Mario Kart 8

• Thread starter Brend
  • 1,093 comments

We don't necessarily pick a path, instead Mario Kart Tour tracks are like what's in Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed. The layout changes each Lap.

Paris Promenade goes Reverse for the final lap and Tokyo Blur 1, 2, 3 are used on the corresponding lap

Last edited:

Shame the Miis were killed in a Shy Guy revolution it seems.

Been playing the DLC all weekend and want to give a personal review.

Overall:

• The Visual change due to being unscaled from Tour can be off putting. It's kind of like GT5 when you race on a GT4 unscaled track as opposed to a normal GT5 track. There's a noticeable difference even with the improved lighting. I don't mind the art style myself minus the few texture issues as it reminds me of the older Mario Kart more cartoon style but the inconsistency is a negative
  • The tracks are almost non-existent online without playing with friends. They'll only show up if you hit Random and Random falls on the DLC track which means you likely won't race on one for awhile.
  • People seem to only now notice that the tracks and NPC characters are huge in comparison to the racers but that's been a thing since Mario Kart Wii
  • The tracks are really easy with Coconut Mall, Shroom Ridge and especially Sky Garden having difficulty downgrades. However I want to pin that because I think the tracks will only get harder from here on out.
  • Some of the tracks also seems notably longer than usual Mario Kart 8 where even the Special Cup tracks were really short. I like this as I thought some of Mario Kart 8 tracks were too short and I think this was done for 200cc sake.
This seems negative at first but most of my positives I want to save for each individual track

• Paris Promenade: I adore the track layout and the music hits very nicely to the usual theme of Paris. I love the track changing on the final lap where you end up racing in reverse and running into everyone who is behind like in GCN Luigi Circuit
  • Toad Circuit: I actually really like this one. Toad Circuit is one of my favourite first course tracks and it's a lot better on 200cc where you can hop over the gravel into the ramp without slowing down, very satisfying.
  • Choco Mountain: I never liked the original, thought it was too bland like most Mario Kart 64, I do like all the adjustments here, the Track feels a lot more alive. The music reminds me of Ty the Tasmanian Tiger
  • Coconut Mall: It's Coconut Mall, as long as they didn't mess up the music. It's all good. Jokes aside, 200cc is strange here because they actually increased the gravity so you don't fly off into the distance
  • Tokyo Blur: This is the one track I'll say it's better to do in 150cc than 200cc, tracks too short for 200cc to appreciate all the different layouts per lap. Really fun course though
  • Shroom Ridge: Despite the difficulty downgrade, I enjoyed this immensely. Zooming passed the cars in 200cc speed has an immense satisfaction to it.
  • Sky Garden: The only bad track in the DLC, looks pretty and is visually stunning even in the Tour style but the layout got gutted and is really boring now. No cool twist, turns and big brain shortcuts in the GBA or DS, just linear and boring. The cool Shortcut idea I had from looking at it from Tour doesn't work either.
  • Ninja Hideaway, this is my new favourite track in Mario Kart 8. This is Yoshi Valley done better with benefits to both possible paths and elements thatll constantly change what path you want to go on every single time. I also love the Gliding Section, Mario Kart 8 had an issue where most Gliding Sections were really just custcenes and not much to do in it but Ninja Hideaway really tests your ability to maximise the section, especially if you want to take the high path, which you want to on 200cc if you want to take the really cool short cut at the very end

I'm glad that the new tracks are basically free for online multiplayer and the player base isn't seperated.
It seems to appear often than I initially thought when I played which is a good sign.

Although online players who don't have the DLC are a bit disadvantaged on not having enough experience on the added courses, especially on 200

Datamine leak of the Booster Course pass has been uncovered. We don't know all of them but this what we have from this datamine.

DS Waluigi Pinball
GCN Waluigi Stadium
DS Delfino Plaza
Wii Koopa Cape
Wii DK Snowboard Cross
Wii Maple Treeway
GBA Sunset Wilds
3DS Rainbow Road
New Track themed around Ice Cream (which could be in Mario Kart Tour first and be considered as a Tour retro track)

Also from my own observations, I see Sydney Sprint from Tour and a SNES Mario Circuit

While this is a great track selection, it does feel a little uninspired if true. GBA Sunset Wilds is the only track from this datamine that hasn't already appeared in Wii or 7. I do want to see more out there selections.

Last edited:
For Easter Weekend, Nintendo Australia is hosting a tournament everyday.

Day 1 was fun until I got put into a one on one against another player who left after she was losing forcing me to get dc but the race still counted towards the 24 race total so I lost a chunk of potential points and only scored 312 when it could've been 327

Day 2 I performed much better, except for Baby Park where I placed 6th (why is Baby Park an option....) I came 1st or 2nd in every other race which got me to end on 334 points which was enough to finish in the Top 10

2022041718005700-16851BE00BC6068871FE49D98876D6C5.jpg

I think I'll probably do a meme setup for Day 3 in see how far I go. You only get prizes on your 1st Top 10 and subsequent Top 10s don't count

Last edited:

Wave 2 confirmed for August 4th (next Thursday)

Turnip Cup:

Tour New York Minute

SNES Mario Circuit 3

N64 Kalimari Desert (this track appears to combine it with the Kalimari Desert 2 layout from Tour)

DS Waluigi Pinball (uses the same remix music from DS Wario Stadium)

Propeller Cup:

Tour Syndey Sprint

GBA Snow Land

Wii Mushroom Gorge

Sky-High Sundae (seems to be completely original, even entirely Anti-Gravity)

Last edited:
Played through Wave 2 over the weekend and want to give my overall thoughts

• First, Coconut Mall has been patched and the Cars now move and do freaking donuts (except in Time Trials). Fixes my main gripe with the Track and I love it again.
  • Sydney Sprint shows the potential of the Tour City tracks at its fullest, which gets me excited for the other tracks coming that were introduced to Tour around and after Sydney, especially Vancouver. New York Minute is just kind of there as a victim of being the first Tour City track.
  • This Wave has a problem with the track design and that's weird to say given Mario Kart, namely Snow Land and Sky-High Sundae. Snow Land new big shortcut through the trees feels like it was made from a ROM Hack since you have to try and avoid out of bounds zones next to and above the shortcut which makes it extremely annoying, especially when you can see yourself making the jump into the Ice Lake when not for Lakitu. Sundae on 150cc or below has problems where getting hit by an item can actually make you miss jumps because the jumps can't make it there on their own.
  • Waluigi Pinball is as good as ever, I do miss the sound that plays when you enter the end of the Pinball section but everything else is there
  • Kalimari Desert changing layouts every lap like the Tour City tracks is enjoyable.
  • Mario Circuit 3 just plays it safe, it's not even like Toad Circuit where 200cc gets so much better.
  • I'm surprised they kept the cliff shortcut for Mushroom Gorge when it was originally unintentional but makes it so much more fun to try and pull off and unlike Snow Land actually visually tells you what you have to do.

Wave 3 is out and this is the most well rounded DLC Wave yet, I don't have any negative thoughts on any of the tracks and they are all enjoyable, especially 3DS Rainbow Road.

However the Star of the show has to be Customisable Items I still remember years ago thinking it wasnt possible but glad Im wrong, this added so much replayability to the game, especially in Team Races where you can allocate Items to specific Teams

Wave 4 has some heavy hitters this time. Singapore, Amsterdam and Bangkok look like amazing Tour tracks. Waluigi Stadium, DK Snowboard Cross and DS Mario Circuit will be amazing to drive through again, Yoshis Island looks very creative and Riverside Park did get its layout neutered unfortunately but it has an amazing visual upgrade

Can't wait for it to come out tomorrow, will play it after work

While it probably doesn't matter as much to most people as the tracks, I have to admit that new characters being added with the remaining releases has definitely boosted my interest in seeing what the last four waves will have. It's a nice bonus on top of basically getting an entire second game's worth of content.

(also if they give us Fox and Captain Falcon I will probably be playing this game forever, just sayin')

Latest Posts

Back