Mario Kart 8

• Thread starter Brend
  • 1,093 comments
Got my second top 10 tonight. This time it's on Cheese Land. Pretty proud of the time other than a massive fail at the final shortcut, which cost me about .25 and most likely 5th worldwide. I'm gonna continue to time trial this track over the next few days and see if I can potentially get 1:44.9xx.

WVW69iWm4zMH9ZUo6H

Also still on the top 10 on Mute City, but I've improved my time to a 1:50.380, or 7th worldwide.

I didn't really want to bump this thread but I felt this was significant enough.

22a5ef158bf43c157ade05aba93a6c9c.jpg

I've been at it on this track on and off for the past week and put in about 12 hours total of playtime here. Went from the 1:16.1 I had last week to this. Best splits give me a 1:13.9, or a tenth from World Record. :eek:

I didn't really want to bump this thread but I felt this was significant enough.

I've been at it on this track on and off for the past week and put in about 12 hours total of playtime here. Went from the 1:16.1 I had last week to this. Best splits give me a 1:13.9, or a tenth from World Record. :eek:
Nicely done bud. 👍

I've been making kart builds for each character that suit the physical attributes of them all including the Mii outfits like Mega-Man. Might post them here if anyone is interested.

I've done a couple of combos for each Yoshi.

Incredible man, keep it up.

Though this is quite funny on how much 200cc is different to 150cc for some players. If we did 150cc, I'd be too slow to keep up with you but in 200cc, I can suddenly compete with amazing players like you. I actually entered an over 20000 VR lobby the other day, and I was able to stay competitive with them, even got a few top 3s and a 1st :P.

I've done a couple of combos for each Yoshi.

Incredible man, keep it up.

Though this is quite funny on how much 200cc is different to 150cc for some players. If we did 150cc, I'd be too slow to keep up with you but in 200cc, I can suddenly compete with amazing players like you. I actually entered an over 20000 VR lobby the other day, and I was able to stay competitive with them, even got a few top 3s and a 1st :P.
It does make sense if you think about it, most racing games that have multiple speed classes do tend to have different strategies that are needed to be adapted in order to win.

E.g: Fire Hopping isn't really a favorable technique at 200cc whereas at 150cc it's used by all top players.

I find MK8s Battle Mode to be a very underrated feature, I have had so much fun with it and would recommend it with Friends. I played this mode a lot with my friends.

For starters, it makes all of us in an even playing field, I have very little experience in this mode and some of these people know shooters like the back of their head. So instead of me winning with a 100% win rate against them (I'm serious, 100%). We are very even with matches not over until we are down to our very last lives and time. The bigger maps IMO, make it a much more compelling experience than the smaller maps. Sure 1v1s are absolutely HORRIBLE with these maps but bring more than 1 friend and they really work, it's like you are in this long waiting hunting game and it gets more intense whenever you get closer to your opponent. Sure action is reduced but I get a sense of drama as I play this game mode.

Overall, if you happen to have more than 1 friend (online works too), I insist trying it out :).

I really don't enjoy battle mode, I have gave it a go a few times but I just find it incredibly boring.

It sounds like you proper enjoy it though RESHI so that's good. The likeliness to a 'hunt' seems spot on.

I like it a bit better than the uncontrolled mayhem of the earlier games, but I was never much of a fan of battle mode in the first place. Also, the update that added the map on the TV was necessary to make it worthwhile.

I like it a bit better than the uncontrolled mayhem of the earlier games, but I was never much of a fan of battle mode in the first place. Also, the update that added the map on the TV was necessary to make it worthwhile.
Yeah, the fact players outside of the game-pad couldn't see any sort of map was odd to say the least. :lol:

Polish_20220210_095416637.png

With the announcement that Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is getting DLC Pass thatll eventually double the track count and basically be a new game on top of an existing one. It's time for a thread revival.

I'm interested in seeing how this goes, also confirmed well be getting tracks from Mario Kart Tour.

I hope we get more tracks with Water involved, Mario Kart 8s DLC prior was basically non-existent

Last edited:
I am a bit surprised that new DLC is coming out so late in the game's life, but it's still got a pretty high online playerbase thanks to the regular competitive events Nintendo hosts for it, so it does make sense rather than making another game that would be mostly similar to the current one. And I'm certainly not against a policy of providing extended support for a popular game, especially since it's going to be spaced out over this year and next.

We pretty much already know what is in Wave 1:

Golden Mushroom Cup:

Paris Promenade
3DS Toad Circuit
N64 Choco Mountain
Wii Coconut Mall

Lucky Cat Cup:

Tokyo Blur
DS Shroom Ridge
GBA Sky Garden
Ninja Hideaway

I'm glad we're getting Ninja Hideaway. I saw gameplay footage from Tour and it looks like a really cool track.

If this pass is pretty much Mario Kart 9, I predict we'll see GBA Rainbow Road near the end of it.

Last edited:
I saw someone in the comments call the Booster Course pack the Bloated Corpse pack, thought it was kind of funny.

But to be honest I’m very excited. The sheer number of new courses on offer is impressive and should stave off any burning desire for MK9 for quite a while.

Wii Coconut Mall
For this circuit's BGM alone it is worth paying for.

But please, please, please can I have more customisation in setting up single player races? Optional custom settings? Why can't I have fun choosing my own opponents and custom number of laps? It is a crime that Rainbow Road N64 is a point-to-point race.

Last edited:
For this circuit's BGM alone it is worth paying for.

But please, please, please can I have more customisation in setting up single player races? Optional custom settings? Why can't I have fun choosing my own opponents and custom number of laps? It is a crime that Rainbow Road N64 is a point-to-point race.
If we ever got A.I customisation. I'd just have 9 Kart races with all the Yoshi's

I think making N64 Rainbow Road point to point is a good thing. I consider the original version the worst Rainbow Road given how little there is involved in the track and takes too long. They fixed both these issues with the new iteration. Granted I wouldn't mind if it was 2 Laps instead of Point to Point

Last edited:
That's the point of the custom settings; I can do it my way and go for a longer race at RR64, you can do it your way staying with the P2P.

Interesting detail on DS Shroom Ridge

MK8-Course-DS_ShroomRidge.jpg

Notice the wind coming out of the gap. Probably indicating a Wind Pipe for a potential shortcut or Gliding section

Interesting detail on DS Shroom Ridge

View attachment 1113093

Notice the wind coming out of the gap. Probably indicating a Wind Pipe for a potential shortcut or Gliding section
The edge of the cliff looks like it's sloped upwards a bit too, so it wouldn't surprise me if that's a spot where you could mushroom boost off and do a bit of a corner cut (or in my case, fall short and look like a doofus).

The edge of the cliff looks like it's sloped upwards a bit too, so it wouldn't surprise me if that's a spot where you could mushroom boost off and do a bit of a corner cut (or in my case, fall short and look like a doofus).
200cc: "You need to Mushroom Boost for your shortcuts?"

****, I forgot about that. Drifting all these added circuits at 200cc speed...

sloth meet GIF
With 200cc time trials in Deluxe, are we gonna go back and forth in Time Trials like we did in Mario Odyssey :lol:

If so I hope you don't beat my attempt at DS Tick Tock Clock. I lucked out and don't think I can replicate what happened in the final corner

Last edited:
With 200cc time trials in Deluxe, are we gonna go back and forth in Time Trials like we did in Mario Odyssey :lol:

If so I hope you don't beat my attempt at DS Tick Tock Clock. I lucked out and don't think I can replicate what happened in the final corner
That was fun in Odyssey! I dunno, I don't love that the TTs in this game are standing three-lap affairs. I prefer endless single-lap runs.

I didn't regard myself as competitive in the MK8 TT competitions we had years ago, so you might be safe. :)

For some reason I'm unable to send links I copied but regardless. It has been confirmed it's possible to play the tracks without buying the DLC online.

If you don't have the DLC, it can still pop up if you choose Random and when playing with friends with the DLC you can still race on it if they pick a DLC track and it gets selected.

Last edited:
For some reason I'm unable to send links I copied but regardless. It has been confirmed it's possible to play the tracks without buying the DLC online.

If you don't have the DLC, it can still pop up if you choose Random and when playing with friends with the DLC you can still race on it if they pick a DLC track and it gets selected.
It would have been pretty foolish to fragment the playerbase by preventing people without the DLC from joining lobbies. In fact, this is a pretty good way to get more people to buy in by giving a chance to try some of the new tracks first.

GBA Sky Garden is now in Mario Kart Tour and well likely get a similar version for the DLC.

Disappointed with the changes and they seemed to have streamlined it which hinders the charm of it originally being complex. I did notice a drop off before the final hairpin which could be used for an Ultra Shortcut.

Design choices look pretty but.

Last edited:

Few Days before Wave 1 of the DLC and we have some last minute changes.

Graphics appear to be more sharper which was the main criticism of the DLC looking too much like Tour.

Tracks still have that cartoon artstyle you see in Mario Kart Tour but they definitely look a lot better and fit on the Switch

Granted I bet these visuals were finalised early on and they just used early development footage from before. I doubt the graphic upgrade came from criticism as that be only a few weeks time frame.

Last edited:
Screenshot_20220317-090454_Chrome.jpg

Interesting tip it about the Tour course hours before maintenance.

Judging by this, the Tour Track variants will either be combined into 1 overall course, or all the Tour Track variants overlap with multiple paths like in Yoshi Valley. It's interesting that they pointed out Ninja Hideaway as first time you choose your own path because Ninja Hideaway already had that gimmick, is there a 2nd variant not in Tour yet we get to drive on?

Back