Mazda RX-8??

• Thread starter code131158
  • 20 comments
GTP_code13
I'm planning to buy this one.... 2004/2005 1.3 l 192hp. Been searching the web for reviews,pros-cons- any advice? can't just buy one to find out myself because this car still cost alot in norway, about 260 000 - 300 000 norwegian kroners = 35 789 $ - 41 295 $.

Pretty sure that's a common car among you guys and need some help and advice with this choice.

If you own one, had one or your friends or family had/has one please share your experience with me.

Thanks alot.

Get one ... its the car i have wanted for a long long time.. but due to being under 25 and insurance a bitch i cant afford it

its a mazda so it wont break

i have drive 3 of them so nice to drive .. you need to rev it a lot tho to get anything out of it

I hear they handle amazingly, but there are also issues with the rotary engine. I know they had a lot of problems with them hydrolocking if you start it and shut it off before its warmed up. Thats something I would do some research on before buying.

Try to find some owners experiences regarding fuel and oil consumption. I heard these things drink quite a lot, but like so often in the media, it might be overblown.

19 MPG and you need to refill the oil like ever 3-4 months

also the stock tires are a bit skittish in the rain .. and snow .. don't bother get the bus

Last edited:
Wow, that's expensive for the low power version. They handle like they're on rails, not sure what the 192hp version is like though. Yes it does drink oil, because it was designed to do so on purpose. I suggest going over to rx8club.com if you want to ask actual RX-8 owners.

Last edited:
I drove an 01 RX8 for a day or so, they are pretty cool, thirsty if your driving is 'spirited'. They are pretty tight in the cockpit, but i'm sure your aware of this. Also, you really need to be revving the s*** out of them to get them going, I was pretty disappointed with its power to be honest, really great handling though! Plus they have this annoying as 'ding' sound that comes on as you redline which I would have removed! Sound mint on rev limit!

What I've heard pretty much matches what's been said before.
  • Low torque
  • High Oil consumption
  • Not the best fuel consumption
  • Handles very well.

I drove an 01 RX8 for a day or so, they are pretty cool, thirsty if your driving is 'spirited'. They are pretty tight in the cockpit, but i'm sure your aware of this. Also, you really need to be revving the s*** out of them to get them going, I was pretty disappointed with its power to be honest, really great handling though! Plus they have this annoying as 'ding' sound that comes on as you redline which I would have removed! Sound mint on rev limit!

Atleast it's a chime sound this time around. You should have heard the alarm in my FC RX-7, that was annoying.

I'm planning to buy this one.... 2004/2005 1.3 l 192hp. Been searching the web for reviews,pros-cons- any advice? can't just buy one to find out myself because this car still cost alot in norway, about 260 000 - 300 000 norwegian kroners = 35 789 $ - 41 295 $.

Pretty sure that's a common car among you guys and need some help and advice with this choice.

If you own one, had one or your friends or family had/has one please share your experience with me.

Thanks alot.
An automatic? The manual transmission car is rated at 238hp.

I've never driven an automatic, but just about every review I've read has been more about why to drive a manual instead. The engine is taxed, and the 4-speed auto doesn't help it any. The chassis is great, but the powertrain is seriously lacking. And it gets abysmal fuel mileage, just like the manual and every rotary in history. Non-warranty maintenance costs can be high depending on the the mishap--flooded engines are very common. It's as simple as pulling the car into the garage. When you turn off the rotary while it's cold without giving it a few minutes to idle and warm a bit, chances are it'll flood when it turns off. That'll be a $250 spark plug job (at the dealer, not your driveway) and a thorough pumping of automatic transmission fluid to clear out all the fuel. That's just an example.

An automatic? The manual transmission car is rated at 238hp.

I've never driven an automatic, but just about every review I've read has been more about why to drive a manual instead. The engine is taxed, and the 4-speed auto doesn't help it any. The chassis is great, but the powertrain is seriously lacking. And it gets abysmal fuel mileage, just like the manual and every rotary in history. Non-warranty maintenance costs can be high depending on the the mishap--flooded engines are very common. It's as simple as pulling the car into the garage. When you turn off the rotary while it's cold without giving it a few minutes to idle and warm a bit, chances are it'll flood when it turns off. That'll be a $250 spark plug job (at the dealer, not your driveway) and a thorough pumping of automatic transmission fluid to clear out all the fuel. That's just an example.

Actually, outside of North America Mazda sells the RX-8 in both the low power 192hp and high power 238hp engine with manual transmissions.

Well how about that. That'll make it less slower than the 238hp unit, lol.

Hi thanks for all the answeres...I spend the whole yesterdays afternoon to read trough everything I could find (well...not true but..) and it pretty sums up the things you've just said. I found that several have had to replace engines, de-flood it, oil type & consumptions, cold-shut-off. - the most alarming thing is that it seems many people had to have their engine replaced and car towed in - I don't know if they've taken care of their rx-8 neither will I know when I buy it used from some dude - who knows... it's kinda risky - but i love the looks of the rx-8.

Planning to get a body kit + carbon hood and carbon spoiler - I think this would be cool on a red or silver rx-8.

drifterx said: "...Also, you really need to be revving the s*** out of them to get them going"

really? what do you mean by going? I sure hope that it's not that bad - but I hear revving is good for the engine, that true? That low rpm is not good for the engine? Anyways - I really want to get this car (rx-8 manual 192 or 238hp) with silver or red color - but I have doubts now: scared of sitting there with a big loan and no engine incar. But there are almost no other "sports"/ car with RWD execpt you for BMW, Mercedes and a few Lotus Elise - and none of those appeal to me.

Doesnt it kill your brain - discussing back and forth whenever you're upto a big buy? I'm like this when buying LCD tv's too. God help me.

I drove an RX-8 6MT when they came out a few years back. I concur with the general sentiment of the thread goers here: handling is first class, nice interior but a little tight on space (my head touched the roofliner in the sunroof equipped car I drove and I'm only 5'11"), and flat low-RPM performance.

You have to drive the car like you're angry in order to extract any sort of performance out of it. In that respect it's not dissimilar to an S2000. Below 6000 RPM the motor has no balls to speak of. It's only after 6000 that puberty hits and you finally feel like you're in a sports car. The 231 hp version is brisk when you get it going, but I fear the ~190 hp version is no quicker than your average economy car and will be left for dead by any modern hot hatch.

It's a nice car in 231 hp/6 MT trim. Incredibly well balanced and easy to drive fast. Some people don't like the way it looks but I think it's lovely --especially in Winning Blue. Brakes could be better, though. Could also use about 80 more hp; I'm sure the chassis can handle it.

EDIT: RX-8 with a small block Chevy transplant FTW!

M

hehe...thanks for all the help guys. Guess I've made up my mind now. Been reading forums for 5 hours now. It seems like there's ALOT of people who has problem with this car's engine related problems. Even many people with problems in little Norway - most of the problems were of 2004 models. So I will def. NOT buy a 2004 model at current price.

So I guess I'm gonna save up some extra money and buy a High Power 2005 model next year sometime. Or maybe something else... anyways thanks for all the replies. And good night!

M-Spec summed up what I meant by revving it, if you want to drive somewhat 'spirited' you need to be angry, and forget that its your car, and redline it constantly etc etc

And as for auto, I really would'nt bother aye

Auto is a lot slower as it has less ports but you can get them with flappy padels if that's your kinda thing
the 198bhp has more torque 5 gears but only revs to 7k
but the 231bph is faster has 6 gears and revs too 9.5k

If you didn't know you can tell the two apart without getting close .. the 231bhp has headlight washers and the 198 dose not .. it is not an optional extra either.

Back