Mazda Might Bring Back the MX-6 Coupe According to a Trademark Filing

Here we go, 5-speed, low miles:

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-Mazda-MX-6-d222#listing=219719021

An extra $900 gets that baby shipped to you wherever you live in the US. No need to wait till Mazda designs one, you can have a manual MX6 right now.
That's actually the kinda car I'd want if I ever moved to the US and had to find something at fairly short notice. Good price, unlikely to go expensively wrong, decent performance etc. I know the UK has a reputation for really cheap used cars, but it looks like there are still some pretty good ones over there too.

Like This?
Mazda_Atenza_Gr.3_Road_Car.jpg

So much focus on the new ones when you can still buy the great old ones! In manual transmission no less!

https://asheville.craigslist.org/cto/d/95-mazda-mx-6/6767606802.html
$2100

This one is a little worse for wear, but it's half price!
https://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/d/1993-mazda-mx6/6760061557.html

Edit:

Actually I'm a little surprised at how effectively the MX6 has disappeared.
The upright GTs, were the best in my opinion. I remember, at the time, they were rated at about 140hp, but had more like 180hp. Friend of mine got a, then new, '89 black auto GT. That was considered the one to have, as to keep boost up over the manual. Good memories.

Genuinely cheaper than 240Zs in the UK too.

Let's take a few steps backwards here.

The basis of your argument is that I'm chastising people who can't afford to buy brand new cars for wanting manuals in everything, when that's not at all the case, would be illogical to do so. As you note, many of us here regularly discuss vehicles we can't afford.

But maybe @Dopplegagger isn't a poor destitute gamer like the rest of us apparently are and could write a check tomorrow for a manual MX-6 if Mazda made one. Statistically speaking though, he probably wouldn't, which is why manufacturers don't offer them. That is the situation I'm commenting on.

If your response to a throwaway comment is a three-paragraph tirade to say I'm mocking people, gloating, making people feel unwelcome, twisting facts, casting judgement and being condescending (did I miss any?), somehow all in the space of a line or two, then I feel like it's out of proportion to either my attitude or the content of my post.

You know... for "Not having a go at me" you sure keep mentioning me. Please stop. I'm not in the mood for arguing on the internet.

Thank you.

@homeforsummer -- Dude, I singled you out with my first post to make a broader point that isn't just about you -- "Not just you alone" -- only because I respect you and you are one member I had not already given up on, in my vain hope of trying to get anyone who doesn't already agree with me to understand where I'm coming from...like I have understood and conceded the facts, arguments, and cases against buying, driving, or building manual transmission cars, for a long time.

I've been angling for reciprocity on this subject for literally a decade here. Forgive me for thinking instances like this (in jest or not) and the "lol, Jalopnik" jokes are evidence that my desire for mutual understanding and the posts I've written trying to find it have been repeatedly blown off.

...Statistically speaking [someone who can afford a new car] probably wouldn't [buy one with a manual], which is why manufacturers don't offer them. That is the situation I'm commenting on.
You cannot tell me you don't think I am already 110% aware of this. This is what I mean about a failure of reciprocity, of mutual respect and understanding.

If your response to a throwaway comment is a three-paragraph tirade to say I'm mocking people, gloating, making people feel unwelcome, twisting facts, casting judgement and being condescending (did I miss any?), somehow all in the space of a line or two, then I feel like it's out of proportion to either my attitude or the content of my post.
Mocking -- yes, wasn't that the point, only light-hearted?
Gloating -- not you.
Unwelcome -- overall picture.
Twisting facts, casting judgment -- that was referring to a hypothetical immature manual diehard who doesn't have their facts straight and casts judgment on people who don't drive manual. By all means, set them straight.
Condescending -- only if/when someone is told to suck it up and buy a new manual transmission car if they want to make a difference (even though they can't).

If I misunderstood the intention of your initial reply, I apologize for that.

@homeforsummer -- Dude, I singled you out with my first post to make a broader point that isn't just about you -- "Not just you alone" -- only because I respect you and you are one member I had not already given up on, in my vain hope of trying to get anyone who doesn't already agree with me to understand where I'm coming from...like I have understood and conceded the facts, arguments, and cases against buying, driving, or building manual transmission cars, for a long time.

I've been angling for reciprocity on this subject for literally a decade here. Forgive me for thinking instances like this (in jest or not) and the "lol, Jalopnik" jokes are evidence that my desire for mutual understanding and the posts I've written trying to find it have been repeatedly blown off.
I do understand what you're getting at, and I appreciate you taking the time to explain what you meant on this occasion.
If I misunderstood the intention of your initial reply, I apologize for that.
Judging by a few posts above it seems my biggest mistake was originally replying to someone who doesn't seem keen on discussing anything in a discussion forum in the first place ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ But I'm sorry for dragging this out - I didn't expect a fairly off-the-cuff comment to stir up the manual/auto froth once again.

Though at the risk of digging myself a deeper hole...
I doubt it will be anything special, considering the current auto-maker trends.
This, for me, is the opposite side of the manual thing (and for avoidance of doubt Husky, I'm not having a go at you! It's just a convenient post to reference).

As someone who spends a lot of time driving new cars of all types, it frustrates me that people seem predisposed to certain ideas about them: that their distant predecessors were somehow better, that all the fun has gone, that they're too complex, that they're just "wrong" somehow based on personal preference for one model plucked from the range decades ago.

While I get it (in all honesty, cars from the 1980s and 1990s are my "thing" - I did grow up with Gran Turismo, after all), I also think there's still a hell of a lot of great stuff out there. I often have one of them sitting right outside my house, and it's not always one of the expensive, unobtainable ones either!

Maybe it's not always available in all markets, so people miss out sometimes (say, relative lack of hot hatchbacks in the US, or virtually all of us missing out on neat stuff like the Honda S660) but in general people shouldn't be depressed about the state of new cars, and when they'll inevitably buy them used a decade down the line for pennies, they'll be getting cars that are (generally) far more reliable, haven't rusted as easily, have better build quality and much more bang per buck than the ones they currently see as superior. And honestly a better driving experience in many cases too.

The irony of all the above is that Husky will probably be right about a future MX-6 though :lol: I know Mazda gets an easy ride on GTP because its current stuff looks good and handles well, but at the same time there's nothing inherently special about say, a Mazda 3 or Mazda 6. They're just fairly unremarkable cars that happen to look nice. Given it's unlikely that a future MX-6 will have a small-capacity V6 or rear-drive (though I believe Mazda is still keen on offering manuals, so I'd genuinely be surprised if that's not an option) we'll still be looking at probably a quite-large two-door sedan with Mazda 6 bits underneath...

At this rate even a Sedan will be a rarity, right now with pretty much everyone I know, if they are not a car enthusiast then they have an SUV or desire to get it for their next car.

@homeforsummer -- I'm glad it's cleared up. It was my mistake to avoid naming names in an attempt to avoid making it a bigger thing.

As for new cars and the way they're going, I have more specific concerns/peeves than what you listed. Excluding those certain things that I consider to be not worth the intended benefits -- sorry, I'm not in the mood to go over them now, in this thread -- you're right that cars are better than they've ever been. I even like modern exterior styling, which seems to be a relatively unpopular opinion.

I love old cars but I'm not attached to them. My Legacy is without a doubt the best car I've owned, and much of that has to do with it being an 2006 car, and not a '97 or '85. It's quite a step forward in time from the Forester, too.

Back