FoolKiller

Don't be a fool.
Premium
United States
Frankfort, KY
GTP_FoolKiller
FoolKiller1979
Welcome to Level 7.

So, taking place after the events in The Avengers Agent Coulson returns from the dead. He heads up a group of special agent, non-super humans who go after the cases that aren't metahuman-worthy. Think of it as a team full of people like Black Widow and Hawkeye.

A few things I am gathering from this are: First and foremost, this is being executive produced by Joss Whedon. It will work within the overall Avengers story. Second, the writing and production teams are the same ones that Joss Whedon has done TV with before. If you combine the resumes of all the staff you will have everyone of Joss Whedon's shows in there. This shows with lines like, "Someone really wanted our initials to spell out SHIELD." We know from Iron Man 2 that isn't true, but the line is great for a laugh, and ultimately plays into the long-term storyline from the comics where SHIELD's sister agency, dealing strictly with alien invasion threats from a space station, is named SWORD. Considering the direction the films are headed (Thanos and Guardians of the Galaxy) it is very possible we will see SWORD before the movies are played out. It works even better if Marvel can get the Skrull and Kree rights back from Fox's Fantastic Four license.

The most important point of note is Coulson is alive. The way his body was never shown and Fury lied to the Avengers about his Captain America cards, it seems like this was planned well in advance. I haven't seen Iron Man 3 yet, so if he is in there then just ignore this paragraph.

But what this TV show does is allow Whedon and Marvel to introduce side characters from the Marvel universe. You know, the guys you never see in a movie but somehow make it into the videogame. This can be important for introducing future characters to The Avengers films. For instance, someone like Hank Pym, aka Ant/Giant Man. Find your actor to play him, give him a two or three episode story arc on the show, then bring him out in a movie.

Then there is the line, "We're not the only ones interested in people with powers." There are so many terrorist organizations trying to make metas into the next WMD in the comics. It ranges from groups like Hydra and AIM to small time superthug gangs interested just in stealing money, and even alien races trying to find a way to overcome The Avengers. Even our militaries. I can't count the number of gamma-radiated heroes and villains that are the result of General Ross's over zealous attempts at killing the Hulk.

How far into the Marvel universe they can go will likely be determined by how the licensing for various characters to Sony and Fox work, but if by being a TV show they can touch on characters they can't put into the movies, then they have three-quarters of a century of stories to tap into.

And there is one, very important, last thing to remember.

"Don't touch Lola."

About time someone made this thread. I didn't want to be the geek this time around. :lol:

I'm expecting so much from this it's kind of ridiculous. It already looks like Power Man is going to be in the pilot, so I'm looking forward to that plenty. But I do wonder if they'll keep the lore going strong by having mentions of any of the "big guys" just to move things along or give it that feeling that even though this is their own thing, this is the universe they're in and these guys are going to be mentioned from time to time regardless.

I'm thinking Sam has to make at least one actual appearance and not just something in a flashback like what the trailer hinted at. Or maybe a flashback will be enough if it's used to explain how Coulson survived.

One of the best things (and perhaps the worse) is this stands very little chance of being cancelled after the first season unless the ratings absolutely stink, which I doubt they will. But it absolutely needs to be accessible because we all can't be comic book nerds. Hopefully it isn't too watered down because of that because if they just start introducing fictional characters based on "real" fictional characters I'm not sure how that's going to gel with continuity.

About time someone made this thread. I didn't want to be the geek this time around. :lol:

I'm expecting so much from this it's kind of ridiculous. It already looks like Power Man is going to be in the pilot, so I'm looking forward to that plenty. But I do wonder if they'll keep the lore going strong by having mentions of any of the "big guys" just to move things along or give it that feeling that even though this is their own thing, this is the universe they're in and these guys are going to be mentioned from time to time regardless.

I'm thinking Sam has to make at least one actual appearance and not just something in a flashback like what the trailer hinted at. Or maybe a flashback will be enough if it's used to explain how Coulson survived.

One of the best things (and perhaps the worse) is this stands very little chance of being cancelled after the first season unless the ratings absolutely stink, which I doubt they will. But it absolutely needs to be accessible because we all can't be comic book nerds. Hopefully it isn't too watered down because of that because if they just start introducing fictional characters based on "real" fictional characters I'm not sure how that's going to gel with continuity.

Think X-Files meets Heroes meets Jason Bourne.

Basically, this has every single ingredient needed to be a HUGE success: A proven and great writing team, a tie into to a larger film franchise (in a way that is far bigger than anything has done before), a built-in fan base from multiple mediums, super spies, super heroes, and a new Disney XD cartoon covering the main Avengers film plot lines so that they can avoid directly focusing on it.

I don't think that they will just thrust us into new heroes without explaining them. That is part of SHIELD's gig, finding them, discovering how and why they are what they are, and then determining how to neutralize them if it becomes necessary. There is enough in the Marvel universe that the films don't touch on and isn't licensed out that this could spend 90% of the time not getting close to the movies while still adding depth to the overall Marvel Cinematic Universe.

The one thing the films did that made them standout was just say, "hey, this stuff exists in our world. Accept it or move on. It is not reality." It was a gamble to stay more true to the nature of the comics than any movie before. It paid off huge. But now this show gets to give us a look at the regular human view. We see how the world around the heroes is reacting to them. The trailer showed the kid looking at the action figures. You will likely see news reports that discuss the events from the films, perhaps background images of headlines about hero sightings. Imagine that after Captain America comes out the show just has background news footage or headlines about events.

The huge payoff for a TV show is that it's like the mortar between the bricks of the films. The production team has direct access to the film info and should be able to bring everything together.

The big trick now will be balance. You need references, but don't count on your entire audience to be movie fans. Don't rely on the films and don't make the films rely on this.

Essentially, this can be a huge flop or a huge success.

The one thing I am glad of is that it is on ABC. They let their show runners run wild, sometimes to the detriment of the show. If you watch Once Upon A Time you can see how Disney/ABC let them have free range to alter the stories in some huge ways. If they will let that show do that with franchises the company was built on imagine what they will be willing to let this show do in an attempt to make one of the greatest film successes ever even bigger.

Looks interesting indeed, the best part is that it's on terrestrial TV and fits my work schedule so I can watch it.:dopey:

Anyone else watching the premier? Their plane looks completely ridiculous. :lol:

Jet.jpg

edit: This first episode must be going on at the same time that Iron Man 3 takes place. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Best guess? Life Model Decoy, which was mentioned specifically by Stark at the beginning of The Avengers.

http://marvel.wikia.com/Life-Model_Decoy

Loved seeing the creation of Graviton. I fully expect him to play a massive role in the future. Why else throw in the teaser at the end?

But didn't Whedon already debunk that at Comic Con? I'll admit that I haven't been watching, but I have read an article that Whedon expressly said that somewhere around that time.

But didn't Whedon already debunk that at Comic Con? I'll admit that I haven't been watching, but I have read an article that Whedon expressly said that somewhere around that time.

And no writer/director has ever lied to hide plot points.

TB
Looks like I've got something to TiVo and watch with the kids! :drool:

That's what I thought. Too many sexual Innuendos for their age though. Other than the not so family friendly themes that pop up in what should be a family friendly show, it's entertaining enough.

That's what I thought. Too many sexual Innuendos for their age though. Other than the not so family friendly themes that pop up in what should be a family friendly show, it's entertaining enough.

No clue when it airs, so don't know if its in a time block to indicate family-friendly. I expected TV-PG though, about the same as other Whedon shows.

Since my daughter is still a toddler there isn't a big question of what I expect from shows. Right now the most risqué thing she wants to watch is the animated Justice League on Netflix.

Was defiantly graviton, that hand (and back story) seemed legit. Movie tv cross over? Would seem weird for reruns lol

Was defiantly graviton, that hand (and back story) seemed legit. Movie tv cross over? Would seem weird for reruns lol
No doubt it's Graviton. Same substance, same scientist, similar incident. The hand at the end was just to not thoroughly confuse non-comic fans when he shows up later on.

I'm not sure what you mean by it would be weird for reruns. The show is serialized. An ongoing enemy threat has a beginning in any story. Currently the threat appears to be Centipede/Extremis, but don't be surprised if Graviton plays a role in the season finale or season 2 (requiring an Avenger or two, possibly a higher active duty SHIELD agent, to join in). The way they altered his backstory now, he will probably focus his anger at Coulson, making him to not quite be the global threat he could be in the comics. The only question is, how do a handful of mere mortals battle Graviton?

Yeh, surprised extremis made an appearance so soon, would prefer some new marvel elements first. And by A2, Starks worked out extremis so "flower lady" seems to be trying to add to the problem rather than solve the original code. Scorch was short lived too. One thing im starting to dig is the other side to coulson, he seems to be thinking alot, working everything out and figuring something else out aswell. Finally, whats going to happen between sky and ward now???

Ps i ment that if there is a cross over, what if people miss the show or the movie which each other ties in (found objects, characters, events etc) that cant just appear and disappear, it is all one universe after all.

Ps i ment that if there is a cross over, what if people miss the show or the movie which each other ties in (found objects, characters, events etc) that cant just appear and disappear, it is all one universe after all.
Some people didn't see all the movies and got confused at points. Thor made the Red Skull/Hydra energy source seem reasonable as already existing in the Marvel universe, but people who missed Thor found it ridiculous. And it works that way in the comics. You get a footnote referring you to where things came from, but you don't get the full story without reading at least a few other titles.

The series has definitely gotten a bit better each episode after starting somewhat flat. Having a repeat of the pilot last week after being only five? episodes in was not cool.

The series has definitely gotten a bit better each episode after starting somewhat flat. Having a repeat of the pilot last week after being only five? episodes in was not cool.

Pretty much everything was on a break last week, but yeah, tv schedules really have gotten more and more annoying the past few years.

I'm still not 100% sure how I feel about this show. The tie-ins to the movies have been a lot of fun and Coulson is always an enjoyable character to watch. I cringe at every line from the two science-geek characters though. They are too cheesy and I find them both very annoying.

Everyone complains about the mid-fall break every year. It's not new, it's not getting crazier. It's the World Series. It sucks, but baseball fans are passionate and numerous enough to affect nearly every broadcast channel.

In fact, more shows every year, particularly reality, are going to fall and/or Spring half season runs, with little or no breaks. Heck, this year saw the birth of the broadcast TV summer season show.

Baseball is one sport that could disappear tomorrow and I could not give a single care.

My brother says the same about basketball and football.

To each their own, but we all must deal with the effect on our TV viewing. Fans do it by watching the game. The rest have to find something new to do for that time.

So there was no episode last week and there isn't one on last night...anyone know what's happened? has it stopped for Christmas?

American shows always have a mid season break with a large cliff hanger in the middle. Walking Dead is the same, thats also well annoying, due back january. But i beileve Shield is back tonight in the UK, not sure if we're behind america by any though.

I'm pretty sure there was a new episode this week in the U.S. I didn't get a chance to watch it yet though.

There was a new episode this week. I somewhat watched it, but could not offer much of a review. I had multiple people bugging me while I was trying to pay attention to the TV, but was not able to split my attention between the TV and the people bugging me.

Yes, there was an episode. Pretty good too. Potential new team member and big old cliffhanger.

Back