Martial Arts

Jersey
<--- This place
CHALLENGER1ON1
Do you take martial arts? I am testing for my black belt in Taekwondo in a few weeks and I've been taking Taekwondo for three years, just in case you were wondering.

I took 4 1/2 years of Kung Fu. The school closed down at the end of last year after the instructor went overseas for work. Two other students started their own classes but I haven't been to them because I know one will teach it wrong, and the other stopped running his classes after people didn't go.

I have 1 year of experience in jiu jitsu.
It was a school course, (awesome school) and we were able to get it done in one semester because we did it every day. I learned a lot and it was an incredible amount of fun. I was also the fittest that I've ever been in my life at the end of the course.
I'm taking 2 years worth of studies next year and I will be incredibly fit by the end of it.
I'll also get into sparring which would be the most useful technique to have in a real fight.

I used to take Judo classes when I was a kid. I got kicked out for being to aggressive. Work that out!

I do Tai chi sometimes if I get to work early with the old codgers on the street in town. It's a nice way to cool down after a cycle.

I read a lot of martial arts manual out of interest but I'm more of a brawler than a composed fighter, thought my lightsaber skills are pretty good. ;)

I used to take Judo classes when I was a kid. I got kicked out for being to aggressive. Work that out!

I do Tai chi sometimes if I get to work early with the old codgers on the street in town. It's a nice way to cool down after a cycle.

I read a lot of martial arts manual out of interest but I'm more of a brawler than a composed fighter, thought my lightsaber skills are pretty good. ;)

I had a friend that completed taekwondo at the same place. apparently he was overpowered and decided to quit. He broke a cinder block in one try without effort!

I was put up against a kid with asthma when I was doing competition training and ended up causing him an attack which got me kicked out. :grumpy:

I've recently been trying to harness the power of Qi which isn't as easy as it sound.

I was put up against a kid with asthma when I was doing competition training and ended up causing him an attack which got me kicked out. :grumpy:

I've recently been trying to harness the power of Qi which isn't as easy as it sound.

I was put up against a very irritating kid in sparring who would only punch, yet no one said a thing. he would put his fat grubby fingers in my face and when I would bring my knee up to kick he landed a sharp kick in my groin. I was fuming mad. I wanted to land a punch in his jaw so badly. Not only that, but when we were asked to do sit ups he would always move his head up and down and finish 20 in 3 seconds. The annoyance doesn't end there: he would brag about finishing fast and say crap like "wow, you're all still doing it? I must be good at situps!" :mad::mad::mad::mad:
By the way, how is harnessing Qi not easy?

Using Qi power is draining. Ever tried pushing someone over and to the ground using just 2 fingers? It takes a lot of practice.

Using Qi power is draining. Ever tried pushing someone over and to the ground using just 2 fingers? It takes a lot of practice.

Interesting...I must look into this.

Taekwondo is not really challenging, it's just repetitive. but for three years my kicks have really perfected and I am somewhat fitter now.

I keep fit by cycling everyday. I've found that breaking up fights is much more fun than actually fighting. It has the same adrenaline rush but without any of the moral consequence.

I keep fit by cycling everyday. I've found that breaking up fights is much more fun than actually fighting. It has the same adrenaline rush but without any of the moral consequence.

I have broken up a fight once, only for it to continue moments later. My dad says that if I'm ever in a fight with a good reason to he would bail me out. otherwise I should never be an instigator.

I was in 2nd degree green belt in taekwondo when I was in 5th grade.
I was a mere crybaby back then, especially when I sparred with the other students. :ouch:

Man, it's been a long time. Taekwondo.... good memories. High school came and that lead to Track and Field. Now I just work out and can't remember a single thing that I learned from it:tup:

Black belt Kyokushinkai karate

...where a black belt is still worth something.

I also do Taekwondo. In Germany there are several smaller TKD associations besides the ITF and the DTU (the official WTF organ). It's quite difficult to obtain a black belt in this two "official" associations. The Kukkiwon (WTF) rules allow anyone with a 4th degree Kukkiwon black belt to hold their own black belt exams outside the DTU. As a result, it's relatively easy to get a black belt there. You go to a "freelancer", pay him about 250 € and never fail the exam, no matter how bad you are. Inside the official association it's cheaper (80 €), but much harder. I. e. if you fail to break one of the three boards (spruce wood, 30x30x3 cm), that's already enough not to pass the exam. In the nineties we had failure rates of 80 %.

...where a black belt is still worth something.

I also do Taekwondo. In Germany there are several smaller TKD associations besides the ITF and the DTU (the official WTF organ). It's quite difficult to obtain a black belt in this two "official" associations. The Kukkiwon (WTF) rules allow anyone with a 4th degree Kukkiwon black belt to hold their own black belt exams outside the DTU. As a result, it's relatively easy to get a black belt there. You go to a "freelancer", pay him about 250 € and never fail the exam, no matter how bad you are. Inside the official association it's cheaper (80 €), but much harder. I. e. if you fail to break one of the three boards (spruce wood, 30x30x3 cm), that's already enough not to pass the exam. In the nineties we had failure rates of 80 %.

the first time I heard of the WTF I couldn't stop laughing. Then I got over it.

When I was younger I took Karate and became a Black Belt by the age of 15.I ended up dropping out due to me getting a job the next year.I had a blast those 9 years though.

Since I'm much older now and my knees aren't what they used to be,I'll practice Wing Chun once a week.It mainly focuses on taking your opponent out very quickly and using punches rather than kicks.

Back