of these 7
  • Traditional Manual.
  • Traditional Automatic.
  • Manual-Automatic.
  • Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT)
  • Dual Clutch Transmission (DCT)
  • Direct Shift Gearbox (DSG)
  • Tiptronic
Not to detract too much from your lecture here that's irrelevant to not only this game but damn near every racing game I've ever played (the only game I can think of that actually did this differently was NFS High Stakes, and even then only the PC version and even then I can't remember if the game actually utilized it or if the engine supported it but was not used) in the past 25 years; but I suspect your hypothetical "engineer" probably wouldn't use manufacturer trade names like "Tiptronic" to describe "automatic gearbox with a better interface than D321 for manual gear control" or delineate "What Volkswagen calls a Dual Clutch Transmission" and "A Dual Clutch Transmission."

Last edited:
Back