Mass Effect: Andromeda - March 21, 2017

• Thread starter Techy
  • 87 comments
One gripe. If the Nomad is going to be that gaudy and that slow, can we have a patch that turns it into a wood paneled 1984 AMC Hornet wagon? Even with the smog-choked 258, I think the Hornet would smoke the nomad in a race.
Are you driving it in 6-wheel-drive mode? Because otherwise, it's pretty fast, I think. At least fast enough for the terrain.

Most of the mods and augmentations I've been buying and creating at the moment are for the nomad. It's the only thing worth developing until I can make level X gear.

Speaking of that, we really don't need ten levels of gear, do we? That's one part I wish was done a little better. I really dont want to use good augmentations on level 5 gear I won't be keeping for long.

Edit: oh yeah, the Black Widow is totally worth it, the only sniper rifle you'll need. That things a beast. 👍

Last edited:
Edit: oh yeah, the Black Widow is totally worth it, the only sniper rifle you'll need. That things a beast. 👍

The original Widow is better in my opinion. Only has one shot in the magazine, but hits so much harder than the Black Widow. The mass of one bullet from the Widow is equivalent to an entire dump truck.

Put the old-school thermal clip on it and some stability mods, and you have an unlimited ammo sniper rifle that can kil most unshielded grunts like the chosen in a single headshot. You will never need an ammo crate ever again.

Also, a good side conversation you can have is with Bradley at Pothomos on Eos. Talk to him while wearing N7 Armour.

The original Widow is better in my opinion. Only has one shot in the magazine, but hits so much harder than the Black Widow. The mass of one bullet from the Widow is equivalent to an entire dump truck.

Put the old-school thermal clip on it and some stability mods, and you have an unlimited ammo sniper rifle that can kil most unshielded grunts like the chosen in a single headshot. You will never need an ammo crate ever again.

Also, a good side conversation you can have is with Bradley at Pothomos on Eos. Talk to him while wearing N7 Armour.
It's not all that more powerful, the widow is 758 at level IV, and the black widow is 692.

At level X the black widow is over 900, all with better accuracy, faster rate of fire, lower weight, better max ammo, better clip size than the Widow.

Edit: plus you have to look at augmentation slots, I don't have the stats for them both at level X, but at level IV the black widow has 5 and the widow only has 3.

Last edited:
Just finished the game and started a New Game+ in which a bug with the game not removing quest items from your inventory has got me in a place where I could continue, but I don't want to until a patch fixes it. Aaaaand here is my two cents on this new galactic venture, put in a practical listicule format.

• The writing is a lot more solid than that of the basic trilogy - we'll have to see how BiowarEA will handle the eventual sequels, but they can't do worse than what they did with Mass Effect 2 (sorry guys, I loved that game too, but it's a mess). In the original trilogy there were so many characters holding the Idiot Ball for so long that the game's main plotline sometimes felt like the World Rugby Tournament For the Mentally Impaired, and the Paragon/Renegade morality system deprived the player of any real moral agency by essentially giving you a clearly marked "good guy" vs. "bad guy" choice in any situation. Andromeda is a lot more nuanced, and the way the various plots progress and the characters mature far more readable and, yet, believable; the possibility of choosing the tone of your answer, instead of its morial orientation, allows the player to actually steer the conversation in the way they prefer and limit the amount of times they will eyeroll at what comes out of Ryder's mouth to a minimum, while multiplying the number of difficult but meaningful choices; and while I understand why people in the Mass Effect fandom can be so vocal in their defense of Shepard, let's admit it, the Commander's characterization (which was purposefully kept to a bare minimum, until it became impossible to do so) was pretty bland. Some dialogues, however, are about as lifeless as Habitat 5, and there is very little exposition on what actually happened in the 14 months between the Nexus mutiny and the Hyperion's arrival in Andromeda.
  • The gameplay has some ideas which, if properly developed, could be interesting. It's a nice mix of elements of Mass Effect 1 (which is still my favorite game of the series) - like the vehicle exploration, the cover system, the separate cooldown for each ability and the ability to loot mountains of scrap and pieces of equipments to use, deconstruct or sell - and the latter two games of the original trilogy, but at the same time it's a lot more frantic and, well, mobile. Getting rid of classes was for the best, and the new approach to levelling is a lot more RPG-like than it was in the past two Mass Effect games. However, I can't help but think that depriving the player of any control over the squadmates' use of their powers - a decision no doubt dictated by the increased pace of the gameplay - is regrettable. Still, it's a pretty decent formula that won't probably require excessive changes in the future.
  • The crafting system could provide some interesting mechanics (and I love my Vintage Heatsink weaponry), but as it is now it's profoundly counterintuitive and, also, extremely glitchy. Contrarely to many professional commenters on the matter I don't believe the split between "research" and "development" to complicate things (and besides, it seems like the only way to allow the player to build different versions with different augmentations of the same piece of equipment), but I'm sure the interface can be streamlined, and the effects of many augmentations fixed. Also, by the end of your first playthrough you will likely be drowning in Milky Way tech points, while going around kett camps and angaran settlements scanning every piece of equipment with the desperate hope that you've missed something worth a few precious Heleus RPs.
  • Finally, there's the bad of the game. FaceFX clearly doesn't cut it anymore, the game is plagued by non-overlookable glitches that somehow made it past QA in a five years long development cycle, the sidequests are - for the most part - tedious fetch quests, and the AI, especially that of squadmates clearly needs a lot of polishing. All of this is hard to accept in a game which would otherwise have much to offer, although apparently borked is the new normal.

All of this means, in short, that I am not very pleased with this game overall, but I am more than willing to give the eventual sequel a chance if they can deliver a more refined product and/or fix the most prominent bugs in the game via patch - because I found the basic gameplay dynamics to be solid, the new narrative universe is really fascinating, and the plot got me hooked far more than the original trilogy ever managed to (although of course they could always kill Ryder at the beginning of Andromeda's sequel, have him resurrected after two years, and repeat the same old mistakes again). Perhaps, five years from now we'll all be chalking this up to Early Installment Weirdness.

Just finished the game and started a New Game+ in which a bug with the game not removing quest items from your inventory has got me in a place where I could continue, but I don't want to until a patch fixes it. Aaaaand here is my two cents on this new galactic venture, put in a practical listicule format.

• The writing is a lot more solid than that of the basic trilogy - we'll have to see how BiowarEA will handle the eventual sequels, but they can't do worse than what they did with Mass Effect 2 (sorry guys, I loved that game too, but it's a mess). In the original trilogy there were so many characters holding the Idiot Ball for so long that the game's main plotline sometimes felt like the World Rugby Tournament For the Mentally Impaired, and the Paragon/Renegade morality system deprived the player of any real moral agency by essentially giving you a clearly marked "good guy" vs. "bad guy" choice in any situation. Andromeda is a lot more nuanced, and the way the various plots progress and the characters mature far more readable and, yet, believable; the possibility of choosing the tone of your answer, instead of its morial orientation, allows the player to actually steer the conversation in the way they prefer and limit the amount of times they will eyeroll at what comes out of Ryder's mouth to a minimum, while multiplying the number of difficult but meaningful choices; and while I understand why people in the Mass Effect fandom can be so vocal in their defense of Shepard, let's admit it, the Commander's characterization (which was purposefully kept to a bare minimum, until it became impossible to do so) was pretty bland. Some dialogues, however, are about as lifeless as Habitat 5, and there is very little exposition on what actually happened in the 14 months between the Nexus mutiny and the Hyperion's arrival in Andromeda.
  • The gameplay has some ideas which, if properly developed, could be interesting. It's a nice mix of elements of Mass Effect 1 (which is still my favorite game of the series) - like the vehicle exploration, the cover system, the separate cooldown for each ability and the ability to loot mountains of scrap and pieces of equipments to use, deconstruct or sell - and the latter two games of the original trilogy, but at the same time it's a lot more frantic and, well, mobile. Getting rid of classes was for the best, and the new approach to levelling is a lot more RPG-like than it was in the past two Mass Effect games. However, I can't help but think that depriving the player of any control over the squadmates' use of their powers - a decision no doubt dictated by the increased pace of the gameplay - is regrettable. Still, it's a pretty decent formula that won't probably require excessive changes in the future.
  • The crafting system could provide some interesting mechanics (and I love my Vintage Heatsink weaponry), but as it is now it's profoundly counterintuitive and, also, extremely glitchy. Contrarely to many professional commenters on the matter I don't believe the split between "research" and "development" to complicate things (and besides, it seems like the only way to allow the player to build different versions with different augmentations of the same piece of equipment), but I'm sure the interface can be streamlined, and the effects of many augmentations fixed. Also, by the end of your first playthrough you will likely be drowning in Milky Way tech points, while going around kett camps and angaran settlements scanning every piece of equipment with the desperate hope that you've missed something worth a few precious Heleus RPs.
  • Finally, there's the bad of the game. FaceFX clearly doesn't cut it anymore, the game is plagued by non-overlookable glitches that somehow made it past QA in a five years long development cycle, the sidequests are - for the most part - tedious fetch quests, and the AI, especially that of squadmates clearly needs a lot of polishing. All of this is hard to accept in a game which would otherwise have much to offer, although apparently borked is the new normal.

All of this means, in short, that I am not very pleased with this game overall, but I am more than willing to give the eventual sequel a chance if they can deliver a more refined product and/or fix the most prominent bugs in the game via patch - because I found the basic gameplay dynamics to be solid, the new narrative universe is really fascinating, and the plot got me hooked far more than the original trilogy ever managed to (although of course they could always kill Ryder at the beginning of Andromeda's sequel, have him resurrected after two years, and repeat the same old mistakes again). Perhaps, five years from now we'll all be chalking this up to Early Installment Weirdness.

I dunno, I'm still kind of rustled that they took out the power wheel. I enjoyed stopping time and having a moment to catch my breath and plan out my next move. That's the only problem I've had so far.

Can't say I've encountered many bugs or glitches yet. What platform are you on? I'm on PS4.

I dunno, I'm still kind of rustled that they took out the power wheel. I enjoyed stopping time and having a moment to catch my breath and plan out my next move. That's the only problem I've had so far.

Can't say I've encountered many bugs or glitches yet. What platform are you on? I'm on PS4.

I'm on Xbox One and apart from the bug with the Movie Night quest, a glitch where a cutscene was triggered with an enemy still present in the area, an instance in which my character entered Peebee in the most literal sense and another in which I saw two Jaals, plus several instances of characters or objects not rendering at all, I haven't had any major issue. Although many times I've had conversation with people who were looking in a completely different direction (which I guess is a consequence of not having "talking heads" - Fallout 4 players, and modders, probably know all too well how complicated it is to handle conversations in a dynamic scenario).

I'm afraid PC guys are yet again getting the short end of the stick. The reasons for this have already been discussed at lenght, and I don't think there's any need to bring that up again.

And for a breather, I guess you can still use the weapon selection wheel? Unfortunately, the bottom half of the wheel (which could've been used for squadmates powers) has been assigned to "consumables". Which is great, but - look, couldn't you have used the d-pad for that?

Most of the mods and augmentations I've been buying and creating at the moment are for the nomad. It's the only thing worth developing until I can make level X gear.

Speaking of that, we really don't need ten levels of gear, do we? That's one part I wish was done a little better. I really dont want to use good augmentations on level 5 gear I won't be keeping for long.

You'll be getting your augs back when you deconstruct your weapons, tho. And tbh I've never had a real problem with gathering materials either, the only material which may be a source of concern is Element Zero, but you get some from every weapon you deconstruct, and enemies drop a lot of weapons after a while, so...

Last edited:
I'm on Xbox One and apart from the bug with the Movie Night quest, a glitch where a cutscene was triggered with an enemy still present in the area, an instance in which my character entered Peebee in the most literal sense and another in which I saw two Jaals, plus several instances of characters or objects not rendering at all, I haven't had any major issue. Although many times I've had conversation with people who were looking in a completely different direction (which I guess is a consequence of not having "talking heads" - Fallout 4 players, and modders, probably know all too well how complicated it is to handle conversations in a dynamic scenario).

I'm afraid PC guys are yet again getting the short end of the stick. The reasons for this have already been discussed at lenght, and I don't think there's any need to bring that up again.

And for a breather, I guess you can still use the weapon selection wheel? Unfortunately, the bottom half of the wheel (which could've been used for squadmates powers) has been assigned to "consumables". Which is great, but - look, couldn't you have used the d-pad for that?

You'll be getting your augs back when you deconstruct your weapons, tho. And tbh I've never had a real problem with gathering materials either, the only material which may be a source of concern is Element Zero, but you get some from every weapon you deconstruct, and enemies drop a lot of weapons after a while, so...
Yeah I figured that out today, about the getting the augmentations back. How high of level were you when you beat it? The thing that's bugging me is, to be able to make the best weapons and armor, you have to be level 80. I don't see me getting to level 80 in one play through, in fact I think I'm getting towards the end part and I'm only level 43. There's no reason for them to have 10 levels of weapons/armor.

I'm really enjoying the game, the male Ryder I'm playing as, he's really grown on me a lot. There are way too many fetch quests though, and the map system can sometimes be a pain when it's not really clear where your waypoint is. I have plenty of materials and minerals, I'm really just using an m8 avenger assault rifle and a black widow sniper rifle. With wide open planets like this, you can really cheese the game with a good sniper rifle. I can pick a lot of enemies off before they even attack me.

I agree it could be better in areas though.

I seem to be experiencing more glitches as the game goes on, but nothing totally serious. Although, sometimes I open a door on the ship and for a split second I'm faced with the darkness of space while the room finishes loading. :lol: One glitch, however, drives me up the walls. Every time I mine for minerals in the Nomad, SAM say's something along the lines of "Pathfinder, you can mine in this area...". Every. Single. Time.

Anyways, I have to say that after about 30 hours in, I consider this game better than the originals for many reasons. First and foremost, the open world layout and ability to actually do some exploring is appealing to me. I also very much enjoy the plot and characters. Many will not agree with this, but I think Ryder is a better, more interesting character with more personality than Shepherd was and I think many of the crewmates are better as well. Although, Garrus is hard to match. Looking forward to more.

Was also thinking last night, if this game takes place some 600 years after Shepherd's era, and Asari's can live hundreds of years, or sometimes more than 1000 years, maybe we can talk to Liara? I dunno if we ever manage to contact the Milky Way from Andromeda, but that would be cool to do.

Last edited:
Was also thinking last night, if this game takes place some 600 years after Shepherd's era, and Asari's can live hundreds of years, or sometimes more than 1000 years, maybe we can talk to Liara? I dunno if we ever manage to contact the Milky Way from Andromeda, but that would be cool to do.

Not happening unless Bioware picks a "canon" ending for the original trilogy, and they've repeatedly stated that they have no intention to do so.

There's...

the Quarian ark which is mentioned at the end of the game as having reached the Andromeda galaxy and supposedly departed after the first four arks, which managed to get out of the Milky Way just before the Reapers arrival themselves

but that's it.

Not happening unless Bioware picks a "canon" ending for the original trilogy, and they've repeatedly stated that they have no intention to do so.

There's...

the Quarian ark which is mentioned at the end of the game as having reached the Andromeda galaxy and supposedly departed after the first four arks, which managed to get out of the Milky Way just before the Reapers arrival themselves

but that's it.
Ah, well at the very least I hope they talk about the fate of the Milky Way. Maybe not so much the specific characters or events.

Must say I quite enjoy ME:A I'm about 50 hours in and have been more focused on side missions rather than the main mission.

The graphics are good, but experiencing some pop in last few planet's I explored, really weird as I did not experience that earlier in the game.
Some mistakes in texturing and object placement, but that won't spoil the fun.
And yes the facial animations could have been better, but there are more character glitches/bugs which caught my attention.

Started after mission conversation with Vetra and after the first sentence got teleported to another room to continue the conversation there. :odd:
Same happened with a conversation with Drack, by the end of the conversation another Drack spawned in.

The spawn system in the game is a bit buggy, encountered wildlife spawned in rocks, a few raiders that are spawned in the exact same spot.
The AI of the average enemy is what you'd expect "Average" almost Darwin Award worthy, making it incredibly easy for my sniper play style.
"Oh look, the body of my colleague who was relieved of his brain by a sniper, let's take the same defensive position he did." Thank you, for making the Heleus Cluster a bit smarter by removing yourself from the equation.

Luckily there are also smarter enemies, who prove more of a challenge.

Overall still very much enjoying the game by the way, these were just some weird things I encountered.

I guess I don't normally visit Amazon anymore for video games, when did they start offering digital codes for games? I looked today and saw Mass Effect Andromeda had a digital code available, they also had a hard copy for the same price. So tempted....it just so happens I have $64 in my amazon account.....

I have a question for you guys that have the game, would I really be missing out on much if I didn't buy the deluxe edition? I could care less about any special armor or weapons but I hear the deluxe offers more customization options for the Nomad. That might be a huge selling point for me, I love to customize things.

I guess I don't normally visit Amazon anymore for video games, when did they start offering digital codes for games? I looked today and saw Mass Effect Andromeda had a digital code available, they also had a hard copy for the same price. So tempted....it just so happens I have $64 in my amazon account.....

I have a question for you guys that have the game, would I really be missing out on much if I didn't buy the deluxe edition? I could care less about any special armor or weapons but I hear the deluxe offers more customization options for the Nomad. That might be a huge selling point for me, I love to customize things.
There's different paint jobs you can buy for the nomad in the base game. 3-4 was all I really needed, but there's more you can buy. You can research and develop mods for the nomad that have a permenant effect, like better boost and shields etc, stuff like that. So there's plenty of that stuff in the base game. I don't know what type of customizations the deluxe edition has, so I can't really say if that would be worth spending the extra money for just some paint jobs, or if it comes with other stuff.

I honestly don't think I'm buying too many deluxe editions of games anymore, unless I'm buying the game for the first time and want all the DLC for it right away.(or Forza 7, I'll buy the deluxe/ultimate edition of that).

I've bought too many deluxe editions, and it takes so long for that DLC to come out sometimes, I don't even feel like playing the game anymore. I like DLC, but I think I'll just buy it individually from now on. I know it's more expensive that way, but I've wasted more money buying Deluxe editions of games, that I never played the DLC for because I was done with the game.

I'll probably buy the regular version when I get back then, I will be gone all of next week. The 2.3 update for Elite Dangerous is supposed to drop next week too, probably next Tuesday, but I won't be back until the following weekend.

XB1/PS4 price is $39.99 at gamestop and Amazon, it's $49.99 for the Deluxe version. I bought the regular version, pretty great deal for a game that's a little over a month old.

Started playing this last night, I got as far as the new Citadel and did the side missions inside it. I saved right before I was going to board my new ship and head down to the first planet. Rather than go the biotic, vanguard or soldier route, this time I decided to play as an Infiltrator. I am really enjoying the story so far, aside from a few painful face animations, I think the plot is very engaging and I'm completely invested in the character's stories so far. The combat is fluid and fun as well.

I have a Black Widow I that I'm using, it's very powerful indeed. I've been crafting N7 armor just for the sake of unlocking the next higher level even though I'm already equipped with level two or three N7 armor, I think I'm going to just pour my resource points into the nomad now because I've been finding better armor than I've crafted. The only thing that makes crafting worthwhile are the augmentations you can add.

I think I'm at the mid point of the game, just finished A Trail of Hope on Aya, I'm done with just about all of the Havril mission except a collection mission and meeting the Roekar leader (which is on hold). Spent last night on Voeld (which I'm about 50% done with), got to the vault but I keep dying due to the cold. Don't know what I'm doing wrong. I go down the Gravity Elevator, activate all the stuff, door opens, I race through and by then I'm dead. Maybe I need a better Armor suit?

I have a Black Widow I that I'm using, it's very powerful indeed. I've been crafting N7 armor just for the sake of unlocking the next higher level even though I'm already equipped with level two or three N7 armor, I think I'm going to just pour my resource points into the nomad now because I've been finding better armor than I've crafted. The only thing that makes crafting worthwhile are the augmentations you can add.

I think I'm at the mid point of the game, just finished A Trail of Hope on Aya, I'm done with just about all of the Havril mission except a collection mission and meeting the Roekar leader (which is on hold). Spent last night on Voeld (which I'm about 50% done with), got to the vault but I keep dying due to the cold. Don't know what I'm doing wrong. I go down the Gravity Elevator, activate all the stuff, door opens, I race through and by then I'm dead. Maybe I need a better Armor suit?
You have to use the bubbles/shields in the vault to protect you from the cold.

You have to use the bubbles/shields in the vault to protect you from the cold.

Thanks, I was staying away from them because I thought the bubble shields caused damage, lol. It was late, right before I was going to bed anyway. I'll give it another go tonight, I want to get another outpost going there before I move on in the main storyline

An interesting look into the troubled development of the game
https://kotaku.com/the-story-behind-mass-effect-andromedas-troubled-five-1795886428

edit: a tl;dr... for 3.5 of the 5 years the game was in development, everything was smooth sailing. but truly, the last 18 months before release was where the bulk of the work we see now in the game's release version. this was mostly attributed to increased ambitions, as well as a troubled management and conflict / politics with adjoining BioWare studios.

Last edited:
Despite the troubled development, this game succeeded in what it set out to do. It is an exploration game at heart. I am enjoying this game and that aspect of it is superior to any previous ME game. The other area that absolutely shines is the combat and core gameplay. Seems to me that most issues with this game are cosmetic ones along with the occasional bug. The game has been patched several times to fix issues but honestly what game hasn't? I'm not saying the issues with this game are unwarranted but I do think they are way overblown. None of the issues are game-breaking or ruin the gameplay experience.

I don't know how many hours I have into this game, 50, 60, 70, 80? I'll have to check when I get the chance, I'm about to head to Meridian, but what I do know, is that none of those hours played have made me regret buying this game. I'm simply loving my time with it and I'm already planning a 2nd play through. I haven't touched the Multiplayer yet either but I plan on doing so this weekend.

Despite the troubled development, this game succeeded in what it set out to do. It is an exploration game at heart. I am enjoying this game and that aspect of it is superior to any previous ME game. The other area that absolutely shines is the combat and core gameplay. Seems to me that most issues with this game are cosmetic ones along with the occasional bug. The game has been patched several times to fix issues but honestly what game hasn't? I'm not saying the issues with this game are unwarranted but I do think they are way overblown. None of the issues are game-breaking or ruin the gameplay experience.

I don't know how many hours I have into this game, 50, 60, 70, 80? I'll have to check when I get the chance, I'm about to head to Meridian, but what I do know, is that none of those hours played have made me regret buying this game. I'm simply loving my time with it and I'm already planning a 2nd play through. I haven't touched the Multiplayer yet either but I plan on doing so this weekend.
Completely agree. I went into the game expecting it the be a let down (thanks to the internet blowing up about small things and attacking the game) but it turned out to be a very good game and I consider it better than the original 3 games. Had I never read reviews or any of the countless articles bashing the animations, I would have thought the game was a top-tier, high quality game (although I still think it is anyways).

The story maybe wasn't perfect, but the characters, exploration and visuals made it a wonderful experience overall. Real shame what happens when people unfairly gang up on a game. It'd be pretty sad to see the Mass Effect games vanish because of the poor reception of Andromeda.

Completely agree. I went into the game expecting it the be a let down (thanks to the internet blowing up about small things and attacking the game) but it turned out to be a very good game and I consider it better than the original 3 games. Had I never read reviews or any of the countless articles bashing the animations, I would have thought the game was a top-tier, high quality game (although I still think it is anyways).

The story maybe wasn't perfect, but the characters, exploration and visuals made it a wonderful experience overall. Real shame what happens when people unfairly gang up on a game. It'd be pretty sad to see the Mass Effect games vanish because of the poor reception of Andromeda.

And sadly this seems common place now and it happens with quite a few AAA titles. I completely understand why people seem to hate EA, Ubisoft and Activision but I'm one of those people that can see past big corporation hatred and appreciate the heart and soul and artistry that the programmers, coders, visual artists, writers and composers put into these games. I would say to a Mass Effect fan that chose to boycott this game: You are missing out on a great experience. I almost listened to the negative hype, I almost didn't buy this game. I am so, so glad I didn't. Luckily I have friends on XBL and people like prousonhairy in this thread that gave me the real scope about this game and I ended up buying it. It's been my favorite new game this year and I would've missed a fun experience. I hope to see more ME games in the future, hopefully negative nancy's don't kill off a great series over what I see as small cosmetic issues.

Even after seeing the article I still can't fathom why this game has received the amount of backlash it has. If anything I'm impressed with what they were able to do through all the upheavals.

Back