Matchmaking In Sport Mode Making The Game Overly Difficult

• Thread starter ChaseHQ
  • 60 comments
I'm DB. The spread between 1st and last is normally 30 seconds or more. I tend to qualify mid-pack. I'm convinced the only way to win a race is to win the pole.

30-35 races
0 wins
0 poles
0 fastest laps
0 clean races (some not my fault)

I'm starting to lose interest.

I'm DB. The spread between 1st and last is normally 30 seconds or more. I tend to qualify mid-pack. I'm convinced the only way to win a race is to win the pole.

30-35 races
0 wins
0 poles
0 fastest laps

30-35 races
0 wins
0 poles
0 fastest laps

Try to fight your opponents to go past then You will go down to DC soon where you will find youself quite competitive enough to get pole position. And at last win!

To be honest, if you spent all that time getting your SR high but you’re slow enough to be D, really you’re getting what you deserve.

This is a racing game, if you can‘t be clean AND fast, then you should expect to be beaten. Ideally, you should have your DR/SR close together.

Personally I love racing against the D/S drivers. They’re slow and easy to beat because they can’t/won’t race and think they’re doing something useful just getting their SR up while being beaten.

So get faster and you won’t be overmatched.

Nice way to be elitist bro. I’m sure he wishes he was as fast as you.

Getting SR S does not take that long just a couple of days for me with a few races. Will be interesting over time though. Whether or not the sport mode can keep it fun for the general audience or mainly for the faster guys/aliens. If the game wants to have a good population for the online over time I think it needs a big enough population where even the slower guys can enjoy some at least decent racing.

Can compare this to an FPS or whatever you want to. If the matchmaking has so few people that the new guys run into a brick wall of skilled players when they go online they might not feel any motivation to put in the time to improve and stay in it.

Honestly I think for such an online focused game it all hinges on the population and if it stays there after launch to avoid it becoming an eventual ghost town.

To be honest, if you spent all that time getting your SR high but you’re slow enough to be D, really you’re getting what you deserve.

This is a racing game, if you can‘t be clean AND fast, then you should expect to be beaten. Ideally, you should have your DR/SR close together.

Personally I love racing against the D/S drivers. They’re slow and easy to beat because they can’t/won’t race and think they’re doing something useful just getting their SR up while being beaten.

So get faster and you won’t be overmatched.

All I've been doing is trying to play the game as per the "racing etiquette" instructions in game. Which means I race clean, don't cut people up, back off without hitting other cars. Maybe I should race a tad more aggressive as there's no way i can set the high lap times in qualifying as I work more or less 7 days a week so don't have the time to put into the game that other people do. Only problem is if I was in a lower SR group i'd be irritated by the idiots ramming me left right & centre so at the moment this game is LOSE, LOSE for me whatever I do :(

They need to get rid of the region lock and the problem will be solved

There's a region lock? I played with people from South Africa yesterday and it went quite well. We are in the same time zone however so maybe that's what counts?

I got 28 races done. While they were mostly fun, if you are after the in-game achievements then it’s just overly depressing:

0 poles
0 wins
0 fastest laps
1 clean race

I'm DR C and SR S
1 pole
5 wins
2 fastest laps
LOts of clean race bonusses

I always have players with higher DR teamed up with me

This has saved me from starting this very same thread.

I am looking at this from the trophy point of view as these are the last trophies I have to complete before I get the platinum

I am currently a BS (funny initials) ;-) With the same lap time I have qualified 2nd with a 0.2 gap and gone on to win the race and then the next consecutive race I have been placed midfield with a 3 second gap to first!

So how does matchmaking actually work? And why are track limits not being respected? Yesterday at Nurburgring GP the chicane cutting was horrendous >:-(

So with pole positions apparently being a random thing how does one control them so the trophy is achievable? At this point in time I am at a complete loss to figure out how to race clean, win races and get poles.

Anyone have any insight into this?

Hey buddy 👍

I don't know how matchmaking works, but I've not had any issues myself. I've only had GTS a week, and I've had 8 on line races so far - 6 wins, 6 poles & 5 fastest laps. I'm also DRB SRS. Wins and poles were super easy in the 1st few races (I was getting pole by at least 2-3s when DRD/E, and then driving away from the field), but the qualifying gap narrowed significantly after I moved to DRC and started getting matched against a mix of DRC's and B's.

Putting a really good effort in to qualifying is vital IMO for a couple of reasons...

1) You start higher up the grid
2) You learn the car/track specifics - what lines gain/lose you time, how hard you can push and not kill the tyres, the brake points, what kerbs to avoid etc

I ran one race at Interlagos last night and my qualifying time (1'32.4) was c.1s faster than 2nd. It took me around 20 mins to get in to the 32's, and another 40 to find the other half a second. But during that time, my consistency improved massively... by the end I was running every lap in the 32's.

One of the reasons I only have 8 races in total is I'd rather spend an hour in qualifying, set a good time, start on pole and win the race than jump straight in and come mid pack in 3 races. I use my friends list and the stars list to work out what time I need to feel confident of being competitive.

The one time I didn't put the effort in to qualifying I ended up 14th on the grid, worked my way up to 6th, got punted a couple of times, fell back to 14th, and then worked my way back up to 4th... it was pretty wild mid pack :lol:

Also, I'm pretty much only racing GRP3 - I really enjoy driving the RSR and the tracks PD have put up for these have been ones I like. I also think these cars attract a better level of driver as they are harder to drive - you can't just bung them in to a corner and then stamp on thee gas.

Hope your experience improves :cheers:

So let's put some context here. Did you do the Alsace or Nurburgring races in the Audi TT? If so what were your qualifying times? For future reference if we are to compare times it would be best to use a slow standard car rather than a faster tuned one.

Didn’t do the most recent Sport races my last ones I entered were about three days ago, the Atenza at blue moon can’t remember my time (56.1 seems to be familiar) and Gr. 4 kyoto, quali time of 1:42.053, For me the match making has worked this being being the best race I had:

Qualy Lap.

Race.

Also do you run any aids? I only use ABS.

Only ABS.

Have added you as a friend on PSN you’ll always be able to see me qualy time and the car I’ve used.

Just did the 10 lap race in Gr.3 at Maggiore. My pole lap was 2:02 from 2 tries. Best race lap was also something like that. Still struggling fo grip with this VW Beetle.

Anyway the fastest lap in our race was 1:56.... And what’s even more frustrating is the race ending 15 seconds before I would cross the line. :banghead:

This imbalance in skill needs to be fixed if they want people to continue playing. I don’t about SR matching, if the skill doesn’t match it a lot more frustrating.

There's a region lock? I played with people from South Africa yesterday and it went quite well. We are in the same time zone however so maybe that's what counts?

In sport mode there is. I've raced internationally in the open lobbies and lag has been minimal, I expect it to be even better with dedicated servers in sport mode.

I want the thrill of racing people from around the globe, not just a few local countries

Just did the 10 lap race in Gr.3 at Maggiore. My pole lap was 2:02 from 2 tries. Best race lap was also something like that. Still struggling fo grip with this VW Beetle.

Anyway the fastest lap in our race was 1:56.... And what’s even more frustrating is the race ending 15 seconds before I would cross the line. :banghead:

This imbalance in skill needs to be fixed if they want people to continue playing. I don’t about SR matching, if the skill doesn’t match it a lot more frustrating.

How do you expect to be competitive if you only ran 2 laps before jumping in to the race? You can't learn a car/track combo in 2 laps!

How do you expect to be competitive if you only ran 2 laps before jumping in to the race? You can't learn a car/track combo in 2 laps!

You’re completely missing the point here. I know I can be better if I race this track and car combo a lot more. That is not what it’s about, I qualified with a 2:02 so the game should match me of equal skill players.

2 days ago I started playing Sport mode when the game had absolutely no data from me yet. The matching then was great, I was often qualifying and racing in the top 5 or top 3. Now that I race more Incan barely make it to the top 10 and I’m just a filler in races for the fast guys who score lap times way out of my reach.

You’re completely missing the point here. I know I can be better if I race this track and car combo a lot more. That is not what it’s about, I qualified with a 2:02 so the game should match me of equal skill players.

It doesn’t match a qually time it matches your DR for pace ....

2 days ago I started playing Sport mode when the game had absolutely no data from me yet. The matching then was great, I was often qualifying and racing in the top 5 or top 3. Now that I race more I can barely make it to the top 10 and I’m just a filler in races for the fast guys who score lap times way out of my reach.

If, as people are saying, the matching is a combination of SR and DR, and you're racing against similar SR/DR, and they have put more effort in to learning the car/track (not difficult, given you've only done 2 laps!), you are going to get slaughtered.

The game will not match you off your qualifying time - if it did that people could sandbag, get put in against slower drivers and then just drive away from them

If, as people are saying, the matching is a combination of SR and DR, and you're racing against similar SR/DR, and they have put more effort in to learning the car/track (not difficult, given you've only done 2 laps!), you are going to get slaughtered.

The game will not match you off your qualifying time - if it did that people could sandbag, get put in against slower drivers and then just drive away from them
Yeah I understand that but this race I’m now waiting for example, I’m DS and the top qualifier is AS. Heck the entire top 5 is BS or CS. Everyone is S. Sec race now ;p

Yeah I understand that but this race I’m now waiting for example, I’m DS and the top qualifier is AS. Heck the entire top 5 is BS or CS. Everyone is S. Sec race now ;p

So 5 out of the whole grid are higher DR than you?

Could be that there aren't enough other A's and B's to form a full grid at this time of day on the particular combo you're running, so the server has no option but to put them in the available race - it's mid morning on a work/school day.

I'd expect to have some drivers from a higher class - when I was DRE I would say at least half the grid was DRC, and at DRC, half thee grid or more was DRB.

I also would expect PD will need time to fine tune the matching process.

You managed to get your sportsman rank to A. I think you are faster than D driving rank. driving more dirty is not the solution but driving even more carefully and faster is.

if you been just cruising in the back of the race to increase your sportsman rank, now its time to prove yourself among faster safer drivers.

:some controller users tend to dive bomb overtake (forza style) in tight corners where they really did not calculate enough space to pass, don't do this!
:size up your opponent, if the person in front of you is slow due to other cars blocking ahead, stay patient and don't crowd the driving space. wait for a clear opening and make a move
:if you brake too early and don't fully know the track, move out the way! qualify qualify qualify
: if someone has traded paint with you giving you a strike on your sports rating, don't crack under pressure.
: have fun!

Last edited:
So 5 out of the whole grid are higher DR than you?

Could be that there aren't enough other A's and B's to form a full grid at this time of day on the particular combo you're running, so the server has no option but to put them in the available race - it's mid morning on a work/school day.

I'd expect to have some drivers from a higher class - when I was DRE I would say at least half the grid was DRC, and at DRC, half thee grid or more was DRB.

I also would expect PD will need time to fine tune the matching process.

Yes I think the match making is so bad because there are not that many people playing. I only just once had 20 player race but that was ages ago.

I’m going to focus now on setting a proper qualifying time and then try again tonight when it’s Euro prime time and probably more people are playing.

Yes I think the match making is so bad because there are not that many people playing. I only just once had 20 player race but that was ages ago.

I’m going to focus now on setting a proper qualifying time and then try again tonight when it’s Euro prime time and probably more people are playing.

👍

I've only had 20 car grids... but when I race it's 19:00-23:00 GMT, so prime time.

Nice way to be elitist bro. I’m sure he wishes he was as fast as you.

That is a ridiculous thing to say

a) This is a competitive multiplayer game - the whole point is to separate people by skill. For there to be a winner there have to be losers.

b) I am definitely not fast hanging around a B/B mostly. The difference between me and D/S Guys is that I know how to race with other cars.

DRD/SRS people aren’t racing, they’re just lapping with other cars on track - there is a big difference. They need to learn to race as well as be clean.

People are taking this whole sport mode thing way to seriously. I couldn't care less what letter they assign me for DR and SR... Race with honor and go as fast as you can! Don't deliberately slam someone and don't drive miss daisy at the back just to boost your SR... Soon as I have the trophies I'll likely not bother with sport mode again! Much better racing in the open lobbies anyway.
I reckon a lot of folk just want the trophies out the way and done. I've completed all past Gran Turismo's and I'll complete this one too :)

That is a ridiculous thing to say

a) This is a competitive multiplayer game - the whole point is to separate people by skill. For there to be a winner there have to be losers.

b) I am definitely not fast hanging around a B/B mostly. The difference between me and D/S Guys is that I know how to race with other cars.

DRD/SRS people aren’t racing, they’re just lapping with other cars on track - there is a big difference. They need to learn to race as well as be clean.

It will be competitive when they add fuel consumption/damage/tyre wear and longer races.Until then its hotlapping with others around.The better your starting positions the better your chances to get a good result.
I sometimes get placed in lobbies with under 0.00.800 difference from 1st to the last guy.The last guy always has zero chance to win the race even if he was racing and was not "just" lapping.

People are taking this whole sport mode thing way to seriously. I couldn't care less what letter they assign me for DR and SR... Race with honor and go as fast as you can! Don't deliberately slam someone and don't drive miss daisy at the back just to boost your SR... Soon as I have the trophies I'll likely not bother with sport mode again! Much better racing in the open lobbies anyway.
I reckon a lot of folk just want the trophies out the way and done. I've completed all past Gran Turismo's and I'll complete this one too :)
I've heard almost no mention at all about open lobbies. What's happening on that front? Is it busy? Is the racing good?

I've heard almost no mention at all about open lobbies. What's happening on that front? Is it busy? Is the racing good?
I know! It's almost unbelievable... Definitely a case of, can't see the wood for the trees! All I'm seeing around here is people whinging and crying about sport mode... In all honesty I think 'sport mode' is pathetic! Weak tracks, low laps, terrible drivers, most of the bitching about it is justified....

With an open lobby, all that goes away, set your own rules, set the track, the laps... and if any clowns come in, kick them out! Had a great time the other night racing Super GT with a great bunch, no assists, round all the best tracks.

Even just a track day at the ring... I can waste away hours just tinkering with settings and pushing my limits, it's pure bliss! This is the Gran Turismo I know and love.

25 wins in sport mode for me at the moment, once I hit those 71 or whatever it is I'm done with it :)

It will be competitive when they add fuel consumption/damage/tyre wear and longer races.Until then its hotlapping with others around.The better your starting positions the better your chances to get a good result.
I sometimes get placed in lobbies with under 0.00.800 difference from 1st to the last guy.The last guy always has zero chance to win the race even if he was racing and was not "just" lapping.

Well if this is your attitude, then why do you care what position you finish? If it’s just hotlapping for you, stay out of the way and enjoy reviewing your lap times.

For anyone to win, someone has to come second. If you start at the back and make up a few places that is a good result. If it was possible to win from last on the grid in every race this would be Mario Kart not GT.

Haha in hindsight maybe I should have waited a day until the patch had taken effect because it looks like someone has now sorted the problem out, had a good few races tonight, this one was best, qualified 8, was 2nd for the majority & then fumbled on the last few laps & came 4th but what a good race. I'm a happy chappie now, see you on the grid :D
Gran Turismo™SPORT_20171103201220.jpg
Gran Turismo™SPORT_20171103203707.jpg

Back