Mazda MX-30 (EV)

I was hoping it was some kind of hybrid coupe because it'd be interested in leasing one. Now that I see it's some weird CX-30 with RX-8 doors, I'm no longer interested :lol:

Not bad for Mazda's first attempt at an EV. The significant downside is the 35.5kWh battery, but if that leads to a relatively light EV then it could be fun to drive. Looks pretty sporty too thanks to the RX-8 influence.

I dig it. Find the MX badging interesting too. Wonder if it's because of the roofline (I'm inferring "coupe" from it, in modern parlance at least...), or whether it's a statement of intent for the way it drives. Hoping it's the latter - while I can take or leave another crossover-like vehicle, I'm hoping Mazda's engineers have seen fit to make it fun to drive.

The overall aesthetic is interesting. I wonder if MX is also to separate the car from Mazda's more conventional ones? Maybe future MXs will look different from the existing Kodo language we've seen from things like the recent 3 and presumably the upcoming 6. The interior design and choice of materials is already quite different from something like the 3.

Here are the press photos from the reveal

mazda_100721142_h.jpg

mazda_100721143_h.jpg

mazda_100721148_h.jpg

mazda_100721154_h.jpg

mazda-mx-30_100721159_h.jpg

141 hp and 195 lb-ft of torque
35.5 kWh lithium-ion battery which has a claimed range of 130 miles
There'll be a range-extender model with a rotary engine, rumors are that it'll be revealed in November at the LA Auto Show.

Mazda has developed the MX-30 to perform much like a conventional car. Instead of instant torque, power is delivered gradually. Regenerative braking is also mild, meaning no 1-pedal driving, and piped-in sounds get louder as the vehicle accelerates to mimic the building of engine revs. Mazda may allow drivers to disable this last feature, since many EV buyers appreciate the lack of engine noise.

No confirmation for it to come to America yet, though it is rumored it'll come in 2021.

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1125663_mazda-mx-30-electric-suv-debuts-with-rx-8-style-doors

I saw this the other day and I can't believe I didn't notice it earlier

Mazda recently confirmed its first all-electric crossover SUV would be coming to the United States, and it would have a rotary-engine range extender.

I feel that Mazda was trying to take a good jab at the BMW i3 with this MX-30

I am warming to this...

Last edited:
Unfortunately it's pretty ugly. It's not smooth and svelt like Mazda's other cars, it's thick and blocky, and for some reason all the edges are very thick. It looks like it was drawn with a marker rather than a pencil. It looks nothing like any of Mazda's concept cars from the past couple decades and I'm really not sure why they took it so far off course.

i honestly kinda like it, but nowhere near as much as their other current crop of cars. My biggest concern is the plastic trim. Why does the CX-30 and the MX-30 have such enormous, cheap and rugged plastic trimming on otherwise relatively elegant designs?

i honestly kinda like it, but nowhere near as much as their other current crop of cars. My biggest concern is the plastic trim. Why does the CX-30 and the MX-30 have such enormous, cheap and rugged plastic trimming on otherwise relatively elegant designs?

While I agree with you, apparently car designers think SUV/CUV must have plastic trims to make them look rugged...

While I agree with you, apparently car designers think SUV/CUV must have plastic trims to make them look rugged...
That may be true for some cars, but for the CX-30, and I assume also for the MX-30, the black plastic trim is to reduce the visual mass of the body.

Skip to 9:50ish (I'd link it correctly but I'm on mobile)

Also, by the way, most of the news about the MX-30, including the rotary engine, has already been discussed in the main CX/MX thread

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/mazda-cx-mx-range-discussion.332873/page-9#post-13253197

Last edited:

I think it'll sell to a similar market as the i3 - that is, second or third cars for up-market customers in urban areas. A daily driver back and forth to the office that is cheaper and more efficient to operate than a 7-series or LS or XJ. I doubt that many people will buy this as a primary car although it would work in cities like LA, Denver, NYC, etc. But for the most part, a large portion of the population between the coasts live in suburbs and often drive 2+ hours throughout their region, often enough that 100 miles of range simply isn't enough.

Back