Mazda CX/MX range discussion

• Thread starter 05XR8
  • 400 comments
That is a lot of body cladding, but it makes the car appear bigger so that's pretty cool. Didn't expect Mazda to go with CX-30, but the name makes sense... Kinda. They screwed up the consistency by basing the CX-3 on the Mazda 2 platform. :P

I don't get this "there's 2 inches in space difference between two of our SUV's so let's make one that sits right in the middle" mentality with manufactures these days.

This has to be one of the highest cladding-to-metal ratios since probably the Honda element. :lol:

Looks pretty good, generally. Better than the CX-3 anyways. I see that it has the Mazda3 interior and I should think it will be priced 5-10% higher than the 3. But with the CX-3 starting at just over $20,000 and the CX-5 starting at about $24,000, is there really room for another model in that price bracket? I thought surely this would just replace the CX-3. I suppose this is aimed squarely at the Subaru Crosstrek meaning a starting price of around $21-22k, but I think it will just cannibalize CX-3/CX-5 sales more than anything. Mazda is confounding sometimes...

Doesn't look too bad in a car port
mazda-cx-30-lider-1024x468.jpg

That is a lot of body cladding, but it makes the car appear bigger so that's pretty cool. Didn't expect Mazda to go with CX-30, but the name makes sense... Kinda. They screwed up the consistency by basing the CX-3 on the Mazda 2 platform. :P
Maybe this means the CX-3 will be renamed the CX-20 or at least CX-2. Not sure how the CX-5 will be affected. Maybe call it the CX-6 or CX-60 to match the 6 cause they have the same engines. Unless they kill off the CX-5 in favor of this instead.

CX-5 Skyactiv D coming to the US.

https://www.carscoops.com/2019/04/m...-to-america-will-bring-diesel-awd-mazda6-too/

The 2.2-liter Skyactiv-D unit features a sequential twin turbocharger that provides smooth response from low to high engine speeds, while increasing the low- and high-end torque. The mill produces 168 horsepower (170 PS / 125 kW) at 4,000 rpm and 290 pound-feet (393 Nm) of torque at 2,000 rpm.

Mazda says they worked closely with all federal and state agencies to ensure that the engine meets the required emission standards and passes all appropriate regulations. The unit returns an EPA estimated 27/30/28 mpg in city/highway/combined, which it says, represents 15 per cent savings over the equivalent gasoline model.

168hp and 30mpg highway for a diesel? C'mon....

I don't think they would sell a single unit in the US with those specs.

edit: A diesel, awd, manual, wagon Mazda6. Now I would be interested in that....

168hp and 30mpg highway for a diesel? C'mon....

I don't think they would sell a single unit in the US with those specs.

edit: A diesel, awd, manual, wagon Mazda6. Now I would be interested in that....

In the US, you'd be probably one of two people that would be interested and could afford it.

The MX-30 has been flying under the radar. Yes, the performance, range and SUV form factor seem unremarkable in these current times, but I am curious to see the benefits of Mazda's approach. Hopefully the car is not too heavy and the driving experience is as engaging as they say it is.

In other news, the First Edition can be specified in Mazda's glorious Soul Red metallic paint. I would rather have the side pillars in red too, but this will do! :cool:
MX-30.png

I think that the previous mazda SUV generation was better. :mouton:
The design of these become too abstract.
Looks more like an MG/Haval/everything else that looks like this. Will the next one get a more pronounced Alfazda style grille design? Might help to give it more of the family resemblance.

I can't put my finger on why, but the MX-30 seems pretty cool. The REX version could have some appeal stateside. I would be interested...probably more so than any other Mazda products on sale right now.

*an MX30*
I have some OPINIONS about this model of vehicle so buckle the hell up.

It's absolutely perfectly aimed and marketed towards a market niche that does not, and maybe can not, exist. People love suicide doors on their SUVs, especially when Mazda do it. Five seats is too many, let's just give it four. If it's a low-range electric vehicle, even better. Conspicuous economy badging on the C-Pillar is the best way to move units, let's make it a contrasting color while we're in there - that worked so well for Jaguar. For range extenders, how about we resurrect something that's only usable in racing? Now onto the name: It's a new type of vehicle, should it get (a) a new name, (b) discreetly slotted into the lineup of SUVs, or (c) named after a classical roadster? Now it's time to style it: Let's take the elegant, feminine curves of the rest of the lineup, and pair it with generic bulky baroque cladding. Genius, now it looks like 2008-era Dodge were told to render a BMW i3.

Wait a second.

Suicide doors. Four seats. Low range. Weird range extender. Sportscar naming.

It literally is a knockoff i3. Conceptually, if not aesthetically. Difference being, the i3 was genius and far too beautiful for this world, whereas this is a misinformed and frankly pale imitation.

The interior tells you which of these two is sincere, and which is confused. The i3 has dashboard and door panels made out of very conspicuously recycled fiberglass. Unique, pleasing to the touch and to the eye, fits perfectly with the car's eco image and sustainable production. The MX-30 comes with (apparently optional) cork interior trim. Unique, pleasing to the touch and to the eye, and a lovely callback to Mazda's origins as a cork manufacturer. One problem.

Cork is endangered.

First impressions are starting to roll in for the MX-30, InsideEVs has scored it a 7/10 and summarised it as an EV for enthusiasts rather than those obsessed with range. Additionally, there are a bunch of new shots of the MX-30 in red:
mazda-mx-30-2020-im-test.jpg

So we finally have confirmation that Mazda is producing car using a rotary-powered engine... But only as a range-extender?
confused stonks.jpg

So we finally have confirmation that Mazda is producing car using a rotary-powered engine... But only as a range-extender?
View attachment 963573

Well, remember that the Mazda CEO said this back in 2013 about a rotary powered car:

"It has to be a viable commercial proposition. If we are going to adopt it, it has to be a product that can generate at least sales of 100,000 units a year. We have to be able to achieve a profit."

I'm not sure how much this RE-REX would have in common with a prime-mover RE (such as an RX-# engine) but it would make more business sense if there was some significant volume attached to that powertrain that wouldn't be ordinarily possible in a low volume sports car. Stated another way, the MX-5 wouldn't exist if it couldn't borrow a powertrain from the major volume offerings. If Mazda gets this APU right, it could be something they could actually sell to other manufacturers (looking at you, Toyota) - the rotary has some tangible benefits in this application: very compact size, very smooth operation, reliability (if run at a steady state RPM, rotaries are quite reliable) and possibly good fuel economy (again, if it's not having to idle or run at low load, low RPM conditions). I'm curious to see the tech! Mazda has been experimenting with this system since at least 2013, probably earlier.

I still don't understand the styling of this car. It looks like its made from Legos or something. Like one of those plastic Playskool cars that toddlers bump around in. Like the inflatable pool toy version of a real car. It totally eschews Mazda's smooth flowing lines for a very upright, brick-like design. Everything about it is thick and blocky and looks like it's full of helium. It's not necessarily ugly, it's just...weird, and it doesn't look like a Mazda. I really don't like it at all. The CX-30 by comparison is svelt and sexy.

Edit: The front end looks like a CX-30 that got stung by a bee and is allergic.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back