Matt Sentell, revealed as Design Lead at Turn 10, was Director of Grand Prix Legends at Papyrus

HyperSpeeder

(Banned)
Brazil
Brazil
The new face in yesterday's #ForzaMonthly stream was Matt Sentell, who was introduced as Design Lead for Turn 10's products. I learned he used to be employed at Papyrus and did a little search on him.

Turns out he was one of the prominent staff behind Grand Prix Legends, which is one of the most passionate (and difficult!) sim racing games ever made. I think GPL was the first game to have pre-aero F1 cars. It featured the 1965 F1 season with its cars and tracks, and had neat features such as a fully animated shifter with individual shifts (the driver would shift into 3rd, 4th as in real life) and one of the most praised physics engines of its era, if a little too difficult.

GPL sold almost nothing (only 200,000 copies), but people were asking for more passion from Turn 10's staff in the making of Forza Motorsport and I think Matt fits the bill. He went on to work on the Medal of Honor games afterwards.

Thoughts?

GPL came out in 1998.

I'm guessing a significant proportion of Forza's audience werent born, dont care, wouldnt recognise the game or that genre.

A 1998 PC is very divorced from a 2013 Xbox.

David Kaemmer was the other main guy no one cares about.

I have spent countless hours behind the wheel at GPL. 8 hour race at Monza, real time. Even had a mod that made the drivers look inside in the turns.
I loved that game.

Spent 5 years playing GPL and with all the mods and track add-ons..... 1967 F1 and USAC IndyCars... Eventually modded with wings, etc..... Every track imaginable..... Awesome news.

Knowing the record of T10 studios, they can have all the talent they want, but they will disregard that talent for whatever their "focus groups" say.

I'm not expecting anything from this news.

The record of Turn 10 is... listening... to focus groups?

Anyway, GPL was a classic. I had a friend who owned half a dozen boxed copies that he slowly gave away to friends (me included). The original NASCAR Racing by Papyrus was the game that got me to convince my dad to upgrade our 486/66 computer from 8MB of RAM to 16MB.

Knowing the record of T10 studios, they can have all the talent they want, but they will disregard that talent for whatever their "focus groups" say.

I'm not expecting anything from this news.

Truth.
He won’t come in knocking down walls and making changes.

Back