Marines Workout (3 Week Plan)Upper Body and Lower Body

• Thread starter Jon
  • 50 comments
Originally posted by hanker
Actually ya know its not good to workout the same muscles everyday. You are supposed to give your muscles a 48 hour rest period. Thats why every second day would be ideal.
Is it 24-48 or 48-72? I think it's 48-72....

Originally posted by Jon
This is a 3 week plan to build and tone your muscle without using weights.

Please explain to me how exactly you 'tone' a muscle?

Heck I'll just answer for you:

You can't, there is no such thing as toning a muscle - muscle tissue is made up of protein and water - it cannot be toned in any way shape or form - a muscle either gets bigger or smaller - nothing else. I imagine what you seem to call toning is actually a reduction of body fat so that the muscle becomes more visible - however your workout cannot achieve this - an anaerobic exercise programme such as the one you listed will not remove adipose tissue.

Please do some research in future - it is also worth mentioning that any programme intended to increase muscle mass will fail unless you are consuming excess calories from which new muscle tissue can be formed - just exercising will not build significant muscle.

A sensible gym routine would build infinitely more muscle than this routine - this high rep multiple set routine is more likely to increase stamina than build muscle - hypertrophy occurs at lower rep ranges. Compount movements such as squats and deadlifts will provide infinitely more results than this routine if someone were looking to add muscle tissue.

Originally posted by Ax Battler
Please explain to me how exactly you 'tone' a muscle?

You do many reps per set of a lower weight. Rather than doing only 5 pullups or 10 pullups, maybe do 30 on an assist machine. Rather than doing 75lbs curling, do more reps at 65lbs or 60lbs.

Originally posted by rjensen11
You do many reps per set of a lower weight. Rather than doing only 5 pullups or 10 pullups, maybe do 30 on an assist machine. Rather than doing 75lbs curling, do more reps at 65lbs or 60lbs.

So how is that 'toning' the muscle - the muscle will either get bigger or smalller when you exercise it - what is toning a muscle exactly?????

Doing low weight for high reps builds endurance because of the fibres it trains.

Please provide an explanation of this mythical 'toning' process - what is a toned muscle? what is an un-toned muscle?

Chain Breakers: Stand up in a sports position. Meet you middle knuckles and keep you elbows at an angle so your arms and elbow are parrell(sp) to your chest. Move them away from eachother about a foot for 3 times then for the 4th extend your arms out so there even with your shoulders. That counts as 1. Do 75 total of them. You count them like this. 1 , 2 ,3, 1...1,2,3, 2...1,2,3, 3. ETC.

I did that and my arms are absolutely killing me! :eek:

Is that a good thing or is that bad?

Originally posted by Ax Battler
Please provide an explanation of this mythical 'toning' process - what is a toned muscle? what is an un-toned muscle?

Toning is simply making a muscle firmer, not increasing its mass. There is no such thing as an untoned muscle.

IMO, the best thing to do is just plain weight training.

im not very fond of aerobic-oriented programs but i guess they do work when you dont have weights availible. however, over a period of time, the program will become less and less effective, and thats when you introduce weight. every excercize is essentially weight lifting.....as the body parts that you move are the weight themselves....but adding more and more weight only speeds up the process of breaking down muscle tissue, giving better results too. as for the weight effects, the higher the weight (with lower reps), the stronger your muscles will become, while using middle weight with high or mid reps will affect muscle mass.

but anyway.....sleep is the optimum time for muscle (or any other) growth. you should always make sure you get plenty of it, and stick to diets that plenty nourished without having excess (like the ones mentioned above).

why is it bad to workout the same muscles every day? ive been working out the same muscles every day multiple times a day, they are usually sore and i realise that by doing this im likely to pull a muscle but i want to gain upper body strength fast.

i can only do 22 pushups atm and i want to be able to do around 35 within 2 weeks to a month while also being able to run about 2 miles in 14 minutes which i think i could alrdy do but ive been running every day anyway

i usually do around 20 pushups (or as much as i can do while still being able to hold myself up) about 8 times a day and it doesnt seem to have much effect while at the same time i have been able to increase the distance ive been able to run/jog (at least double) in a few weeks.

some help would be appreciated, thanks

It's because when you work out, you tear your muscles. Then they rebuild stronger then before. They need about a day to rebuild however, so if you keep working the same ones every day, they dont have enough time to rebuild and you won't strengthen anywhere near as quickly. However, just doing pushups isn't going to be enough to tear your muscles. That only applies to actual workouts with mutiple machines on the same muscle unit.

so i should workout one day rest the next etc like the original thread maker has his setup...but how much should i workout in the day that i am working out and at the expense of looking like a retard what does 3 sets of 25 pushups mean exactly? how far apart do you spread the 3 sets? should i just workout during the whole day trying to use the muscles i want to get stronger as much as possible or should i just do the workout suggested by this thread? i dont have any weights so pushups and the stuff suggested in the thread is all thats available at this time.

thanks

I don't always take a day off.
Ex. One day I'll work chest, triceps, and abs.
The next day I'll do back, biceps, and abs.
Fit in shoulders and legs somewhere.
Bot most of the time I will take a day off.
For the newbies to working out, I would highly advise taking time off between workouts.

WOW! Someones a motivator (looks suspiciously at Jon)
Well, I like your plan. I just run like it's cool. That usually keeps the PFT score up in the 270+ region. Crunches are a given leaving pull ups (upper body) to be the only thing strived for and the only way to get better at pull ups is to do more and more pull ups. But, I do like your plan. Stay fit Marine.

Semper Fidelis
Shadow Drifter

Are there any buff workout type guys here?? I want a workout plan for over Christmas break and I would like to talk to somebody/ies on AIM to make sure I am doing it all right.

I am not out of shape right now, I just need to tone my muscles. I am 5'8 and weigh 130. I can do about 25 pullups and I can bench 135lbs 12 times. Just to give you guys an idea of my fitness level.

Mainly I would like to work on my abs for now, because I hurt my arm maxing out on a bench and I want to go easy on it for about a week. I want a six pack, I can see my abs, just not all six.

Well i was carrying some extra pounds before aswel. What worked for me is that when i moved house i had to do alot of walking after school, combine that with my mentality of eating right and playing much more sports.
I had lost alot of weight and my body felt better. (This is over a period of about 4 months)

Now that i'd lost all that extra weight that wasnt needed, i could then start on body building...it makes sense, lose the fat first. Then do the body building....

So basically:
Walking/Running/Playing sports/Moving around alot + Better diet first.

Then the Pushups etc etc etc....

:)

What should a sixteen year old do to build muscle. My mom nags at me too much that working out stops your growth.
But I know that'll only happen if I lift too much. Can someone recommend good workout exercises.

You definitely shouldn't work out with heavy weights when you're not 18 yet. If your muscles get big, but your bones still grow, your muscles might end up being too short and it will make you a stiff puppet + it makes you look disproportionated (=ugly).

You can train with light weights. Just do a lot of reps, then you also feel the burn with light weights and you develop muscles, yet not in an unhealthy way. Do pushups to develop your triceps (hands / fists close to body) or chest (hands wider than shoulders). Train your abs with situps, you're not too young for that. :)

Do cardio as well, if you have a low fat percentage you will see your muscles, even if they're not humongous it'll look good. I'd say go run a lot, but maybe a bicycle is a better idea because then you don't ruin your knees.

Back